Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
McMBAMM

Default Almost all of my collection was stolen. I think I'm done

Guys & Gals,

I'm so sick, I think I'm done! someone broke into my house tonight & stole a large vault box with what amounts to about $10,000 bv of my PC along with my daughters TV, my laptop & some jewlery of my wifes. My question is, has anyone ealse ever had anything like this happen? I don't know if I can stomach trying to recollect what I had ammassedover the past 10 years. Whats most upsetting is the factmy father who passed away in January had a sizeable vintage collection (aprox 60 1952 Topps cards, 8 vintage Mantles, and a ton of other vintage stars like Mays, Aaron,Clemente, Williams, Berra & etc). If anyone has had something like this happen, is it just the initial shock & the fact Ihave virtualy nothing left that makesme want to give up the hobby? Is it something that will pass? I LOVE trading, but the thought of starting from scratch just kinda makes feel a bit nausous. BTW, I plan on posting some pics of some of the more identifiable cards in hopes that if you see them pop up on Ebay, you can give me a shout.
Thanks for listening guys, I just needed to rant a little.
McMBAMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
Zerokruel

That just makes me sick thinking about it. I really can't give you an advice on how to deal with this man, just be thankful that you and your family it okay.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
McMBAMM

Yep, Fam is all ok. Probably some punk A$$ kids.
BTW, I have a couple pending deals here. By the grace of God, they didnt touch that stuff because I already had them packaged up & with the outgoing mail.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
LincecumPC

really sorry to hear that. someone actually broke into my home many years back but they seemed more intent on trashing my parent's room and finding more valuable stuff. luckily they didn't go for my cards but it wouldn't have come close to what you had. really sorry man...
Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
McMBAMM

I think the part that realy wants me to say F it is my dads portion. I can replace the autos if I wanted to & newer stuff, but I cant replace the vintage stuff my dad pulled himself & cherrished. There was a story behind a lot ofthem that I remember well. My pops was ahead of the game inmany ways.He had no problems trading a 59 Topps Dodgers team set (the year they won it all) for 2 Mantles & a Mays. He found a core group of about 10 guys & traded whatever he had that wasnt those guys for "His" guys. Other than the 52 Topps. Those where the 1st cards he had, so thise didnt get moved.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
ilovethelakings
I make a lot of posts!

Maybe you should check out the local pawn shops or card shops. Perhaps some of those cards will turn up at one of those types of places.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
McMBAMM

I will be checking there tomorrow. I'm hoping I can get the word out sothe owners\managers can keep an eye out.
In the mean time, I posted a couple things on ebay to try to replacemy daughters TV. If this is considered spamming,plmk & I'll remove it. My daughter is at a summer camp for the next 2 weeks & has no idea her tv is gone. I'm gonna try to raise $350 to replace it. She earned the cash herself to buy herself a new flat screen & I can't stand the thought of telling her it was stolen.
Here are the auctions I've posted so far. Hopefuly I can come up with a few more things to post

haileymonkey10 items - Get great deals on Sports Mem, Cards Fan Shop, Cell Phones PDAs items on eBay.com!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
chipmaster

I had a burglary also about 10 years ago. I had a $4k Stereo system and about 150 CD's stoeln out of my truck by the company that towed it. I pretty much gave up on Car Audio Systems and buying CD's after that. It really sucks to have to start all over again, and i never did.

Sorry to hear about your loss
chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
mnvikingstwins

Sorry to hear about that, but I'm sure the people on here will be good at tracking the cards down if they show up on ebay
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
MasterPattie

I am really sorry to read this. I hope somehow that the person(s) who broke into your home and stole your property are caught. I assume you have insurance so at least, although some of the stuff (like the vintage cards) cannot be replaced, you will get some money back.

The biggest concern I would have is the laptop being stolen. That is one of the major ways identity theft happens. Thiefs steal laptops and if there is sensitive personal information (i.e. SS #'s, bank account #'s, Credit card #'s, etc) the thiefs will now have access to it.

I wish you the best. Keep us posted on what happens...
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
mnvikingstwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPattie View Post
I am really sorry to read this. I hope somehow that the person(s) who broke into your home and stole your property are caught. I assume you have insurance so at least, although some of the stuff (like the vintage cards) cannot be replaced, you will get some money back.

The biggest concern I would have is the laptop being stolen. That is one of the major ways identity theft happens. Thiefs steal laptops and if there is sensitive personal information (i.e. SS #'s, bank account #'s, Credit card #'s, etc) the thiefs will now have access to it.

I wish you the best. Keep us posted on what happens...
The banks do allow you to come and shut down your credit cards for a week or so don't they get used if they are stolen if you have proof they are yours like a driver's license, don't they?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
mwheeler27

I'm sorry to hear about this as well.

Have you filed a police report yet?
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
MikeB

Lets get some photos up with the stolen cards, guys on here are always looking to help forum members. Or at least a list of the cards with good descriptions if photos aren't available.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
Kent Clements

Sorry to hear about your break-in !! I know it seems bad now but don't give up on collecting !! And get pictures out soon so we can watch out for you on Ebay.

Kent
Kent Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

fool me once.. shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
newengland4me

Did you file a Police report ?? Did you ask around the neighborhood about activity around your house ??
Hope you had insurance and photos of the cards.
Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
FriSC0NiN3rS

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.. I never had anyone break into my house (but they came close, I knew them bastards who tried and called the cops).. I have had 3 cars of mine stolen back when I was in Cali.. They stole everything from my engine, car stereo system, tape decks, cd players cd's and even the hub cabs off my car.. Insurance covered it all, but still a pain in the ass cause they wanted the receipts of everything I purchased and I happen to have them... I will help you keep an eye out on ebay for any items you describe and this burglary that happen to you (It might be someone who knows you. knew where you had your stuff, and possibly knew when you weren't gonna be home, so look into that)..

Take care and glad your family is safe...

Last edited by FriSC0NiN3rS; 06-14-2010 at 11:59 AM.
FriSC0NiN3rS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
McMBAMM

Hey Guys,
Police report was filed last night, The insurance we have is something my wife set up & is a freaking JOKE! I went to the two closest card shops & a few pawn shops in the area & gave them descriptions. My next step will be posting some pics here of the missing stuff that may be detectable. There was a lot of stuff I never scanned because it was PC & didnt expect to have a reason to scan it.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
mnvikingstwins

If the people are smart, they would sell locally and wait for it to go on ebay for a while, but reporting to the LCSs was definitely a good idea
Old 06-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #20
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
fool me once.. shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me.

Captain, I know where you are coming from, just waiting for it to get started. Waiting on a list and descriptions of the stolen cards.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #21
McMBAMM

Last edited by McMBAMM; 07-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #22
Footsteps

McBamm - First, I am very sorry to hear about the losses, but I'm glad you and your family are okay.

As for the cards, I will be sure to keep an eye out on eBay too once you describe them or post pics.
Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #23
saintsfan67
Banned

The sad thing is they stole the vault box probally thinking cash, jewels,etc... when opened and a bunch of cards in they chunked it. Hope you were covered and if the cards were in a photo bucket you should recover most of your losses. Sorry about your misfortune.
saintsfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #24
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Keep in mind without a special insurance policy you'll pretty much be limited to $1000. I think max I could get on mine without a special rider was 3K and from there it gets into very special policies and yearly value estimates/appraisals. I do agree that its a really nice thing to have in your photo bucket (then again scans arent always the best so using the comment area helps).

We just had a vandelism here at work as well. Someone broke into one of our gages. I'll be down tomorrow to repair everything, but right now I'd say we're out about 10K. Being its the federal government, I'd like to thank you all for your contributions to Detroit
Old 06-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #25
Redbirdgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2
Keep in mind without a special insurance policy you'll pretty much be limited to $1000. I think max I could get on mine without a special rider was 3K and from there it gets into very special policies and yearly value estimates/appraisals. I do agree that its a really nice thing to have in your photo bucket (then again scans arent always the best so using the comment area helps).
All depends on the policy. The one he has sounds like junk to be honest, which is unfortunate.

If anyone has collectibles like this, I advise "scheduling" them on your policy. Basically you appraise your collection annually (or as often as you would like) and have that list on your homeowners policy. The best part about that is you have a $0 deductible (depending on the company/policy) should something happen, and the coverage is any peril.

Talk to your local agent.
Redbirdgrad is offline   Reply With Quote