Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #26
Almendrita

I bought this on ebay last week, I thought you might want to see it.

Almendrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #27
SBelcher

I picked up one of those promos after seeing this thread (Thanks, Sapphire Sports!)
Now to find someone to sell me a case when it releases... XD
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #28
lklopfenstein

Just pre-ordered 2 cases. Not sure if this will be a hit or not but wanted to lock in early!
lklopfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #29
tier1dc

$1000 for a 12 box case....

I only cursorily know about Rick and Morty. The sauce fiasco and the fandom in general.

What are the chances this product will increase enough to create resell profit?
tier1dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #30
SBelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tier1dc View Post
$1000 for a 12 box case....

I only cursorily know about Rick and Morty. The sauce fiasco and the fandom in general.

Just my opinion, but it's too early to tell. Sketch heavy (volume vs. quality), no list of autograph signers... I love the show and was fully prepared to buy a case, but seeing the actual price tag - yikes.
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #31
kerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tier1dc View Post
If you are chasing profits, take a $1000 and put it in your 401K.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #32
nabzy28

Hopefully they go crazy posting sketch card previews like some of the other sets.
Will 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 be the year Panini finds Marvin Harrison & Marcus Allen to sign their NFL's Greatest Signatures cards? 05/08/18: Replacements requested. Let's see what happens...
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #33
jdandns

Take the "Simpsons Mania" card set from 2001 (released by Inkworks) as a possible comparison. It was based on a well regarded animated series, arguably at the peak of its popularity (and still critically acclaimed, far more than today).

It was early in "hits" era for non-sports, but it had both autograph and sketch cards. Autograph cards were from voice actors of the main cast (except Marge) and a couple of key supporting players. They were found one in every other box. Sketches were from 9 different artists who'd worked either on the show itself (directors, animators), on the Bpngo line of Simpsons comic books, or on Simpsons publicity for Fox-TV. Those were found at a rate of one in every 4th box. Boxes originally retailed for about $50 and about 8,000 were made (still a low print run in 2001).

Today, the 7 autographs range in value from $20 to $70.
The 9 sketch artist cards have a low value of $100, but the vast majority of them are worth $200+ with the best ones being closer to $400.
Sealed boxes are easily worth $200 (even though no hit boxes exist, by the odds) and have been at that plateau for a long time already.

Rick and Morty fans on the cusp of Season 4 are far more rabid than Simpson fans were a decade into that show. I think this set will be an enormous hit as long as there is a good list of signers, but especially if the artists go to town on the sketches, which based on what we saw with Crypto's "Adventure Time", they will. That said, the market is saturated with sketches, so they are much less of an escape hatch for flippers these days. But "Rick and Morty" has legs as should remain popular for at least another 5 years, certainly as long as new episodes are being made. For long-termers, sealed boxes of these will far exceed their original retail cost, I think, as with "Simpsons Mania".
Old 01-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #34
coltsnsox07

About $83 a box, not bad. Can't wait to see some of Roiland's funny inscriptions(I hope) on his autos like in Adventure Time.
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:40 AM   #35
tier1dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
If you are chasing profits, take a $1000 and put it in your 401K.
Not so much chasing profit but don't want to get left holding a flat product at this price point.

@jdandns thanks for that. Think I'll hold off for now.
tier1dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #36
mf1971999

I would love any artists on the set to list the restrictions to confirm what a little bird told me, which is that there is a set list of characters and there are restrictions on their look and limits on how creative the artists can be. I hope I was misinformed, but it sounds like the looks, poses and situations must remain true to the character in season one.

If true that would be disappointing, no one wants strict recreations of cels from the show.

EDIT: the look must be Season 1, but the restriction is they can't do anything "out of character" so given how insane these characters are, that's a pretty wide range of latitude. Allegedly.

Last edited by mf1971999; 01-20-2018 at 04:27 PM.
mf1971999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #37
Almendrita

They are not going to be strict recreations.
Almendrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #38
KolectorKardKat

Thank you for posting the announcement of this set, I now know what new collection i’ll be Investing in this year.
KolectorKardKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #39
jdandns

Would like the see the creatives at Crypto (or, even better, the Rick and Morty production team itself) come up with a set that was itself a take-off on card sets, so memorably accomplished with the Monty Python TV series card set from Cornerstone in the mid 90's. The geniuses (said with zero sarcasm) at R&M could help make something really special here, a sort of "new thing" to tide over the ever patient fans of the animated series, at least a year away from returning by most accounts.
Of course, any real participation on the card set from the production team could slow the crafting of the new episodes and that. cannot. happen. If Harmon and Roiland can hold it together for at least another couple of seasons, Rick and Morty is almost certain to end up a classic of the form, not just for animated series, but for sitcoms in general. Its level of quality over all three seasons has been astonishingly high, as it has tapped into the rare formula for humor that is a perfect blend of high and low brow, ensuring mass appeal.
Really glad for this set, whatever it ends up. I know the extra base sets will make some great gifts for fellow R&M fans I know who aren't card collectors. Cases of pretty much anything are a bit too pricey these days, but I'm in for a few boxes of these, for sure.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #40
nabzy28

Can we get any previews of anything from this? Is George even checking in here any longer? Base card? Blank sketch card? An insert set design or two? I'm continually perplexed by the lack of product images while a company is trying to generate interest and drive pre-orders. Can't a generic image be placed on the (more than likely approved) set design base/insert card sets?
Will 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 be the year Panini finds Marvin Harrison & Marcus Allen to sign their NFL's Greatest Signatures cards? 05/08/18: Replacements requested. Let's see what happens...
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #41
finfangfan

This set will be great! I am chasing any/all Snuffles/Snowball sketches... hit me up if you get one!

finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #42
eldavojohn

Send a message via Skype™ to eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
This set will be great! I am chasing any/all Snuffles/Snowball sketches... hit me up if you get one!
How dare you ...

eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:27 AM   #43
GFD18

I'm not sure where else to post this, sooo... Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

There is currently a Rick & Morty themed pop up bar in Chicago and its pretty effing sweet!

The Drinks menu was extremely well done. Concentrated Dark Matter is...wow. Amazing.

The beer koozies are schwifty!

I have many many many more pics from the event if anyone wants to see them.
GFD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #44
freddyb

wonder when blowout will have presales up... Dave and Adams is the only place that I see with presales, but living in NYS it adds like $7-$8 a box in sales tax...
Old 02-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #45
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsnsox07 View Post
About $83 a box, not bad.
That's allota Squanch!
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #46
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almendrita View Post
I bought this on ebay last week, I thought you might want to see it.

I have a couple of these for sale or trade if anybody is interested
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #47
gdelan1

P2 was in the last non-sports magazine
gdelan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #48
eldavojohn

Send a message via Skype™ to eldavojohn

Just got an e-mail back from Blowout about preorders. They said that preorders for these should be available middle of next week (Feb 21st ish) ... I might be getting a case or two.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #49
ChristianSaad

I wonder if we'll get any inscription auto variants?
ChristianSaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #50
ChristianSaad

Has the list of sketch artists been revealed? I saw that post from Cypto about how all the sketches are in their possession now
ChristianSaad is offline   Reply With Quote