Blowout Cards Forums
incentives bonus

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #51
Fspook00

So I've been collection now for some time and only surfer cards both his sketches and his set cards. I feel like between this forum and ebay, there are no other way to collect and connect. EPack sounds interesting and scary, but where does that happen?

I want to buy a box, but I'm new to this...where would some one like me buy a box or find people to trade with. I live in north carolina btw if that helps. I feel like ebay can be kinda limiting.

@sketchcardhive | Instagram
Sketch Card Hive | YouTube
Fspook00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #52
Spider-Fan

Finding people to trade with... probably only online unless you live in the city.

I would consider Upperdeck epacks direct competition to Blowout, so I wouldn't dare post a direct link. I'm sure you can find it using any search engine.

Buying a box... you can search online if you have any local card or comic shops. They might carry it or be able to order it for you from thier distributor, otherwise you can buy online.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #53
Carrbeaz

Allocations were severe on this. Just got cut from 48 boxes to 18
Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #54
daviswr7

Yea, I feel like this is going to be an "E-Pack-fest". Physical product/boxes will be very tough to locate.
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #55
BHotz

Great. I smell another +$100 inflation (MP14) then... where we'll have to wait months for the box price to settle down to market price. Guess ePack it probably is.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #56
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Allocations were severe on this. Just got cut from 48 boxes to 18
Yep, that would definitely be considered "extremely allocated".
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #57
Carrbeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
Great. I smell another +$100 inflation (MP14) then... where we'll have to wait months for the box price to settle down to market price. Guess ePack it probably is.
It's not inflation if the market bears it.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #58
daviswr7

There is nothing to go around across the board on this stuff. I work with a few distributors and am getting practically nothing. One dist who I work with WEEKLY could not offer me a single box...but said if some opened up they would let me know.

All signs point to physical hobby boxes increasing a lot on the secondary market.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #59
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post

All signs point to physical hobby boxes increasing a lot on the secondary market.
I think once it sells out through ePack there will be an increase. However, since the components of the 2 products (ePack and hobby) are the same, I don't see any collector paying too much of a premium on hobby boxes if they can simply buy on ePack for msrp (until it sells out on ePack at least).
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #60
daviswr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
I think once it sells out through ePack there will be an increase. However, since the components of the 2 products (ePack and hobby) are the same, I don't see any collector paying too much of a premium on hobby boxes if they can simply buy on ePack for msrp (until it sells out on ePack at least).
Perhaps then a majority of this will be EPack and a small percentage will be physical? Other then that reason I am really not understanding why 3 of the main distributors is the US are so strapped for this product?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #61
Sharard

Well found one site pre selling at 289 a box. Who knows that might be cheap after a few weeks after release. Seems thier supply not bad. Tried here at blowout and was told they were not pre selling at this time. Mean there seems to be decent chance not to lose to much. If the quality of the sketches are as high as it seems and you get 2 . Not un reasonable thinking getting 150-200 for both sketches at low end. And only 125 base sets, I can see most singles 10-20 range for lower end and 25 plus for the wolverines and Spider-Man's type of the set. Inserts will be interesting to see in hand. Just know I've opened much worst were the price of a box was not even close to what you payed if hit bad.

And e pack is usually at least a few months after release.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #62
Angus Con

MM Jusko was a lot like this in the beginning right? It was incredibly difficult to locate physical boxes of and then after a month or so, a big chunk of it showed up on ePacks. Not saying this is what is happening, but I am saying that UD has used ePack and poor communication to create false scarcity before.

I always assume that to be the case personally given UD's track record with this sort of thing since ePack added entertainment cards to it.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #63
Sharard

Ok, please don't laugh to hard at my math but I come with about 870 cases 190 sets in all 10450 base cards... Says 2 base per box, 10450 base cards / 12 base per case.

870~ single panel sketches and 870~ different sizes sketches.

Probably my last attempt at math but gave it a shot.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #64
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
Well found one site pre selling at 289 a box. Who knows that might be cheap after a few weeks after release. Seems thier supply not bad. Tried here at blowout and was told they were not pre selling at this time. Mean there seems to be decent chance not to lose to much. If the quality of the sketches are as high as it seems and you get 2 . Not un reasonable thinking getting 150-200 for both sketches at low end. And only 125 base sets, I can see most singles 10-20 range for lower end and 25 plus for the wolverines and Spider-Man's type of the set. Inserts will be interesting to see in hand. Just know I've opened much worst were the price of a box was not even close to what you payed if hit bad.

And e pack is usually at least a few months after release.
Those are some rose colored glasses. I think the low end is much less than $150-200... more like $50-100.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #65
Sharard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Those are some rose colored glasses. I think the low end is much less than $150-200... more like $50-100.

Ya I have to agree after looking at sales.. I stand corrected. Teach me to write stuff when tired.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #66
Brobocop

2012 MP was a fun product at $200. I remember doing a case of it on release day and had a ton of fun breaking it. That being said, I also remember not getting a whole lot for the items I did sell (about 50%). Maybe this'll be different now that it's an established brand, but anything north of $200 sounds like a guaranteed loss. I'll probably wait for ePack.

Which brings me to my next point. Any reason why UD wouldn't release a large quantity of this on ePack? I assume they make more money on those and have better control over the price and supply.

Edit: Meant 2012. My oh my how the years fly by.

Last edited by Brobocop; 06-28-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #67
Sharard

Because you would think they need to give brick and mortar and official upper deck retailers be able to sell physical product. I don't expect e packs till least 2 months later.

And what leads people to believe this will be much cheaper as an e pack, and it will be interesting how they handle the over size sketches like 5x7 since they will not be in guardians e packs.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #68
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
Ya I have to agree after looking at sales.. I stand corrected. Teach me to write stuff when tired.
It's just funny how people remember things. When 2014 MP first released, the sketch quality and subsequent value was considered to be much lower than the inaugural 2012 release. Three years layer, people are talking about it like the sketch quality was the best of any product. Absolutely there were some amazing sketches in there, but that is true for every release.

I think this will be remembered as a good release, but there will be plenty of bad breaks. And it's clear UDs epack greed has put themselves ahead of traditional retail outlets. Should be an interesting release full of colorful commentary.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #69
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Con View Post
MM Jusko was a lot like this in the beginning right? It was incredibly difficult to locate physical boxes of and then after a month or so, a big chunk of it showed up on ePacks. Not saying this is what is happening, but I am saying that UD has used ePack and poor communication to create false scarcity before.

I always assume that to be the case personally given UD's track record with this sort of thing since ePack added entertainment cards to it.
We aren't trying to create scarcity on anyone. Yes, having an e-Pack release will reserve a certain % of volume for the e-Pack store that will release after the hobby release. I have tried to be up front as much as possible about products that are/aren't getting an e-Pack release. For the foreseeable future, all products entertainment/non-sport will have an e-Pack release that comes out a few months after the Hobby. If you are having trouble finding boxes/cases, or you don't want to pay more than the SRP, you will have an option in e-Pack.
UpperDeckMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #70
Angus Con

I appreciate the response. But I will say that before you started posting here regularly, there were releases like Alien and MM Jusko that were extremely difficult to find in the non-ePack world. Prices for singles/boxes were very high. Then they were released on ePack, waves of product were released, and prices dropped significantly for both. Those that overpaid for Alien at release (because non-sports products weren't even on ePack at that point) or MM Jusko did so because of UD's poor communication about product being held for ePack at the time. Customers overpaid because of that sense of false scarcity, which was very much in UD's control at the time and was created by UD. Maybe it wasn't intended, but it happened nonetheless.

Now, I always assume an ePack release with non-sports because that looks to be the safe assumption.

Off-topic, is UD still planning on releasing a Big Trouble in Little China set or has that disappeared?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #71
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Con View Post
Off-topic, is UD still planning on releasing a Big Trouble in Little China set or has that disappeared?
As of right now, it is on hold indefinitely.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #72
Carrbeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post
We aren't trying to create scarcity on anyone. Yes, having an e-Pack release will reserve a certain % of volume for the e-Pack store that will release after the hobby release. I have tried to be up front as much as possible about products that are/aren't getting an e-Pack release. For the foreseeable future, all products entertainment/non-sport will have an e-Pack release that comes out a few months after the Hobby. If you are having trouble finding boxes/cases, or you don't want to pay more than the SRP, you will have an option in e-Pack.
Certain Percentage? Why don't you just be honest and say 50% or it could be even more because I was told the entire allocation numbers by my distributor and everyone was cut by HALF or more.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #73
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Certain Percentage? Why don't you just be honest and say 50% or it could be even more because I was told the entire allocation numbers by my distributor and everyone was cut by HALF or more.
Just because numbers were cut by half does not mean half is going to e-Pack. There are other factors at play here besides e-Pack. The big one being sketch cards. The product lives and dies by them. If an artist doesn't deliver, we end up not being able to fill those cases.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #74
Carrbeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post
Just because numbers were cut by half does not mean half is going to e-Pack. There are other factors at play here besides e-Pack. The big one being sketch cards. The product lives and dies by them. If an artist doesn't deliver, we end up not being able to fill those cases.
So are you saying this product has a very small print run?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #75
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
So are you saying this product has a very small print run?
The print run for hobby this year will be smaller than the print runs for hobby of previous years. Yes, some of the overall volume is reserved to e-Pack, but again, there are many factors at play in determining availability. We always start with a goal of how many total cases we want to produce, but sometimes due to the availability of resources, those volumes could potentially decrease. There can be other external factors such as demand going up with hype from previous years success. Or additional retailers who didn't sell previous sets now want to get in on the game because they see how it does in the market. There are a lot of factors outside of our control that can influence availability.