Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #801
Spunky245

Spiderfan is about to get HOOKED UP!
Spunky245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #802
Spunky245

Or maybe they should be treated as "extra hits" and randomed to the participants of Case 4, since we all "bought" the case together?
Spunky245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #803
1992UDFootball

Wonder if Chaos or Marvel would be upset knowing that Lady Death's likeness is being used in Upper Deck's Marvel products?

Maybe I missed something while reading Marvel comics but:

along with that dual from the group break.

Look more like:

And less like:

How does this even happen?

Last edited by 1992UDFootball; 03-10-2018 at 08:26 PM.
1992UDFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #804
1992UDFootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky245 View Post
Or maybe they should be treated as "extra hits" and randomed to the participants of Case 4, since we all "bought" the case together?
Can see both sides of it, in general the extra items were kinda a way for UD to make up for the card being erroneously split up. Does kinda change things showing up in a group break format, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post
So as rare as this happens, this actually is part of a 3 piece puzzle section and I do apologize for it. After looking into it, I can see how this could have been confusing during our packaging process. Because 1 side of the card is 3 standalone images and the back side is the connecting factor, it could have been overlooked. Even the Thanos sections (excluding the bottom) I could see as being a standalone piece. If you are able to track down all three pieces, I will be the first person to shake your hand. However, I would suggest talking to Customer Service to see what we can do to rectify this error.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #805
Xazark

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post
There are two points to be made here...

Loading a product with nothing but high end artists like Glebes and Acar sketches is an excellent way to destroy the hobby entirely. Value is generally determined by rarity and demand. If they rarity goes down, or the demand goes down, so does the value. The goal is to have an even distribution of quality of across the entire run. Some will always be better than others. For every A+ level guy in the set, there should be an equal counterpart of a D- that will average everything out to a solid C ranking.

Stating that you would not have paid more than $20 for the given card is fine, but you don't know what someone else might pay for it. I don't understand why people pay $1000 for a new iPhone every year for an extra bell or whistle, but people do. On top of that, art is a subjective style. I've seen artists on the street that I think have better quality than artist hung in museums. People collect sketch cards for various reasons whether it be style, artist, character, or some mix of the 3. If it's not something that you want to keep in your collection, then it is worth selling or trading, but don't think that because you wouldn't pay more than $20 for it, you should sell it for $20.
I was not saying that I expect a A+ artist and card out of every box, that is unrealistic and misrepresenting my comments. What I am saying is that Marvel Premier is a high end product and as such, there should not be ANY "D-" sketches. The rejection rate on this should be well above the lower end products, meaning that you only accepting quality sketches. That is not to say that they have to be high end names, I am perfectly ok receiving a descent sketch from a "nobody" than receiving a poorly drawn rush job. The sketch quality on this product should not even be comparable with something like Marvel Annual etc..

I know art is subjective and am not going to get into artist bashing because I don't believe it is their fault. if UD wanted the quality to be there, it would be, plain and simple. They allow these junk cards into their product and allow these artists to continue to produce low quality, rushed cards and that means that it will continue until UD change their mind and start to implement better processes in quality control.

As to my comment about $20 sketches, I highly doubt I would be able to get even that for the 2 I have - but I don't buy these products to make a profit, I know it will never happen. I buy them to add to my collection of cards. But when I purchase a high end product and get a card that I would be disappointed receiving if I had bought a $50 box, it doesn't entice me to want to continue throwing money into a fire.
Xazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #806
Plinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992UDFootball View Post
Wonder if Chaos or Marvel would be upset knowing that Lady Death's likeness is being used in Upper Deck's Marvel products?

Maybe I missed something while reading Marvel comics but:

Is it possible that neither the artist or the approver knew the difference between the Chaos and Marvel Death's? Perhaps the artist simply saw the name on the characters list, and did an image search.
Plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #807
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootleaf View Post
Good eye Ian. I hope someone puts it together.

I took the liberty of pasting the pieces together.

@Plinth, yes that is probably how it happened IMO

Last edited by HiltonL; 03-11-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: out of context
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #808
GFD18

Quote:
I think that this should be the solution instead of a winner getting more "winnings"

"If" the solution by UD was to complete the sketch card, then it should go to spider-fan. BUT...that is impossible and not the case at all. UD doesnt have the rest of the pieces. Any solution by UD would be a bonus of sorts and anyone who participated in the group break should be eligible for that bonus. Spider-fans sketch pick is a quality piece regardless of the situation.
GFD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #809
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Spiderfan is about to get HOOKED UP!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD18 View Post
I think that this should be the solution instead of a winner getting more "winnings"

"If" the solution by UD was to complete the sketch card, then it should go to spider-fan. BUT...that is impossible and not the case at all. UD doesnt have the rest of the pieces. Any solution by UD would be a bonus of sorts and anyone who participated in the group break should be eligible for that bonus. Spider-fans sketch pick is a quality piece regardless of the situation.
Not that anybody asked my opinion, but...

I brought this to Ian's attention. I did not open a case with Upperdeck myself. We have not discussed it further, but based on previous breaks I assume he will either (a) redraft with the additional cards included and the draft will snake at the end or (b) random the draft order and draft the new cards based on that random.

I would reco option 2 since it is faster, doesn't hold up the existing cards from being distributed, and potentially gives me an opportunity to get additional stuff.

On the other hand, if everybody votes that anything new should go to me, I'm not going to turn the package away at the door.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #810
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Can see both sides of it, in general the extra items were kinda a way for UD to make up for the card being erroneously split up. Does kinda change things showing up in a group break format, haha.

I dont think the format makes a difference. If the policy was to send extra cards, they should send extra cards. Since the case was bought by a group, it's up to the group to figure out how to distribute them. The group break format shouldn't impact how Upperdeck handles the situation.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:45 AM   #811
1992UDFootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I dont think the format makes a difference. If the policy was to send extra cards, they should send extra cards. Since the case was bought by a group, it's up to the group to figure out how to distribute them. The group break format shouldn't impact how Upperdeck handles the situation.
You misunderstood me and I can see why as what I had said was confusing. UD should be sending cards. Don't know if it's really a policy so to speak... Just their way of trying to make good with a split up 'puzzle' card that they usually pack together.

I was referring as to who should get the "make up cards"; whomever picks the Jaro or the whole group.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #812
jadams

Quote:
UD should be sending cards. Don't know if it's really a policy so to speak... Just their way of trying to make good with a split up 'puzzle' card that they usually pack together.
Good luck with that.
jadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #813
jadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinth View Post
Is it possible that neither the artist or the approver knew the difference between the Chaos and Marvel Death's? Perhaps the artist simply saw the name on the characters list, and did an image search.
HAHAHA

You can sneak almost anything by Marvel on a sketchcard.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #814
Spider-Fan

Quote:
You misunderstood me and I can see why as what I had said was confusing. UD should be sending cards. Don't know if it's really a policy so to speak... Just their way of trying to make good with a split up 'puzzle' card that they usually pack together.

I was referring as to who should get the "make up cards"; whomever picks the Jaro or the whole group.
Maybe 'precedent' would have been a better choice verses 'policy'
Old 03-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #815
1992UDFootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
HAHAHA

You can sneak almost anything by Marvel on a sketchcard.
Yeaaaah, I don't know that Marvel has much to do with this but I could be wrong. I'm assuming Marvel passes out a "do not draw this character" list and that's about it.

The rest is left to Upper Deck.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #816
jadams

Quote:
Yeaaaah, I don't know that Marvel has much to do with this but I could be wrong. I'm assuming Marvel passes out a "do not draw this character" list and that's about it.

The rest is left to Upper Deck.
The do not draw this character is part of it yes. There's a guy at Marvel that apparently approves the sketchcards as well.

Marvel doesn't take sketchcard approvals very seriously though.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #817
1992UDFootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
The do not draw this character is part of it yes. There's a guy at Marvel that apparently approves the sketchcards as well.

Marvel doesn't take sketchcard approvals very seriously though.
Haha that last part is quite obvious then.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #818
Cujobyte

I really don't share my collection much online anymore, but had to share this one.

[IMG][/IMG]
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #819
Fspook00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
I really don't share my collection much online anymore, but had to share this one.

[IMG][/IMG]
Wonderful.

@sketchcardhive | Instagram
Sketch Card Hive | YouTube
Fspook00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #820
mf1971999

That's a damn fine card! Huy Troung? He's been incredible on this set.
mf1971999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 PM   #821
Cujobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1971999 View Post
That's a damn fine card! Huy Troung? He's been incredible on this set.
Yupppp. Agree.
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #822
GFD18

Check out this AMAZING single panel sketch of Red Skull!

Elise MP Strong. Phenomenal. Pulled it in a group break and just got it delivered today.

GFD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #823
Jakecg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD18 View Post
Check out this AMAZING single panel sketch of Red Skull!

Elise MP Strong. Phenomenal. Pulled it in a group break and just got it delivered today.

Awesome! I like her style a lot. She did a 2 panel magneto that I have been hoping would pop up somewhere for sale.
Jakecg11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #824
Morgoth

I have opened 3 boxes online and here are my 2 best sketches I have hit.
[IMG]GhostRider by Jason Jacobs, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]GhostRiderBack by Jason Jacobs, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]phoenixsketch by Jason Jacobs, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]phoenixsketchback by Jason Jacobs, on Flickr[/IMG]
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:01 AM   #825
1992UDFootball

Just curious, has there ever been an artist on a sketch product's checklist that didn't actually make it into the product?