Blowout Cards Forums
2017 Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GAMING

Notices

GAMING Post Your Gaming Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #26
longisland

I've found that Merfolk with the right cards is absolutely too fast for the rest of the set.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #27
swowannabe

Too fast + Jade Guardian = non-interactive "I just win" magic. A little silly...
Old 10-10-2017, 01:12 AM   #28
swowannabe

Did my first draft tonight. Drafted U/B Pirates. Had the 2UU Siren with Flash that taps down two creatures if you control another pirate. That one is a pretty good card. Also had the Fel Flagship (Pirates get +1/+0 and if the ship does damage to an opponent, they discard a card) and a Conqueror's Banner or whatever the artifact is that lets you give tribal +1/+1 and draw a card when you cast stuff. Arguel's Blood Fast was another card I had, which was OK if you're ahead. Fleet Swallower is just a hilarious card. Cast it twice and attacked, milled for 12 each time which is more than a fourth of their deck. They scooped after their next turn as a 6/6 that mills for half you deck rounded up is a pretty decent clock.

I also had 2x Contract Killing and 2x Walk the Plank. Plank is just awesome. Except against merfolk, of which I saw none.

Went 2-1, lost to Borosaurs who just had flying. I theoretically had answers to the flying but got mana flooded. As is Magic, unfortunately.

Prize packs had the blue flip card, Tiloni's Skinshifter (My 3rd one... passed one in the draft, because the card is awful and I wasn't anywhere near red), and a foil Bishop of Rebirth.

Someone opened a prize pack with an Admiral Beckett Brass and a foil Hostage Taker. Ah well!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #29
swowannabe

I had 5 Event Tickets sitting in my MTGO account so I bought 7 more to be able to enter a draft. Drafted B/W vampires. Definitely need payoff cards.

But it wouldn't have mattered, because my first opponent just had the most bull**** deck ever. The first guy literally had 7 removal spells in both games. 3x Lightning Strikes and 3x Firecannon Blasts and one Unfriendly Fire. 7. In both games.

The second match the dude had Carnage Tyrant. Which at least it is a single card that is absurdly broken. I'm cool with that.

I read on reddit someone snitching on several groups of college students on MTGO who had figured out a way to join the same draft late-late-late-late at night with pretty good consistency, and they used the extra land in the pack to collude and get the right cards to everyone so they would all have 8 ridiculously busted decks. Wouldn't be surprised if the first match was the lovechild of this type of collusion. 7! And I only saw about half of his deck so there were probably two more to compliment his derth of busted creatures.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'll take my crappy draft experience for $7 and be on my way, MTGO. Not only do I vastly prefer paper, but I really dislike the idea of playing people from other draft pods. Especially when the aforementioned shenanigans go on.

TL;DR - Gave MTGO another chance since I got the kids to bed early and people with either really good luck or collusion in their draft crushed my deck.

Last edited by swowannabe; 10-11-2017 at 12:18 AM.
swowannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #30
Pot Roast

People online draft horribly from what I've seen. But seven removal spells that's redic.

I drafted monday and went 1-2 But overall went .500 Had I won the dice roll I would be 2-1. I even almost won a mull to 5 with B/U Flying.

I think my deck was great but it had removal I never got to see and I had to mull a lot of the time because my lands were off.(Hand full of blue and only black lands) Getting Magic'd sucks.haha

At least I got my money back in rares! I'm going to try a lower curve deck I feel like this format is a lot like amonkhet in that games are usually decided on turn 5-6.
Shane Ray Prizm 1/1, Demaryius Thomas 2015 prizm /10
Pot Roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #31
swowannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot Roast View Post
People online draft horribly from what I've seen. But seven removal spells that's redic.

I drafted monday and went 1-2 But overall went .500 Had I won the dice roll I would be 2-1. I even almost won a mull to 5 with B/U Flying.

I think my deck was great but it had removal I never got to see and I had to mull a lot of the time because my lands were off.(Hand full of blue and only black lands) Getting Magic'd sucks.haha

At least I got my money back in rares! I'm going to try a lower curve deck I feel like this format is a lot like amonkhet in that games are usually decided on turn 5-6.
Yeah. I mean, if it were B/R and had 7 removal spells, that's believable, but 7 red removal spells? Was no one else red at the table? Unlikely. Anyways, I'm over it, much like the horrible beating in Fantasy Football I took this last week. I lost by 30 points to someone who played a quarterback on a Bye week. I also scored the 3rd highest points for the week to boot. This guy had the highest.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #32
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swowannabe View Post
Yeah. I mean, if it were B/R and had 7 removal spells, that's believable, but 7 red removal spells? Was no one else red at the table? Unlikely. Anyways, I'm over it, much like the horrible beating in Fantasy Football I took this last week. I lost by 30 points to someone who played a quarterback on a Bye week. I also scored the 3rd highest points for the week to boot. This guy had the highest.
Ouch, I would have to look at the packs but I agree very unlikely to see 7 removal spells in red go to one person.
Shane Ray Prizm 1/1, Demaryius Thomas 2015 prizm /10
Pot Roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #33
swowannabe

Ordered a bundle and a booster box for tomorrow with a buddy. We usually split a box and do a sealed event to determine first pick. Keep what you open snake draft the rest as opened packs. Works out pretty well. Last week we split a bundle and the packs from my planeswalker decks. As he said, "horrible choices were made" as I opened Vraska + foil Tiloni Skinshifter in one pack plus Vona in another. I ended up losing our sealed matches and got stuck with another skinshifter as my rare. That guy is so bad.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #34
swowannabe

So with the EOY Draft Promotion WotC is doing, I actually got my wife to agree to let me draft 6 times through the end of the year. The first was last night. I actually think my deck was fairly decent, a kind of B/U aggro pirates deck. Black was wide open and blue pirates was also wide open. I had at least 3 packs where I had to choose between a Pirate's Cutlass and a Vanquish the Weak.

I'll never know how good it could have been though as the first 4 games I just flooded out. 16 lands and I draw 9, 10, 10, and 11 in each of the subsequent games. It's hard to win with only 4 cards (which is all I had in the 11 land game). Just bad.