Blowout Cards Forums
big game 2018

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
ediii33

Default One item that you wish would have been passed down.

I was just talking to a friend about how my dad lost twenty or so Roberto Clemente rookies to Hurricane Camille. Clemente was his favorite player and he traded for everyone he could get. Made me think of a story he told me years ago.

My grandfather was from Detroit and the Army/Air Force brought him to Keesler AFB where he met my grandmother and stayed. His favorite team was the Tigers.

He had a bat in the top of his closest that he told my dad to never play with. My dad was a kid and did not listen. The kids in the neighborhood needed a bat one time and they really wanted to play ball. So he goes and gets the bat he was told not to touch.

By the time my grandfather realized his Ty Cobb autograph bat was gone it already had nails in it (from being put back together) and the auto was pretty much gone. My dad took a beating and I really wish I had that bat today!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
VandyCards

According to my grandparents, there used to be an untaken titanic ticket in the family (steerage class, but still). My great great grandparents were set to take it over here but my great grandmother was born the day or so before it set out so they took a different boat. The ticket was apparently an heirloom for a while, but disappeared 40-50 years ago.

That'd be a cool thing to have. I am occasionally skeptical of this story, however. Family name isn't on any passenger logs, though perhaps they didn't keep as good of records for the steerage class.
I collect cards of former Vanderbilt players across all sports. David Price, Sonny Gray, Pedro Alvarez, Carson Fulmer, Ryan Flaherty, Philip Pfeifer, Tony Kemp, Mike Yastrzemski, Bryan Reynolds, MANY more.......
VandyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
Hess687

My grandmother was known to bury items in the yard in tins, much like a Folgers tin. My guess is it was mainly money and coins, although I can't be sure, as she did this long before I was born (I'm 32). She moved with my grandfather to be closer to our family due to her failing health (and has since passed, along with my grandfather) and the house we vacationed in as kids was sold.

I never found out if there was anything buried in her yard, but it has always intrigued me. My goal is to buy that house once I become financially stable enough to do so. Not just for the memories associated with it, but to finally buy a metal detector and figure out if there's truly anything there.
Hess687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
davidk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess687 View Post
My grandmother was known to bury items in the yard in tins, much like a Folgers tin. My guess is it was mainly money and coins, although I can't be sure, as she did this long before I was born (I'm 32). She moved with my grandfather to be closer to our family due to her failing health (and has since passed, along with my grandfather) and the house we vacationed in as kids was sold.

I never found out if there was anything buried in her yard, but it has always intrigued me. My goal is to buy that house once I become financially stable enough to do so. Not just for the memories associated with it, but to finally buy a metal detector and figure out if there's truly anything there.
sounds like a beginning of a Stephen King's novel. Soon you'll find an evil clown in the house
davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
callou2131

My kid is gonna be pissed when he gets older and I tell him about the game used for langway caps jersey I tore up playing street hockey in.