Blowout Cards Forums
May Flowers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

View Poll Results: Is pirating movies/music a bad thing?
Yes 91 70.00%
No 39 30.00%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #51
37Jetson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Did the mix tape get you to 2nd base.
Sadly no, it was created after our first date in an attempt to get a second date and an extra base "hit". First date (went to see the original National Lampoon's Vacation) was great from making out until I had a cramp in my tongue, but the sequel never happened. 2nd Base would have been something to write home about.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #52
freethrowtommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Sadly no, it was created after our first date in an attempt to get a second date and an extra base "hit". First date (went to see the original National Lampoon's Vacation) was great from making out until I had a cramp in my tongue, but the sequel never happened. 2nd Base would have been something to write home about.
That can actually happen?

The more you know...
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:01 AM   #53
fm8418

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legaccy View Post
Wrong. The greed for more money is the reason for higher priced entertainment.
I fined stuff cheaper than it used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
Make a good movie or good music and I will pay for it. Everything else, well I wouldn't pay for it anyways so downloading it isnt stealing in my eyes.

Last edited by fm8418; 09-14-2014 at 05:04 AM.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #54
armyatc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
To be fair, no man or woman can fix the tire fire that was this country once Bush left. It's a 10+ year fix.
Well this thread will be deleated so why not

How much in debt were we when Obama took office and compare that to today...yeah what we have racked up (and continue to rack up) will be more than "10 years" to fix, hell if it's ever fixed

Also I feel bad for anyone that believes the president saying we will be out of Afghanistan by the end of the year

SMDH
Old 09-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #55
MetDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyday View Post
So a lot of people think it's okay to pirate music and movies....but god forbid someone charges $2.00 shipping and ships in a PWE.
Thats really is an excellent point.

to further that point,

Consider the uproar when someone says "I'll take it" for a $2 card, but then doesnt pay.
Thats not even stealing. The seller provided nothing for nothing right?

So apparently to some people on BO
someone who backs out of a $2 deal is a horrible piece of excrement,
but the person who steals $2 worth of stuff is a good human being.

Id also love to hear why any artist is required/expected to share their creation with the public at all,
if its just going to be stolen... with a sense of entitlement to boot.
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #56
benshobbies
Inactive Account

Is lifting a CD from a music store bad?

Is blowing a stoplight when you are in a hurry bad?

Is taking a left hand turn without putting your signal bad?

Are you bad? Do you feel bad?

Does it make you feel bad? If it does than you shouldn't do it.
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #57
IronMonkey415

Yea I've decided to not steal GODZILLA movie and I'm keeping all the snacks for myself.
Got made fun of because my computer was not hooked up to the TV.

🙈 - 🙉 - 🙊
Bound by blood. Divided by fate. Driven by destiny
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #58
IronMonkey415

I threw all those so called "Guest" out of the house.

🙈 - 🙉 - 🙊
Bound by blood. Divided by fate. Driven by destiny
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #59
Brobocop

Yes it is stealing but there is not much Hollywood can do about it now. They can only hope that enough people will pay to go see the movie, buy the home video release, and rent the digital version when it comes out. I think piracy is one of the many reasons why Hollywood banks so heavily on established franchises. They have a good idea of how many people are going to pay to see a movie. What has become surprising is how much money a country like China, known for an abundance of piracy, now sinks into seeing Hollywood movies. I believe Transformers 4 made more money there than it did in the United States.

Does piracy hurt movies and music, probably. It's just incredibly hard to say by how much. The argument is generally that a person who downloaded a movie wasn't going to pay to see it anyways so how much money was really lost, if any?
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #60
Cubs

Bad ....yes
Easier....yes
Cheaper....yes
Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #61
37Jetson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Yes it is stealing but there is not much Hollywood can do about it now. They can only hope that enough people will pay to go see the movie, buy the home video release, and rent the digital version when it comes out. I think piracy is one of the many reasons why Hollywood banks so heavily on established franchises. They have a good idea of how many people are going to pay to see a movie. What has become surprising is how much money a country like China, known for an abundance of piracy, now sinks into seeing Hollywood movies. I believe Transformers 4 made more money there than it did in the United States.

Does piracy hurt movies and music, probably. It's just incredibly hard to say by how much. The argument is generally that a person who downloaded a movie wasn't going to pay to see it anyways so how much money was really lost, if any?
I believe the only piracy that Hollywood really cares about is the piracy for profit folks. Every once in a while there will be a sting to nab a grandmother and some teenagers, but this is probably just window dressing to scare people.

In China they take Camcorders and Smartphones into the movie theaters to film right off the movie screen. That way you can buy a really bad bootleg copy within days of the movie being released. The fake DVD stores are everywhere in China. They will copy anything that is not Chinese Intellectual Property because going against the Chinese Government will earn one a bullet in their head in a remote Rice Paddy.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #62
fullmetal
Banned

We all suffer. The costs of piracy are calculated into the prices paid for everything associated with the property.

A shoe store predicts thefts and other losses and reports it to investors as shrinkage. Shrinkage is made up for by upward pricing the products they sell. Every industry employs this.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #63
free2131

Send a message via Yahoo to free2131

I won't lie, I have pirated music, movies, and software, but I am under no illusion that what I did was morally righteous.

Personally, I think the music and movie industry could have really stepped out ahead of the piracy issue if they had responded to it by making it easier to obtain their product online and at a fair price. People were tired of paying $20-30 for a new CD that they only wanted 2 songs from. I truly believe that piracy wouldn't be as big of an issue as it became had the RIAA focused on delivering music digitally rather than suing people and paying off politicians. It doesn't make piracy any more morally correct, but it did show a huge lack of foresight and too much clinging to of an old school and outdated philosophy.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov
free2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #64
ilovethelakings
I make a lot of posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
We all suffer. The costs of piracy are calculated into the prices paid for everything associated with the property.

A shoe store predicts thefts and other losses and reports it to investors as shrinkage. Shrinkage is made up for by upward pricing the products they sell. Every industry employs this.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #65
mike barnes

do i mid paying 15 bucks for a season of game of thrones nope
buying a cd for 5 bucks or so nope
a blu ray or dvd for 10 or less
all media is so cheep for the most part after a few months ill buy it then
for example arrow was 9 bucks a few weeks ago so i got it instead of pilfering it
and ill get 9 for it after i watch it anyway
Game of thrones might be pricy the first month or so after that 20 or less is that too much to pay probably not for a show that costs 100 million a season to make
if some people did not pay for this stuff no one gets to see it if thay dont make money we dont get our tv
mike barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #66
fm8418

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
I won't lie, I have pirated music, movies, and software, but I am under no illusion that what I did was morally righteous.

Personally, I think the music and movie industry could have really stepped out ahead of the piracy issue if they had responded to it by making it easier to obtain their product online and at a fair price. People were tired of paying $20-30 for a new CD that they only wanted 2 songs from. I truly believe that piracy wouldn't be as big of an issue as it became had the RIAA focused on delivering music digitally rather than suing people and paying off politicians. It doesn't make piracy any more morally correct, but it did show a huge lack of foresight and too much clinging to of an old school and outdated philosophy.
cds have always been about 11.99 by me for the last 20 years.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #67
Nicnac

Quote:

Again, so 99c a song is not a fair price? If you love the song?
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #68
mike barnes

99c for a song
or 799 for a cd
i have not seen a cd at 20 -30 in years and years and everything is findable at lower prices
but free for most people is still free no matter what

I mean who cares of the person that made it gets paid for your usage or not seems to be the idea most are following o its too pricy so ill swipe it cause i can. you can pay 50 bucks for a box of cards that gets ya a 10 buck return
but cant pay for a movie or cd that you know what your getting seems a little off
mike barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #69
btimm

The last three albums I bought off of Amazon cost me $19.97 total for all three. Where are these $1.99 per song and $15-20 per CD numbers coming from? Oh yeah. Made up numbers by people who want to justify stealing.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #70
Nicnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike barnes View Post
99c for a song
or 799 for a cd
i have not seen a cd at 20 -30 in years and years and everything is findable at lower prices
but free for most people is still free no matter what

I mean who cares of the person that made it gets paid for your usage or not seems to be the idea most are following o its too pricy so ill swipe it cause i can. you can pay 50 bucks for a box of cards that gets ya a 10 buck return
but cant pay for a movie or cd that you know what your getting seems a little off
^ the truth ^
Old 09-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #71
free2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Again, so 99c a song is not a fair price? If you love the song?
No, but when Napster first hit the scene, instead of seeing that a huge percentage of people who pirated music did so because of the convenience of having that song digitally and adjusting their business model to accommodate those people, they dug their heels in, fought those people, and were basically forced kicking and screaming into the new age of music distribution. They created a lot of disgruntled potential customers because they didn't listen to them.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov
Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #72
Gibberish

It's an issue of semantics IMO.

I see no issue with piracy. You can take the pro-data side, but there are far more loopholes to that view to make you look stupid than there are not. So it is best to say you are too cheap to spend the cash that take the FREEDOM OF INFORMATION side....because by that logic, your entire life and that of everyone around you, should be flayed open for all to see. Everyone's pay scale should be available to be seen...all data about you as a bad person or employee or good, should be open and bare

No, if you take the freedom stance, you are not thinking it through

Take the cheap stance !
ALSO

Either Ironmonkey is jerking your chain or he is new to torrenting since Godzilla, DVR, has been available for months
Sceper | For your daily Scene and P2P releases

I do not care myself. The people judging are using semantics. They speed, they make illegal turns,they litter,etc,etc......you can disagree with piracy,but you cannot label accusations or champion it unless you are in a place where you never break the law.

Seedboxes and tunneling
Old 09-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #73
Gibberish

OH
A side note.
It is NOT illegal to download content you are licensed for.

I pay for cable and I Download every TV show I watch online as I do not care to sit and watch in the living room and I like the options with my desktop. If I see a movie on cable that I want to see but will not have time, I download it. I DLed the Great white hype last week. It was on stars and I did not have time to watch it. I also stream my desktop to my TV so the kids can access my movie library.
I have licensed access to the content by subscribing to cable. However, that content must have aired in the last 48 hours to be legal

Now, downloading the newest movies in the theater is piracy as is DLing most music
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #74
Nicnac

Quote:
No, but when Napster first hit the scene, instead of seeing that a huge percentage of people who pirated music did so because of the convenience of having that song digitally and adjusting their business model to accommodate those people, they dug their heels in, fought those people, and were basically forced kicking and screaming into the new age of music distribution. They created a lot of disgruntled potential customers because they didn't listen to them.
Not aimed at you specifically:

Ancient history. And an excuse. If you don't want to pay for your media, don't pay for it, but don't use something in the past to try to justify stealing it.

If you LOVE the media, pay for it. Otherwise, you have no right to complain about the lack of quality.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #75
free2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Ancient history. And an excuse. If you don't want to pay for your media, don't pay for it, but don't use something in the past to try to justify stealing it.
I'm not talking about justifying anything.

I am speaking to ways that the music and film industry could have used the early days of piracy as a way to turn some of those people into paying customers. Basically, most people are willing to pay for entertainment if you make it easy for them and you charge a fair price. Take this GOT example a few years back:

It's bad business to make your product hard for people to buy, especially when you have a free alternative (legality aside) that is both easy and fast. You can call it making justifications, and no intelligent person is going to argue that it isn't illegal, but there was an opportunity missed by these folks to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t. It all came down to stubbornness, greed, and fear of changing technologies.