AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
kevinlucky

Send a message via AIM to kevinlucky
Default Star Wars Sketch Card vs. Game of Thrones Sketch Card

I've been doing some pricing research on Ebay for various non-sport sketch cards and the Game of Thrones sketch cards are selling for more money than Star Wars ones or any other ones. Even the asking prices are more money than Star Wars ones. I've also read some articles with complaints about how strict the approval process is for the Game of Thrones sketches and how they turn down some of the best work submitted. Is Rittenhouse being smart by making their products' best hits the sketch cards and paying more attention to those and their quality rather than making a whole bunch of cards numbered to 5 numbered to 10 and all these different multiples of 5 and numbers ending in 99? Compared to Star wars sketch cards the GOT seem fairly rare and much more valuable at this point in time.
kevinlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
kerg

Supply and demand. I think the insertion rate for S3 sketch cards for GoT was 1 per 2 cases and S4 was 1 per case where Star Wars is typically 3-6 in a case depending on the product. So, naturally they can go for more.

As for approvals, artists couldn't do likenesses, only scenes/objects.

I can't say if the non-sports market (other than Star Wars) really wants multiple layers of inserts in every product. I know I sure don't want /1, /5, /10, /25, /99, /199 like alot of sports caards.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Spider-Fan

GOT sketches are much rarer considering both insertion odds and number of products released.

Pound for pound, I think a top Star Wars card is still going to pull more than an equivalent GOT sketch.

Rittenhouse doesn't see a cent from sketch card sales on the secondary market, and I don't think they take it into consideration when planning their products. That particular product is still primarily autograph driven, and the autograph line up will still make or break the next set.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Andrew Jones

GOT has 4 releases thus far. The first series didn't have sketches so for sketch card purposes it's really only 3 releases. The sketch cards were rare in all three of those releases (not even 1/case and no sketches in the Season 4 Archive Boxes) so you have to get very lucky to pull one even if you buy a case.

On the other hand, Star Wars has had dozens of releases that contain sketches, many of which guaranteed one sketch card per box. There are several Star Wars products where you can pull 15+ sketches from a case that costs hundreds less than a case of GOT Season 2 or 3 and, again, there's no guarantee you'd even get a sketch in that GOT case.

At this point, there are hundreds of Star Wars sketches for each GOT sketch. So it's a supply issue, not a quality issue. Both companies are selling out of their releases so it's hard to fault either for their respective business strategies, but I don't think either company is basing their sketch card strategies on quality, secondary market values, or rarity.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
justice41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
GOT has 4 releases thus far. The first series didn't have sketches so for sketch card purposes it's really only 3 releases. The sketch cards were rare in all three of those releases (not even 1/case and no sketches in the Season 4 Archive Boxes) so you have to get very lucky to pull one even if you buy a case.

On the other hand, Star Wars has had dozens of releases that contain sketches, many of which guaranteed one sketch card per box. There are several Star Wars products where you can pull 15+ sketches from a case that costs hundreds less than a case of GOT Season 2 or 3 and, again, there's no guarantee you'd even get a sketch in that GOT case.

At this point, there are hundreds of Star Wars sketches for each GOT sketch. So it's a supply issue, not a quality issue. Both companies are selling out of their releases so it's hard to fault either for their respective business strategies, but I don't think either company is basing their sketch card strategies on quality, secondary market values, or rarity.

Beg to differ on this point Quality was a must on GOT but even then some slackers did get in. Sometimes it's easier to reject a really well done card that just misses the mark on something than to reject a childlike scribble. go figgah.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
kevinlucky

If GOT puts 2 sketches in every case next season and waters down their sketch card market and then they put out the same lineup of autographs I think all of the Rittenhouse Game of Thrones stuff will be effected and might not look so attractive anymore.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
kevinlucky

The writer hasn't even finished writing the next book yet to cover the filming of season 6 and with such high expectations for next season of GOT it doesn't seem like GOT Sketch Cards are a big enough plus to get people to buy. They should have a way to do a redemption for every GOT sketch. In my opinion every sketch card should be available on the Rittenhouse website and according the date the earlier you get the Sketch Redemption card the more choices you have to choose 1 of a kind sketch cards from their website inventory. If you pay 1k for a case and get a trashy sketch card that's not right.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
justice41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlucky View Post
The writer hasn't even finished writing the next book yet to cover the filming of season 6 and with such high expectations for next season of GOT it doesn't seem like GOT Sketch Cards are a big enough plus to get people to buy. They should have a way to do a redemption for every GOT sketch. In my opinion every sketch card should be available on the Rittenhouse website and according the date the earlier you get the Sketch Redemption card the more choices you have to choose 1 of a kind sketch cards from their website inventory. If you pay 1k for a case and get a trashy sketch card that's not right.
Don't think RA does Redemptions. could be wrong. The same biz model is how they do Star Trek as well as the Recent Buffy Vampire chick sets. some of my cards from season 3. Really tough doing these.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverGOT.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	315813

Name:	GOT32.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	315814

Last edited by justice41; 01-11-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
kevinlucky

Nice ones. You pull those or buy them?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
kerg

Quote:
He drew them.

You'll find alot of artists around here.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #11
BHotz

Remember when Walking Dead sketches were pulling $500-1k+ left and right? Yup that bubble burst. I tried to warn peeps back then too after seeing the evolution of Marvel sketches. So yeah like kerg said, supply/demand is a fundamental driver.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #12
kevinlucky

They gotta start cutting up some props for next season I think. Try and hit a jon snow valyrian steel sword relic card with a piece of his sword since he's dead now or something like that. The clothes are getting played out, I think a piece of that water dancers wooden sword would be cool.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:18 AM   #13
justice41
Banned

Quote:
I'm one of the lucky artists who got asked to do the artwork on these cards. Tomorrow arrives a stack of GOT 5 blanks for me to draw on. Going with oils on a few of them for you guys to fight over. A few of my AR's from Season 4

Name:	Duel-APcrop.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	315858

Name:	Statue-AP.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	315859
Old 01-12-2016, 01:37 AM   #14
kevinlucky

Do you draw under a magnifying glass or something, that top AR has so much detail?
Old 01-12-2016, 02:04 AM   #15
justice41
Banned

Quote:
Do you draw under a magnifying glass or something, that top AR has so much detail?
At Times yeah. Details are fun. With Game of thrones all the Artist Returns are done first then we pick which ones we want returned for us to sell. These were my AR's for season 3

Name:	GOTsamp16.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	315860

Name:	GOTredkeep.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	315861

Last edited by justice41; 01-12-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #16
Armitage

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Armitage; 01-12-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
justice41
Banned

Thanks, for the first set I looked for behind the scenes stuff instead of actual video scans or promo pics. found a few tough finding that kinda stuff that's at a decent enough resolution to use. I'm not doing a lot of cards this set half what i did on the other 2.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #18
justice41
Banned

[QUOTE=WE GOT A SNITCH IN THE ROOM!!.[/QUOTE]

Whens the due date for sending those back? My blanks were supposed to be here today but just asked at RA and they put the package in the wrong pile, good thing i inquired.

Last edited by justice41; 01-12-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #19
Armitage

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Armitage; 01-12-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
Armitage

Happy New Year.

Last edited by Armitage; 01-12-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #21
justice41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
Yeah..I have a feeling I won't be doing that many either. The scenes are tough when you have thousands of screen grabs to cycle through for material and avoid all human likeness.
I take scenes with people and if they are prominent then I just ghost through em and draw what would be behind them. Looks off but works well enough.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #22
kevinlucky

I was looking at some GOT cards by Rich Molinelli on ebay and these 2 show people. I wonder if the artist blacked them out as kind of a statement to Rittenhouse? They are definitely quality pieces but I'm wondering what the motivation was to shadow out the characters, was it from design or to meet standards or both?

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...rCW/s-l225.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n~QAAO...nhA/s-l500.jpg
Old 01-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #23
ashelton

Because you can't draw people.

And unless Rittenhouse drastically changed its policies, this whole offtopic part of the conversation about GoT5 is NDA-breaking.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #24
justice41
Banned

Quote:
I was looking at some GOT cards by Rich Molinelli on ebay and these 2 show people. I wonder if the artist blacked them out as kind of a statement to Rittenhouse? They are definitely quality pieces but I'm wondering what the motivation was to shadow out the characters, was it from design or to meet standards or both?

HBO haven't been consistent with what we can or cannot draw. But the main no no is we cannot draw frontal shots of any main characters. So no Faces or likenesses because HBO and the Actors are a pain inna Butt.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #25
justice41
Banned

Quote:

He could have left the characters in. I've seen these same images done with the characters in place on other cards. The Approvals were sporadic.

Name:	GOTsamp5.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	315915

Name:	GOT-39B.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	315919

Name:	GOT-30.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	315917

Last edited by justice41; 01-12-2016 at 08:59 PM.