Blowout Cards Forums
Basketball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Kungfuwig24

Default 2013-14 Hobby box question

I want to get my brother-in-law a new box of cards for Christmas but collect baseball and don't know a good box to get. Any suggestions? Pros and cons of the new stuff?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
oldgoldy97

UD1 is probably the safest bet. 6 rookies from a good list of choices, a couple jersey hits and the chance at some rarer inserts and parallels. The Young Guns rookie cards are more sought after than a lot of the auto'd and game used (chuckle) rookies.

Select? It's shiny and you could hit a good, low numbered auto but it's way more expensive than UD1 and the cards will probably be less desirable.

The best part of visiting Wisconsin? Leaving.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Kungfuwig24

Sounds good. Thanks for the information there.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
cruiserdaddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
UD1 is probably the safest bet. 6 rookies from a good list of choices, a couple jersey hits and the chance at some rarer inserts and parallels. The Young Guns rookie cards are more sought after than a lot of the auto'd and game used (chuckle) rookies.

Select? It's shiny and you could hit a good, low numbered auto but it's way more expensive than UD1 and the cards will probably be less desirable.
Well said... For what is on the market today UD Series 1 is a no brainer. I stay FAR away from Panini hockey products. Very far.
cruiserdaddy7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
BackupGoalie

I'd go for 2013/14 Artifacts, you can't beat patches and tags!
Old 11-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
TASS

UD Series 1 is the best buy as far as Hockey products with the double rookie crop it's a winner and has the best design and 'action' pictures of any hockey release year after year. Also has a nice compliment of inserts that the 'SP' are numbered. At $65.00-$75.00 a box this product is your best bang for the dollar.

Artifacts is decent but typically has a weak Auto checklist unless you hit a short-print, and outside of the potential to hit a nice patch card the majority of jersey hit's are one color. I don't feel Artifacts is worth the $115-$120 per box cost.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Kungfuwig24

Thanks a alot guys! I am sure my brother-in-law will enjoy what I get him. Looks like I am leaning toward UD series one.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
AllenWilliams87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
UD Series 1 is the best buy as far as Hockey products with the double rookie crop it's a winner and has the best design and 'action' pictures of any hockey release year after year. Also has a nice compliment of inserts that the 'SP' are numbered. At $65.00-$75.00 a box this product is your best bang for the dollar.

Artifacts is decent but typically has a weak Auto checklist unless you hit a short-print, and outside of the potential to hit a nice patch card the majority of jersey hit's are one color. I don't feel Artifacts is worth the $115-$120 per box cost.
$115-$120 for Artifacts? I see it online for $90. My LCS also sells it for $90.

I agree Series 1 is the best bet but Artifacts is exciting. Upper Deck > Panini.
AllenWilliams87 is offline   Reply With Quote