Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 12-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #26
Cyber Warrior

Amazing job on the face..looks more realistic then what I'm used to seeing from him.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #27
Morgoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino13 View Post
These are limited to 100 sets --- and no cleavage and I will put down a friendly wager that it will be at least 2x-3x --- if someone decides to flip them not too long after they are SOLD OUT - at the moment, they might as well be that.

This baby was sold for $650-ish and over $1000 respectively. Again, no tatas showing and it was limited to 250. Unless I was mistaken, it was sold for 3x-5x.

Another thing, with a legion of followers from both aspects --- Star Wars and Adam Hughes, if the asking price is reasonable for the pending Star Wars set - I will bet that it will be sought after in the secondary market!
You need an anatomy lesson. JSC and AH are only collectible if drawing women
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #28
marino13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
You need an anatomy lesson. JSC and AH are only collectible if drawing women
Say what?

(yes I know --- I know --- don't feed the troll)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #29
Lockford88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip67vdub View Post
Captain Marvel #1 variant:

Release Date: 1/20/2016
Simply Beautiful. I can see this being very sought after. This kinda flew under the radar and FOC was last night.
Lockford88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #30
Morgoth

Quote:
Say what?

(yes I know --- I know --- don't feed the troll)
Are you suggesting AH and JSC are not extremely popular for drawing cheesecake? Let's not make the comic art collectors out to be interested in only well done art otherwise Mike Zulli or tons of other artists would be just as popular.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #31
marino13

A non-cheesecase and female and no boobs in sight --- shocking and extremely disappointing!

And it only sold for $9,500!

There goes the theory that AH stuff only sell high when it is female and boobs.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #32
Morgoth

I am talking about comic books not original art, look me up when AH sells for close to Kirby
Old 12-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #33
marino13

That's like saying .... "look me up when any of these joe blows sells like Frazetta or Picasso"
Old 12-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #34
Morgoth

Quote:
That's like saying .... "look me up when any of these joe blows sells like Frazetta or Picasso"
Let's not be too harsh AH is much better than Joe Blow.

Seriously why is it negative to state that AH and JSC art is way more popular with females as the subject than males?

It's like saying Mcfarlane art with Spiderman is way more popular than Spawn.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #35
stardark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockford88 View Post
Simply Beautiful. I can see this being very sought after. This kinda flew under the radar and FOC was last night.
Why would it be sought after? The internet does a really good job of building up the hype for Hughes variants right after the pre-order date has passed and always seem to come up with reasons why this time its the one that will be THE book.
stardark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #36
Lockford88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardark View Post
Why would it be sought after? The internet does a really good job of building up the hype for Hughes variants right after the pre-order date has passed and always seem to come up with reasons why this time its the one that will be THE book.

I never said it will be "the book". I do think this will be one that will be sought after though as there miiiiight not be as many of these as there might have been if Diamond did a proper job in the description. On the FOC which has passed, and still right now, Diamond has the cover artist as TBD. Nowhere does it mention Hughes is the cover artist. Retailers who aren't familiar with his style would have no clue he did it. Leading them to possibly not pad their numbers to get this particular incentive variant. Also it's a beautiful cover of a character that if I'm not mistaken, should be on the big screen in the future. Alot of guys only look at the short term window of When it releases. Nothing past that. As a retailer, do you know how often I have speculators crap all over a book or a title or cover because no immediate heat? I stand by my statement that this will be a book folks want in their collections. In the short term and long term. To me...this is a blue chip.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #37
Stat Monsters

Quote:
A non-cheesecase and female and no boobs in sight --- shocking and extremely disappointing!

And it only sold for $9,500!

There goes the theory that AH stuff only sell high when it is female and boobs.

...but to the point of the marketplace and fans, if that same rendering were not of Spider-Man which sold for a respectable $9,500, and were of Spider-Gwen, you might see that sales price double towards $20k.

Fact of the matter, most comic art fans are male. Most enjoy pin-ups, cheesecake, cute, sexy, erotic or what have you, with female renderings being most popular.

This holds true for most artists, and especially those like Hughes, Campbell, Dave Stevens, and many others.

There are some artists who aren't necessarily known for their female character drawings like Berni Wrightson, Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, Tim Sale, Charlie Adlard, Sean Phillips, Barry Windsor Smith, Jim Steranko and others who, if you pick the right character, male or female that gender won't dictate value/price as much.

Adam Hughes relishes in the fact he's a popular cheesecake artist, and not in a sexist way nor avoiding that pigeon hole. If you look at his witty sketchbooks (and even the titles) he shows and states that loud and proud.

He is an accomplished artist 'tho, and does do great work with non-female characters, and in fact I do hear if doing commissions, when asking for a male character which he's not requested to do so much, which he's interested in, he'd take his efforts up a notch.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #38
stardark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockford88 View Post
I never said it will be "the book". I do think this will be one that will be sought after though as there miiiiight not be as many of these as there might have been if Diamond did a proper job in the description. On the FOC which has passed, and still right now, Diamond has the cover artist as TBD. Nowhere does it mention Hughes is the cover artist. Retailers who aren't familiar with his style would have no clue he did it. Leading them to possibly not pad their numbers to get this particular incentive variant. Also it's a beautiful cover of a character that if I'm not mistaken, should be on the big screen in the future. Alot of guys only look at the short term window of When it releases. Nothing past that. As a retailer, do you know how often I have speculators crap all over a book or a title or cover because no immediate heat? I stand by my statement that this will be a book folks want in their collections. In the short term and long term. To me...this is a blue chip.
Pretty sure anyone that operates a brick and mortar comic shop can spot a Hughes cover from a mile away. To say that he has a consistent and unique style is an understatement.

For the amount of press Hughes gets by the speculating crowd he has very few books that have seen a healthy and longstanding increase in price, especially among his incentive variants.

I don't see this book being any different than Convergence 0, Captain America 25, etc. Wait for pre-orders to close, hype the book like mad, get the book on its release date, resell it by the weekend and be done with it. No thanks.
stardark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #39
Lockford88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardark View Post
Pretty sure anyone that operates a brick and mortar comic shop can spot a Hughes cover from a mile away. To say that he has a consistent and unique style is an understatement.

For the amount of press Hughes gets by the speculating crowd he has very few books that have seen a healthy and longstanding increase in price, especially among his incentive variants.

I don't see this book being any different than Convergence 0, Captain America 25, etc. Wait for pre-orders to close, hype the book like mad, get the book on its release date, resell it by the weekend and be done with it. No thanks.
Who is hyping the book like mad??? I also am not selling this at all except in my shop. Also you would be surprised as to how many retailers don't follow trends or art styles. I already spoke to 2 fellow retailers who didn't notice this. I see it being completely different from both of those. Convergence was a completely different animal and set of circumstances as explained above. Cap 25 is an ok Hughes cover. But it's cool. We can agree to disagree.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #40
jdandns

Longtime fan of the great Hughes, but sometimes the reddish noses make the characters look a little drunk (still beautiful, but maybe a little tipsy...)
jdandns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #41
N3XTLVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Longtime fan of the great Hughes, but sometimes the reddish noses make the characters look a little drunk (still beautiful, but maybe a little tipsy...)
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #42
marino13

Waiting for the his online shop to be opened .... (mind you, I have been waiting since last year!)

.... in the mean time, this has me laughing out loud.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #43
Rip67vdub

Art piece by Hughes. Hopefully, it translates to a variant cover.

2017-2018 NBA World Champions Golden State Warriors
Rip67vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #44
Comix Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip67vdub View Post
Art piece by Hughes. Hopefully, it translates to a variant cover.
Your wish has been granted!

Comix Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #45
Rip67vdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comix Guy View Post
Your wish has been granted!

I'm late to the party. Any booze left?.....Lol.
2017-2018 NBA World Champions Golden State Warriors
Rip67vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #46
N3XTLVL

And with the new article out about AH expect prices to sore like dell ottos have
Old 03-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #47
daxwills

Quote:
Nothing wrong with being flipper --- unless you have unlimited funds, your collection will be very limited. With that said, you need to learn to be a flipper so you can have "recycling" funds to support your hobby. Working 9-5 is not going to cut it.
My 9-5 job more than pays my bills, my hobbies, and pretty much anything else I want. WTH are you talking about?
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #48
daxwills

Oh as for the prints, the Batgirl is OK but the rest I couldn't care less for, so this is an easy pass. I don't care what they're "flipping" for.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #49
comicbooksgo

He's talking about "selling them books" and recycling. I wish he'd talk about how Scott Campbell betrayed him, or how Frank Cho is his boyfriend. That's more entertaining. I also wouldn't mind some more CGC conspiracy. He's been kind of boring lately with his "why can't I stop spending tons of money" crap. Also, he wears the hell out of this emoticon = That's what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
My 9-5 job more than pays my bills, my hobbies, and pretty much anything else I want. WTH are you talking about?
Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #50
daxwills

Scott Campbell betrayed him? That sounds interesting.