Blowout Cards Forums
retail mania

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
blowoutcards
Administrator

Default Panini America CEO Addresses Jersey-Card Labeling Errors in 2014 Flawless Football

Panini America CEO Addresses Jersey-Card Labeling Errors in 2014 Flawless Football
Nov 18th 2014, 19:44, by Tracy Hackler

Panini America CEO Mark Warsop on Tuesday addressed an error within 2014 Flawless Football that led to cards featuring pieces of event-worn jerseys being mistakenly labeled as “game-worn.” The error, an oversight that affected cards of Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Alshon Jeffery, was brought to Panini America’s attention on Monday.
The error only impacted the 168 patch cards (56 of each player) in the Patches (numbered to 25), Patches Ruby (numbered to 15), Patches Gold (numbered to 10), Patches Emerald (numbered to five) and Patches Platinum (numbered to one) inserts.

By comparison, all autographed versions of those three players’ cards include actual game-worn memorabilia.
“There is nothing we take more seriously here at Panini America than the ironclad authenticity of our products — and the memorabilia and autographs we use to make them,” said Panini America CEO Mark Warsop. “While this is a truly regrettable mistake, that’s all it is. There was no intent to deceive or to portray those pieces of memorabilia as anything other than what they are: Event-worn by those players.
“The error in this case occurred in the labeling of those cards, not in producing them. We pride ourselves in being true to our consumers and in standing by every product we make. We absolutely will do that in this regard.”
Collectors possessing any of the affected cards can exchange them for cards of equal or greater value by contacting the Panini America Customer Service Department via email at hobby411@paniniamerica.net.
On Tuesday morning, Panini America officials from all departments met to reevaluate processes and procedures and to identify measures that will prevent these types of mistakes from occurring in the future.
“We apologize to all of our collectors for this mistake — it hurts all of us — and we vow to do everything in our power to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” Warsop said.

UPDATE: Panini America Offers Additional Details on 2014 Flawless Football Memorabilia Cards
Nov 20th 2014, 22:49, by Tracy Hackler

As part of ongoing research into the processes and procedures that led to 168 cards (56 Patch cards each of Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Alshon Jeffery) in 2014 Flawless Football that were mistakenly labeled “game-worn” instead of “event-worn,” Panini America officials on Thursday discovered the existence of a limited number of additional cards also impacted.
The 37 additional cards — which incorporate event-worn material but are mistakenly labeled “game-worn” — affect cards of Andrew Luck, Calvin Johnson Jr., Cam Newton, Joe Flacco and Ryan Tannehill within the product’s Patches insert set.

Following is the breakdown of the affected cards:
  • Andrew Luck: Four total cards (three from the Patches Emerald parallel and one from the Patches Platinum parallel)
  • Calvin Johnson Jr.: 14 total cards (13 from the base Patches insert and one from the Patches Platinum parallel)
  • Cam Newton: 17 total cards (two from the base Patches insert, five from the Patches Emerald parallel and 10 from the Patches Gold parallel)
  • Joe Flacco: One card from the Patches Platinum parallel
  • Ryan Tannehill: One card from the Patches Gold parallel
The remaining print runs of those players’ Patches cards incorporate game-worn memorabilia.
Panini America officials also are currently investigating the existence of at least three cards (two Greats Emerald parallels of Terrell Davis and a Patches card of Tajh Boyd) that appear to include mismatched pieces of material. Panini America officials will continue to research the situation and will work directly with individual collectors holding those three cards — and any others that might surface — to rectify the situation.
Said the company in a prepared statement:
“We’ve spent most of this week thoroughly exploring and reassessing our processes and procedures, not just to identify what happened with this particular product, but also to strengthen every step in the product-development process to ensure that something like this doesn’t happen again. As part of that process, we uncovered additional cards that we’re impacted and we wanted to be proactive in bringing them to the attention of collectors.
“This week’s experiences, while not ideal, have only strengthened our focus, our desire and our commitment to doing things the right way every time; mistakes happen, they’re part of any human process. We are truly sorry about these mistakes; but we are grateful that our collectors were able to shed the light on this issue to allow us to look deeper into what went wrong in the process. Our intent is always to get it right and properly identify whether a patch is event-worn or game-worn. We evaluated the ‘event-worn’ vs. ‘game-worn’ strategy on a number of occasions — and while this process is much more detailed — and have determined that this was a better scenario than just identifying every patch as ‘player-worn.’ As always, we are committed to making this right for consumers.”
Collectors possessing any of the mislabeled 2014 Flawless Football cards mentioned above are encouraged to contact Panini America Customer Service via email at hobby411@paniniamerica.net. Panini America officials have thoroughly evaluated the situation to identify three possible solutions to address the issue with consumers holding these cards: Buying the impacted cards back from consumers, offering consumers a replacement of equal or greater value or, if possible, rebuilding the cards with game-worn memorabilia. Company officials also will pay to have impacted cards returned to Panini America via USPS or FedEx.

blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
56chev

Wow......................
ALWAYS looking for Broncos superfractors!
56chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
zonacats8

Sorry, but all I hear is.....

blah blah blah, we got caught, blah blah blah, damn we should have hidden it better, blah blah blah, we'll do better moving forward, blah blah blah, but not really because all we care about is making money, blah blah blah
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
byronscott4ever

Now how many people will keep these cards in hopes they gain value?
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
The Card Album

The Card Album is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
zonacats8

I would also LOVE to hear how they plan on replacing cards that sell for hundreds of dollars, seeing as how anytime someone has to replace a high end damaged hit or card that's never been made Panini likes to try and give them unopened junk instead (I see you 2013 Panini Black)
Old 11-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
zonacats8

We do we get the apology for the abortion of a system that the Rewards program is?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
benz35

Wowwww epic fail...they were saying its just labelling? Instead of game worn it should have been event worn???? For a product that prides itself with game.worn mem.
benz35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
kyle1707

wow!!!!!!

The power of blowout cards...

Nice job guys
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
LincecumPC

Their only regret in all of this is getting caught. I am a bit offended that they did not take a more proactive effort in announcing this. If they were so concerned about being honest to all the collectors out there, then they would have caught this way in advance, not after they were approached about it.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
nabzy28

Oh, man. Thanks for the epic joke I can add to my signature. - Dez Bryant.

“There is nothing we take more seriously here at Panini America than the ironclad authenticity of our products — and the memorabilia and autographs we use to make them,” said Panini America CEO Mark Warsop.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
Andrew Jones

The Kaep patch on the sell sheet says game-worn. Did they mistakenly label their sell sheet as well?

http://www.blowoutcards.net/images/s...flawlessFB.pdf
Old 11-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
Tvanho

"Event worn by those players" More lies.....Jeffereys has never worn a "4" at an event. Wilson has never worn anything other than a "3" at an event.

Whelp......at least that's something.....and probably what we were all expecting to be honest. I might have to jump in with all the "Don't Buy Patches" guys. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

That it took some guys on a forum to find this mistake.....and they never would have done a thing about it either. I wonder how many "mistakes" are floating around out there for different products.

I need a shower.
Tvanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
Prospect Rush
Banned

Yes, they think you are that stupid.
Prospect Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
piner

He said "ironclad". I chuckled.

So it was an accident huh. Most expensive product created and they intended for event worn patches?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
gonzagacubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvanho View Post
"Event worn by those players" More lies.....Jeffereys has never worn a "4" at an event. Wilson has never worn anything other than a "3" at an event.

Not entirely true. Alshon wore Walter Payton replicas for Topps at the photo shoot. Look at all of his topps event worn cards. All screen printed number and patches, lots of them containing the number 34 in some form or fashion.

Doesn't excuse it the least bit. Sorry to all of those who bought these cards and were deceived by Panini. Trash response from their CEO.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
BlueReloaded

So now that Panini has responded, is it false advertising or fraud?
BlueReloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
56chev

Where does this address the fact that they did not even use "authentic" jersey's?

Honest question (I'm not as knowledgeable as many of you) - do players wear Nike "Elite" jersey's at the premier(s)?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #19
BlueReloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56chev View Post
Where does this address the fact that they did not even use "authentic" jersey's?

Honest question (I'm not as knowledgeable as many of you) - do players wear Nike "Elite" jersey's at the premier(s)?
No they use retail jerseys.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #20
BlueReloaded

I left this comment on their blog. Hopefully I get a response:

Quote:
I thought Flawless was supposed to be Game Worn? Why are you using retail Limited jerseys in a $1,300 a box product?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #21
56chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueReloaded View Post
So now that Panini has responded, is it false advertising or fraud?
At first I thought of your reply as a bit dramatic, but is a simple "We're sorry" make up for a mistake of this magnitude?

I don't think it does...

As a buyer of a few Flawless Broncos, I'd be PI$$ed if I find out they are not "game worn".

Large companies like this don't usually just apologize for making such a large mistake...
Old 11-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #22
Tvanho

Quote:
I left this comment on their blog. Hopefully I get a response:
Itll be deleted before hitting the page during moderation like someone elses(your other one?) was.
Tvanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #23
56chev

Quote:
No they use retail jerseys.
How stupid is this? You know they do it to have extra profit at their bottom line...
Old 11-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #24
zonacats8

Can blowout stop posting this kind of stuff?

I'd really like to see BO force Panini to open their own account on here to post their product previews and announcements.

Force them to face the hobby as a whole and answer questions/concerns outside of their own website where they monitor the crap out of it to make sure there aren't any comments other than the obligatory "OMG I love this product, it's TOO freaking coolz dawg"
Old 11-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #25
BlueReloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56chev View Post
At first I thought of your reply as a bit dramatic, but is a simple "We're sorry" make up for a mistake of this magnitude?

I don't think it does...

As a buyer of a few Flawless Broncos, I'd be PI$$ed if I find out they are not "game worn".

Large companies like this don't usually just apologize for making such a large mistake...
How many months did they write blog after blog regarding their game used jerseys? Even their sales sheet says they should be game worn...