Originally Posted by jhssketchcards View Post
I remember it like it was yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha - I really like the card.

wharfrat7624 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:11 AM   #603
CPROG

The latest PWCC auction was discussed and I missed or took 2nd place on several very nice cards, but here is one random purchase - had not even known of this card before the minute it ended and it called to me.

CPROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:45 AM   #604
REGGIE206

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPROG View Post
The latest PWCC auction was discussed and I missed or took 2nd place on several very nice cards, but here is one random purchase - had not even known of this card before the minute it ended and it called to me.

Awesome looking card!
REGGIE206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #605
wharfrat7624

Quote:

Very nice - I picked up one of these ungraded at a Philly show last year, sent to PSA and came back a 10.

wharfrat7624 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #606
sportscards03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeanius View Post
So nice!! Are you going to grade it..?
That card looks freakin awesome!
sportscards03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #607
KGWVU

Quote:

I love this card. Great pick up!

KGWVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #608
REGGIE206

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscards03 View Post
That card looks freakin awesome!
Thanks!!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #609
epatmythes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhssketchcards View Post
There are a lot of players who over the years have put up really nice seasonal numbers, even for a few seasons. Every decade has seen hem. Players get hot and have their 4-5 year span where they are “the hottest player on the planet etc”. But each decade has also had a group of guys who are all time greats. They win a few MVPs and otherwise are consistently at the top each year and put up HOF numbers over 75-80% of their 15-20 year career. And then there are the legends - the players who from day one create a “we have never seen this kind of talent before” vibe.
Trout is that type of player. Since he came up he has performed comparable to anyone who has played the game before. There are no slump years. There was no sophomore jinx. Over his 7 years he has arguably been considered the best in the game. Maybe not the best player that year but an overall status. Mantle, Williams, Aaron, Mays, Ruth, Musial, Griffey - on and on. They didn’t win every MVP, but they were at their times, the best. There were the occasional “great seasons” or stretches where guys lit up the stat sheets, but those handful of greats steadily built iconic careers and set a bar some have still never reached.
Trout could fade, he could lose his swing, get injured irreparably and end up an average player for the next 10+ years. But as of now, he is in the class above all other players. There is not one single player who is in that class with him. Some visit the level with extraordinary seasons (Betts this year) but most come and go.
What we are witnessing is something that is rare and amazing to watch unfold. A good season or two doesn’t make a player an all time great (Maris and Dale Murphy won BTB MVPs and are not in the HOF).
There is no telling how good Betts, Judge, JD, Yelich, Arenado etc may be historically, but Trout has already reached that level. Some say his boring, some say he’s not the face of the game, but one day what will not be denied is the mark he will have left in the game as a legend.

I know, right, just think of those stats the first 7 full seasons! 1344 hits, with 282 home runs, 861 RBIs and a .332 batting average. 847 runs scored. Walked 592 times and only struck out 452 times!

Oh wait, my bad, those are Albert Pujols' numbers. Actually, Trout's don't come close. In fact, the only batting stat he did better in was in walks (684), but he still trailed by a wide margin in batting average (.310) thanks to having struck out at more than twice the rate (968).

Of course, I speak in jest... Trout and Pujols are 1A & 1B in my personal collection and collecting goals. It's simply a "caution" that time changes everything and Father Time is the only one to ever bat 1.000!

For the decade of 2001-2010, Pujols was without comparison, in the history of the game. For 2011-present, Trout is running that same track! Today, people and the hobby treat AP5 like a punchline and an afterthought. He's going to be one of only three players in MLB history to be in the 600/3000/2000 club... it's a shame, really!

Here's to hoping the mid-to-late 2020's treat Mr. Trout much better... we as fans, and collectors!
epatmythes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:44 AM   #610
CPROG

Used the 15% off Ebay coupon for another Trout - gotta catch them all....

Last edited by CPROG; 11-22-2018 at 02:55 AM. Reason: accuracy
CPROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #611
jdizzle1990

I’m looking to pick up a 2011 update trout. Are these prices too inflated or is there still room for them to grow?
jdizzle1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #612
Stifle

Location: I've met great collectors throughout MI and N. Indiana / CHI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisyork33 View Post
......and yet this is not elite to some.

In his prime seasons, Trout has been a top 4 MVP on a yearly basis. Does he have a amazing skill set, best in baseball. Does he have flaws, sure, his arm isn't that strong and has let lazy fly balls land in front of him. Those can be overlooked.

What some of the other multiple MVP winners did was be more consistent during their decade of dominance was performing in High Leverage opportunities. Trout in his prime run has twice now been at the bottom (2013 & 2018) in this crucial aspect of the game. Trout had a great 3 year run 2014-2016. He won his two MVP's that stretch while having the closest ballot for second place. A coincidence ? Still a wonderful talent to watch.
Stifle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #613
Chrisyork33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle View Post
In his prime seasons, Trout has been a top 4 MVP on a yearly basis. Does he have a amazing skill set, best in baseball. Does he have flaws, sure, his arm isn't that strong and has let lazy fly balls land in front of him. Those can be overlooked.

What some of the other multiple MVP winners did was be more consistent during their decade of dominance was performing in High Leverage opportunities. Trout in his prime run has twice now been at the bottom (2013 & 2018) in this crucial aspect of the game. Trout had a great 3 year run 2014-2016. He won his two MVP's that stretch while having the closest ballot for second place. A coincidence ? Still a wonderful talent to watch.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know as much about high leverage stats as I should and I need to educate myself on them. From following every Angel game last season it "seemed" like if runners were on and Trout was up to bat he was getting walked. Or if he did something to put the team ahead in the earlier innings, the bullpen was giving that lead up later. But if the stats say he needs to be more clutch, then I agree that is an element of Trout's game that he should work on.

Are his best years behind him, who knows? Injury and Father Time can come knocking at different times for different players. I do know historically age 26-30 are the best seasons for the majority of players. I do think we are heading into a great period of baseball, as not just Trout but so many players hit their potential peak years. As you said it will be fun to watch. For that and so many other things, I'm thankful. Happy Thanksgiving.
Chrisyork33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #614
jjeanius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisyork33 View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know as much about high leverage stats as I should and I need to educate myself on them. From following every Angel game last season it "seemed" like if runners were on and Trout was up to bat he was getting walked. Or if he did something to put the team ahead in the earlier innings, the bullpen was giving that lead up later. But if the stats say he needs to be more clutch, then I agree that is an element of Trout's game that he should work on.

Are his best years behind him, who knows? Injury and Father Time can come knocking at different times for different players. I do know historically age 26-30 are the best seasons for the majority of players. I do think we are heading into a great period of baseball, as not just Trout but so many players hit their potential peak years. As you said it will be fun to watch. For that and so many other things, I'm thankful. Happy Thanksgiving.
Well said.
jjeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #615
jhssketchcards

There is a separate thread wondering if Harper will one day make the HOF... many in MLB have already said Trout would go in today if he retired.
Not sure if that’s true or not as a first ballot guy, but there isn’t more of a lock guy at this age than Trout. Not even close.

jhssketchcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #616
KGWVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle1990 View Post
I’m looking to pick up a 2011 update trout. Are these prices too inflated or is there still room for them to grow?
I think there is still room to grow. I remember reading that the card hit its ceiling when it was selling at $250. I bought eight at that time and they are now selling in the $475 - $600 range (PSA 10).
Old 11-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #617
REGGIE206

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGWVU View Post
I think there is still room to grow. I remember reading that the card hit its ceiling when it was selling at $250. I bought eight at that time and they are now selling in the $475 - $600 range (PSA 10).
Holy moly! They’ve been selling for that price now! Crazy! I haven’t paid attention to it for a while now. I remember buying my BGS 9.5 (all 9.5) around $95.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #618
KGWVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGIE206 View Post
Holy moly! They’ve been selling for that price now! Crazy! I haven’t paid attention to it for a while now. I remember buying my BGS 9.5 (all 9.5) around $95.

Yep, and each time they seem to plateau, they take off again.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #619
ThoseBackPages

Best Modern Flagship RC
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #620
mlbexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGWVU View Post
Yep, and each time they seem to plateau, they take off again.

Don’t forget that most of these sold during the 15% off deal. People spend more then and it then seems to set a new price.
mlbexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #621
KGWVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbexpert View Post
Don’t forget that most of these sold during the 15% off deal. People spend more then and it then seems to set a new price.
That is a good point, so these may not be the best examples. However, the price continues to trend upward despite the seemingly endless availability.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #622
ThoseBackPages

its a "must own" rookie card
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #623
KGWVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
its a "must own" rookie card
Yep, it is a classic. It is one of my favorite Trout cards.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #624
Shadowsonic2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbexpert View Post
Wish I bid on that BGS 9 example that went for under $190 at auction last night. The buyer got an amazing deal for that. Nice subs even.
Shadowsonic2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #625
tconte

Location: Marlton, NJ - Less Than an Hour from the Millville Meteor!

I also love the Trout update.
tconte is offline   Reply With Quote