This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #126
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
...if I feel the need to explain why I offered what I did, I will do so.
I give up.
coachnip13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #127
RichardGasner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
Nobody said 20% off of sticker we said 20% OF sticker that is 80% savings.
Haha, ya, you can leave my showroom!

I was originally responding to the guy who said you can't go places and ask for discounts.

People sometimes aren't reasonable where I work, on eBay or in general. I go with the thought that common sense isn't so common and leave it at that.

If somebody wants to lowball my cards or cars, I thank them for the opportunity and respectfully decline.

The realistic flipside of everything that everybody on this thread is debating, imo, is 'if you don't ask, you don't get'
If somebody has something listed at whichever price, you can offer what you would pay, or offer lower and if the seller accepts it, even better. Like a birdie putt in golf, never leave your putt short. If you do, you never gave yourself the opportunity for it to go in. I'd say it's a pretty similar concept when on the buyer side.

Last edited by RichardGasner; 09-02-2015 at 10:19 AM.
RichardGasner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #128
jewcer2k5

Is it me, or do you feel when a buyer says "this is a fair offer" or a seller says "this is a great deal" your siren starts ringing that the person is trying to rip you off?
jewcer2k5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #129
centereacan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachnip13 View Post
I give up.
I guess there's just a missed conenction thing going on here then. What I feel you're saying is that when I offer, I feel entitled to buy the card at that price and am offended when I don't get my way. That's not the case. All I'm doing is making a reasonable offer and sometimes (when I feel it's necessary) explaining why. That's all, just making an offer.
centereacan06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #130
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewcer2k5 View Post
Is it me, or do you feel when a buyer says "this is a fair offer" or a seller says "this is a great deal" your siren starts ringing that the person is trying to rip you off?
Like when someone puts "WOW!!!" in their listing.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #131
RichardGasner

yea, usually the case
RichardGasner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #132
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
I guess there's just a missed conenction thing going on here then. What I feel you're saying is that when I offer, I feel entitled to buy the card at that price and am offended when I don't get my way. That's not the case. All I'm doing is making a reasonable offer and sometimes (when I feel it's necessary) explaining why. That's all, just making an offer.
As a seller, it's usually the commentary that turns me away when an offer is made. And yours is a perfect example. If I have a BIN at $99, feel free to offer me $50. We just might end up making a deal. But don't tell me what the last few sales were like I'm some kind of rube who doesn't know how to price a card. I don't care. I'm not trying to stay within range of a small sample of sales that you pulled from one site.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #133
kinar

Quote:
As a seller, it's usually the commentary that turns me away when an offer is made. And yours is a perfect example. If I have a BIN at $99, feel free to offer me $50. We just might end up making a deal. But don't tell me what the last few sales were like I'm some kind of rube who doesn't know how to price a card. I don't care. I'm not trying to stay within range of a small sample of sales that you pulled from one site.
The problem with that attitude is that you have to understand that YOU are also a "small sample" when it comes to sellers. There are a VERY large number of sellers who do not maintain their inventory prices and have cards listed at extremely out of date pricing. If something is recently listed, that's a different story entirely but if it has been listed for more than a couple months, sending a polite message shouldn't throw up any red flags.

In theory, if someone has an item listed on ebay, it means they are interested in moving it, not simply advertising that they own it. Of course that's no always the case.
kinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #134
TEAM_OF_RIVALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewcer2k5 View Post
I hate when buyers send offers for .50 cents below my asking price MORE than I hate when buyers send offers of .99 cents for $100 card. Hit the BIN and stop being cheap.

If there are none other cheaper available and you want the card, buy the card. If not don't complain about someone wanting to sell THEIR card for a certain price. You are owed exactly NOTHING as a buyer.

This stinks of entitlement.
This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #135
ridgerider

I must be different since I would view the best offer option as I put a card up for higher than it sells not knowing current value for a period of time and field the different offers coming in. Say I get 9 offers on a $100 BIN/BO and the highest is $60 dollars, after the item has run it's course I would then decide if I am ok with the $60 dollar offer or not sell it at all. This is what I took a BO as before reading this thread and but now realize sellers use it as a negotiating tool and some wear their hearts on their sleeves when fielding offers and others use it as a tool to get the best price they can. Either way if you have best offer then you are asking to deal directly with the public and should not complain about how they interact no matter what they do, just don't use a BO on sales and you won't have that problem. Most people are bottom feeders and a BO is an open door to them.
ridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #136
mfw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
You offer 20% of the sticker I guarantee they are going to do what they can to get you off the lot ASAP because you are wasting their time. Same thing as how sellers on Ebay feels with lowballers.
Bad analogy. Car salesman know what their car is actually worth because there is a lot of sales data, and therefore do not price there cars 50-100% over market value.

Buyers only offer 20% when the BIN is ridiculously overpriced...
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #137
kinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerider View Post
... Either way if you have best offer then you are asking to deal directly with the public and should not complain about how they interact no matter what they do,...
I agree with this 100%. Customer Service is a lost art.
kinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #138
coachnip13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post

Please. Every seller on this board has stories of dumb offers.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #139
mfw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinar View Post
The problem with that attitude is that you have to understand that YOU are also a "small sample" when it comes to sellers. There are a VERY large number of sellers who do not maintain their inventory prices and have cards listed at extremely out of date pricing.
Exactly...it all starts with how accurate/reasonable the BIN price is. And as Kinar pointed out, there are a lot of sellers who list things with ridiculously high BIN's that are way above market value.

Currently, there's a card I want that generally sells around $250. The only one listed on EBay has a BIN of $800. If I make an offer at $200 (25% of BIN) am I making a lowball offer? Discuss...
Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #140
mfw13

Quote:
Please. Every seller on this board has stories of dumb offers.
And every buyer on this board has stories of idiotic sellers...
Old 09-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #141
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Exactly...it all starts with how accurate/reasonable the BIN price is. And as Kinar pointed out, there are a lot of sellers who list things with ridiculously high BIN's that are way above market value.

Currently, there's a card I want that generally sells around $250. The only one listed on EBay has a BIN of $800. If I make an offer at $200 (25% of BIN) am I making a lowball offer? Discuss...
A lot of high end sellers do that because they use eBay as "free marketing". Personally I think its a sham as much as I think people sending or asking for gift payments is but that is what people do. They get someone interested and then they work a deal off of eBay.

You are paying eBay for bringing you a customer you otherwise wouldn't have found and that % is lower than most auction houses. You are paying paypal for protection. I hate when people avoid these to save a few bucks then complain about not being protected :/
Old 09-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #142
shrevecity

Quote:
Bad analogy. Car salesman know what their car is actually worth because there is a lot of sales data, and therefore do not price there cars 50-100% over market value.

Wrong... I get 20% or less on items all the time even when the item is priced BELOW market price, I listed a NES game a few months ago for 149.99 while it was up the price actually was reaching the 175 to 200 range I was still getting offers of less than 20%, I raised it to 169.99 and sold it within 2 days of doing so for that price..

The car lot analogy only came in when someone else brought up car lots.

Last edited by shrevecity; 09-02-2015 at 12:11 PM.
shrevecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #143
GoBeavs

Quote:

Yes. You just stated the card regularly sells for $250. Why would you offer 20% less?

If I receive an offer well below all the previously sold prices, and I don't feel there is potential for a decline in value, I generally ignore or straight decline as the buyer isn't showing genuine interest in the item. They're just looking for a flipping opportunity.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #144
ediii33

The whole % off thing is an eBay gimmick that is not good in the card business. I do not understand why sellers even bother.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #145
mfw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Yes. You just stated the card regularly sells for $250. Why would you offer 20% less?

If I receive an offer well below all the previously sold prices, and I don't feel there is potential for a decline in value, I generally ignore or straight decline as the buyer isn't showing genuine interest in the item. They're just looking for a flipping opportunity.
Do you know anything about negotiation?

You NEVER open with your best offer.

You open with an offer that is below what you are actually willing to pay with the intent of reaching a compromise at your reservation value.

For example, if a BIN is at $100, and I am willing to pay $80, my first offer will be $60. Usually the seller will then come back with a "split the difference offer" of $80, which I then accept. However, had my initial offer been $80, the seller would have countered at $90...
Old 09-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #146
GoBeavs

Quote:

You open with an offer that is below what you are actually willing to pay with the intent of reaching a compromise at your reservation value.

For example, if a BIN is at $100, and I am willing to pay $80, my first offer will be $60. Usually the seller will then come back with a "split the difference offer" of $80, which I then accept. However, had my initial offer been $80, the seller would have countered at $90...
That's the problem. It's called BEST OFFER, not "best starting negotiation point". I used to haggle if the offer is close to what I want. But most times those counters are just ignored. So I now tend to ignore them at the start if doesn't look like a serious offer.

Ridgerider had it pretty spot on with how it's meant to be used. Three people send an offer, take the best one or don't sell it.

Last edited by GoBeavs; 09-02-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: clarification
GoBeavs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #147
shrevecity

Quote:

You are assuming that is what the seller wants. An offer and counter does not have to end up becoming a split the difference offer though. Why shold a sell og to his immediate best price?

Reality is this is how most BO negotiations go on Ebay from my experience. I have and item I listed at 100.00. I am willing to take 75 on it though so I get an offer of 50.00 I counter with 90.00 the buyer counters with 51.00.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #148
jewcer2k5

Quote:

If you offer $60 on a card that I think is worth $80 I will most likely decline your offer without a counter.

If you however offer $80 I'd probably counter with $90 and let you either re-offer $80 or counter a little higher than $80.

Everyone is different and it is very difficult to get a read on someone through their computer. It is possible but it is very difficult.

If someone comes backs at $80 and says "this is the best I can do" I believe them. However I'd expect a counter at $70 if I said $80 and then I am on the weak side of the negotiation. Declining or countering with a slightly lower number than my asking price and seeing if the buyer comes up to a more realistic number keeps me on the strong side.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #149
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
That's the problem. It's called BEST OFFER, not "best starting negotiation point". I used to haggle if the offer is close to what I want. But most times those counters are just ignored. So I now usually just ignore them at the start.

Ridgerider had it pretty spot on with how it's meant to be used. Three people send an offer, take the best one or don't sell it.
Best offer is not always the highest offer either. I have sold items for less even when I had a higher offer on the table.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #150
coachnip13

Quote:
And every buyer on this board has stories of idiotic sellers...
But you said that buyers ONLY offer 20% when the BIN is ridiculous. Only? You want to stand by that?