Blowout Cards Forums
old school

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Mattsurewood
Member
 
Mattsurewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,284
Default Mike Trout '13 Heritage #430 Action Variation

Folks, I've been meaning to ask on this card, it has been skyrocketing this summer...I didn't think it was all that rare...it was going for $30-50, but in the past few months has been going anywhere from $180-260, most recent sale of $242...with one of these action cards per hobby box, I was just a little surprised. I pulled a couple back then and plan on keeping them, just wondering if there was something that made this that much more desirable, since I assume there are several hundred of these made.


The most recent sale:

SP Mike Trout Action Photo Variation 430 La Angels 2013 Topps Heritage | eBay
Mattsurewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
bedot
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,038
Default

I don't know. I've thought the same thing. I purchased 2 about a month ago but yeah they seem to pop up often and they continue to auction high. I think the nonnumbering has something to do with it.

It could be that it is simply a rarer early heritage card and a variation of a short print.
bedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
exitmusicblue
Member
 
exitmusicblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,553
Default

Thommy sent me the regular base version SP when I was a BO noob... reminds me I should be nice to his Dodgers players
__________________
Original Comic Art, Comics PC & Profile |
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=185730
http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1406
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/profile/29980-exitmusicblue/
exitmusicblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
davidk
Member
 
davidk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,614
Default

2013 heritage set has become very popular. Maybe the best looking heritage so far ever. People like to put together the set, and in the popular Action variation set (25 cards), Trout is the money card in that set. Harper too. You get Trout, everything else sort of falls together.

Just a very cool looking card too. I'm not sure how many printed, but even if there are 500 copies, I think the price should probably go up. I don't know how much more, but who knows.

I think once you stop seeing them, then it'll really go up.
__________________
T206 Hall of Fame Run: 26/80 Hindu Back Run: 35/198 ?
1953 & 54 Topps Raw Set:100% Complete - VG-EX
1986 Fleer Basketball PSA Set - 100% Complete Grade: PSA 8
davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
mikecamp99
Member
 
mikecamp99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,188
Default

Oh thanks OP for reminding me about selling this card a year ago for like $60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did pickup up the 2014 Action Variation for like $40 about a month or so ago and now that has doubled. I doubt the same thing happens with this card but I'm definitely planning on holding it.
__________________
INCOMING:
mikecamp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
bedot
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecamp99 View Post
Oh thanks OP for reminding me about selling this card a year ago for like $60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did pickup up the 2014 Action Variation for like $40 about a month or so ago and now that has doubled. I doubt the same thing happens with this card but I'm definitely planning on holding it.

And if you can find one centered decently you have a gem.
bedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
davidk
Member
 
davidk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,614
Default





If 2013 Action variation has like 500 copies and it's worth $200 ish, this 2013 gold card /5 has to be worth at least ten times that, no?

this one might be the best investment card i've ever got
__________________
T206 Hall of Fame Run: 26/80 Hindu Back Run: 35/198 ?
1953 & 54 Topps Raw Set:100% Complete - VG-EX
1986 Fleer Basketball PSA Set - 100% Complete Grade: PSA 8
davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
bedot
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk View Post




If 2013 Action variation has like 500 copies and it's worth $200 ish, this 2013 gold card /5 has to be worth at least ten times that, no?

this one might be the best investment card i've ever got
I don't know about that. I'm not saying no, or yes. I honestly don't know. Are his chrome heritage cards as popular with set collectors and is it as iconic?

I love heritage but I don't collect the chromes because to me chromes are reserved for bowman or topps.

I would sell for a good price in your eyes, and invest in a top shelf rookie or some of his more traditional heritage stuff.

The card is amazing though.
bedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
sjscout
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sj
Posts: 1,832
Default

The 1964 Giant boxtopper from this same year also sells very well.
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
davidk
Member
 
davidk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedot View Post
I don't know about that. I'm not saying no, or yes. I honestly don't know. Are his chrome heritage cards as popular with set collectors and is it as iconic?

I love heritage but I don't collect the chromes because to me chromes are reserved for bowman or topps.

I would sell for a good price in your eyes, and invest in a top shelf rookie or some of his more traditional heritage stuff.

The card is amazing though.
from what i've seen, all of his heritage stuff from every year has gone up (in some cases doubled) in prices. I'm not certain if it's the set collectors or it's the Trout collectors that are really doing the damage.

I've noticed people going for the rainbows and stuff.

It's to a point where, i can't even go near what they're asking for. Stanton 2013 color variation goes for like $30 and not necessarily sell quick. Trout color variation goes for like $130 in an auction. And they go quick when not in auction around that price.

anyway, trout stuff are just crazy
__________________
T206 Hall of Fame Run: 26/80 Hindu Back Run: 35/198 ?
1953 & 54 Topps Raw Set:100% Complete - VG-EX
1986 Fleer Basketball PSA Set - 100% Complete Grade: PSA 8
davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
chris_ac
Member
 
chris_ac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,641
Default

Makes me wonder if I should post mine with the Venezuelan back for some quick cash...
__________________
PC: Anze Kopitar & Karl-Anthony Towns
https://www.katcollector.com
chris_ac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
bedot
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ac View Post
Makes me wonder if I should post mine with the Venezuelan back for some quick cash...
If you do list that venezuelan back card, I can guarantee you'll have me as a bidder. I've been looking for that card for some time.
bedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
davidk
Member
 
davidk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ac View Post
Makes me wonder if I should post mine with the Venezuelan back for some quick cash...
i got that one last week. i would hold onto that if i were you
__________________
T206 Hall of Fame Run: 26/80 Hindu Back Run: 35/198 ?
1953 & 54 Topps Raw Set:100% Complete - VG-EX
1986 Fleer Basketball PSA Set - 100% Complete Grade: PSA 8
davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
HOFAutoRookies
Member
 
HOFAutoRookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Medina, MN
Posts: 3,713
Default

Bleh it's a chrome. It's a heritage set for a reason lol. Gotta admit, Nice looking card though.
HOFAutoRookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #15
chris_ac
Member
 
chris_ac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedot View Post
If you do list that venezuelan back card, I can guarantee you'll have me as a bidder. I've been looking for that card for some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk View Post
i got that one last week. i would hold onto that if i were you
Funny part about it's value increase is I believe I pulled mine from retail.
__________________
PC: Anze Kopitar & Karl-Anthony Towns
https://www.katcollector.com
chris_ac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #16
calculusdork
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18,155
Default

I picked up 4 base SPs off of Sportlots today. Did not realize these things have crept up to almost $35 each. Man I love that design.
__________________
==============================
~~ ALEX WOOD Collector ~~
~~ 3-Time GINTER CODE Winner ~~
==============================
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #17
Thommy
Member
 
Thommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitmusicblue View Post
Thommy sent me the regular base version SP when I was a BO noob... reminds me I should be nice to his Dodgers players
It's like a twenty dollar card now, not bad.


I don't mind, I like arguing .
__________________
Dee Gordon's the GOAT
Vin Scully is a poet
This is a Haiku
On groundsupport's 3 person Mount Rushmore
Thommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #18
bedot
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
I picked up 4 base SPs off of Sportlots today. Did not realize these things have crept up to almost $35 each. Man I love that design.
About a month and a half ago I bought two of the SPs from eBay as PSA 10s in the new holder for $50 each. Even in that time the purchase went from being a decent deal to now a very good deal.

2013 Heritage is just a great set.
bedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #19
calculusdork
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedot View Post
About a month and a half ago I bought two of the SPs from eBay as PSA 10s in the new holder for $50 each. Even in that time the purchase went from being a decent deal to now a very good deal.

2013 Heritage is just a great set.
Absolutely. I paid $83 shipped for 4 today ... I was really surprised they were still on Sportlots. They are probably all off-centered.
__________________
==============================
~~ ALEX WOOD Collector ~~
~~ 3-Time GINTER CODE Winner ~~
==============================
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #20
bedot
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Absolutely. I paid $83 shipped for 4 today ... I was really surprised they were still on Sportlots. They are probably all off-centered.
No pics for that lot? I'm not familiar with what Sportlots is. Regardless, I think you might be okay. That set isn't bad overall with centering. Now 2014 and 2015 are completely the opposite. It's like Topps wanted to really give a vintage feel on top of design with how the cards are cut. If you find one short print with good centering you have a real gem.
bedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #21
calculusdork
Member
 
calculusdork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedot View Post
No pics for that lot? I'm not familiar with what Sportlots is. Regardless, I think you might be okay. That set isn't bad overall with centering. Now 2014 and 2015 are completely the opposite. It's like Topps wanted to really give a vintage feel on top of design with how the cards are cut. If you find one short print with good centering you have a real gem.
Sportlots is mostly commons, useful for completing sets and what not. Occasionally you will find the hidden gem though.
__________________
==============================
~~ ALEX WOOD Collector ~~
~~ 3-Time GINTER CODE Winner ~~
==============================
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #22
Skipscards
Member
 
Skipscards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In Tribute To The Great Ryno
Posts: 18,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ac View Post
Makes me wonder if I should post mine with the Venezuelan back for some quick cash...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedot View Post
If you do list that venezuelan back card, I can guarantee you'll have me as a bidder. I've been looking for that card for some time.
I'd be in on that one too. But the one I really need is that dang 2013 Heritage Venezuelan Hosmer!!!!
__________________
Verizon sucks. Go Royals!! #RoyalsIn2015 <---It Happened!!

Sometimes it is astounding that we are able to persist in a world so full of morons.
Skipscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #23
ntgm37
Member
 
ntgm37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ac View Post
Makes me wonder if I should post mine with the Venezuelan back for some quick cash...
Do you have a scan of it?
__________________
Blowouts Resident Letter Carrier
---The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!-MGen. Frank E. Lowe, USA; Korea, 26 January 1952
Red Sox & 49ers
ntgm37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #24
gottagitdemjs
Member
 
gottagitdemjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,788
Default

I sold my 2013 version for over $200 a month ago. Heck, I sold a 2014 action variation on eBay for $115 a couple weeks ago. Topps is finally doing something right. Heritage and Archives non-numbered SP's are on fire. The action variations and throwback variations in Heritage are crazy. The Kris Bryant SP and no name on front variations in Archives go for crazy money as well.
__________________
Things I need to happen in order to die happy:
KU wins a NCAA Championship....CHECK
The Royals win a World Series.....CHECK
The Chiefs win a Super Bowl.......*sigh
gottagitdemjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #25
bedot
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs View Post
I sold my 2013 version for over $200 a month ago. Heck, I sold a 2014 action variation on eBay for $115 a couple weeks ago. Topps is finally doing something right. Heritage and Archives non-numbered SP's are on fire. The action variations and throwback variations in Heritage are crazy. The Kris Bryant SP and no name on front variations in Archives go for crazy money as well.
I just bought my 2014 action variation for $99 buy it now. I thought I overpaid some but maybe not.

Yes variations just seem like an upgraded parallel. I like collecting true different cards rather than just another card where the only thing that differs is the color. Alter the picture in some way and I'm hooked.
bedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.