Blowout Cards Forums
Hot List

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #151
justice41
Banned

This card hurts my eyes. Too bad it looks like a decent concept.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #152
Ronin

I'm looking at ending soonest on ebay for marvel greatest battles sketch, and look at those prices.. o.O

That sketch above is fking comical.. rofl
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #153
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Looks like things may be getting worse for you based on the listings that have gone up tonight
hehe... a bunch went up but nothing that is really in the running - except I might be able to pick them up at auction for a nice price. Some fun cards I saw added yesterday...

Are Spider-Man & Carnage teaming up? Craziness!!!

Which one of these guys is floating upside-down?
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #154
justice41
Banned

Thats a 69.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #155
monkeymcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Thats a 69.
Actually, more like a 96
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #156
Deathgate

Quote:
This card hurts my eyes. Too bad it looks like a decent concept.
Looks like Tony Stark would do well in the UFC. From this picture, you can see that he keeps on fighting, despite the horribly dislocated elbow!

ePack Id: goatcollector2012 - always looking to trade for Kitty Pryde, Black Cat or Rachel Summers cards - digital, base, inserts and sketches wanted
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #157
justice41
Banned

Sadly I bet this was an attempt to keep each card a separate card.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #158
Rian Fike

Whether it is the homogeny of the styles, or the two card two character thing, or simply the sex appeal of the females, I predict that the next two Rittenhouse sets will do much better than MGB. Looking forward to the ladies, for sure.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #159
Rian Fike

Just a heads up...

Marvel Masters just put all his MGB cards on sale at 20% off on eBay.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #160
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
Just a heads up...

The smart thing to do, but what a dick move. Other dealers are trying to make their money back too.

Sure the prices are high considering the quality, and that's partly Rittenhouse's fault, but why put them on sale so soon?

Marvel Masters didn't put any of the big name sketches from Bronze Age up for sale like this, until at least a couple months after the release.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #161
Skaughtt0

Send a message via ICQ to Skaughtt0 Send a message via AIM to Skaughtt0

Quote:
Just a heads up...

Good reason to look at them all over again.
Skaughtt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #162
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The smart thing to do, but what a dick move. Other dealers are trying to make their money back too.

Sure the prices are high considering the quality, and that's partly Rittenhouse's fault, but why put them on sale so soon?

Marvel Masters didn't put any of the big name sketches from Bronze Age up for sale like this, until at least a couple months after the release.
A lot of the other dealers are underpricing him. Fact of the matter is that they wait to see his prices and then list their slightly less to undercut him. I think it is a genius move on his part.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #163
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Whether it is the homogeny of the styles, or the two card two character thing, or simply the sex appeal of the females, I predict that the next two Rittenhouse sets will do much better than MGB. Looking forward to the ladies, for sure.
The ladies always command a premium. I know they are doing a WoM 2. What is the other set?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #164
justice41
Banned

Never you Mind Spidey.
There's one guy on there selling his cards through auctions and man he's just giving his cards away. Think he's called Cardbud or K&J.

Last edited by justice41; 04-22-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #165
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Never you Mind Spidey.
There's one guy on there selling his cards through auctions and man he's just giving his cards away. Think he's called Cardbud or K&J.
Yes well that is the way he does it. Everybody is savvy to it. The good cards still pull a fine price - incorrectly spelled artist names and everything. I pay close attention to his auctions - but there is nothing of his on my watch list currently
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #166
Rian Fike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The ladies always command a premium. I know they are doing a WoM 2. What is the other set?
Now that I think about it, it must be the Crypotzoic DC Women set I had in mind. I forget what it is called.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #167
Ronin

Quote:
A lot of the other dealers are underpricing him. Fact of the matter is that they wait to see his prices and then list their slightly less to undercut him. I think it is a genius move on his part.
Right, he usually is more expensive than the next, but he offers "best offer" which is nice. I don't normally see other professional dealers undercutting him by much. It's the people who undercut him by quite a bit who are instigating this type of reaction, and it won't end here. People are impatient and clueless. This behaviour hurts everyone. Even for the buyers who think they got a good sketch for cheap, hoping to flip it for a profit. Well in this market, good luck.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #168
ashelton

Quote:
Now that I think about it, it must be the Crypotzoic DC Women set I had in mind. I forget what it is called.
Women of Legend.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #169
Rian Fike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
Women of Legend.
Thanks! I am excited about that one, the Superman set is looking better than Batman which was better than the New 52. Steady progress, much more variety of styles than MGB.

Good times.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #170
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Right, he usually is more expensive than the next, but he offers "best offer" which is nice. I don't normally see other professional dealers undercutting him by much. It's the people who undercut him by quite a bit who are instigating this type of reaction, and it won't end here. People are impatient and clueless. This behaviour hurts everyone. Even for the buyers who think they got a good sketch for cheap, hoping to flip it for a profit. Well in this market, good luck.
Its kind of irrelevant if he put it on sale for 20% off or not. All of his regular customers know that he will usually take a best offer of 25% off the list price. Additionally, the sale price doesn't seem to influence the best offer price he will accept (i.e., he doesn't take a lower BO just because the product is on sale). All putting the cards on sale does is bring in new business that otherwise may have gone to a different dealer. "Why buy that guy's $65 Bulda when you can get my $75 Bulda for just $60 without even trying to negotiate through Best Offer?"
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #171
Ronin

Quote:
Its kind of irrelevant if he put it on sale for 20% off or not. All of his regular customers know that he will usually take a best offer of 25% off the list price. Additionally, the sale price doesn't seem to influence the best offer price he will accept (i.e., he doesn't take a lower BO just because the product is on sale). All putting the cards on sale does is bring in new business that otherwise may have gone to a different dealer. "Why buy that guy's $65 Bulda when you can get my $75 Bulda for just $60 without even trying to negotiate through Best Offer?"
I've bought many cards off him and he's accepted offers that were more than 25% off. But I've also offered $200 for cards he had up for $450, he declined. now they are up for $130. One thing is certain, he will always lower prices unlike some people who feel certain artist/cards should stay at a certain price.

Yes I know what lowering the price does. I'm saying he would not have put them on sale so soon if others weren't undercutting him so much. Give it a week and people will be undercutting him.

Unlike casual sellers who want to get a certain price for their cards, and will continue to list them at the same price for months, buisinesses like Marvel Masters will drop prices, then drop them again. whatever it takes to move product. He knows that people like him have serious influence over the market and worth of these cards. He is a decider.

Part of his strategy is listing a huge amount of cards, many at inflated prices. Then he puts them on sale, so people are more inclinded to feel they are getting a deal. I realize he probably doesn't do this for everyone, but on a multiple occasions he has accepted my best offer even after just putting the item on sale.

It's like if a pawn shop and wal-mart had offspring. Their offspring would be Marvel Masters.

Last edited by Ronin; 04-22-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: ಠ_ಠ
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #172
Spider-Fan

Quote:
I've boughten many cards off him and he's taken more than 25% off some of them. But i've also offered $200 for cards he had up for $450, he declined. now they are up for $130. One thing is certain, he will always lower prices unlike some people who feel certain artist/cards should stay at a certain price.

Yes I know what lowering the price does. I'm saying he would not have put them on sale for that so soon if others weren't undercutting him so much. Give it a week and people will be undercutting him now. Again, yes I do believe and know from personal experience that he will accept a lower BO, even when the item is on sale.
I'm not sure if you are still calling him a dick or if you are now defending him.

He is a business man. An unsold card gets him $0 return on his investment, regardless of how much it is worth. I wonder when I see cards that are several years old still listed at a very high price. Most cards depreciate in value over time. Only a select few cards will pull an equal or higher price than they did a couple of years ago (like NAR for example). You see it every day when people sell off their old collections and are probably making about 1/3 or worse of what they spent.

MGB is the first set that has had worse quality of cards than the previous set. Usually, quality improves a little bit with each set. MBA had extraordinary quality sketch cards in general, and yet due to the market flooding probably had the worst return on investment of any set. Marv_Masters only had a small handful, maybe a few dozen, 2012 Greatest Heroes sketches still available when MBA hit. When MGB hit he still had HUNDREDS of MBA cards available. I don't think that is the position he wants to be in when the next set hits.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #173
Ronin

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are still calling him a dick or if you are now defending him.
I was never calling him a dick. Neither am I defending him.

He's a business man.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #174
monkeymcgee

After getting my 2 in I don't think I'll be picking up any others. The card stock seems really cheap and the way mine were cut there's some flaws on the inner edges of the puzzle which is going to bug me now 0_o
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #175
justice41
Banned

I never saw the point of cutting the cards in half, cut them down, yes, in half, no. Cutting into original art is always a no no no matter the product. I did warn the guy at RA that doing so would cause problems..... no one listens to me.