Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
mcsd121

Send a message via AIM to mcsd121
Default 14 national treasures worthless?

Just opened a box, very exciting I must say to open up an expensive product, and I thought I did well till I checked eBay and saw that I didn't do that well. I got some of the bigger name auto's like Abreu and Bogarts and a very cool Baez button numbered to 6 and I'd be lucky to get 150 for everything in the box. I'll post a pic up of everything but I was wondering why NT singles sell so low? I mean I thought the Abreu numbered to 25 was a 3-400 card and it looks like maybe a 45 dollar card. Very disappointed
mcsd121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
hairysasquatch

Welcome to the world of unlicensed products. My condolences for your loss.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
mcsd121

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Welcome to the world of unlicensed products. My condolences for your loss.
Lol thanks, next time I'll do some research before spending 400+ on a 9 card pack. I do like the cards and I know I'm not going to make any money but man what a kick to the nuts to find out that my Abreu numbered to 25 is almost worthless.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Natitude

Only things worth a decent amount from unlicensed products I find are really nice patches, team logos, etc. They almost take the place of the no logo in the picture.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
texmcpherson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natitude View Post
Only things worth a decent amount from unlicensed products I find are really nice patches, team logos, etc. They almost take the place of the no logo in the picture.
This. X's 100.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
cardsharkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsd121 View Post
Lol thanks, next time I'll do some research before spending 400+ on a 9 card pack. I do like the cards and I know I'm not going to make any money but man what a kick to the nuts to find out that my Abreu numbered to 25 is almost worthless.
One sold for $102 a few days ago... so not compeltely worthless on Abreu... but definetly dissapointing... Ive thought the same thing as i buy singles and am shocked some of the SICK singles u can get for cheap prices... esp from a "high end" product like this...
cardsharkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
sigmachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsharkk View Post
One sold for $102 a few days ago... so not compeltely worthless on Abreu... but definetly dissapointing... Ive thought the same thing as i buy singles and am shocked some of the SICK singles u can get for cheap prices... esp from a "high end" product like this...
this is interesting. 2012 NT baseball is regarded as one of the greatest baseball sets ever made by a lot of people, despite being unlicensed. Boxes did nothing but go up and the secondary market just ate up anything and everything you could find to sell from that set. I didn't open any 14 NT so what makes it different?
Old 04-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
xbignick

Need to hit a really nice patch and unload it quick in case there's any unfortunate news about its origin, sadly.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
mcsd121

Definitely my first and last box. I've bought 3 cases of 14 bowman chrome and have 1 Bryant and no Abreu to show for it. I had given up on wax for a while but got the itch a few weeks ago, next time I'll takemsome Benadryl for the itch, much easier on the wallet
Old 04-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
mcsd121

Here's the whole pack. Sad thing is this is probably a good pack
Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #11
mcgoo2

2014 NT was my favorite product of the year... The reality is that this is a pretty standard break for a high end product; licensed or not. It also doesn't help that Bryant has really overshadowed the Abreu and Baez hype.

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151462415@N06/albums
mcgoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
mcsd121

Abreu has a horrible sig lol, when I only saw the auto I thought it said Mattingly lol. I'll hold on to all this like I hold on to everything. If something jumps significantly I'll try to sell but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
nera20

Panini stuff is just going to keep dropping more and more if they keep having the issues they are having with fake items and holding back items,
Old 04-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
death2redemptions
Banned

Worthless implies there is $0 in resale value. Surely you could get $150-$200 back from this break which means it is far from worthless.
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
mcsd121

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
Worthless implies there is $0 in resale value. Surely you could get $150-$200 back from this break which means it is far from worthless.
I'd rather have my 400 bucks back. For such a high end product I expected the singles of high end players like Abreu to sell for more than 100 bucks. Excuse my wording, almost worthless.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #16
FuriousD82

Quote:
I'd rather have my 400 bucks back. For such a high end product I expected the singles of high end players like Abreu to sell for more than 100 bucks. Excuse my wording, almost worthless.
You are kidding OP, right?

Guess you wouldn't be happy unless your pack had bat knob or barrel. Did you not check out any box breaks before spending your $400? Even if you got $150 back, that's 30% ROI and not awful, considering the product.

Now, my response would be totally different if the bat knobs and barrels were never actually packed out in the product...
Old 04-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #17
death2redemptions
Banned

Quote:
I'd rather have my money back from 95% of my breaks as well & I've had many breaks where the ROI was worse than the 35-45% that you'll get from this break.

My suggestion would be to stay away from high-end, as they are the biggest gamble of all. The ROI can be as low as 5-10% sometimes.
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #18
ediii33

Quote:
Your avatar is priceless. I wonder how many members actually know who that is.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #19
GoBeavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousD82 View Post
You are kidding OP, right?

Guess you wouldn't be happy unless your pack had bat knob or barrel. Did you not check out any box breaks before spending your $400? Even if you got $150 back, that's 30% ROI and not awful, considering the product.

Now, my response would be totally different if the bat knobs and barrels were never actually packed out in the product...
Pretty sure the OP isn't complaining about the break. He hit autos of 3 of the top rookies; plus a button card of one of the hottest prospects. It was most definitely a better-than-average break. If I bought a box that had as many big hits as his did, I'd surely expect value to be more than my box price as well. The actual value of the product is what the complaint is about.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #20
rj.cataldo

If you want to talk worthless products, just try a box of Panini Classics baseball. I was eager to open a box of baseball yesterday and I went to my LCS. I overpaid BIG TIME for the box (which I saw after the fact) and as I feared when buying, I got hosed. That has to be the worst product I've ever opened. I have come to the conclusion I will never open any Panini baseball products again (and quite honestly a majority of their other sports save for a few).
rj.cataldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #21
Crazybella8

Quote:
I'd rather have my money back from 95% of my breaks as well & I've had many breaks where the ROI was worse than the 35-45% that you'll get from this break.

My suggestion would be to stay away from high-end, as they are the biggest gamble of all. The ROI can be as low as 5-10% sometimes.
Were you playing twister too?
Crazybella8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #22
BoxBreaker72

That's actually a really solid box hit wise.

Agree that they don't sell like they should. The market is just super flooded.
BoxBreaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #23
Andrew Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Pretty sure the OP isn't complaining about the break. He hit autos of 3 of the top rookies; plus a button card of one of the hottest prospects. It was most definitely a better-than-average break. If I bought a box that had as many big hits as his did, I'd surely expect value to be more than my box price as well. The actual value of the product is what the complaint is about.
I only see a Baez button. The button of one of the hottest prospects must have been excluded from the scan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybella8 View Post
Were you playing twister too?
Dude, that's d2r's mom. Gross. Just gross.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #24
mcsd121

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Thank you, glad someone understands. When you pull an Abreu rookie card numbered to 25 you expect it to bring in more than 100 bucks especially when the box consisted of 9 cards and cost 450 bucks or whatever it was. I was very happy with the cards I got, thought I did well. If it was bowman I'd be running to the bank with an Abreu refractor numbered to 25 and a Bogart auto.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #25
Bob Loblaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediii33 View Post
Your avatar is priceless. I wonder how many members actually know who that is.
The MILF of the century.