AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

Notices

COINS & CURRENCY Post your Coins, Currency, & Precious Metals Hobby Talk

Old 09-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
jake9494

Default Newb

Hello all,

I have been buying/selling sports cards for most of my life but have recently discovered an interest in coins. My intentions for this post is to get a better idea of what I should be buying over the next year or so (with long term investment intentions) while I continue to acquire more knowledge about the industry. I have roughly 40 silver quarters that have been passed down to me and I am quite interested in silver as a commodity.

Should I continue to pickup a few silver quarters when I can or is there something else you industry veterans would suggest?

Thank you for your time,
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jake9494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
Braves_Fan

If you just want silver and don't care about the numismatics part of it I would just continue to buy 90 percent silver focus on quarters, and halves close to spot/melt value as possible. Check out Coinflation or Kitco.com to start.

JM Bullion usually has a deal where you can get one 10 Oz for spot.

If you decide you want something nicer the 1986-current 1 OZ .999 silver Eagle with the Walking Liberty design on front is made by the U.S. Government $1 coin is legal tender and probably the most collected coin there is. Try to get the coins for $2-3 dollars over spot/ melt value if you can. I usually just tell people buy what you like and buy stuff that is easy to resell when you get out of it.
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
jake9494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves_Fan View Post
If you just want silver and don't care about the numismatics part of it I would just continue to buy 90 percent silver focus on quarters, and halves close to spot/melt value as possible. Check out Coinflation or Kitco.com to start.

JM Bullion usually has a deal where you can get one 10 Oz for spot.

If you decide you want something nicer the 1986-current 1 OZ .999 silver Eagle with the Walking Liberty design on front is made by the U.S. Government $1 coin is legal tender and probably the most collected coin there is. Try to get the coins for $2-3 dollars over spot/ melt value if you can. I usually just tell people buy what you like and buy stuff that is easy to resell when you get out of it.

Awesome advice. I saw that JM Bullion 10oz coins were suggested in a previous thread so I may go over there and pick up a couple.

Thanks again for the tips.

Jake

Old 09-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
sigmachi

Hey Jake, I too have taken a keen interest in coins since I inherited a collection from my dad and grandpa. I have bought a bunch in the past few weeks. My favorites are the Morgan Silver Dollars and the Silver Eagles. The Eagles appear to be the most liquid coin so it will be the easiest to sell if the market moves a lot one way or the other. I have convinced my wife that the silver market is going up so we have been buying Eagles and silver mining stocks! Best of luck whatever you decide but remember that when the time comes to sell those generic rounds might be harder to get rid of than a silver eagle so even though you might pay a couple dollars more now, in the long run it might be worth it
Old 09-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
jake9494

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmachi View Post
Hey Jake, I too have taken a keen interest in coins since I inherited a collection from my dad and grandpa. I have bought a bunch in the past few weeks. My favorites are the Morgan Silver Dollars and the Silver Eagles. The Eagles appear to be the most liquid coin so it will be the easiest to sell if the market moves a lot one way or the other. I have convinced my wife that the silver market is going up so we have been buying Eagles and silver mining stocks! Best of luck whatever you decide but remember that when the time comes to sell those generic rounds might be harder to get rid of than a silver eagle so even though you might pay a couple dollars more now, in the long run it might be worth it

Exactly, just looking for liquidity at this point. I'm hoping to transition into a collector at some point down the road as I learn more about the industry. I'm on your team as well, silver to the top!

Old 09-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
jake9494

- - - - -

Last edited by jake9494; 09-18-2017 at 04:08 PM.