Wave 11

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 11-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #226
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS1 View Post
Nice, seems like you are getting pretty good at picking out 9.8 candidates.
Yeah... I had a few misses in the mix, but was also surprised a couple I was concerned about hit 9.8. One of my Artgerm SS books on a different invoice graded at 9.2 with no motes. That was a big disappointed, and to add salt to the wound the duplicate copy also missed the mark at 9.6.

Started scanning yesterday, hope to finish and upload tonight. Gotta get the extras up on ebay quick! Going to Italy on 12/13 Simi don't have a huge window to sell anything for the Christmas season.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #227
Spider-Fan

Didn't pick up a ton for the NJ Comic Expo today, but very happy with the few books I did take home with me.

Traded one of my extra Deadpool 33 Trading Card Variant CGC 9.8 SS signed by Jim Lee for this one.

Scored this for $10 off the Dynamic Forces table. Went back to buy another one and they were marked $20 each, which makes sense since the unsigned/remarked copies were $10. Guess I got lucky They had DF variants for $10, or 10 for $50. There weren't 10 that I wanted, but in hindsight I wish I grabbed the few that I wanted and then just filled the gap to 10 with additional copies of this one that I could have gotten remarked by other artists at upcoming conventions.

A few really nice $1 box finds. These are all in really nice condition. The ASM359 has a few color breaking spine ticks and a dimple, but the other two didn't have any obvious defects. Will have to give them a closer look and decide if they are worth grading.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #228
Spider-Fan

Smile My new PC Signature Series slabs from NYCC

Jim Lee

Artgerm

J. Scott Campbell

Still need to scan a few random slabs and get them uploaded. Maybe tomorrow
Old 11-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #229
CMS1

Wow that is a lot of yellow label. How did you end up with the nice sketch cover?
CMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #230
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS1 View Post
Wow that is a lot of yellow label. How did you end up with the nice sketch cover?
And all but three of those were subbed in duplicate (3 or 4 of some).

The sketch... I told him I was his biggest fan Just kidding.. Honestly, I was just in the right place at the right time and consider myself very lucky. Plus I'm guessing that subbing 30+ books at $30/signature didn't hurt, although I didn't specifically leverage that.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #231
Spider-Fan

Here are the last of them, except the one invoice that is still at CCS for pressing/cleaning prior to be moved to CGC for grading and encapsulation.

The Sheena is signed by Bennett and Lupacchino. The Black Mask FCBD is signed by Rosenberg and Boss. In hindsight, I wish I had asked them to sign the back cover where the store sticker goes (my copies have no store sticker). The FCBD issue did spur me to buy and read the trades for both titles

And here are two that I was able to trade some of my duplicates for. The Spider-Gwen signed by Bruce Timm came from a friend I've been trading with for... well, as long as I've been collecting. The TMNT cover has a sweet remark painting in the corner by cover artist Sajad Shah and is also signed by Eastman.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #232
Spider-Fan

Smile Peter Laird Mailday

I had a few floppies signed by Kevin Eastman a while back. They are nice books, but at the time I didn't think they were worth investing in Signature Series grading (having submitted more 90s era books since then, maybe that was a misstep on my end...). I decided to risk mailing them to co-creator Peter Laird for a second signature. I had luck sending a couple books to him a few years ago when I first got back into collection. Anyway, I was very happy on Saturday when I saw the self-addressed flat rate bubble mailer I sent him was sticking out of my mailbox.

Some closer views of the signatures:

I also included a recent blank comic. Hoping to add Kevin Eastman and a bunch of other signers over the next few years.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #233
Spider-Fan

Default Mike Duron Mailday

If you've followed my threads, you know this guy is one of my favorite artists to work with. I love his style and he is a really cool guy. For the first time ever he was unable to finish my comic cover commission at the show (NYCC 10/2017) but I recently received the finished commission in the mail with a nice little extra on the backer board

My CSS books from NYCC have also finally been received at CGC, so I should have them in hand by this time next month. Sure hope they make that long wait worth it!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #234
Spider-Fan

Grades posted on my CCS books from NYCC

The highlight us my ASM 607 hit 9.8. The low is my USM 152 graded 9.2. Curious to see what I missed on that one, if I can figure it out. Surprise surprise, no grader notes.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #235
Spider-Fan

My plea to the board, for the love of our cards

Gave this app a shot and really pleased. Had to adjust the cropping, but otherwise it worked great. No more shadows or glares on my slabs! Now do I have to redo my entire collection?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_24_18 5_35 PM Office Lens (2).jpg
Views:	602
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	410516  
Old 03-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #236
rokstarr99

I could only find one place in my house where I can photograph a slab without anything reflecting off of it. I’ll give this a shot.
rokstarr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #237
Spider-Fan

I did a few slabs I had already scanned just to get a side-by-side perspective. The scans on the left were enhanced after scanning. The app is definitely going to be a big time saver! I'm not going to redo my entire collection (at least not in the immediate future, but I think I'll be switching to the app moving forward.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 03-25-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #238
refuse24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I did a few slabs I had already scanned just to get a side-by-side perspective. The scans on the left were enhanced after scanning. The app is definitely going to be a big time saver! I'm not going to redo my entire collection (at least not in the immediate future, but I think I'll be switching to the app moving forward.

Wow that’s amazing and nice slabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
refuse24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #239
Spider-Fan

Trying to do more stuff directly from my phone. This should be interesting:

Added Kevin Eatman to the books at Garden State Comic Fest this weekend.

Had this done inside one of my hardcovers:

Picked these up off his table:

Old 08-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #240
Spider-Fan

My latest addition, from a long time favorite sketch card artist.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #241
NYC13

Quote:
My latest addition, from a long time favorite sketch card artist.
Those are great - congrats!

I saw that she posted those on her Instagram account a few days ago.
NYC13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #242
Spider-Fan

Default NYCC'18 in a nutshell

more to come...
Old 10-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #243
rokstarr99

Quote:

more to come...

That's Awesome
Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #244
Spider-Fan

Default NYCC Creator Autographs

I was on a budget this year so I completely cut out CGC submissions and only pursued free creator signatures. I did get a decent number of books signed. Kinda bombed on Thursday which is when I'm normally most productive, but had great days on Friday and Sunday.

Got these signed by Tyler Kirkham. One of my favorite covers he has done. Actually went back to his table Sunday to buy some OA that I had looked at while he was signing these, but he had already packed up and left.

A couple variants I wanted to get signed. Deadpool by one of my favorite artists, Sara Richard. Carnage #1 ASM 300 homage is signed by cover artist Todd Nauck and interior artist Mike Perkins. Harley Quinn Bombshells variant is signed by Conner, Palmiotti, and Ant Lucia. Will add Chad Hardin if I get the chance. Wasn't at NYCC this year.

Got a bunch signed by Artgerm at the DC booth. Was charging $5/book at his table, but would sign one book (not witnessed) for each print that you purchased. Apparently buying his new sketch book didn't qualify for a free signed comic even though it cost more than a print. I do have 9.8 contenders of each of these tucked away for a potential future CGC SS submission.

Got these signed by Mattina at the DC booth. He signed at the same time as Artgerm which was super convenient. He was signing at the Midtown Comics booth all weekend also, but you had to buy the Midtown Stranger Things variant he did, and could only get 2 additional items signed. No interest in the Stranger Things comic so I was really pleased to get into the DC signing.

This Warren Louw is another I have additional copies squirreled away for a future witnessed signing. Love that cover! Also bought his sketch book. He seems like a really nice guy. Submitted 3 copies of that Vampirella book to CGC in 9.8 minimum grading orders - all three got rejected. Figured I get one signed. Also had a couple trading cards featuring his artwork signed.

Have these in CGC 9.8, and the foil versions in CGC SS 9.8. Figured since Jonboy was going to be at NYCC and I'd never met him before, I'd get a couple of my extra books signed and chat for a while.

These were already signed by Skottie Young last year at Baltimore Comic Con. I added Dan Slott, Humberto Ramos, Edgar Delgado, and Victor Olazaba. First one is done and the others only need Stegman and Kubert, respectively, to be completed.

Added Sinclair and Blevins to the HQ21 and Palmiotti to the LBB6. Both pretty much complete, although I'd love to add Dini to the HQ21 if he ever comes around this way.

Not pictured, I got an Ashcans of Unkonwn9 Archives signed by Jae Lee and Mystery Science Theater 3000 signed by Todd Nauck, both at the Dark Horse booth. Also got free signed prints from the Invicta booth (yeah, watches...): Harley Quinn signed by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, Spider-Man signed by Tim Townsend, and Batman and the Joker signed by JIM LEE! Yeah, first time I met Jim Lee. I was pretty excited to get into that one, and the prints are awesome. I was like 10th on line. He did quick sketches for the first 2 people on line. I was pretty effin jealous!

Thanks for looking
Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #245
Spider-Fan

Default NYCC Commissions

Commissioned 3 sketch covers at the convention. Love all of them

Terry Dodson, Mike Perkins, and Mirka Andolfo

Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #246
jdandns

Lots of great new ink for the collection. A most productive weekend.
Congrats!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #247
rokstarr99

Love the Mirka..
Old 10-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #248
ghunt25

I concur on the Mirka!
ghunt25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #249
refuse24

Love the Harley’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
refuse24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #250
Spider-Fan

Default NYCC Booth Sketches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Lots of great new ink for the collection. A most productive weekend.
Congrats!
Oh man I'm just getting started

Normally I don't spend a ton of time at the DC and Marvel booths. Usually I just pay for all my signatures in Artist Alley - Just more convenient and easier to get CGC Witnessing down there. Plus we usually hit a decent number of panels. This year literally every panel I normally would go to was moved off site to a different location so I ended up passing on all of them but the Archer panel on Sunday afternoon. This freed up a lot of time to wait on lines on the floor which is how I got most of my books signed for free, and I was also able to get a lot of sketches at the booth for free. Pretty blown away by what some of these very talented artists were willing to do for free! Not to mention they banged them out in line 2-5 minutes.

Scott Hepburn, Michele Bandini, Humberto Ramos

Phillip Tan, John Timms, Emanuela Lupacchino

Tim Seeley, Mike Perkins, Alvaro Martinez

Nathan Stockman, Matteo Lolli

Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti

There are a couple more, but basically the exact same remark they did on my poster (my gf got the majority of the sigs/remarks while waiting with me).