Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 11

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
Bowman1951

Default BASEBALL ONLY -- Official Blowout Gift Exchange 2018 ($20 item min.)

I reached out to jlzinck as to not steal his thunder after seeing some people missed out on his now closed "Secret Santa" thread for 2018 which I am participating in. After confirming with him that it would be ok, I decided to organize a second wave of anonymous, holiday season gift swaps but I am not participating in this one, only leading the charge.

This secret gift exchange is for BASEBALL CARDS AND MEMORABILIA ONLY. The baseball section is the most popular on BO and I'm hoping this thread can at least stay in this section for more exposure until all participants are in place by November 25th. It varies slightly from what jlzinck is running for all sports.

RULES and Regulations: PLEASE READ THROUGH BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

The participant list will be finalized with an OFFICIAL CUT OFF TIME on November 25th @ 11:59 PM EST. I will then PM the name, address, and gift ideas to their respective “Secret Santa” after shuffling via www.random.org. Sorry, you cannot pick your recipient in advance. You will have roughly three weeks to pick up an item or grab something nice from your collection. Mailing out anytime between 11/26 and 12/17 is perfectly acceptable.

Each participant will be obligated to send a “GIFT” to another participant. The “GIFT” should have a cost value of approximately $20.00 or more (This means you spend at least $20). The “GIFT” should be wrapped according to the season BEFORE it is packaged to be mailed . On the outside of the package, should be placed the words "Blowout Gift Exchange". This should help people from just randomly ripping a package open. Besides the return address on the package, no identification of the sender is necessary.

The package should be mailed BY DECEMBER 17th in order to insure a delivery in time for the holidays. Each participant will then PM me with a tracking #, so I know that their “GIFT” was sent. The word SENT will be placed on the master participant list.“GIFTS” should not be opened before the evening of the 24th of December.

You can send more than $20 in "GIFTS" but ONE item has to be at least $20 in value. You CAN'T SEND two $10 Autos as your gift. It can be difficult to gauge exact prices, all we are saying is.....don't be a complete cheapskate.

Gifts must be sent with Delivery Confirmation and the Tracking Number must be sent to me. Failure to either send out a package at all or the tracking number to me can result in negative feedback on Blowout. You would be reneging on a "deal" between myself and your chosen gift recipient.

**Copy the outline below and PM me a filled out version**

1. Blowout user name:
2. Real name:
3. Mailing Address: Street address, City, State and zip code:
4. At least one favorite MODERN baseball player (2000 - present) but can list up to three:
a. b. c.
5. At least one favorite VINTAGE baseball player (1999 - prior) but can list up to three:
a. b. c.
6. Top BRAND and/or YEAR you like to collect:
7. At least one favorite baseball team but you can list more than one:

All of this information is simply a guide to your gift giver as to who and what you enjoy. If someone says they like the Yankees but Jacoby Ellsbury is their favorite modern player, getting them a Ellsbury auto in a Redsox jersey would be fine!

I get that these aren't "exact" dates for vintage vs modern and can be debatable but for purposes of this gift swap, that is what we are using. Just think of active vs. retired players.

Graded cards for vintage are recommended but if someone lists Mickey Mantle as their vintage player, finding a "poor", raw copy of a 1968 Topps would certainly qualify as more than $20 if you decided to get that. Graded for modern is perfectly fine as well. Purchasing a nice modern card of a vintage player is also fine. It's more about buying the player the person likes than an actual year.....it's not lost on us that vintage cards can get expensive very fast.

Don't rule out memorabilia but if it's an auto, just make sure it can be confirmed as legit (like a trusted COA).

You can send one item or 100, there is no limit on the amount of things sent to your secret person, just remember one must have at least $20 of value. Unopened packs and other oddball items are also encouraged if you want to round out a package.

Finally, please don't reveal who your gift recipient was until AFTER Christmas day.

The following is the list of folks who have sent me their info and will be updated as needed:

tlschwerz
jataman2612
bubblesquirtle
rednecksims
jacobcramblit
themboyz
Dodgerfan74
Johnnycisco96
mnava18
WizardofOz1982

Posting pictures or YouTube videos of your gift(s) once opened to this thread is highly encouraged! Remember to have fun and that the purpose of this is to be a great gift giver. If you back out for whatever reason, you must let me know prior to November 25th or you risk receiving negative feedback on BO! Don't be a scrooge because nobody will like that. I've been warned this has happened in the past and that is very sad.

As always, please PM me with questions. This OP can be fluid although I won't make any major changes to the rules, I reserve the right to tweak them here and there if needed.

Last edited by Bowman1951; Yesterday at 01:18 PM.
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
tlschwerz

This is really neat, thanks for heading this up!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlschwerz View Post
This is really neat, thanks for heading this up!
Thanks so much for joining, I've got you down with all of your info.

There have been others who just haven't responded to this thread yet. No rush if you are still on the cusp and thinking about it, we have over two weeks to bring together a nice sized group of people.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
jataman2612

PM sent

Also possibly interested in current Indians (Not crazy about current card designs though)
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
tonedef2oo8

Smh do people ever learn?

Just buy yourself a 20 card and call it a day 0 chance of something going awry.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
ToppsNowFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch...
ToppsNowFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
chrisfaceoff

I saw you sent me a PM about this. Thank you for extending the offer, but since I wasn't in the other one, I decided to join a Angel Tree here at work and will spoil some lucky little kid for the holidays instead. Free Bump, and best of luck to this SS exchange!
Old 11-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
tlschwerz

Quote:

You must be fun at parties.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
bubblesquirtle

Quote:

I could spend $20 on my own card but I love a little mystery and possibly making a nice addition to someone elseís collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesquirtle View Post
I could spend $20 on my own card but I love a little mystery and possibly making a nice addition to someone elseís collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much for signing up btw.

The list is now fully updated and I ask if you are interested, to not only send me a PM but to respond in this thread as well.

Let's keep it going, I have a goal of at least 20 people and six after the first day is a nice start.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
Johnnycisco96

PM sent
Old 11-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
Dodgerfan74

PM sent
Dodgerfan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
bankdawg

Quote:

If someone joins and are worried about what they're getting then this type of thing isn't for them.
bankdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
Bowman1951

Thank you all to those that signed up over the weekend, list is updated to here. Still have exactly two weeks to sign up and get into the gift giving mood!
Old 11-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
mnava18

Signed up and ready to go!
mnava18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #16
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnava18 View Post
Signed up and ready to go!
Thanks a lot!
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #17
Bowman1951

I had more requests come in through PM only, thank you WizardofOz1982. Updated to here!

We are now up to double digits, still have a stretch goal of 20 total participants or more with less than two weeks to go to sign up.

Please keep them coming, Secret Baseball Card Santas!