Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #51
mnvikingstwins

The Barn won't be getting replaced any time soon. There might be too many obstructed view seats, but it is still getting packed and loud, and the boosters won't support a new stadium based on the nostalgia of the Barn. Gophers might not be Indiana/OSU level, but still finish on the NCAA bubble and have produced guys that do well in Europe like Westbrook, Sampson, Nolen, Hoffarber, etc. New facilities should be able to bring in a top-quality coach, the school certainly hasn't been wasting much on athletics besides paying Brewster, Mason, and now Tubby for their buy-outs.
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #52
shadetre

Saw Tubby at some clinics--always thought he was extremely personable--
Even caught a game at Barn this year to watch a kid from Wisconsin play (Ellenson)--hadnt been in that gym since watching Thompson--Buckner--May--

One thing I always thought over the years watching from across the border--

Tubby was going to out recruit Bo every year in terms of "on paper" talent and Bo's players were always going to get better over time---

One other sideline to what Minny does to fill this spot is to watch the recruitment of the kid from Apple Valley and where he ends up----

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #53
nomarkj

I currently attend the U of Minnesota, and right now I'm seeing just about a 50/50 split on people's opinion of the firing. The big knack against Tubby is the consistency of the team. It's hard to go through a roller coaster of a season which saw the team ranked in the top 10 in the country early in the season along with beating Indiana to losing against Northwestern and a few basement dwellers. I personally thought this years teams had all the talent to compete with the best of the teams out there: both Hollins, Williams, Coleman, and Mbakwe are super athletic, and yet the team looked all out of sorts at the time. I am saving my opinion of the firing until I see who the new hire is...then I will decide.
nomarkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #54
Jwhoops

You people are absolutely nuts if you think Minnesota was going anywhere under Tubby.

He got the first good recruiting class on the new coach/name recognition wave, and the talent level has been spiraling down ever since. With Rodney Williams and Trevor Mbakwe gone, there was going to be a little left in the tank for next year (NIT at best) and nothing after that. His players never liked playing for him, and the Gophers never played up to expectations even one time in Tubby's 6 years. Tubby was down to players with mid-major offers only for 2013, and it didn't look good for him at all on the mega talented in-state class of 2014.

Maturi gave Monson 1 too many years and the Gophers missed out on all sorts of big talent because of it, Teague made the move he had to make and I commend him for it. No putzing around, no weeks to decide like the debacle that was the Rambis firing. Tubby is the 2nd high major coach to get fired, and Minnesota will have quite a few more options than the programs that sit on the decision for a month. If Teague can get the right guy, and the wheels are turning on that front, I think Minnesota can make up ground with these 2014 kids in a big hurry.

And seriously, you think Minnesota can't do better than the bubble every other year as the only D1 school in a 3 mil person metro area and no competing majors within 4 hours drive? Really?

Last edited by Jwhoops; 03-25-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Jwhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #55
mnvikingstwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarkj View Post
I currently attend the U of Minnesota, and right now I'm seeing just about a 50/50 split on people's opinion of the firing. The big knack against Tubby is the consistency of the team. It's hard to go through a roller coaster of a season which saw the team ranked in the top 10 in the country early in the season along with beating Indiana to losing against Northwestern and a few basement dwellers. I personally thought this years teams had all the talent to compete with the best of the teams out there: both Hollins, Williams, Coleman, and Mbakwe are super athletic, and yet the team looked all out of sorts at the time. I am saving my opinion of the firing until I see who the new hire is...then I will decide.
We have to assume that Teague already has someone in mind, given his history and the quick timing of the signing. Wonder if he already has a commitment from Flip or Shaka, and then maybe with Flip would have a better chance at landing Tyus? Wouldn't be worth getting him just to be a one and done though.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #56
nomarkj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
We have to assume that Teague already has someone in mind, given his history and the quick timing of the signing. Wonder if he already has a commitment from Flip or Shaka, and then maybe with Flip would have a better chance at landing Tyus? Wouldn't be worth getting him just to be a one and done though.
I sure hope Teague has someone in mind. During the press conference and from what I have been reading Teague has high expectations for our program. He cleaned house and wants to rebuild, but I think it will need to be Flip or Shaka for it to be considered a success. Anyone else besides those two might garner a few question marks unless there is immediate success. I'm just thankful we will still have Dre Hollins...he is a great player who could be counted on a consistent basis. Hopefully whoever we bring in (coaches and players) will also bring consistency.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #57
mnvikingstwins

Quote:
I sure hope Teague has someone in mind. During the press conference and from what I have been reading Teague has high expectations for our program. He cleaned house and wants to rebuild, but I think it will need to be Flip or Shaka for it to be considered a success. Anyone else besides those two might garner a few question marks unless there is immediate success. I'm just thankful we will still have Dre Hollins...he is a great player who could be counted on a consistent basis. Hopefully whoever we bring in (coaches and players) will also bring consistency.
Hopefully we can recruit Wally's brother to have a decent big guy for four years, he's still a couple years out though. I'd be interested if we can at least interview the FGCU coach, but I have no clue if he plans to stay with the school or jump ship to a power 6 or NBA team. At this point, I'd guess that Brad Stevens is staying with Butler for a while.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #58
nomarkj

Quote:
Hopefully we can recruit Wally's brother to have a decent big guy for four years, he's still a couple years out though. I'd be interested if we can at least interview the FGCU coach, but I have no clue if he plans to stay with the school or jump ship to a power 6 or NBA team. At this point, I'd guess that Brad Stevens is staying with Butler for a while.
My thoughts as well. I hope we can get a known name just to create some buzz around the team, but Teague could go for a shot in the dark like he did with Shaka. We'll just have to wait and see, albeit this success better come within 3 years before I graduate, haha.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #59
mnvikingstwins

Quote:
My thoughts as well. I hope we can get a known name just to create some buzz around the team, but Teague could go for a shot in the dark like he did with Shaka. We'll just have to wait and see, albeit this success better come within 3 years before I graduate, haha.
Whoever we get, they better have a good halfcourt offense. We had nothing going almost all season, only could do things from transition offense or threes, but even those didn't work.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #60
shadetre

Rumor has it--Tubby went hard after Wally to get Henry. I saw Henry play 4 times this year and saw UW Assistant Greg Gard at every game. Henry is a perfect fit for Bo--whether he goes there.....I couldnt say. Marquette will be a factor as some point too (Dad attend both Marquette and UW) along with G' Town.

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #61
razorsharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
Minnesota is the worst program in the Big 10 year in and year out...

Well its either Northwestern or Minnesota.

Iowa I believe is above them both..
lol, completely clueless.

I can't even remember the last time Minnesota finished last in the B1G in hoops? Please refresh my memory.

It's easily a better job in hoops than Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State and Iowa.
razorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #62
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
Tubby is a solid coach and the Gophers have to be realistic about who they will find to replace him. Won't be any of the big names I am willing to bet.
Exactly. Why would guys like Stevens or Smart want to go there?

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #63
UK_Wildcat

I feel so bad for Tubby. The guy really is a class act, always dismissed from programs because he "can't win the big one". People overlook the fact that he really is a good person who injects his own time and money into programs to benefit underprivileged kids, poverty stricken youth & adults, etc. Someone will hire him and who ever does will get one hell of a coach & a person !
Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #64
groundsupport
Banned

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Even heard it on Mike and Mike this morning.

Minnesota won't land anyone better then Tubby Smith and they made a huge mistake. They were saying since when does a clean program, high graduation rates, and good grades weigh less then wins...

They said Northwestern has a better shot at Shaka just because of the Chicago area, and his wife is an Alumni...
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #65
shaner1

Gophers fan here, and I agree with the firing of Tubby. No direction. No player improvement. Tubby is a coach resting on his laurels.

I'm sure Teague has Shaka first in mind, and he'll probably give him an offer he can't refuse. Where there is smoke, there is fire...and there are simply too many rumors of Shaka floating around for there to be no substance to it.

Mike and Mike..."UFF DA"
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #66
byronscott4ever

Williams Arena reminds me of the Metrodome--when the team is winning, there's not a peep about it and when the team is having problems, it's the building's fault in some way. I don't recall Tubby recruiting anyone to MN. And despite Sid Hartman bringing up the recruiting piece twice in yesterday's press conference, I don't think Tubby staying was going to help the U any more. I hope that if any of the big recruits don't come to Minnesota (or even if they do), some media person asks them if Tubby going had any impact on their decision just so people like Sid stop squawking about it.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #67
bdoody42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
Exactly. Why would guys like Stevens or Smart want to go there?
Exactly... Who will they replace him with? Someone better? Probably not.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #68
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
Even heard it on Mike and Mike this morning.

Minnesota won't land anyone better then Tubby Smith and they made a huge mistake. They were saying since when does a clean program, high graduation rates, and good grades weigh less then wins...

They said Northwestern has a better shot at Shaka just because of the Chicago area, and his wife is an Alumni...
Shaka Smart isn't going to Northwestern, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
Exactly... Who will they replace him with? Someone better? Probably not.
Perhaps they do get someone better, but I would doubt it.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #69
groundsupport
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
Shaka Smart isn't going to Northwestern, LOL

Perhaps they do get someone better, but I would doubt it.
I never said he would.

lol

He turned down Illinios last year, why he go to Northwestern or Minnesota?

Northwestern does have the Chicago Area going for them though.. Its all about the $$$$ and I think they won't pay.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #70
nomarkj

The talk around campus today is that it is all but a done deal for Shaka--this is just speculation, though. I do not have any sources to confirm this as it's just probably hopeful students talking. We will see how this plays out. If this is the case, I'm surprised a decision was made so quickly.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #71
JustinVerlander07

Already reports saying Shaka Smart is staying at VCU.

So why did Tubby get fired again?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #72
mnvikingstwins

Shaka signs with Minnesota by the end of the week.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #73
groundsupport
Banned

Quote:
Not a chance.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #74
groundsupport
Banned

Shaka Smart, VCU working on contract extension, according to report - SBNation.com
Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #75
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
You're gonna be really disappointed, then.