Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #26
Pathora

I opened a sick case of 2013 (I think) Leaf Best of Basketball and never done anything since and it seems to have been a great move with all this garbage Ball stuff.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=537958

Sadly I sold the Jordan pretty much after I busted that, have a little regret.

Nice 9.5 cards but I had a BGS 7 camera/scanner at the time.

129/250 2016/17 Revolution Galactics, LF more.
Pathora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #27
LEAF
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC71 View Post
authenticity is questionable in alot of those products

Why don’t you specifically make a statement about what isn’t authentic?

Lol...

Making statements with no support at all speaks volumes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #28
LEAF
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nera20 View Post
Totally agree with you most designs are horrible, tons of stickers, most is probably fake material (like the other companies) and most of their products hold little value.

See our last post... would love for some naysayers to specifically state that ANYTHING is not authentic

Old 08-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #29
nera20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAF View Post
See our last post... would love for some naysayers to specifically state that ANYTHING is not authentic

Put a picture of the jersey or bat on the back of the card and specify the date of the game it was used in and a picture of the jersey or the bat, just putting game used memorabilia on the back of the card doesnt mean anything these days. If you really bought a authentic game used jersey you will be able to provide the origin of the jersey/bat/etc...
Old 08-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #30
johnyensmith123

Quote:

"our"?

It's just your personal post as the head of Leaf... I always get annoyed when some people use "our" and "we" to seem more official and authentic when it's just one person (instead of an actual group or company), like an individual collector selling on ebay saying "check out our other items" or an individual youtuber saying "our channel" or whatever.
johnyensmith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #31
LEAF
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nera20 View Post
Put a picture of the jersey or bat on the back of the card and specify the date of the game it was used in and a picture of the jersey or the bat, just putting game used memorabilia on the back of the card doesnt mean anything these days. If you really bought a authentic game used jersey you will be able to provide the origin of the jersey/bat/etc...

Love where your head is, except that you would never see any older game used ever again!

It would all be player worn (even on legends)..

We pay a lot of money for game used versus player worn on non-rookies...

Heck, we we got jerseys straight from the CHL to cut up we didn’t have that level of information available..

Love the idea though!
For some high end pieces we will try to do this where possible (with available info)...

Old 08-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #32
LEAF
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyensmith123 View Post
"our"?

It's just your personal post as the head of Leaf... I always get annoyed when some people use "our" and "we" to seem more official and authentic when it's just one person (instead of an actual group or company), like an individual collector selling on ebay saying "check out our other items" or an individual youtuber saying "our channel" or whatever.

This is Brian Gray, CEO of Leaf. I speak for the company legally and myself informally. Therefore, it is a “we” as I speak for the company and myself in those capacities..

(And yes, we are not a two man operation.. we have 20+ employees on a daily basis)..

Old 08-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #33
6celtics33

Loved your 1990 baseball set, thanks
6celtics33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #34
LEAF
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6celtics33 View Post
Loved your 1990 baseball set, thanks

Lol.. they did a nice job back then

Wish it was that easy today!

Old 08-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #35
6celtics33

Quote:
Lol.. they did a nice job back then

Wish it was that easy today!

Me too
6celtics33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #36
LEAF
Manufacturer

I truly miss the simplicity of collecting in that era...

It is a challenge today.. no doubt...

BUT, a challenge worth taking on!

Old 08-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #37
JMarchand1981

Not for anything but 94-95 Leaf hockey is some of the nicest cards I have ever owned...
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #38
Deadshot

While we're talking about provenance...do you remember where you got some of Jack Ruby's clothes at? I'm a history buff and was happy to add this to my collection:

Deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #39
Silverandgold

Leaf can you please make another Leaf Oval Office and more Cut Signature Series! It's been too long!
Silverandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #40
Silverandgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
While we're talking about provenance...do you remember where you got some of Jack Ruby's clothes at? I'm a history buff and was happy to add this to my collection:

I agree, Leafs history products are their best by far. Always do a great job.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #41
johnyensmith123

Quote:
This is Brian Gray, CEO of Leaf. I speak for the company legally and myself informally. Therefore, it is a “we” as I speak for the company and myself in those capacities..

(And yes, we are not a two man operation.. we have 20+ employees on a daily basis)..

Yes I know. That's why I specifically said that you're the "head of Leaf". Regardless, it's essentially your personal account. In fact, if you were just an employee of Leaf rather than the head of Leaf, I think that wouldn't have been weird at all, because a regular employee of a company saying "we" and "our" to refer to the company isn't weird because that person's speaking for the company as just an employee.

But here you said "our post" when it really is kind of just your account on blowout. If it were like an official Leaf statement, saying "we" doesn't seem weird at all obviously. But yeah I just got the feeling you were saying "our" just to sound more official here.
johnyensmith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #42
TMILL

It's his company; everything he says represents Leaf as a whole. I agree with using our/we.

I too question Leaf and Panini memorabilia authenticity though...

Anyway, love the leaf q products, but not a fan of leaf Pearl. Wish yall could bring back the early 2000s with a photo of the memorabilia used on the back of the card. Why are you able to use headshots of some people but others you can only use a picture of a jersey? Ie: Babe Ruth cards - some have a photo of the Babe, others it's just a jersey of him.
Looking for 97-98 UD Game Jersey Iverson, 1999-00 HoloGrFx Shoe Time Barkley, 2001-02 Fleer Shoebox Collection - Sole of the Game - Triple Materials - ball, shoe, jersey - Iverson, 2004-05 Swatches of Stardom Iverson, LeBron NFL: Major Applewhite Premium Ink 1/1 Autograph and other autos!
TMILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 PM   #43
Silverandgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMILL View Post
It's his company; everything he says represents Leaf as a whole. I agree with using our/we.

Anyway, love the leaf q products, but not a fan of leaf Pearl. Wish yall could bring back the early 2000s with a photo of the memorabilia used on the back of the card. Why are you able to use headshots of some people but others you can only use a picture of a jersey? Ie: Babe Ruth cards - some have a photo of the Babe, others it's just a jersey of him.
I'd have to disagree on pearl based on the fact they had high end cut autographs and Otani falling atleast one a box. If Q added in higher end cuts I'd probably buy in more.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:12 AM   #44
dlutton

Damn y'all are hammering Leaf...I actually love their Leaf Metal products lol I just wasn't a fan of the Ball family being autographed...I get it's a business though and they drive $$$. Didn't mean for the CEO to have to get involved haha y'all shouldn't make claims that aren't backed by proof though.
dlutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #45
duron

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyensmith123 View Post
Yes I know. That's why I specifically said that you're the "head of Leaf". Regardless, it's essentially your personal account. In fact, if you were just an employee of Leaf rather than the head of Leaf, I think that wouldn't have been weird at all, because a regular employee of a company saying "we" and "our" to refer to the company isn't weird because that person's speaking for the company as just an employee.

But here you said "our post" when it really is kind of just your account on blowout. If it were like an official Leaf statement, saying "we" doesn't seem weird at all obviously. But yeah I just got the feeling you were saying "our" just to sound more official here.
Talk about paralysis by analysis, holy lord.

Btw, if a bigger company like Panini rarely game dates or specifies jerseys used, why do people think it would be easier for Leaf to do it before them?
Old 08-14-2018, 03:29 AM   #46
LEAF
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post

We bought pieces of his personal wardrobe that were sold by Alexander Auctions with family letters.... I don't remember many off the top of my head, but I love the Ruby stuff myself!
BG
Old 08-14-2018, 03:31 AM   #47
LEAF
Manufacturer

Quote:

Thanks for the constructive post.. All Jersey/photo choices are usually licensing driven...

We are pleased to have just re-upped our deal with babe Ruth in a Multiyear deal so far more should have images now!
Old 08-14-2018, 03:32 AM   #48
LEAF
Manufacturer

Quote:

On the other topic, I can assure you we spend WAY to much money on legit memorabilia... It would be so much easier to have legends throw on old jerseys and do player used... LOL...

I think well stick with spending lotsa of $$$ on GU!
Old 08-14-2018, 03:34 AM   #49
LEAF
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlutton View Post
Damn y'all are hammering Leaf...I actually love their Leaf Metal products lol I just wasn't a fan of the Ball family being autographed...I get it's a business though and they drive $$$. Didn't mean for the CEO to have to get involved haha y'all shouldn't make claims that aren't backed by proof though.
Never apologize for constructive opinions and feedback!

These are critical to us making better products and your enjoyment of those products....

BG
Old 08-14-2018, 04:05 AM   #50
hairyangryfella

Quote:
On the other topic, I can assure you we spend WAY to much money on legit memorabilia... It would be so much easier to have legends throw on old jerseys and do player used... LOL...

I think well stick with spending lotsa of $$$ on GU!
I have no foot in any camp so I'm not asking this accusingly, I'm just interested in how you acquire and scrutinise the memorabilia you use?
My belief is that the likes of Panini, and probably yourself, can simply purchase any item on auction presented as 'game used' and fall back on the fact that somebody told you it was so that's what you trusted.
However, as there are so many highly questionable items sold weekly, I am greatly concerned that those may be used in cards on that basis of 'that's what we were told' without further research having been done.
If I'm interested in an auction item I will research and try to photomatch it before even considering buying it. If I can't, or have any doubts, I stay away.
I'm personally interested in what a manufacturer like you does here, or if you have people to do this for you etc.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote