Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
CavalierSwim

Default Austin, TX LCS??

I am going to be in Austin this weekend and was wondering if anyone on here was from there/around there and knew of a good store. My Wife is telling me that we "have to go to Austin" this weekend and she is enticing me with the fact that I can find a card store there to spend some time and even a little money in (how can I pass that up??!?!!). So any help would be great. Thanks!
I collect: Chrome RC Refractor base cards of big name guys (mostly football), Current Braves. Also former & current UVA baseball players but I usually do not trade for them... I like to pull my PC stuff. Also female athletes (for my 18 month old daughter) and swimmers, PhotoBucket: CavalierSwim
CavalierSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
George19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierSwim View Post
I am going to be in Austin this weekend and was wondering if anyone on here was from there/around there and knew of a good store. My Wife is telling me that we "have to go to Austin" this weekend and she is enticing me with the fact that I can find a card store there to spend some time and even a little money in (how can I pass that up??!?!!). So any help would be great. Thanks!
Austin...so many fond memories, but not of LCS, rather, of some awesome bars and great pizza after the "last calls."

Have fun!!

George
George19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
cope7279

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierSwim View Post

I asked board members on my autograph club website since the majority of us are around Dallas/Ft Worth area. We have some members in Austin & they came back with this 2 shops that are located in North Austin about 10 miles apart.

Card Traders of Austin
8650 Spicewood Springs Rd #128
Austin, TX 78759-4323
(512) 250-0958

Austin Sports Connection
8312 Burnet Rd # 119
Austin, TX 78757-7763
(512) 458-6433
cope7279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
aggie4ever

It depends what you are looking for in the store.

The guys are Card Traders are a lot nicer and it's a good place to shoot the breeze at and hang around. They also have a good selection of older vintage cards, plus magic/pokemon/yugioh cards for the kids, so it's a great family store. However, the box prices are higher than at Austin Sports Connection, they are marked up about 40% above Blowout's prices. And while they have a decent selection of the newer products, they don't have a lot of each one. They may get a case of a brand new good selling product, but for products that have been out for a few weeks they may have only 4 boxes if it's a midrange product, and 2 if it's higher priced. It looks like the goal is to sell out of most products by the end of each week. So if you want to buy a box or packs, it's better to go earlier in the weekend, by Sunday afternoon a lot of things might be out.

Austin Sports Connection has better prices, but everything is marked with two prices. To get the lower price, you have to join their buyer's club, which costs something like $19.95/year. They generally have at least a case of every popular product. But the owner and his son are definately not as nice as the guys at Card Traders. The owner has no patience for kids and the owner's son seems more interested in doing internet business than with helping you out... unless it looks like you are going to spend some cash. But if your goal is to buy a box of cards at a decent price (for a card store anyway) and you don't care about getting personalized service, it might be the place to go.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote