Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
Vargaman

Lightbulb Can parallels get more creative than borders/backgrounds?

Hey guys,

So I was thinking about parallels and how some work really well and others not so much.

One thing that appeals to me is how Star Wars MW uses wood/acetate/foil/metal/canvas to really make the parallels feel special for their inserts.

Obviously they won't do something like that for the base cards due to costs, but perhaps something like an image variant or different background would work better?

For example, some of the Galactic Files character cards just have a starfield background that's very generic, while others have things like the rebels base or a planet landscape. Perhaps with other sets the "parallel" could be the backgrounds where base if generic starfield and then work it's way up with 3 or 4 levels.

Another idea would be if they used different character outfits for the parallels. So maybe base luke is from lars homestead, then /99 is bespin, /50 is jabba's palace cloak, /10 is x-wing suit and /1 is TFA/TLJ?

This would be kind of like evolution parallels for some characters. C-3PO and R2 have had plenty of wear and tear and look changes throughout the saga as well. for characters that wouldn't have different outfits, they could use different poses then.

Do you have any thoughts for how to make parallels more unique and drive collecting?
Vargaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
DrGhostbuster

I like parallels that really stand out. Ones that you can be sorting through cards and easily spot. I am not a fan of parallels where there is a tiny foil logo in the corner or just a simple rainbow or foil difference where it can be easily missed while sorting base cards.

I am a big fan of alternative pictures. Batman Masked/Unmasked, Princess Leia/Slave Leia, Peter Venkman GBI/GBII Uniform. You get the idea.

One set that always perplexed me was Topps 75th. That was a set I was heavily invested in. Opened 30+ cases. It had 3 Parallels to the base set. 1) The standard unnumbered "Rainbow Foil" 2) a really nice looking "Diamond Sparkle" set numbered to /75 3) and the rarest pull, a "Modern Gloss" numbered to /10.

I loved the Diamond Sparkle cards as they really stood out and looked special. The modern gloss cards were so boring and actually relatively easy to miss. The only difference was, as the title suggests was a modern looking base trading card compared to the non glossy old school design.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
GoBeavs

I liked the Concept parallels in the Mars Attacks sets. Although those only work on art sets.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
joudenjouden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGhostbuster View Post
I like parallels that really stand out. Ones that you can be sorting through cards and easily spot. I

Agreed. That’s why I still think that Journey to the Force Awakens has the best color parallels for a Star Wars set, hands down
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
rittdk01

I don’t do parallels much. I collected all the parallels of Parks and Rec, but that was because the set was so tiny (13 autos with two per box) .
rittdk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
HiltonL

Yeah, I'm not a parallels kind of guy. Base sets are base sets.

I do really like the Journey to the... sets (excepting the numbers on the front are way small)
The GFR parallel blue and orange sets could go away. They're really just filler.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
ddearing

I assume it's just a matter of time before we start getting alternate backs like we do in Allen & Ginter.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Mahlersketch

2016 marvel masterpieces what if was the best recent parallel by far for me. The artist signature I like bf the artist should get that for the work they put in. The art was amazing. The set was almost perfect but the purple and orange parallel was completely unnecessary and didn’t fit at all.
Mahlersketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
Ty Hope

I like the ginter silk cards. That would work in SW
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #10
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlersketch View Post
2016 marvel masterpieces what if was the best recent parallel by far for me. The artist signature I like bf the artist should get that for the work they put in. The art was amazing. The set was almost perfect but the purple and orange parallel was completely unnecessary and didn’t fit at all.
Thanks for reminding me about the What If parallels. Those were fantastic!
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:30 AM   #11
80s Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
Thanks for reminding me about the What If parallels. Those were fantastic!
I agree, the "What if" parallels were great.
Not sure if using different photos would be a parallel though. To me, that's more of a variation than a parallel. But I like those also.
80s Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
Plinth

It's hard to say where the defining line is between "parallel" and "variant," or "variation." To me, parallels are a change in border or foil stamping, and variations are entirely swapped images on the cards. But what if just the background is changed, as you say above, Varga?

What is interesting is that if you look at the sell sheet for 2016's Evolution, they use the wording "parallel" for the color changes (blue, purple, gold, red), and "variant" for the image swapped short prints. This might be a good example of how Topps views the distinction between parallel and variation:
Parallel is a border, color, stamping, or chrome pattern change, and variation involves an image swap.
Since parallels and variations have been common in sports for some time, such as with Heritage Baseball for example, this whole matter may have been established elsewhere already.

As to the question of "how to make parallels more unique and drive collecting," it seems that others here have expressed the sentiment that:
Greater distinctions make for more collectible parallels.
As classy and elegant as the Force Awakens series 1, 2 and chrome set design was, the foil lettering changes made for an unimpressive parallel when assembled into rainbows. The chrome release was hurt in a way where for many of the darker cards, you're peering through a keyhole to see any pattern difference.

Of one concern is the upcoming Galaxy 2018 release. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing all of the great new art by artists we admire, the parallel difference seems to consist of a different colored foil box (the Galaxy logo) in the corner. It couldn't really be any other way, because it would be a shame to cover up too much of the fantastic art. Maybe if the backs were also a different color, the collectability of the parallels would be greater. So a gold foil logo on the front, and a gold back for the text.

I think a good example of a set that got parallels right is the very well received 2016 Marvel Masterpieces. From what I recall, there was a great amount of excitement on these boards for collecting those. If you look at the foil border on the base, they got it just right. There is enough bold color to distinguish from the others, but not so much design to intrude on the incredible art. Add to that, autograph and "What if" variations. The few completed rainbows posted to these boards have been highly satisfying to look at, largely because they struck an ideal balance between parallel color and variation.
Plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #13
ifish73

I was partial to the 1995 MM Emotion parallels. It was a heavier stock so you could easily tell and it had an emotion word on the card that was a characteristic of who was on the card. 2007 DC Legacy was good. If the parallels are bright and `pop' it works. Just change the border color and it is blah.

If they can do a die-cut parallel that would be neat. I am sure they have done it in non-sport in the past. I know they have done it with Elite and Pinnacle in sports.

And the old Pinnacle Dufex would be the best!
Old 09-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #14
jamesr

In my view, backgrounds / patterns / colour borders are parallels, but different images are variants / short prints. High Tek is a good example of this (I was very disappointed there were no SPs in the third set, they were one of the best parts of the first two IMO).

Another parallel option is card finish - like base vs. refractor vs. superfractor. TFA Chrome had quite a few nice effects like this. Though sometimes it could be hard to tell the difference without the numbering to help.
jamesr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #15
kyle1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
I like the ginter silk cards. That would work in SW
Just make ginter. Would be great. Mini auto... rip cards

Mini silk ...printing plates
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #16
xtwinstarx

They could have inscription auto parallels. That could be something that makes a parallel more desirable.
xtwinstarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #17
finfangfan

I’d like to see them do a cheap Marvel Encyclopedia A-Z set featuring 200-300 characters. No inserts. Just like 20 random base parallels of each card with no parallel having fewer than 25 copies to encourage more collectors to rainbow certain characters. It would be a fun trading set on ePack.
finfangfan is online now   Reply With Quote