Blowout Cards Forums
2017 black Friday wave 7

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
ThoseBackPages
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 15,218
Default Is 2017 the greatest year ever for MLB retail wax?

With #BellyBomb exploding and #ALLRISE, 2017 is an amazing year to be buying retail wax.

Blasters at a 6:1 ratio to hobby is absolutely incredible!!!!!!
__________________
clectors proclaim "the hobby is dead"
Collecting: Waiting is the difficult part.

PSA
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
pwrslide2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: AZ
Posts: 221
Default

What makes this incredible?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
pwrslide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
hermanotarjeta
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrslide2 View Post
What makes this incredible?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
They are the best value out there - hobby retailers have driven the hobby box prices to crazy heights, whereas the retail guys keep the blasters at $19.99, regardless how hot they may be - I think archives blasters are the best value on the market right now in terms of return after breaking.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #4
kyle1707
Member
 
kyle1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,031
Default

Just had this conversation with some card buddies...

Between ebay box breakers retail and collectors..

The money being spent in 2017 has to be astronomical

Just waiting for another usa today or espn article about what happened to the card market...
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
pwrslide2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: AZ
Posts: 221
Default

Thank you. I just needed a little more verbaige. What about jumbo hta though?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
pwrslide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
mfw13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
...in terms of return after breaking.
The only true metric to measure anything in the hobby these days
mfw13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
DrDamo
Member
 
DrDamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 322
Default

Yes, I've had fun with some retail this year, but it's still annoying how hobby boxes have gone up to the point where it's your only option. Having to preorder months in advance is not a viable option for many people.

There's really high demand now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of price fixing going on that could be prosecuted under the Sherman antitrust laws. Then again, that might just be my frustration talking.

Sent from my Apple IIe using Tapatalk
DrDamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
moosetequila
Member
 
moosetequila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cali
Posts: 4,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDamo View Post
Yes, I've had fun with some retail this year, but it's still annoying how hobby boxes have gone up to the point where it's your only option. Having to preorder months in advance is not a viable option for many people.

There's really high demand now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of price fixing going on that could be prosecuted under the Sherman anti-trust laws. Then again, that might just be my frustration talking.

Sent from my Apple IIe using Tapatalk
Frustration calling... line 2

__________________
tiny message for tiny trolls...
moosetequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
Peties Army
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 8,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDamo View Post
Yes, I've had fun with some retail this year, but it's still annoying how hobby boxes have gone up to the point where it's your only option. Having to preorder months in advance is not a viable option for many people.

There's really high demand now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of price fixing going on that could be prosecuted under the Sherman antitrust laws. Then again, that might just be my frustration talking.

Sent from my Apple IIe using Tapatalk
I do have an issue with the preordering months in advance. I got the very last case of TC. My order closed out the preorder at that price. A week later it is up X amount. So if I waited one day it would have cost almost 50% more.

Also, and not to take a shot at our host, I think the deposit for Blowout is a tad much. for a deposit for update it is 200 bucks on a 300 product. Way to high.

Over all get in early or don't bother.
__________________
Need 2014 Topps Finest Greats. Working on the set
Peties Army is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
phil
Member
 
phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
The money being spent in 2017 has to be astronomical

What happens next year when Topps increases production and there is nothing remotely close to a Judge or Bellinger level rookie?
phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
moosetequila
Member
 
moosetequila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cali
Posts: 4,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
What happens next year when Topps increases production and there is nothing remotely close to a Judge or Bellinger level rookie?
LULZ... I think you know the answer...

__________________
tiny message for tiny trolls...
moosetequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
hermanotarjeta
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
The only true metric to measure anything in the hobby these days
How else are you going to measure value?

By the giddy feelings a product gives you?
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
ThoseBackPages
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 15,218
Default

My target had three Archives blasters today, it was a miracle lol
__________________
clectors proclaim "the hobby is dead"
Collecting: Waiting is the difficult part.

PSA
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #14
houdini
admin
 
houdini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 43,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peties Army View Post
Also, and not to take a shot at our host, I think the deposit for Blowout is a tad much. for a deposit for update it is 200 bucks on a 300 product. Way to high.

Over all get in early or don't bother.
You can always email them and they will work with you. It is just easier to say $200 deposit then to try to implement and explain a sliding scale. You know?
__________________
Ustream Link Breakers.TV Link
Shipping rules, guidelines
Get notices for future breaks here
Descanse mi princesita 9/20/00-4/16/15
houdini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
mfw13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
How else are you going to measure value?

By the giddy feelings a product gives you?
Yes.

The hobby used to be primarily about collecting cards. Now it's primarily about profiting from them.

Value used to be a function of how much enjoyment you got from opening a box of cards (i.e. quality of design, number of star players, etc.). Nowadays it's all about how much profit you can squeeze out as the middleman between Topps and actual collectors.

I still get more of a kick from pulling a worthless card of a favorite player from a box of junk wax with a design I like (1988 Topps or 1993 Upper Deck, for example), than I do from any card I purchase on EBay.
mfw13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #16
SaveMeTheGum
Member
 
SaveMeTheGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Englander stuck in CA
Posts: 9,435
Default

Most overblown for sure. It sure is fun, but at some point the music stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
What happens next year when Topps increases production and there is nothing remotely close to a Judge or Bellinger level rookie?
That's easy -- they'll just put 6 or 7 different Judge/Bellinger auto's in ever set. Did I say every set, I meant every case...
__________________
Buying Trey Flowers Contenders Auto's (Pats uni only)
SaveMeTheGum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #17
mr10pin
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,416
Default

Read this thread earlier; just couldn't pass these up tonight.

mr10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #18
hermanotarjeta
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
Yes.

The hobby used to be primarily about collecting cards. Now it's primarily about profiting from them.

Value used to be a function of how much enjoyment you got from opening a box of cards (i.e. quality of design, number of star players, etc.). Nowadays it's all about how much profit you can squeeze out as the middleman between Topps and actual collectors.

I still get more of a kick from pulling a worthless card of a favorite player from a box of junk wax with a design I like (1988 Topps or 1993 Upper Deck, for example), than I do from any card I purchase on EBay.
The best value for you might be a $3 box of 1988 topps, the best value for me is a $20 box of archives retail - I get giddy opening that.

So how are you any right than me than someone opening 2016 transgender baseballl?
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #19
cruiserdaddy7
Member
 
cruiserdaddy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr10pin View Post
Read this thread earlier; just couldn't pass these up tonight.

Nice find. None to be found around here.
__________________
Show me your friends and I'll show you your future.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #20
mr10pin
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Nice find. None to be found around here.
Found them by the Detroit airport tonight.
mr10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #21
ThoseBackPages
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 15,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr10pin View Post
Read this thread earlier; just couldn't pass these up tonight.

LOVE IT!

Dry around here
__________________
clectors proclaim "the hobby is dead"
Collecting: Waiting is the difficult part.

PSA
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #22
bankdawg
Member
 
bankdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 1,661
Default

there's some heritage blasters and hangers at the walmart here, should i grab them?
bankdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #23
crtsports
Member
 
crtsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,332
Default

I have been checking all of my local Targets and have just been able to find three blasters over the past week.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
COLLECTING: Nick Neidert - Seattle Mariners
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
crtsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 PM   #24
callou2131
Member
 
callou2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Centreville, Md
Posts: 3,791
Default

They had a bunch of heritage,archives,and bowman at Wal-Mart tonight. Grabbed 1 bowman and hit a green,blue,and purple and an auto of some pitcher.
__________________
FAKE YOUR MOUTH! I LIFT BRO!
callou2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:12 AM   #25
mfw13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
The best value for you might be a $3 box of 1988 topps, the best value for me is a $20 box of archives retail - I get giddy opening that.

So how are you any right than me than someone opening 2016 transgender baseballl?
I never said or claimed that I was "more right" than anybody.

My point is that far to much of the "value/enjoyment" people get these days is from pulling something they can sell for a profit, not anything having to do with the actual cards themselves.

It's the difference between "cool, I pulled my favorite player from my favorite team" and "cool, I pulled an autograph of a player I couldn't care less about but that I can sell for big $$$ on EBay".
mfw13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.