Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
BengalsJayhawks

Default Help! Possible Game Used Vintage Baseball Bat Identification

Hello everyone I wondering if we have any game used Bat experts around here. I picked this up over the weekend and was researching it and ran into a wall. What I do know it is a genuine Louisville Slugger Bat, not just a display model and it was produced 1948-1963. It says K48 on the knob and the signature area says BENDER. Here are a few pictures and any help would be awesome. Thank you in advance.

BengalsJayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
enyouartist

You can submit it to John Taube at JTSports and he will issue a PSA certificate. If you plan to sell it, then you can call Chris Cavalier or Ken Goldin and they will take it from there with no out of pocket expense. They will send it to John Taube directly and auction it for you and get a percentage of sale. Either way, eventually it will go to John, as he is the only person in the country that will officially authenticate any bat of value; tell him I said hello!http://www.gameusedbats.com

Last edited by enyouartist; 04-27-2017 at 06:13 PM.
enyouartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
BengalsJayhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyouartist View Post
You can submit it to John Taube at JTSports and he will issue a PSA certificate. If you plan to sell it, then you can call Chris Cavalier or Ken Goldin and they will take it from there with no out of pocket expense. They will send it to John Taube directly and auction it for you and get a percentage of sale. Either way, eventually it will go to John, as he is the only person in the country that will officially authenticate any bat of value; tell him I said hello!Jt Sports
Thank you for the information. I guess my only question is, is this a real game used Bat, or one your neighbor Joe might have had. I'd hate to spend the $50 and find out it's worthless.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
justrun7

The bat is game used, but a quick look at Baseball-Reference shows the only player with the last name Bender in the major leagues was Chief Bender, who played way before this bat was produced. This means this bat is from a minor league player and does not have a high value. Based on similar bats I have sold, I would estimate $25 on a good day.
justrun7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
BengalsJayhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrun7 View Post
The bat is game used, but a quick look at Baseball-Reference shows the only player with the last name Bender in the major leagues was Chief Bender, who played way before this bat was produced. This means this bat is from a minor league player and does not have a high value. Based on similar bats I have sold, I would estimate $25 on a good day.
That's sort of the thought I was having. I even tried to search for the nickname Bender and it came back with just the Chief Bender guy. So really my only hope it's a MLB bat and that it's a nickname for someone, but did they even do that back than? More than likely a minor league bat thou which is a bummer. Still cool thou.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
Firerunner4

The bat is from the time period you stated, as you can tell from the Louisville Slugger stamping. K48 is the model number. Louisville Slugger stamped the model on the knob in 1943 and did so until 1977 when they moved to putting it on the barrel.

There were two players that it could have possibly been. First is Lawrence Bender, who played 1 season for the Johnson City Cardinals in 1961. The second being Bob Bender who played in the Pirates organization in 1958.

Lawerence only has 6 AB's on record, but Bob has 312 plate appearances on record so I would lean more towards it being Bob's bat

I could be way off, but that's my guess
Old 04-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
BengalsJayhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerunner4 View Post
The bat is from the time period you stated, as you can tell from the Louisville Slugger stamping. K48 is the model number. Louisville Slugger stamped the model on the knob in 1943 and did so until 1977 when they moved to putting it on the barrel.

There were two players that it could have possibly been. First is Lawrence Bender, who played 1 season for the Johnson City Cardinals in 1961. The second being Bob Bender who played in the Pirates organization in 1958.

Lawerence only has 6 AB's on record, but Bob has 312 plate appearances on record so I would lean more towards it being Bob's bat

I could be way off, but that's my guess
Thank you for the research and guess. It does make the most since.