BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #51
death2redemptions
Banned

I believe the Nationals are full of bandwagon fans...no seats left, sorry
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 AM   #52
PadresFan86

I know how it feels. I'm miserable being a Padres fan most of the time but I don't have it in me to ever switch teams.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #53
VWBUS1978

what if you really don't have a favorite team?

in my case, i grew up watching the Braves and Phillies and Yankees games on TV.

i go to a ton of Phillies games, but mainly pick the team they are playing against to actually go see a game at the field. Year before last i went to every Home Phillies vs. Giants game just to see Lincecum pitch. I got to see the Phillies clinch the playoffs that year too. I love going to Baltimore and Camden Yards to see the O's. I root for the Cubs because i want them to win a WS. I root for the Giants because i like Posey and Lincecum. I hate the Yanks, Red Sox and various other teams. But i can always find a player to root for when watching a game.

also, if i had to go by team "gear": i own about 50/50 Phillies/Giants clothes or hats.
if i had to go by money into team "cards": i have spent more on Bichette than any other player, so Yanks.

i am just a clusterf$%k of a baseball fan i suppose.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #54
signal_fifty

My dad, grandfather, and great grandfather were/ are Giants fans. When they moved to the West Coast, they didn't switch allegiances, they stuck it out. Through some lean years. I watched them get smoked as a kid in the '89 Series, lose a heartbreaker in the '02 Series, and the last three seasons are obviously the high water mark. All the memories I have of watching games live and on tv, the hours talking about baseball with my dad. I could never change teams. Once your fully invested, it's a cardinal sin to jump ship...
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #55
Vortigaunt86

2 World Series wins in your life time? Poor Marlins fans, I wonder how many fans would kill for that. They whine about their teams being blown up but it looks like it has worked in the past. Besides if their fans would actually supported the team, making it profitable, they could afford to pay their home grown talent. Miami is notorious for being a fair weather fan base for all it's sports teams.
Vortigaunt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #56
death2redemptions
Banned

My first year as a fan of the Braves I got to witness a world series victory...that was 18 years ago, despite seeing the Braves in many postseason games, haven't seen one since.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #57
JoshHamilton
Banned

I'm not sure the Marlins will even exist in 5 years. If they don't move, they'll be contracted
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #58
vinson24

My uncle came over to my house and said he wasn't going to be an Astros fan anymore and was going to switch over to the Cards.. I kicked him out of my house and didn't let him back over until he apologized... Switching teams is serious buisness
vinson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #59
MVPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortigaunt86 View Post
2 World Series wins in your life time? Poor Marlins fans, I wonder how many fans would kill for that. They whine about their teams being blown up but it looks like it has worked in the past. Besides if their fans would actually supported the team, making it profitable, they could afford to pay their home grown talent. Miami is notorious for being a fair weather fan base for all it's sports teams.
This is bull crap. Jeff Loria is the biggest scumbag GM in all of sports, this isn't the first time he's pulled a stunt like this but hopefully it's the last. The fans are paying for the stadium after he promised to put together competitive teams, then a year later he gutted the entire team.
MVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #60
death2redemptions
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPete View Post
This is bull crap. Jeff Loria is the biggest scumbag GM in all of sports, this isn't the first time he's pulled a stunt like this but hopefully it's the last. The fans are paying for the stadium after he promised to put together competitive teams, then a year later he gutted the entire team.
And pocketing the money...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #61
Vortigaunt86

Not really bull crap... It's just a simple fact that baseball in Florida is not profitable. Look at the attendance records of the Marlins in 1998 and 2004, the years after they won the World Series. One would expect some kind of high after winning championships. It's just not there. You can try and make the excuse that they dismantled the following year, draining any kind of hope from fans but check out the 2009 numbers from Tampa the year after they made the World Series. 2009 Major League Baseball Attendance & Miscellaneous - Baseball-Reference.com
The fan base is about as fair weather as they come.
Vortigaunt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #62
jstephens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinson24 View Post
My uncle came over to my house and said he wasn't going to be an Astros fan anymore and was going to switch over to the Cards.. I kicked him out of my house and didn't let him back over until he apologized... Switching teams is serious buisness
there we go. Astros through thick and thin
jstephens24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #63
MVPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortigaunt86 View Post
Not really bull crap... It's just a simple fact that baseball in Florida is not profitable. Look at the attendance records of the Marlins in 1998 and 2004, the years after they won the World Series. One would expect some kind of high after winning championships. It's just not there. You can try and make the excuse that they dismantled the following year, draining any kind of hope from fans but check out the 2009 numbers from Tampa the year after they made the World Series. 2009 Major League Baseball Attendance & Miscellaneous - Baseball-Reference.com
The fan base is about as fair weather as they come.
Most people here are transplants from up north like myself, so there's really no research needed. You get thick headed New Yorkers who can't convert because they are in the same division as the Rays.
MVPete is offline   Reply With Quote