Blowout Cards Forums
incentives bonus

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #1
leewei

Default Possible Scam.. Seek Advice

I recently sold 3 cases of National Treasures FOTL through ebay. First two transactions went smoothly with positive FB given. Just received a return request for the 3rd case. Buyer Comment provided:

"The case was advertised as Sealed . The seal on the bottom is broken and you can see the cut then taped over. I m not keeping this because it s not factory sealed."

So the way these cases were shipped by Panini, they added a second layer of packing tape with the "STOP If Seal is Broken Check Contents Before Accepting." Based on the buyer photo it looks like that seal was cut and a third layer applied.

Buyer is a relatively new ebay member (since AUG-17) with 50 or so positive FB. I see they have for sale multiple FOTL /13 RPAs (more than 3)... I accepted the return as at this point as I don't believe I can take any other actions until i have the contents back in my possession. I also purchased Fedex insurance for this specific shipment (less than auction price). I've never dealt with filing an insurance claim so anything else you guys can think of that I missed? Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
leewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
Archangel1775

You cant do anything except take the return and go from there. eBay will side with the buyer at this point, refund them their money and take away your final value fees on top of it. The hard part is proving this was sealed prior to shipping it out. Good luck and I hate to be in your shoes.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #3
JWBlue

Maybe the postal service put the tape on it after it opened.
JWBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:23 AM   #4
ucLAkers

Can’t really do anything until you get it back and see for yourself. But for sure get a video of you opening the return.

Also....eBay item# and buyer ID....dont be shy.
ucLAkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
leewei

Thanks for the responses all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBlue View Post
Maybe the postal service put the tape on it after it opened.
Nah, I shipped double boxed via Fedex. Photo was showing the actual inner case being tampered with.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
leewei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucLAkers View Post
Canít really do anything until you get it back and see for yourself. But for sure get a video of you opening the return.

Definitely not afraid to put this person on full blast. But will wait to receive the item back first and check the contents.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
leewei

Given the value of the contents and the sale price ($3K+), worst case scenario, would anyone advise in filing a police report? Again this would be new to me, just looking at all options at this point. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
bojesphob

If he's selling cards that could be from the case and the case was tampered with and contents are missing from the box, I wonder if you can do something with that so they would have to show where they got those cards. They're pretty rare, so he either had to buy them on eBay or take them out of your case (or from another case he opened, but he would have record of that too)

Packers Police Set Haves: 1984-1987, 1990-2018
Packers Police Set Needs: 1983, 1988, 1989
bojesphob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
hockeyguyrich

You can't prove what cards were in the boxes so I doubt police will do anything and since you put your own tape over it I think your screwed
hockeyguyrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucLAkers View Post
Can’t really do anything until you get it back and see for yourself. But for sure get a video of you opening the return.

Video will not prove anything either. Video is easy to manipulate.

Somoene mentioned Ebay will take your fees, if they open a claim and you willingly refund your fees are refunded automatically if they are not then you should call Ebay.

Insurance will be most likely be voided once the item is returned to you.

Last edited by shrevecity; 04-01-2018 at 09:40 AM.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
Lothar52

could he have opened cards from each case until he got a specific "case hit" then not opened the rest??? then put the unopened boxes after the 3 case hits back into 3rd case claiming it wasn't sealed? So he gets 3 case hits for the price of 2????
Lothar52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar52 View Post
could he have opened cards from each case until he got a specific "case hit" then not opened the rest??? then put the unopened boxes after the 3 case hits back into 3rd case claiming it wasn't sealed? So he gets 3 case hits for the price of 2????
Its possible, but again trying to actually prove that would be pretty much impossible.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
leewei

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguyrich View Post
You can't prove what cards were in the boxes so I doubt police will do anything and since you put your own tape over it I think your screwed
Thanks, I didn't put the tape on actually. But unfortunately do not have any photographic evidence of the "bottom" taping of the case.

My reason for filing a police report would to see if there's any history behind the buyer (or the address). Also if not, at least start a history to hopefully protect future sellers.

Also I contacted ebay, Apparently there's a "High ASP" department that deals with high value transactions (and related fraud). Unfortunately the CS said they're closed and will be open during regular business hours Mon-Fri. Wondering if they can provide any additional insights or options.

Appreciate everyone's feedback
Old 04-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
ND3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewei View Post
Given the value of the contents and the sale price ($3K+), worst case scenario, would anyone advise in filing a police report? Again this would be new to me, just looking at all options at this point. Thanks!
You can file a police report with your local department and they may on your behalf file with the local department of the buyer. Or you may have to do it yourself.

Most often the police are going to refer this as a civil matter to be worked out in the courts.

Possible leverage a message telling him you are going to seek legal action against the buyer to see if it will deter the return/case.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
shrevecity

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't put the tape on actually. But unfortunately do not have any photographic evidence of the "bottom" taping of the case.

My reason for filing a police report would to see if there's any history behind the buyer (or the address). Also if not, at least start a history to hopefully protect future sellers.

Also I contacted ebay, Apparently there's a "High ASP" department that deals with high value transactions (and related fraud). Unfortunately the CS said they're closed and will be open during regular business hours Mon-Fri. Wondering if they can provide any additional insights or options.

Appreciate everyone's feedback
LOL.. They will tell you anything to get you off the phone. I guarantee you could call them and they will tell you they will not force a refund then do just the opposite of what they tell you and there will be no record of your earlier call.. NEVER TRUST WHAT AN EBAY REP TELLS YOU UNLESS THEY DO IT WHILE YOU ARE ON THE PHONE.

Most police departments will say this is a civil matter. Since there is no way to prove anything beyond any doubt.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
JWBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar52 View Post
Bingo. I couldn't figure out what the scheme was.
JWBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #17
leewei

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBlue View Post
Bingo. I couldn't figure out what the scheme was.
Or I could be receiving back a box of bricks lol..
Old 04-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
Siberian13

Man that sucks. Hopefully it’s not tampered with and worst case you open it and hit a monster. Nothing you can really do though. Sounds like it’s pretty easy to scam on new boxes/cases by saying it was already opened or damaged once received. Ebay is scary sometimes with all the criminals in this supposed hobby.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #19
Siberian13

Quote:
Or I could be receiving back a box of bricks lol..
Can you have the package returned to your local post office and open it in front of them to be safe?
Old 04-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
Dbacksbaseball

Check the state laws on mail theft/fraud. 3k Is awfully close to felony level which will make the police interested. Search on the forum there was a Mike Trout Rookie auto that this happened with recently.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #21
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacksbaseball View Post
Check the state laws on mail theft/fraud. 3k Is awfully close to felony level which will make the police interested. Search on the forum there was a Mike Trout Rookie auto that this happened with recently.
The problem seems to be being able to prove it. Hope it works out for the OP
Old 04-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #22
leewei

Thanks everyone. Will definitely update the community as things happen Will get Fedex/Police involved as necessary.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #23
mhcook

Quote:
Definitely not afraid to put this person on full blast. But will wait to receive the item back first and check the contents.
I would put the username and real name out there, not to put him on blast, but to see if anyone has any knowledge. If he is scamming, he didn't bust his cherry on NT. Plus, there is some possibility he is doing nothing wrong and hopefully others will be know him and chime in that they are legit.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Archangel1775

I would fille a police report if the seal is broken and you know it wasn't sent like that. Additionally, I would have the police open the case and dust the boxes for fingerprints,seriously. That's a lot of money and pays rent twice over for 99 percent of us. Also mail fraud..... Internet faud....Go all out!
Old 04-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #25
3124508 on COMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel1775 View Post
I would fille a police report if the seal is broken and you know it wasn't sent like that. Additionally, I would have the police open the case and dust the boxes for fingerprints,seriously. That's a lot of money and pays rent twice over for 99 percent of us. Also mail fraud..... Internet faud....Go all out!
You watch too much CSI, my friend. If you get them to take a report you'll be lucky.
3124508 on COMC is online now   Reply With Quote