Blowout Cards Forums
incentives bonus

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #1
leewei
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 429
Default Possible Scam.. Seek Advice

I recently sold 3 cases of National Treasures FOTL through ebay. First two transactions went smoothly with positive FB given. Just received a return request for the 3rd case. Buyer Comment provided:

"The case was advertised as Sealed . The seal on the bottom is broken and you can see the cut then taped over. I m not keeping this because it s not factory sealed."

So the way these cases were shipped by Panini, they added a second layer of packing tape with the "STOP If Seal is Broken Check Contents Before Accepting." Based on the buyer photo it looks like that seal was cut and a third layer applied.

Buyer is a relatively new ebay member (since AUG-17) with 50 or so positive FB. I see they have for sale multiple FOTL /13 RPAs (more than 3)... I accepted the return as at this point as I don't believe I can take any other actions until i have the contents back in my possession. I also purchased Fedex insurance for this specific shipment (less than auction price). I've never dealt with filing an insurance claim so anything else you guys can think of that I missed? Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
leewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
Archangel1775
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cali baby!
Posts: 6,681
Default

You cant do anything except take the return and go from there. eBay will side with the buyer at this point, refund them their money and take away your final value fees on top of it. The hard part is proving this was sealed prior to shipping it out. Good luck and I hate to be in your shoes.
__________________
Blowout All Time Baseball Team 2015 Champion
Blowout All Time Basketball Team 2015 Champion
Archangel1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #3
JWBlue
Member
 
JWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 2,009
Default

Maybe the postal service put the tape on it after it opened.
JWBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:23 AM   #4
ucLAkers
Member
 
ucLAkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,146
Default

Can’t really do anything until you get it back and see for yourself. But for sure get a video of you opening the return.

Also....eBay item# and buyer ID....dont be shy.
ucLAkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
leewei
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 429
Default

Thanks for the responses all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBlue View Post
Maybe the postal service put the tape on it after it opened.
Nah, I shipped double boxed via Fedex. Photo was showing the actual inner case being tampered with.
leewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
leewei
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucLAkers View Post
Canít really do anything until you get it back and see for yourself. But for sure get a video of you opening the return.

Also....eBay item# and buyer ID....dont be shy.
Definitely not afraid to put this person on full blast. But will wait to receive the item back first and check the contents.
leewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
leewei
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 429
Default

Given the value of the contents and the sale price ($3K+), worst case scenario, would anyone advise in filing a police report? Again this would be new to me, just looking at all options at this point. Thanks!
leewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
bojesphob
Member
 
bojesphob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,862
Default

If he's selling cards that could be from the case and the case was tampered with and contents are missing from the box, I wonder if you can do something with that so they would have to show where they got those cards. They're pretty rare, so he either had to buy them on eBay or take them out of your case (or from another case he opened, but he would have record of that too)
__________________
2014 Prizm Packers: 386/408 - 94.61% (expt Rodgers autos)

Packers Police Set Haves: 1984-1987, 1990-2018
Packers Police Set Needs: 1983, 1988, 1989
bojesphob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
hockeyguyrich
Member
 
hockeyguyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Reading pa
Posts: 930
Default

You can't prove what cards were in the boxes so I doubt police will do anything and since you put your own tape over it I think your screwed
hockeyguyrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
shrevecity
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucLAkers View Post
Can’t really do anything until you get it back and see for yourself. But for sure get a video of you opening the return.

Also....eBay item# and buyer ID....dont be shy.
Video will not prove anything either. Video is easy to manipulate.

Somoene mentioned Ebay will take your fees, if they open a claim and you willingly refund your fees are refunded automatically if they are not then you should call Ebay.

Insurance will be most likely be voided once the item is returned to you.

Last edited by shrevecity; 04-01-2018 at 09:40 AM.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
Lothar52
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 277
Default

could he have opened cards from each case until he got a specific "case hit" then not opened the rest??? then put the unopened boxes after the 3 case hits back into 3rd case claiming it wasn't sealed? So he gets 3 case hits for the price of 2????
Lothar52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
shrevecity
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar52 View Post
could he have opened cards from each case until he got a specific "case hit" then not opened the rest??? then put the unopened boxes after the 3 case hits back into 3rd case claiming it wasn't sealed? So he gets 3 case hits for the price of 2????
Its possible, but again trying to actually prove that would be pretty much impossible.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
leewei
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguyrich View Post
You can't prove what cards were in the boxes so I doubt police will do anything and since you put your own tape over it I think your screwed
Thanks, I didn't put the tape on actually. But unfortunately do not have any photographic evidence of the "bottom" taping of the case.

My reason for filing a police report would to see if there's any history behind the buyer (or the address). Also if not, at least start a history to hopefully protect future sellers.

Also I contacted ebay, Apparently there's a "High ASP" department that deals with high value transactions (and related fraud). Unfortunately the CS said they're closed and will be open during regular business hours Mon-Fri. Wondering if they can provide any additional insights or options.

Appreciate everyone's feedback
leewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
ND3
Member
 
ND3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the Brazilian BBQ
Posts: 14,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewei View Post
Given the value of the contents and the sale price ($3K+), worst case scenario, would anyone advise in filing a police report? Again this would be new to me, just looking at all options at this point. Thanks!
You can file a police report with your local department and they may on your behalf file with the local department of the buyer. Or you may have to do it yourself.

Most often the police are going to refer this as a civil matter to be worked out in the courts.

Possible leverage a message telling him you are going to seek legal action against the buyer to see if it will deter the return/case.

Good luck!
__________________
Maybe if I stick your head through that window over there you'll get unconfused. Give me the feckkin money. -- Nicky Santoro
ND3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
shrevecity
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewei View Post
Thanks, I didn't put the tape on actually. But unfortunately do not have any photographic evidence of the "bottom" taping of the case.

My reason for filing a police report would to see if there's any history behind the buyer (or the address). Also if not, at least start a history to hopefully protect future sellers.

Also I contacted ebay, Apparently there's a "High ASP" department that deals with high value transactions (and related fraud). Unfortunately the CS said they're closed and will be open during regular business hours Mon-Fri. Wondering if they can provide any additional insights or options.

Appreciate everyone's feedback
LOL.. They will tell you anything to get you off the phone. I guarantee you could call them and they will tell you they will not force a refund then do just the opposite of what they tell you and there will be no record of your earlier call.. NEVER TRUST WHAT AN EBAY REP TELLS YOU UNLESS THEY DO IT WHILE YOU ARE ON THE PHONE.

Most police departments will say this is a civil matter. Since there is no way to prove anything beyond any doubt.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
JWBlue
Member
 
JWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 2,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar52 View Post
could he have opened cards from each case until he got a specific "case hit" then not opened the rest??? then put the unopened boxes after the 3 case hits back into 3rd case claiming it wasn't sealed? So he gets 3 case hits for the price of 2????
Bingo. I couldn't figure out what the scheme was.
JWBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #17
leewei
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBlue View Post
Bingo. I couldn't figure out what the scheme was.
Or I could be receiving back a box of bricks lol..
leewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 19,408
Default

Man that sucks. Hopefully it’s not tampered with and worst case you open it and hit a monster. Nothing you can really do though. Sounds like it’s pretty easy to scam on new boxes/cases by saying it was already opened or damaged once received. Ebay is scary sometimes with all the criminals in this supposed hobby.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #19
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 19,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewei View Post
Or I could be receiving back a box of bricks lol..
Can you have the package returned to your local post office and open it in front of them to be safe?
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
Dbacksbaseball
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,390
Default

Check the state laws on mail theft/fraud. 3k Is awfully close to felony level which will make the police interested. Search on the forum there was a Mike Trout Rookie auto that this happened with recently.
__________________
I'm Blowout's Adam Eaton Guy
Proud Owner of the Bowman and Topps Chrome Eaton Auto RC Rainbows
Dbacksbaseball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #21
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 19,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacksbaseball View Post
Check the state laws on mail theft/fraud. 3k Is awfully close to felony level which will make the police interested. Search on the forum there was a Mike Trout Rookie auto that this happened with recently.
The problem seems to be being able to prove it. Hope it works out for the OP
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #22
leewei
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 429
Default

Thanks everyone. Will definitely update the community as things happen Will get Fedex/Police involved as necessary.
leewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #23
mhcook
Member
 
mhcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewei View Post
Definitely not afraid to put this person on full blast. But will wait to receive the item back first and check the contents.
I would put the username and real name out there, not to put him on blast, but to see if anyone has any knowledge. If he is scamming, he didn't bust his cherry on NT. Plus, there is some possibility he is doing nothing wrong and hopefully others will be know him and chime in that they are legit.
__________________
Looking for all University of Memphis players in their college uniform especially DeAngelo Williams and Paxton Lynch.
Mark McGwire on card autos especially 2002 and 2003 and Toppsy Dynasty /10 from 2014 and 2015.
mhcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Archangel1775
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cali baby!
Posts: 6,681
Default

I would fille a police report if the seal is broken and you know it wasn't sent like that. Additionally, I would have the police open the case and dust the boxes for fingerprints,seriously. That's a lot of money and pays rent twice over for 99 percent of us. Also mail fraud..... Internet faud....Go all out!
__________________
Blowout All Time Baseball Team 2015 Champion
Blowout All Time Basketball Team 2015 Champion
Archangel1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #25
3124508 on COMC
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel1775 View Post
I would fille a police report if the seal is broken and you know it wasn't sent like that. Additionally, I would have the police open the case and dust the boxes for fingerprints,seriously. That's a lot of money and pays rent twice over for 99 percent of us. Also mail fraud..... Internet faud....Go all out!
You watch too much CSI, my friend. If you get them to take a report you'll be lucky.
3124508 on COMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.