Blowout Cards Forums
2017 black Friday wave 9

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #126
lambeauleap87

Ohio State has, obviously, not played anyone yet, but they've looked a lot better than expected so far. Gonzaga will be a test to see if they actually have any merit.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #127
CC_123

Purdue just lost today against an average Tennessee team. Tennessee played physical with Haas and Harms and gained the big advantage on the block due to it. Haas and Harms are both still soft as pillows as I said they would be before the season. They look "tough" against 6'7" competition but once someone plays physical with them and has a little size to them paired with quickness, they are exposed. Both Haas and Haarms are extremely slow on both sides. Also, Haas STILL brings the ball down to his waist on the offensive side. He should never be dropping the ball low like that, especially when teams collapse down low on them like Tennessee did today.

Tennessee out rebounded Purdue 51-40, including 20-9 offensive rebounds. Remember when Haarms was declared a "better" rebounder than Swanigan? What a joke that was. Haas and Haarms haven't had a single game this season with double digit rebounds which shows how soft they are on the boards (they combined for 7 rebounds today). You should never be out rebounded with two 7'2" players down low and you should never have a team rack up 20 offensive rebounds on you. That's pathetic effort for Purdue in my opinion.

Also, Purdue was outscored on the block today as well and Tennessee was continuously having their post players take it right at Haas and Haarms with success. Purdue, who I think is a solid team, should never be losing to an average team like Tennessee. It just shows how soft Purdue truly is, especially down low, when a team plays physical basketball with them.

All in all, entertaining game.
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #128
bmc398

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC_123 View Post
Purdue just lost today against an average Tennessee team. Tennessee played physical with Haas and Harms and gained the big advantage on the block due to it. Haas and Harms are both still soft as pillows as I said they would be before the season. They look "tough" against 6'7" competition but once someone plays physical with them and has a little size to them paired with quickness, they are exposed. Both Haas and Haarms are extremely slow on both sides. Also, Haas STILL brings the ball down to his waist on the offensive side. He should never be dropping the ball low like that, especially when teams collapse down low on them like Tennessee did today.

Tennessee out rebounded Purdue 51-40, including 20-9 offensive rebounds. Remember when Haarms was declared a "better" rebounder than Swanigan? What a joke that was. Haas and Haarms haven't had a single game this season with double digit rebounds which shows how soft they are on the boards (they combined for 7 rebounds today). You should never be out rebounded with two 7'2" players down low and you should never have a team rack up 20 offensive rebounds on you. That's pathetic effort for Purdue in my opinion.

Also, Purdue was outscored on the block today as well and Tennessee was continuously having their post players take it right at Haas and Haarms with success. Purdue, who I think are a solid team, should never be losing to an average team like Tennessee. It just shows how soft Purdue truly is, especially down low, when a team plays physical basketball with them.

All in all, entertaining game.
Very poorly officiated game. If you call blatant holding, shoving, etc. physicality....then sure.

WE were outscored on the block because of their O rebounds....with our big guys being held.

Credit to Tenneesee...they came in with a game plan and got away with it.

I wouldn't call anything Haas did today soft. He didnt finish a lot of times with multiple UT guys on him and lots of no calls. Mathias had 2 monster layups in OT while basically getting slapped in the head each time with no call on either. Tough to win when the zebras swallow their whistle. Oh well, on to the next one.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #129
CC_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
Very poorly officiated game. If you call blatant holding, shoving, etc. physicality....then sure.

WE were outscored on the block because of their O rebounds....with our big guys being held.

Credit to Tenneesee...they came in with a game plan and got away with it.

I wouldn't call anything Haas did today soft. He didnt finish a lot of times with multiple UT guys on him and lots of no calls. Mathias had 2 monster layups in OT while basically getting slapped in the head each time with no call on either. Tough to win when the zebras swallow their whistle. Oh well, on to the next one.
Always an excuse for a loss. "It was the officials", "they were holding", "they were shoving". I watched the entire game and have zero bias in the conversation. How can you blame the officials when you were the beneficiary of 23 foul calls? You shot 13 more free throws than Tennessee. Don't blame the officiating just because Purdue's big are soft (when they get a combined 7 boards and score 6 combined points from the field, they are soft).

There were plenty of fouls that could've been called on Haas, Haarms, and V. Edwards on the block that weren't, so don't try to act like you guys got shafted by the officials. You guys received more foul calls and free throws than Tennessee did.

Also, on one of those "monster" layups, the Tennessee guard was fouled by Carson Edwards on a reach in and nothing was called. It was both ways, not just one. If that makes you feel better about losing to an average team, go ahead and blame the officials. I watched the entire game and the officials had plenty of no-calls on both sides of the ball meaning that it equaled out in the end.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #130
bmc398

Quote:
Always an excuse for a loss. "It was the officials", "they were holding". I watched the entire game. How can you blame the officials when you were the beneficiary of 23 foul calls? You shot 13 more free throws than Tennessee. Don't blame the officiating just because Purdue's big are soft (when they get a combined 7 boards and score 6 combined points from the field, they are soft).

There were plenty of fouls that could've been called on Haas and Haarms on the block that weren't, so don't try to act like you guys got shafted by the officials. You guys received more foul calls and free throws than Tennessee did.

Also, on one of those "monster" layups, the Tennessee guard was fouled by Carson Edwards on a reach in and nothing was called. It was both ways, not just one. If that makes you feel better about losing to an average team, go ahead and blame the officials. I watched the entire game and the officials had plenty of no-calls on both sides of the ball meaning that it equaled out in the end.
There's a difference between physical basketball and what was played today. Just because there is a foul discrepancy doesn't mean we weren't fouled or that every one was called.

They gave UT a lot of leeway and we lost.

I like how you annoint teams average...or good...and that's the final word. They are 3 games into the season and haven't lost yet...you really don't know how good or bad they are. But I remember, Harvard is a juggernaut.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #131
CC_123

Quote:
There's a difference between physical basketball and what was played today. Just because there is a foul discrepancy doesn't mean we weren't fouled or that every one was called.

They gave UT a lot of leeway and we lost.

I like how you annoint teams average...or good...and that's the final word. They are 3 games into the season and haven't lost yet...you really don't know how good or bad they are. But I remember, Harvard is a juggernaut.
Tennessee was picked to finish 2nd to last in the SEC. They were garbage last season (16-16 last year). At this point in the season, that's what you have to base it off. Your "powerhouse Boilermakers that are the best Big Ten team in the conference" just lost to an average Tennessee team. Get over it. They were more physical than Purdue, they bullied those "tough" bigs on both sides of the ball, and they came away with the W.

Also, don't act like Tennesee is the only team that got away with some calls because Purdue also did, especially Haas and Haarms on the block. If I really cared enough to prove you wrong, I have the game recorded and could go back, watch the film, and count how many fouls each team got away with and then see what you have to say.

Take the loss like a man, admit that you weren't the better team and lost to an average UT team, and get over it.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #132
bmc398

Quote:
Tennessee was picked to finish 2nd to last in the SEC. They were garbage last season (16-16 last year). At this point in the season, that's what you have to base it off. Your "powerhouse Boilermakers that are the best Big Ten team in the conference" just lost to an average Tennessee team. Get over it. They were more physical than Purdue, they bullied those "tough" bigs on both sides of the ball, and they came away with the W.

Also, don't act like Tennesee is the only team that got away with some calls because Purdue also did, especially Haas and Haarms on the block. If I really cared enough to prove you wrong, I have the game recorded and could go back, watch the film, and count how many fouls each team got away with and then see what you have to say.

Take the loss like a man, admit that you weren't the better team and lost to an average UT team, and get over it.
Dude, your hard on and obsession with Purdue is epic.

Our guards played poorly today, not the inside players. Its that simple. A lack of recognition there tells me all I need to know about your basketball acumen.

Good luck this year. I won't be back on here all the times Minnesota loses.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #133
nickha2

Wisconsin off to the worst start since 2001-02. This could be a long year for me haha.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #134
CC_123

Quote:
Dude, your hard on and obsession with Purdue is epic.

Our guards played poorly today, not the inside players. Its that simple. A lack of recognition there tells me all I need to know about your basketball acumen.

Good luck this year. I won't be back on here all the times Minnesota loses.
You won't be back on here when Minnesota loses because I don't brag them up to be this powerhouse that they aren't. I am realistic with my expectations of the Gophers. I expect a 22+ win season again and a tournament berth. That's it. You sit and brag Purdue up to be the best team in the country and to be the top of the Big Ten EVERY SEASON. That's why nobody takes anything you say serious. You're such a homer that people don't even care to hear your bias opinions.

And aside from Vince Edwards your big men are terrible. You got out rebounded by 11 total and out rebounded 20-9 on the offensive boards. How is that not on the bigs? Like I said, Haas and Haarms combined for 6 points from the field and a whopping 7 boards. Those 7'2" big men are better rebounders than Swanigan though Your guard play struggled at times (mostly defensively), but they are also the only reason Purdue stayed in the game. To blame the loss on them shows how closely you paid attention during the game.

Thank the lord WKU didn't beat Villanova so we all don't have to listen to you blame the refs again after another loss. Luckily you shouldn't lose to a WKU team that has 8 players on it. And luckily for us we won't have to listen to your excuses about how the loss isn't Purdue's fault, its the refs and that your bigs played "good", when they clearly didn't.

Last edited by CC_123; 11-22-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #135
CC_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickha2 View Post
Wisconsin off to the worst start since 2001-02. This could be a long year for me haha.
The thing is, Wisconsin isn't really that far off, they just can't close a game and rely on Happ too much. They lost to three straight ranked opponents, two of which they very well could've won (They held the lead against both Baylor and UCLA for a nice period of time).
Old Yesterday, 02:52 AM   #136
briancecilrn

I didn't see the Purdue vs Tennessee game but I see that Haas and Haarms combined for 15 pts and 7 rbs, pretty weak for guys that big, I mean my God 7'-2" 291 lbs and 7'-3" 249 lbs.

Here are the heights listed for every Tennessee player that played over 10 minutes, 6'-11", 6'-7", 6'-5", 6'-5". 6'-3", 6'-1", 6'-1", 6'-0", just seems crazy two guys 7'-2" and 7'-3" couldn't get more than 3 and 4 rebounds against such a small team.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM   #137
bmc398

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancecilrn View Post
I didn't see the Purdue vs Tennessee game but I see that Haas and Haarms combined for 15 pts and 7 rbs, pretty weak for guys that big, I mean my God 7'-2" 291 lbs and 7'-3" 249 lbs.

Here are the heights listed for every Tennessee player that played over 10 minutes, 6'-11", 6'-7", 6'-5", 6'-5". 6'-3", 6'-1", 6'-1", 6'-0", just seems crazy two guys 7'-2" and 7'-3" couldn't get more than 3 and 4 rebounds against such a small team.
To address this...

I never said that haas is an elite rebounder. He’s not. He has poor coordination...as do most 7’2” people in the world. I do think Haarms is a good rebounder but it’s hard to rebound being shoved and having guys hanging on you. That’s all. You can disagree with my assessment and that’s fine. We were even in the D side but on their end they would generally have 2 guys do whatever it took to box out our big...pulling, grabbing, over the back. They knew it was their only shot to win and combined with some poor shot selection in the second half, they beat us in OT. Congrats to them.

Honestly, most of their rebounds were weak side and our 4s responsibility. Vince Edwards played like crap and didn’t go to the glass when they were doubling our bigs on boxouts so it was generally our big and a Guard vs. at least 3 of their guys. Adjustments needed to be made and weren’t. Vince was having a terrible game on offense. If Taylor was healthy he should have been getting minutes at the 4.

I do think Jacquil Taylor is an elite rebounder but I have absolutely no clue why Painter didn’t play him yesterday. He has been battling a foot issue for 4 years now and he could be unable to play. If healthy tho, no excuse why he didn’t. He can shoot just as well as Haarms.

I didn’t think tebounding would be an issue for us because I thought Taylor would be our primary backup at the 5. Vince Edwards has to be a factor on the glass for this team and he was downright awful too yesterday in pretty much every facet. That hurt us a lot too.

All in all...it’s a loss. Just 1. NC State beat Arizona and WKU hung with Nova. Clearly nothing is a given in these holiday games.

I love how everybody loves to lump on. Tennessee also has a Sagarinnrating if a bubble NCAA TEAM. I wonder if Harvard does?

Last edited by bmc398; Yesterday at 07:57 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM   #138
JCC6603

I'm a Tennessee fan, Purdue will be fine. Tennessee has been grossly underrated. Had basically everyone back from a team that was close to beating a lot of good teams but couldn't get over the hump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JCC6603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #139
Kelper7

This thread never disappoints.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #140
CC_123

Quote:
To address this...

I never said that haas is an elite rebounder. He’s not. He has poor coordination...as do most 7’2” people in the world. I do think Haarms is a good rebounder but it’s hard to rebound being shoved and having guys hanging on you. That’s all. You can disagree with my assessment and that’s fine. We were even in the D side but on their end they would generally have 2 guys do whatever it took to box out our big...pulling, grabbing, over the back. They knew it was their only shot to win and combined with some poor shot selection in the second half, they beat us in OT. Congrats to them.

Honestly, most of their rebounds were weak side and our 4s responsibility. Vince Edwards played like crap and didn’t go to the glass when they were doubling our bigs on boxouts so it was generally our big and a Guard vs. at least 3 of their guys. Adjustments needed to be made and weren’t. Vince was having a terrible game on offense. If Taylor was healthy he should have been getting minutes at the 4.

I do think Jacquil Taylor is an elite rebounder but I have absolutely no clue why Painter didn’t play him yesterday. He has been battling a foot issue for 4 years now and he could be unable to play. If healthy tho, no excuse why he didn’t. He can shoot just as well as Haarms.

I didn’t think tebounding would be an issue for us because I thought Taylor would be our primary backup at the 5. Vince Edwards has to be a factor on the glass for this team and he was downright awful too yesterday in pretty much every facet. That hurt us a lot too.

All in all...it’s a loss. Just 1. NC State beat Arizona and WKU hung with Nova. Clearly nothing is a given in these holiday games.

I love how everybody loves to lump on. Tennessee also has a Sagarinnrating if a bubble NCAA TEAM. I wonder if Harvard does?
Excuses again. Have Haas and Haarms been "pushed, shoved, and grabbed" every game this season then? No double digit rebound games all season, all games against very under sized opponents too (aside from Marquette who were even softer 7 footers which is hard to do compared to Haas and Haarms). And you rag on the only decent rebounder on the team in Vince Edwards who had 13 yesterday. It's just laughable how you try and defend the two soft 7 footers because you can't admit that you bragged them both up to be something they aren't. Also, a "bubble" NCAA team is an AVERAGE team. Good teams don't sit on the bubble. I never said Harvard was a world beater either, don't know why you keep holding onto that. I said they are a solid team that was receiving top 25 votes. That's it. But you can keep clinging to your weak comments (they are just as weak as the two 7 footers on your roster, actually) and keep making excuses for why you lost. "Grabbed, shoved, and pushed". What a joke. It's a physical sport, it happens in every game and it happened on BOTH sides yesterday, not just one.

Last edited by CC_123; Yesterday at 09:42 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #141
JustinVerlander07

"OUR SIZE!!!!"

-bmc, forever

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM   #142
bmc398

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
"OUR SIZE!!!!"

-bmc, forever
Our top 5 ranking!!!

-every MSU fan before the season starts, every year
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #143
bmc398

Purdue sucks. After tonight it’s clear I care more than the players.

Let the crap talk commence. We deserve it after this one.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #144
Kelper7

Quote:
Purdue sucks. After tonight itís clear I care more than the players.

Meh. Holiday tournaments are often a crapshoot. Power 5 teams always seem to struggle. Its November. Come February I would imagine it will be a much different story.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #145
bmc398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelper7 View Post
Meh. Holiday tournaments are often a crapshoot. Power 5 teams always seem to struggle. Its November. Come February I would imagine it will be a much different story.

Effort, man. No excuses. Effort was fine yesterday and we didnít play that poorly IMO. Today was a different story all together. Mathias hasnít played that bad since a Freshman. Carsen Edwards was an 8 point swing the other way in crunch time just playing boneheaded.

The Tennessee loss wasnít concearning at all to me. This one is.

I agree these tournaments can be a crapshoot. Iíve been to Atlantis and holy cow is that place fun. Can be a hell of a distraction.

Didnít help that Painter got tight with the lineup and kept playing Mathias and Edwards (both) even though they were struggling mightily. Not only on offense but in D. Dakota mustíve drank the entire resort last night. Only explanation.
Old Today, 12:50 AM   #146
CC_123

Quote:
Purdue sucks. After tonight itís clear I care more than the players.

This is the first time I've seen you actually say something realistic about the "mighty" Boilermakers. Two awful losses back to back and to undersized competition at that. Didn't get to watch the game today due to Thanksgiving festivities so I can't comment on much more than what I see in the box score. Like I've said previously, Purdue is a solid team and will make the tournament, but being realistic with expectations is the best way to go. The Boilermakers aren't as good as last season IMO and the loss of Swanigan is larger than you thought it'd be. Still early in the season but having two losses like this definitely doesn't help things.
Old Today, 01:02 AM   #147
seabass97166

I watched Purdue vs Tenn....that guy Haarms was a complete stiff...
seabass97166 is offline   Reply With Quote