Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bb pre order

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
pjray55

Default Last Chance U

For those with Netflix you really should check this out. It is a documentary on the 2015 season for the Eastern Mississippi Community College football team and their quest for a third straight national championship. I believe it came out Friday and I binge watched all 6 Episodes and didn't want it to end.

Anyone else watch it yet?
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
izucantc

I started it last night and I was instantly hooked! And then I couldn't sleep until I finished the whole season. The way they filmed it, captured the rawness of the players and the coach, it was great, really keeps you wanting more. Lots of great talent in those small community colleges in those rural areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
izucantc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
smackvay

Clint trickett from wvu is quarterbacks coach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
glen87

yea - it was not bad
Old 08-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #5
FlyHighCards

I just finished it. I'm really surprised Ollie and Law didn't get any better offers.
I do Graphic Design Check out @flyhighdesign on ig to see some! Contact me for info on commisions!http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball-singles-buy-sell-trade/963878-selling-baseball-design-commissions.html
Collecting Michael Kopech, Henry Josey, Zach Ertz, and AJ Pollock!
FlyHighCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
smackvay

When you have trouble going to class and your attitude sucks that plays a part.
Ollie is a heck of a ball player I will say that. He made big time plays in every game.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 AM   #7
hairyangryfella

Just finished the series.
As a foreigner, with a COMPLETELY different way of life, I couldn't help but be mad at the players.
Firstly, absolutely zero respect shown when wearing headphones when people are talking to you. What's up with that?
Secondly, why be such IDIOTS regarding classes and school work?? You NEED to attend and you NEED to pass, in order to have any chance at moving up. Why not try? Why be so nonchalant about it all? I feel a little more tough love and a lot more drumming that into them is needed.

But again, my only insight into anything like this is through tv so I'm looking at it from well afar...
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
ronaldo943

Amazing documentary, if you haven't watched it I think you should definitely check it out!
ronaldo943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
pjray55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
Just finished the series.
As a foreigner, with a COMPLETELY different way of life, I couldn't help but be mad at the players.
Firstly, absolutely zero respect shown when wearing headphones when people are talking to you. What's up with that?
Secondly, why be such IDIOTS regarding classes and school work?? You NEED to attend and you NEED to pass, in order to have any chance at moving up. Why not try? Why be so nonchalant about it all? I feel a little more tough love and a lot more drumming that into them is needed.

But again, my only insight into anything like this is through tv so I'm looking at it from well afar...
It all comes down to parenting or lack there of. In Law's situation his dad was in prison and with Ollie his dad killed mom. It's easy to say their lazy because in all likelihood you and certainly I grew up with strong parenting to mold us. How would we have acted if there was no one there to guide us?
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #10
CheeseHead11

Great documentary. Coach seemed like a bum. Zero respect earned from his players.
CheeseHead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
hairyangryfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjray55 View Post
It all comes down to parenting or lack there of. In Law's situation his dad was in prison and with Ollie his dad killed mom. It's easy to say their lazy because in all likelihood you and certainly I grew up with strong parenting to mold us. How would we have acted if there was no one there to guide us?
Well I didn't have a smooth childhood but either way, that excuse is only valid for the first part of my post. You can't blame lack of parenting for not attending classes when you're told that you need to attend and pass in order to progress with football. They just seem stupid (for not trying) in that respect.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #12
Kelper7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
Well I didn't have a smooth childhood but either way, that excuse is only valid for the first part of my post. You can't blame lack of parenting for not attending classes when you're told that you need to attend and pass in order to progress with football. They just seem stupid (for not trying) in that respect.

Part of the problem is that as teenagers they get a free pass through high school so they can continue to be the star of all the sports teams. I know/have known academic advisors at IU and I can relate that things are no different (possibly worse) at major D1 universities. The advisors run their butts off trying to make sure they go to class and turn everything in. The advisors have every syllabus and know everything that is due. They deal with texting reminders and making those unanswered calls day in and day out. The accountability needs to start at a much younger age. It is pretty sad really. Even at the college level many of the coaches give zero f**** as to how the kids get/stay eligible as long as they can play on Saturdays.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #13
CC_123

Just binge watched all of this yesterday and it was great. I was glued 15 minutes into the first episode. I see they renewed it for a Season 2 at EMCC which makes me thrilled. I can't wait
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
hairysasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelper7 View Post
Part of the problem is that as teenagers they get a free pass through high school so they can continue to be the star of all the sports teams. I know/have known academic advisors at IU and I can relate that things are no different (possibly worse) at major D1 universities. The advisors run their butts off trying to make sure they go to class and turn everything in. The advisors have every syllabus and know everything that is due. They deal with texting reminders and making those unanswered calls day in and day out. The accountability needs to start at a much younger age. It is pretty sad really. Even at the college level many of the coaches give zero f**** as to how the kids get/stay eligible as long as they can play on Saturdays.

And that is at IU, a real football factory!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #15
gojacks

I watched it all without stopping except to pop a new bag of popcorn. Great series!
gojacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #16
whodeynation765

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
I think they have a basketball team......
Old 08-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #17
Kelper7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post

We're all aware of IU's football history without needing to be a giant dick about it. I know many of you are incapable of having intelligent conversation about much of anything though. My point is more to the culture of the athletes and the conditioning from a young age that they are all going to be NFL/NBA stars. If a large portion of kids at a tiny JuCo and a historically unsuccessful D1 school think they are future pros and don't want to go to class, how hard must it be to try and keep things academically honest at Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc?

Old 08-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #18
hairysasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelper7 View Post
We're all aware of IU's football history without needing to be a giant dick about it. I know many of you are incapable of having intelligent conversation about much of anything though. My point is more to the culture of the athletes and the conditioning from a young age that they are all going to be NFL/NBA stars. If a large portion of kids at a tiny JuCo and a historically unsuccessful D1 school think they are future pros and don't want to go to class, how hard must it be to try and keep things academically honest at Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc?

Fair enough. Try to be a little less thin - skinned, though. Was really only joshing. I understand the general issue better than you could possibly know.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #19
gojacks

For those of you that watched the show, more to the story about DJ Law... In a mass confusion, he signed with three schools on National Signing Day after his senior year of high school- EMCC, Ole Miss, and Utah. After the smoke from that day settled, he ended up at EMCC. After his time at EMCC he signed with UAB in February, and he wasn't with the Blazers to start fall practice because he still had grades to make up. Will be interesting to see if he can pull through.
gojacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:30 AM   #20
hairyangryfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojacks View Post
For those of you that watched the show, more to the story about DJ Law... In a mass confusion, he signed with three schools on National Signing Day after his senior year of high school- EMCC, Ole Miss, and Utah. After the smoke from that day settled, he ended up at EMCC. After his time at EMCC he signed with UAB in February, and he wasn't with the Blazers to start fall practice because he still had grades to make up. Will be interesting to see if he can pull through.
Aren't they without a football program this year too?
Old 08-23-2016, 05:36 AM   #21
GoClips!

Dang, I just finished it and really liked it. I agree that I'm not a fan of the coach at all. I think the players had every right to not respect him. Respect is earned, and not given(cliche, but accurate). Championships on the backs of talent doesn't earn anything, to me. I appreciate that he was willing to give troubled kids a chance, but it's hard to see it as anything but a way to vault himself.

That said, I'm very excited to see Isiah Wright in Season 2!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #22
Copeskey45

Arrow

My fiancé and I are planning on going to their "fan day" tomorrow (the 24th).
Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #23
sigmachi

I've stopped in Scooba a few times on the way to the beach and I'm amazed there is a college there. The town might have 500-600 people in it. These JUCOS are chocked full of talent, especially the ones in Mississippi. I'm an alumni and long-time fan of the Arkansas State RedWolves and we have a couple players from EMCC and have always recruited the Mississippi and Kansas Jucos pretty hard. I've never heard of this series before, I'll have to check it out.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #24
Clarka3

my one HUGE gripe with the cinematography was the title cards they put on the screen for people. They always chose a white font, and somehow always put that white font against a white background so it was extra hard to read.

I also found it extremely interesting how the JUCO rankings are done. You really cannot argue with the coach running the score up, because those point totals count. Especially when they had a loss to recover from.

It's unfortunate that the narrative we were fed (I heard about the fight through ESPN) was all "why is this guy being a dick, calling time outs before half while up 40 points?" It's because they needed them for the ranking to get into the dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighCards View Post
I just finished it. I'm really surprised Ollie and Law didn't get any better offers.

In Ollie's case, he missed 3 games due to the "concussion". Law, i'm sure the injury to his knee didn't help. And, both of them were academic problems.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #25
BlueReloaded

I interested to learn that Seahawks rookie Jarran Reed is a graduate from EMCC (called out in the first episode). Gives me even more of a reason to root for this kid.
BlueReloaded is offline   Reply With Quote