prizim banner

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #26
jrosales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
Not only that but I commissioned him for a totally different project too, the cover of my book. It got REAL ugly. I paid and was promised it to be done by a certain time. It wasnt. Was told at least 10 times I promise by next week. This went on for MONTHS. It held up the entire publishing process. I finally exploded on facebook for the world to see in a scathing multi-page rant. Only then did he apologize profusely and finally did the cover.
It ended up coming out great, but if would be difficult for me to recommend him for commissions. Its a shame too because his work is amazing.
Good for you!

Always open to discussing sketch card commissions. Please PM me for my availability.
jrosales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:40 AM   #27
jjsmallvillelvr

I'd suggest to never pay upfront for 3 cards. I'll usually do half unless I've worked with them before. Because I know artists get screwed by people not paying, but collectors get screwed about as often. If you have to pay full upfront, I'd definitely only pay for 1 card at a time. Right now it's easier to do new stuff that he can make more money on. He already has your money, so there's really no incentive to do it in a timely manner. This applies to paying anyone for any job.
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #28
Jakecg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmallvillelvr View Post
I'd suggest to never pay upfront for 3 cards. I'll usually do half unless I've worked with them before. Because I know artists get screwed by people not paying, but collectors get screwed about as often. If you have to pay full upfront, I'd definitely only pay for 1 card at a time. Right now it's easier to do new stuff that he can make more money on. He already has your money, so there's really no incentive to do it in a timely manner. This applies to paying anyone for any job.
You are 100% correct. I paid up front in full last February 2017 for a large commission and sketch cards last from an artist who has great reviews on here, but I made the mistake of saying "no rush, they are Christmas Gifts." I think I was promised that it would be done by no later than July, then September, then November, then by Christmas. I got the painted artwork ~3 days before Christmas (thank goodness because it was my only gift for my wife) and the sketch cards didn't arrive until this month. I learned my lesson on that one. If you need something actually done by a certain date, and you have to pay in full up front, tell the artist you need it 6 months before that date, so you make sure you have it. Otherwise, try very hard to only pay half up front so they have an incentive to do their job in a timely fashion.

On a positive note, the artist I have had by far the best experience with is Rich Hennemann. Extremely nice person that gets high quality, reasonably priced work, completed very quickly. I would recommend him to anyone. Great Black Friday deals too.
Jakecg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #29
RHendricksonArt

I only take on commissions when I can do them in a timely fashion, I also give the option to pay half up front and the other half on completion when I am about to begin it. I see too many horror stories of people waiting years for a commission.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #30
webjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Wow, it really is. I wasn't aware of "round two" but found it addressed here about halfway down: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...c-relationship
Thanks for posting -- I had no idea De Liz worked on Wonder Woman. I was always a fan of her art -- kind of ironically one of my favorite sketch cards is a Wonder Woman she did for DC Legacy.
webjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #31
hcteks

Responding to original post: I tried contacting Mike Glover artist multiple times asking for status and did not receive any response at all. I patiently waited and gave up after 4 months and had to file a claim with paypal and got my money back. Collectors, please beware of this artist.
hcteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #32
coalregion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
You and me both! I funded two of her Kickstarters years ago and nada.
I did the Jamsauce Kickstarter 5+ yrs ago...still nothing so probably out all that money. Last contact last year was they were being sent out with or without approval as all were done and ready to go.
coalregion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #33
triplefrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalregion View Post
I did the Jamsauce Kickstarter 5+ yrs ago...still nothing so probably out all that money. Last contact last year was they were being sent out with or without approval as all were done and ready to go.
Last time I contacted her a year ago she said she was waiting on approvals . At least your post has reminded me to contact her again.
triplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #34
glorbgorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplefrog View Post
Last time I contacted her a year ago she said she was waiting on approvals . At least your post has reminded me to contact her again.
If we're talking about the same artist (I vaguely remember the Jamsauce title), I also supported one of her Kickstarters and ended up asking for my money back. The excuses went on for months and I had enough of it. It went from having the books ready to ship on her desk with mailing labels to 'ok, I'm going to the PO next week' to other extensions. One of the main contributors to getting out of sketchcards...
glorbgorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #35
triplefrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorbgorb View Post
If we're talking about the same artist (I vaguely remember the Jamsauce title), I also supported one of her Kickstarters and ended up asking for my money back. The excuses went on for months and I had enough of it. It went from having the books ready to ship on her desk with mailing labels to 'ok, I'm going to the PO next week' to other extensions. One of the main contributors to getting out of sketchcards...
I just e-mailed her and got a response within 10 minutes . She said that "all rewards were done and approved" and " Axe and I are in the process of formatting the books to take them to print " .
triplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #36
jjsmallvillelvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplefrog View Post
I commissioned her like 3 years ago, maybe more. She led me to believe it would take a couple weeks. After messaging for updates every few weeks for like 8 months, she just refunded my money because I was too annoying and impatient. Sorry bruh, I'm not a bank, and I don't do loans. If I haven't paid yet, or know there is actual progress I don't check in much. But when they have my money month after month with excuses, of course I'm going to keep checking in.
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote