2018 community chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #76
Carrbeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post
The print run for hobby this year will be smaller than the print runs for hobby of previous years. Yes, some of the overall volume is reserved to e-Pack, but again, there are many factors at play in determining availability. We always start with a goal of how many total cases we want to produce, but sometimes due to the availability of resources, those volumes could potentially decrease. There can be other external factors such as demand going up with hype from previous years success. Or additional retailers who didn't sell previous sets now want to get in on the game because they see how it does in the market. There are a lot of factors outside of our control that can influence availability.
But wouldn't it make sense to satisfy preorders placed by brick and mortar stores before allocating for Epack?

But of course upper deck makes far more from Epack sales than they do wholesale fulfillment to BM stores.

And if it seems like I am angry, I am. Upper Deck has had very poor performance this year. With issues like terrible collation on Guardians of the Galaxy II to hurting BM stores by severely cutting numbers only to see huge numbers of releases from the Epack side.

I will cut and paste what Angus Con said because it makes a very solid point.

Quote:
But I will say that before you started posting here regularly, there were releases like Alien and MM Jusko that were extremely difficult to find in the non-ePack world. Prices for singles/boxes were very high. Then they were released on ePack, waves of product were released, and prices dropped significantly for both. Those that overpaid for Alien at release (because non-sports products weren't even on ePack at that point) or MM Jusko did so because of UD's poor communication about product being held for ePack at the time. Customers overpaid because of that sense of false scarcity, which was very much in UD's control at the time and was created by UD. Maybe it wasn't intended, but it happened nonetheless.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #77
Fspook00

I agree

@sketchcardhive | Instagram
Sketch Card Hive | YouTube

Last edited by Fspook00; 06-28-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Fspook00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #78
daviswr7

I hate to pile on here, but I am going to re-state what I said earlier...

Our shop is a Brick and Mortar, Upper Deck Diamond Dealer who buys from a major distributor weekly....and we were allocated nothing. Zero physical boxes. How is this possible?
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #79
Angus Con

Quote:
As of right now, it is on hold indefinitely.
That's a big bummer. I'm a massive fan of that movie.

On topic, I was very outspoken about Alien going to ePack ambush style last year. The threads are still on here that show the difficulty people had finding physical boxes of Alien (as well as MM Jusko). Or Harry Dean Stanton's Alien auto selling for $200. Heck, I paid $80 for him because he was impossible to find and that was pretty much the market price prior to ePack. I went back and re-read some of the comments; so, I assure you that was the reality for a number of us collectors last year.

At this stage, I have no big axe to grind with UD or ePack. I enjoy the platform and what it provides. But that doesn't change how things were handled last year either.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #80
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
But wouldn't it make sense to satisfy preorders placed by brick and mortar stores before allocating for Epack?

But of course upper deck makes far more from Epack sales than they do wholesale fulfillment to BM stores.

And if it seems like I am angry, I am. Upper Deck has had very poor performance this year. With issues like terrible collation on Guardians of the Galaxy II to hurting BM stores by severely cutting numbers only to see huge numbers of releases from the Epack side.

I will cut and paste what Angus Con said because it makes a very solid point.
How distributors sell their product to B&M stores is outside of my control. Also outside of my control is how much of a total volume is allocated for physical versus e-Pack. I can provide information and suggestions, but that is about it. One of the primary goals of e-Pack is to make trading cards available to people that aren't in close proximity to a hobby store or don't want to wait a week for a box to arrive. We are trying to bring new blood into the hobby, and over time, this will increase volumes as well as business as a whole.

I lived in Wichita Falls, Texas for about a year before the internet businesses really took off. If I wanted any hobby product, it was either a 2 hour drive to Dallas or a 2 hour drive to Oklahoma City each way. If e-pack had been around during that time, I would of only needed to go as far as my computer.

As Angus clearly stated, it was in part due to lack of communication. Me being here is in response to that lack of communication. If the hobby of Marvel Premier sells out and you start seeing boxes popping up on sites for 2 or 3 times the SRP within 3 weeks of release, you are now armed with the knowledge that an e-Pack release is forthcoming and will be available.

The trading card business (or any business in that matter) needs to constantly evolve to reach new consumers through methods and channels that were previously untapped. With this comes change. It is normal to be resistant to the idea of change, but believe me when I say we are in this for the hobby and the long haul.
UpperDeckMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #81
BHotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
It's not inflation if the market bears it.
Think you misunderstood me. The market didn't bear 2014. Boxes didn't sell by any noticeable amount until they reached closer to $200. MP 2014 was over-hyped and then over-inflated @ ~$300. It was kinda funny because at the time there were some deals popping up of MP12 (which considered by most was a superior product) @ ~$300-350.

Anyways once people realized the contents of MP14 the market price was ~$200 so the $300 boxes sat there for months. Heck I'd say almost the biggest supply injection was that Thanksgiving of 2014 during Black Friday sales when many bought in at under $200.

But yeah the supply is going to dictate it ESPECIALLY initially and thus with the recent announcement of a lower print-run the price will be affected. However, it will take a few weeks to realize the real market price once we see the quality of the product and ePack is still going to play a role.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #82
Brobocop

Quote:
How distributors sell their product to B&M stores is outside of my control. Also outside of my control is how much of a total volume is allocated for physical versus e-Pack. I can provide information and suggestions, but that is about it. One of the primary goals of e-Pack is to make trading cards available to people that aren't in close proximity to a hobby store or don't want to wait a week for a box to arrive. We are trying to bring new blood into the hobby, and over time, this will increase volumes as well as business as a whole.

I lived in Wichita Falls, Texas for about a year before the internet businesses really took off. If I wanted any hobby product, it was either a 2 hour drive to Dallas or a 2 hour drive to Oklahoma City each way. If e-pack had been around during that time, I would of only needed to go as far as my computer.

As Angus clearly stated, it was in part due to lack of communication. Me being here is in response to that lack of communication. If the hobby of Marvel Premier sells out and you start seeing boxes popping up on sites for 2 or 3 times the SRP within 3 weeks of release, you are now armed with the knowledge that an e-Pack release is forthcoming and will be available.

The trading card business (or any business in that matter) needs to constantly evolve to reach new consumers through methods and channels that were previously untapped. With this comes change. It is normal to be resistant to the idea of change, but believe me when I say we are in this for the hobby and the long haul.
This is a pretty good point. Never really thought about it like that. My LCS is about 45 minutes away and rarely gets in non-sport cards. If Topps had ePack for Star Wars, I might open more Star Wars.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #83
nanners13

Quote:

Not IF, When more like it, and it WILL happen folks, SOooooo Looks like to avoid 3x SRP ebay mark up, IF you can't get it when physical comes live, Just wait a few months and pay SRP online

I mean, yes it stinks but A option is better then NO other option (as far as paying huge markups) right ? I think so
nanners13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #84
Sharard

So I guess no group break of this here on the forum?

how does COMC handle odd shaped sketches like the panels and 5x 7's. Just curious how's that handles when you ship them to COMC.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #85
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post

how does COMC handle odd shaped sketches like the panels and 5x 7's. Just curious how's that handles when you ship them to COMC.
To my knowledge, they handle them like any other card, but that is a question for COMC.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #86
Sharard

thanks has there ever been an upper deck product that has shipped these odd shaped sketches before to comc? Sorry, besides masterpieces, I never really used comc before or since.

And we were told no 5x7 from gotg vol2 too, so was just curious.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #87
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
thanks has there ever been an upper deck product that has shipped these odd shaped sketches before to comc? Sorry, besides masterpieces, I never really used comc before or since.

And we were told no 5x7 from gotg vol2 too, so was just curious.
GOTG2 will have no oversized 5x7 cards. But I believe Goodwin Champions had some oddball size cards like tobacco cards or oversized relics. Not 100% sure though as I wasn't involved in that product.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #88
sketchopolix

Matt just wanted to take a second to thank you for engaging with us on this board. I appreciate your effort.
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #89
ifish73

Quote:

I didn't think there would be a group break BUT Blowout is confident on getting some cases in and wanted us to be able to break some of them. I submitted a break and it should pop up any day.

Reading all the posts here I wanted to add my $0.02. In general I like epack as it gives people who don't have easy access to the product a chance to get some. My biggest gripes are that I hate digital cards, the free packs are fine, but I can't see myself paying for a digital card.

I don't think that 2017 Premier is a good fit for epack due to the low production. To hear so many physical stores getting shut out because we know that a decent amount was held back for epack isn't good for the hobby. Marvel Masterpieces had a much larger production so the amount of boxes held back for epack could be handled.

If I did my math right there will be around 850 cases of Premier, maybe less if they don't have enough sketches to fill the boxes. Take away what is being held back for epack and that doesn't leave a lot to go around to all of your physical stores that have customers looking forward to this product.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #90
Spider-Fan

I give UD credit for coming up with the whole "reaching people without an LCS" explanation, but for LCS owners things like Topps Now and Upper deck ePacks are going to put them out of business. The big online guys like Blowout, etc, will probably be okay for a while but the little guys are hanging by a thread as is. Its sad, really. I don't have much of an LCS to speak of, but I can't imagine giving up the experience of opening physical packs. It will be the end of my run as a trading card collector.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #91
arek

If UD wants to bring in new collectors, then please try to negotiate a new licensing agreement that allows the epacks to be marketed to the rest of the world.
arek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:02 AM   #92
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
If I did my math right there will be around 850 cases of Premier, maybe less if they don't have enough sketches to fill the boxes. Take away what is being held back for epack and that doesn't leave a lot to go around to all of your physical stores that have customers looking forward to this product.
I get your point that physical stores are getting screwed... no one can argue that. Kind of like Amazon selling direct online to a consumer over the last 20 years has killed stores like Sears and Borders. ePack is knocking out the middleman, for sure.

However, it's doubtful too many customers looking forward to this particular MP product are being hurt by this move (aside from those in countries not selling ePacks). Remember when before MP 2014 was released and many dealers were already selling MP at $300+ per box (50+% over msrp)? Now, if you live in the US and have a computer you will have the opportunity to buy MP 2017 directly from UD at msrp.

I also feel that this set, given its low print run and low number of cards per box, is a perfect fit for ePack. It will most likely sell out pretty quickly (maybe not as quick as MM, but I don't think it will last as long as MA -- which is still being sold 2.5 months after release. I give this set 1.5 months tops before selling out on ePack.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:21 AM   #93
Fspook00

Has the 2017 series gone up yet and where is it on the website? if you don't mind me asking.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:27 AM   #94
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fspook00 View Post
Has the 2017 series gone up yet and where is it on the website? if you don't mind me asking.
ePack releases tend to hit about 3 months after hobby shops get them, so it will be awhile.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 AM   #95
Fspook00

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
ePack releases tend to hit about 3 months after hobby shops get them, so it will be awhile.
Thanks.

one last thing...

Do physical boxes go up for sale on upper deck's site as well or is that reserved for only hobby stores? I don't have any bm hobby stores near by and ebay can get too expensive, so i'd rather try trading rather then paying too much for cards.

Last edited by Fspook00; 06-29-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #96
Cavaliercards

As a Brick and Mortar we are disappointed in this move.

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #97
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
I don't think that 2017 Premier is a good fit for epack due to the low production. To hear so many physical stores getting shut out because we know that a decent amount was held back for epack isn't good for the hobby. Marvel Masterpieces had a much larger production so the amount of boxes held back for epack could be handled.
But remember that we are talking about 2 different configurations for cases. A single case of Premier will only yield 6 boxes, but a case of Masterpieces would yield 12 boxes. Your getting twice as many boxes in a case of Masterpieces than if you bought a case of Premier. So on a box level, yes, there was more boxes available with a lower box price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I don't have much of an LCS to speak of, but I can't imagine giving up the experience of opening physical packs. It will be the end of my run as a trading card collector.
We don't want to push people away from LCS. We want new people to come into the hobby. If we bring people into the hobby, everybody will end up a winner. Granted that Marvel premier may not be the product for new people, but it helps to show the highs and lows of trading card scene. I know that whenever I have started a hobby in the past, I usually start on the low end of it to see if it's for me. But when I do start getting into it, I have no problem moving into those higher tier products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
If UD wants to bring in new collectors, then please try to negotiate a new licensing agreement that allows the epacks to be marketed to the rest of the world.
This is an ongoing discussion.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #98
Zuelos

It makes it almost impossible to get this stuff here in Europe, of course a change in the exportation policy/licenses would be great for fans at this side of the ocean.
Zuelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #99
DarthRogahn

Group break is up everyone FYI
DarthRogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #100
ifish73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRogahn View Post
Group break is up everyone FYI

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1127817

Zuelos - you can always join the break. I do not discriminate to those who live outside of the US.