This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #51
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
Other than the price point, this would be my main issue with a set like this. The set should be a full set, not a bunch of loose cards for splitting / trading / chasing.
Maybe they're banking on someone buying a bunch of sets trying to complete a parallel set?
Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #52
ejs23

$10,000 for a box? Did I read that right?

People are counting on Ridley and Ford to make a box worth it. But what happens when Ridley and Ford autos aren't particularly rare any longer?

It looks sweet, but seems like a brutal price point. Either way, good luck to anyone who gets a box.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #53
Eissacs

The sell sheet on the GTS twitter confirms 40 unique signers.
Eissacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #54
gdelan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
$10,000 for a box? Did I read that right?

People are counting on Ridley and Ford to make a box worth it. But what happens when Ridley and Ford autos aren't particularly rare any longer?

It looks sweet, but seems like a brutal price point. Either way, good luck to anyone who gets a box.
Yeah, it's the Topps Transcendent of Star Wars. 40 autos per box, 1 guaranteed 1/1. Woooo.
gdelan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #55
Scottish Punk

As much as I would love buying this set, price is more than I spend on the hobby for the entire year, lol. I would need to do some series selling to justify.

Looking at the list that Eissacs put out. His list seems very reasonable for some of the additional. That puts nine more - do you think we wood get the lesser bounty hunters - Harris and Parsons or some stables like Rose, or the standard lesser jedi from the prequels - Carson, Bourrigue, Allen, etc.
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #56
Scottish Punk

Here is another thought, it will be interesting to see how many of those 40 autographs are not in Galactic Files reborn.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #57
Eissacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
As much as I would love buying this set, price is more than I spend on the hobby for the entire year, lol. I would need to do some series selling to justify.

Looking at the list that Eissacs put out. His list seems very reasonable for some of the additional. That puts nine more - do you think we wood get the lesser bounty hunters - Harris and Parsons or some stables like Rose, or the standard lesser jedi from the prequels - Carson, Bourrigue, Allen, etc.

If I had to strictly GUESS I would choose from known signers (aka no surprises) and go with more well known characters or current characters like Rebels.

Ackbar
Nien
Sabine
Ezra
Yoda Deep Roy
Jabba (not sure which signer)
Zeb
Hera
(No idea on number 9)

All of these were at Celebration so it would have been easy for them to get them for the set.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #58
Scottish Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eissacs View Post
If I had to strictly GUESS I would choose from known signers (aka no surprises) and go with more well known characters or current characters like Rebels.

Ackbar
Nien
Sabine
Ezra
Yoda Deep Roy
Jabba (not sure which signer)
Zeb
Hera
(No idea on number 9)

All of these were at Celebration so it would have been easy for them to get them for the set.
You could be right and that makes sense especially if they used Celebration to get the sigs. For me personally, I don't care for anybody from voice acting on the cartoons. I realize I may be in the minority.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #59
Eissacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
You could be right and that makes sense especially if they used Celebration to get the sigs. For me personally, I don't care for anybody from voice acting on the cartoons. I realize I may be in the minority.
Seems to be a 50/50 split lol.

I like them personally so I'd be happy to get them. But I know many would t.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #60
kyle1707

Topps wants 1 million dollars for 100 boxes of this....

ok
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #61
Eissacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post

ok

And they're going to get it.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #62
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post

ok
So....maybe Dr. Evil is running Topps now?
Old 08-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #63
dd316

Quote:
And they're going to get it.
Not a chance this sells out. No way.

If it does, I'm going to list all my Tim Rose autos on Ebay for $500 a pop since people are obviously willing to spend an insane amount of money on Star Wars autos.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #64
Eissacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Not a chance this sells out. No way.

If it does, I'm going to list all my Tim Rose autos on Ebay for $500 a pop since people are obviously willing to spend an insane amount of money on Star Wars autos.
if they could sellout 65 baseball sets at $27,000 they can sell 100 of these at 10k. The group breaks will make sure of that. Never underestimate the amount of gamblers who DGAF about Star Wars who will wanna hit a Ford or Ridley. And at least 1/3 of these will be bought by individuals to open for themselves.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #65
dd316

Quote:
if they could sellout 65 baseball sets at $27,000 they can sell 100 of these at 10k. The group breaks will make sure of that. Never underestimate the amount of gamblers who DGAF about Star Wars who will wanna hit a Ford or Ridley. And at least 1/3 of these will be bought by individuals to open for themselves.
What this contains pales in comparison to the baseball set, and the fervor of baseball CARD collectors. Emphasis on CARD because they are a staple of that sport. In the Star Wars collecting world, the cards are small potatoes. There are people who spend $1,000s on Star Wars collectibles that have no idea Topps still makes cards, let alone they have autographs in them. Just the way it is.

The baseball set also contained a ticket to an exclusive event to mingle with one of the most popular players in the sport, not to mention more exclusive goodies.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #66
Bryanjs14

i'll place a bet for any amount of $$ or cards that this sells out. No question.

Group breakers will buy more than half of the 100 box run
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #67
Scottish Punk

Did Topps really sell out of the transcendent set? That is 1.75 million in revenue for a very small set to produce. That sets a bad precedent. I can see Topps doing something like that a few times a year to try and find the upper limit for collectors, I mean gamblers. I agree with you group breakers are going to be the main outlet for sets like these. How long before topps eliminates some low-end stuff and replaces with much more lucrative sets like these? I would really hate to get to a point where the only way to get an auto of somebody huge is in $10K set.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #68
jdhaugh11

Quote:
What this contains pales in comparison to the baseball set, and the fervor of baseball CARD collectors. Emphasis on CARD because they are a staple of that sport. In the Star Wars collecting world, the cards are small potatoes. There are people who spend $1,000s on Star Wars collectibles that have no idea Topps still makes cards, let alone they have autographs in them. Just the way it is.

The baseball set also contained a ticket to an exclusive event to mingle with one of the most popular players in the sport, not to mention more exclusive goodies.
True baseball has more collectors and there was more content in those boxes, however this Star Wars set is also 15K less and there are more big signers.

There should be 20 or so signers that will be worth $200 to $4/$5K

If you averaged out the value of each signer it will probably come out to be $250 to $300.

It does seem like hard sell to just one person, but for group breakers to know that you have around a 50% chance to get something worth at least the spot price!
Most group breaks are a loss for 75% of the people, maybe even more.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #69
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post

Group breakers will buy more than half of the 100 box run
I guess that depends on the cost of a spot, which we wouldn't know until everything is on the table.

Would you pay $200 for a spot in a group break? Not sure if there are enough that would.

Maybe I'm way off base and still have sticker shock, but I can't find any way no matter how I look at it to justify any value here. I'm mainly basing my assumption on Harrison Ford being the golden ticket.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #70
Eissacs

Quote:
I guess that depends on the cost of a spot, which we wouldn't know until everything is on the table.

Would you pay $200 for a spot in a group break? Not sure if there are enough that would.

Maybe I'm way off base and still have sticker shock, but I can't find any way no matter how I look at it to justify any value here. I'm mainly basing my assumption on Harrison Ford being the golden ticket.
Take a look at some of the breaker channels. There are guys who enter ALL the breaks just for the thrill. They don't care that they drop a couple G every few nights. Stellar is just another high end gamble to them.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #71
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
There should be 20 or so signers that will be worth $200 to $4/$5K

If you averaged out the value of each signer it will probably come out to be $250 to $300.
Exactly. I feel there are way more on the lower end of the spectrum that the higher side.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #72
dd316

Quote:
Take a look at some of the breaker channels. There are guys who enter ALL the breaks just for the thrill. They don't care that they drop a couple G every few nights. Stellar is just another high end gamble to them.
Do they spend that on non-sports? Whenever I watch shows, breaks, whatever, any time something that isn't one of the 4 major sports come up most scoff or laugh it off as kiddie stuff - especially on more expensive products.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #73
DarthRogahn

Of the list of signers I see 7 that consistently would sell for over $200
All the others can be obtained under $200
Obviously these will sell for higher since it is a premium release but how much higher?
Still seems steep at 10k
DarthRogahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #74
Eissacs

Quote:
Do they spend that on non-sports? Whenever I watch shows, breaks, whatever, any time something that isn't one of the 4 major sports come up most scoff or laugh it off as kiddie stuff - especially on more expensive products.
They did for stuff like masterworks. If it's high end they'll open it. They want ROI, they don't care who it's of.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #75
ForceChange77

I've been lucky enough to pull most of the "great" autos out of standard sets...Fisher, Hamill, Ridley, McDiarmid. Bought a James Earl Jones single.

Haven't pulled a Ford but its not going to kill me if I don't. I was tempted at this product at $7-$8 range because I figured I could sell some of my dupes and get the Ford down to a manageable cost. But at $10K, I don't think I can do and will most likely pass.
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote