Blowout Cards Forums
2018 tops chrome

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #26
hreed2

I agree with everybody else, it completely depends on the player. I've got TONS of in person autographs at signings and the vast majority were great or no problem kind of guys. You definitely remember the bad signings though. By far my worst experience was getting Gale Sayers to sign a helmet for me, when I said hello and asked him how it was going he just mean mugged me and didn't reply. He was bragging to somebody that he was with about how he does signings like this all the time and he's so good at it and knows what he's doing. He then grabbed a light gray sharpie to sign my helmet and you can barely see his signature.
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #27
rj.cataldo

I've collected autographs for years, and have gone to hundreds of signings. I have had varied experiences. Some are quiet, some are just rude, and some are very friendly. I find that the older HOFers USUALLY are better, and especially some of the less popular ones tend to be more eager to share their stories as they don't (and quite frankly never did) received the attention of current day players.

Amongst my worst signings were Lance Briggs. He was a d-bag.

Amongst my best were Peyton Manning, and probably the best was Joe Namath. I was amongst the last people to get an autograph, and he spoke with us for 2-3 minutes, and even let us try on his superbowl ring! He was truly a nice guy, and worth the money to meet.
rj.cataldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #28
DalliLlama11

Probably a bad day/rare occurrence. I got Jamaal Charles about a month ago and he was cool. There were like 5 people in line but he was super nice, posed for pictures, chatted a little bit. It does however seem like some people here said Tate has been rude on other instances, but who knows. Maybe he didn't want to spend a Saturday signing for 1 person, to him its not worth it at that price and I can understand. He would probably think after his recent season he'd be more popular, especially locally and to basically miss out on part of his weekend for 1 autograph sucks. To us, he should be willing to drop everything for us fans and such because does he really need the money, he could spend more time with that person. But to him it is probably more of "I could have had plans with family, friends etc and instead I am going to make $40.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #29
coclarkson
Banned

you payed for an autograph and that's what you got. if you want a convo, buy him dinner
coclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #30
ediii33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coclarkson View Post
you payed for an autograph and that's what you got. if you want a convo, buy him dinner

Worst comment ever.

Anyways I have noticed from going to the Senior Bowl every year that guys wearing the golden dome have never been real friendly.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #31
coclarkson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediii33 View Post
Worst comment ever.

some people go to these sports or celeb signings expecting to leave with the person's email address and phone number. you're there for an autograph, that's it. some people are friendlier than others, just take it and don't complain
coclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #32
jeg2315

We've done a ton of signings over the last couple of years, and we've been fortunate enough to not have any sort of diva or rude athlete come in. All of the guys have been pretty humble and receptive to meeting the fans, even if some of them were simply quiet.

I think athletes understand that signings are part of the deal for them, and most guys are cool about being fan-friendly.

The problem is that a lot of autograph companies and shops - the smaller and/or local companies especially - are not as professional as they should be. Athletes probably become disenchanted and jaded with the process (to a degree) if they have encountered such a business.

I've heard horror stories from players where they received envelopes that supposedly had their checks, only to get home and find it was empty. Players who were promised one amount but paid another because the company didn't have enough money. Etc etc.

The point is that a lot of what goes on behind the scenes may also influence how athletes behave during signings.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #33
ediii33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coclarkson View Post
some people go to these sports or celeb signings expecting to leave with the person's email address and phone number. you're there for an autograph, that's it. some people are friendlier than others, just take it and don't complain
He was getting paid to be there. The least he could have done was look up and speak. Now if they are out in town and dont want to be bothered, that would be different.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #34
ediii33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg2315 View Post
We've done a ton of signings over the last couple of years, and we've been fortunate enough to not have any sort of diva or rude athlete come in. All of the guys have been pretty humble and receptive to meeting the fans, even if some of them were simply quiet.

I think athletes understand that signings are part of the deal for them, and most guys are cool about being fan-friendly.

The problem is that a lot of autograph companies and shops - the smaller and/or local companies especially - are not as professional as they should be. Athletes probably become disenchanted and jaded with the process (to a degree) if they have encountered such a business.

I've heard horror stories from players where they received envelopes that supposedly had their checks, only to get home and find it was empty. Players who were promised one amount but paid another because the company didn't have enough money. Etc etc.

The point is that a lot of what goes on behind the scenes may also influence how athletes behave during signings.

Making themselves look bad is not the way to handle it. Even if that is the case should they really blame it on the fans for being shorted a few bucks?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #35
SDcardguy24

He should have just made it a private signing then
SDcardguy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #36
jeg2315

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediii33 View Post
Making themselves look bad is not the way to handle it. Even if that is the case should they really blame it on the fans for being shorted a few bucks?
I'm not condoning their rudeness or anything, I'm simply saying it may not always be that the athletes themselves are bad people. Majority of the fault could be with the company in many cases, because their name and reputation are attached to the signing as well.

Again though, I'm not saying it's okay for athletes to be rude or anything during signings. Just pointing out other reasons for why they may act like that.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #37
jdin8455

Not everyone is like this. I know he's a scrub, but Billy Cundiff (former Ravens kicker) was very personable. That's the only player I've ever had sign in person.

My wife goes to horror conventions to meet actors and get autographs, and it's the same way. Some actors chat with you and are very friendly, and some suck.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:42 PM   #38
cbus07

*Update*

Not meaning to revive this thread to life even though a couple responses will be made. After that awful experience with Tate, it really got me away from the hobby for a couple months. Recently there was a breakfast/speaking event with Joe Gibbs I was fortunate enough to go to. He was awesome, friendly, delivered a great message, signed an autograph afterwards and let everybody try on his 1991 Super Bowl Ring and take a picture. He went above and beyond, and it even though unrelated, helped me get back into the hobby again. I will be parting with my Golden Tate PC as that doesn't provide me any joy any more, but at least seeing first hand that there are better experiences, is a good thing, thanks again for the responses back in April too.
cbus07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:00 AM   #39
DR Murph

My main PC player is Denard Robinson--have been fortunate enough to meet him at a few different signings. He is an absolute class act. Sorry to hear OP that your experience went the way it did.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #40
SportsAutoFreak

Tate didn't talk when I got him at Draft Town either.
SportsAutoFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:37 AM   #41
bbcardsrgreat

Wow !!! As a person that brings players or is part of many signing deals. i have found that many current players are either awesome shaking hands taking pictures (which has been most) with the public. there are even a couple players that go above and beyond requests. On the other hand there are some that are just dicks. I find that most of the time older Hall of Fame players or even just fan favorites are the easiest to work with. There are a couple players that we have done recently and they were absolutely awesome the two current players were Mohamed Sanu and Jeremy Hill they were a blast. Old Hockey players that we did lately that were funny and did pretty much any inscription Brian Propp, Bernie Parent, & Y'von Labre. Some other Hall of famers that are a blast to work with. Willie Roaf, Randy White, Bob Lilly, Lenny Moore (he's getting a little sketchy on inscriptions), Charlie Sanders was awesome (R.I.P), there are many many more. Most players are really cool the problem is some are embarrassed if the public does not show, or if they just signed a huge contract and have the I'm a millionaire what am I doing here. Don't let it turn you off, collecting autographs of your favorite players can be a daunting task to begin with, myself personally I treat the players like just normal guys that just happen to play sports. It can be an exciting experience to meet your favorite guy, and to get that kind of reaction or in this case non-reaction I would of just said it louder until I was acknowledged. Anyway good luck in the future
Old 07-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #42
Angus Con

I don't PC players any longer, but back when I did, I learned the hard way to either meet them a couple of times first or never meet them at all before spending any money on them.
Angus Con is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #43
Skootown

I've never been to one of these but my buddy went to one recently and he's a HUGE Dan Marino fan, has been since he was a kid. He said that while he was waiting in line he saw that when you got up to the table there was a huge dude standing in front of Marino so you couldn't even really see/talk to him. He said that he left the line because he didn't want his image of Dan to be ruined.

I told him I thought that was a really smart move.

I understand these guys do it to make some extra cash, but if you're someone as rich and famous as Dan Marino, and you don't really like meeting fans and all that, then don't do signings.

Also collecting Carson Wentz and Philadelphia Eagles, Penn State Nittany Lions, and Jameis Winston RCs
Skootown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #44
kennyk92

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post
I've had my fair share of great and only a handful of bad. But mostly, in person autograoh sessions have been a blast and very positive.

Some of my favourites:
1. Bart Starr
2. Barry Sanders
3. Jim Kelly
4. Kurt Warner
5. John Stallworth
6. Roger Staubach
7. Darryl Johnston
8. Gary Beban
9. Reggie Bush

Some of my least favourite/Memorable:
1. Troy Aikman--Quiet and moody
2. Deion Sanders--Arrogant and rude
3. Dan Fouts--Grouchy
4. Pete Carroll--Too good for the peasants
joe theismann is on the top for me he was very personable.
kennyk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #45
RW3FAN

Quote:
I've had my fair share of great and only a handful of bad. But mostly, in person autograoh sessions have been a blast and very positive.

Some of my favourites:
1. Bart Starr
2. Barry Sanders
3. Jim Kelly
4. Kurt Warner
5. John Stallworth
6. Roger Staubach
7. Darryl Johnston
8. Gary Beban
9. Reggie Bush

3. Dan Fouts--Grouchy
WoW
Pete was as nice as can be to me when I was touring and watching their private practice.
I know most every "famous" person has an off day. I've heard good and bad about Griffey Jr.
It depends on who you talk to. Think of just how many people they interact with that they don't know.
[IMG][/IMG]
RW3FAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #46
the mesiah

Quote:

Some of my favourites:
1. Bart Starr
2. Barry Sanders
3. Jim Kelly
4. Kurt Warner
5. John Stallworth
6. Roger Staubach
7. Darryl Johnston
8. Gary Beban
9. reggie bush

3. Dan Fouts--Grouchy
I have gotten numerous to sign ,
I got Reggie to sign my helmet rite after he won the Heisman and he wasn't personable at all, didn't bother me , it's a business .
Troy Aikman was real cool , talked bout his hometown and what plans were for upcoming holidays at that time , very nice .
Deion was really cool, said what's up big man , (I'm only 6'4") , talked a few.really cool I thought.
the mesiah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #47
773cards

Cal Ripken was a cool dude. I asked him which pitcher he feared the most and he said the GOOSE.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #48
jhand13

I have never been to a signing in an LCS before but did go to a few QB Challenges in Orlando in the early 90's. The players would sign for almost an hour before the competition started. I remember most of the guys being pretty nice especially Steve Young. Jim Harbough was the worst he was moody and did not want to say anything really and when he did it was usually something rude.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #49
jsnake89

Sorry to hear that man i have gone to several IP signs and all of them went great with the exception of one.

Good experiences
Jay Novacek
Drew Pearson
Randy White x 2
Jim Jeffcoat
Tony Dorsett

Bad
Troy Aikman seemed annoyed he had to sign my football.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #50
dherm360

You cant get any better than should be HOFer Jerry Kramer---pics, stories all around nice guy
dherm360 is online now   Reply With Quote