Blowout Cards Forums
2018 Big Baller

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #126
kaleidosky
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 352
Default

jewcer2k5, thanks for making this thread! I haven't posted in here before, but I've definitely used this a ton in evaluating what to submit. Appreciate both the thread and all your submissions. Without guys like you and smackvay, I'd have to do a lot more work (and probably pay more) to keep my best cards "healthy". Or maybe I'd just never do it!
kaleidosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #127
pensfan87893
Member
 
pensfan87893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pulaski, PA
Posts: 12,878
Default

How do you guys usually package up your cards when you send them to get graded? I'm going to get a few cards graded for the first time and was wondering what the best way is. Just penny sleeve, top loader, team bag and then into bubble wrap/mailer ok?
__________________
Sidney Crosby Collector! Sid card count: 319
Also Collect Pirates/Steelers/Penguins/All Sports RC's/ Aaron Judge and TWD!

2016 and 2017 Back to Back Stanley Cup Champions: Pittsburgh
pensfan87893 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #128
zac949
Member
 
zac949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensfan87893 View Post
How do you guys usually package up your cards when you send them to get graded? I'm going to get a few cards graded for the first time and was wondering what the best way is. Just penny sleeve, top loader, team bag and then into bubble wrap/mailer ok?
Should be fine. PSA prefers card savers over top loaders. They claim on their website that they donít accept top loaders, screw downs, and snap cases but I called and the lady said they wonít turn it away.
__________________
Photo Bucket - http://s882.photobucket.com/user/zacnagy/library/?sort=3&page=1
PC Andrew Luck Always looking to trade for HIGH END Andrew Luck RC's and Auto's
CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR 2012 CONTENDERS ANDREW LUCK PLAYOFF TICKET AUTO /99 GRADED BGS 9.5/10
zac949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #129
pensfan87893
Member
 
pensfan87893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pulaski, PA
Posts: 12,878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac949 View Post
Should be fine. PSA prefers card savers over top loaders. They claim on their website that they donít accept top loaders, screw downs, and snap cases but I called and the lady said they wonít turn it away.
Cool, I appreciate the info. I'm gonna be sending to BGS, so hopefully top loaders are ok there.
__________________
Sidney Crosby Collector! Sid card count: 319
Also Collect Pirates/Steelers/Penguins/All Sports RC's/ Aaron Judge and TWD!

2016 and 2017 Back to Back Stanley Cup Champions: Pittsburgh
pensfan87893 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #130
CardMonopoly
Member
 
CardMonopoly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensfan87893 View Post
Cool, I appreciate the info. I'm gonna be sending to BGS, so hopefully top loaders are ok there.
BGS's website suggests you send cards in card savers, but you can send cards to BGS in Card Savers, toploaders, or magnetics. They're not going to turn your business away. Just don't tape the magnetics shut and don't expect to get any of them back.
__________________
Cards for sale on COMC: https://tinyurl.com/yb6966p8
My Flickr Album: https://tinyurl.com/y9jns77a
CardMonopoly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #131
KB81
Member
 
KB81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,439
Default

Card Savers are horrible

I use top loaders all the time. Hell with them not wanting it. i need to protect MY cards best I can during transit. Never been turned away.

I do not use a top loader that makes it hard for them to take card out either.
Card is snug enough and can come out easily with a slight tapping.
__________________
Aaron Judge inventory Count = 122
KB81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #132
ThoseBackPages
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 18,548
Default

i wonder if BGS/PSA have a more difficult time cutting the top loaders, which is why they dont recommend sending them in
__________________
clectors proclaim "the hobby is dead" & are FURIOUS AND LIVID!!!
Graded Rookie Card Collector

PSA
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #133
jewcer2k5
Member
 
jewcer2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 29,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
i wonder if BGS/PSA have a more difficult time cutting the top loaders, which is why they dont recommend sending them in
100% the reason.
__________________
Follow me on eBay, 200+ auctions per week
If you are looking to submit to BGS or PSA look for my tri weekly submissions in the Box/Case Breaks Section
Secondary eBay account - pc_sportscards
jewcer2k5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:14 PM   #134
lemongoat1134
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 321
Default

One of the cards in a BGS submission just returned to me has a spec inside the case on the bottom left of the card. Anyone else ever experience this?
lemongoat1134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #135
goodole13
Member
 
goodole13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongoat1134 View Post
One of the cards in a BGS submission just returned to me has a spec inside the case on the bottom left of the card. Anyone else ever experience this?
What is a spec? A picture may help answer your question.
__________________
*Rams Contenders*1996 Bowman's Best*2000 Fleer Greats of the Game*2001 Topps XFL*2005 Upper Deck AFL*
**https://sportscardalbum.com/u/goodole13**http://s710.photobucket.com/user/goodole13/library/**
goodole13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #136
KhalDrogo
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 432
Default

Made my first ever submission two weeks ago and it popped today. 14 cards. 13 9.5s and 1 10. Very happy. Thanks for the advice!
__________________
Collecting: Pavin Smith, Adam Haseley, Malcolm Brogdon, Kobe Bryant, Ken Griffey Jr., Tom Brady
KhalDrogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #137
jewcer2k5
Member
 
jewcer2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 29,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Made my first ever submission two weeks ago and it popped today. 14 cards. 13 9.5s and 1 10. Very happy. Thanks for the advice!
Great job. Congrats.
__________________
Follow me on eBay, 200+ auctions per week
If you are looking to submit to BGS or PSA look for my tri weekly submissions in the Box/Case Breaks Section
Secondary eBay account - pc_sportscards
jewcer2k5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #138
KhalDrogo
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 432
Default

How often do you have cards come back from BGS with damaged cases? I had a few come back with chipped cases. Not damaging eye appeal, but just annoying. Can you get them to ship in one of the graded card holders they sell on the website? Or do the cards get sent back in the same box every time?
__________________
Collecting: Pavin Smith, Adam Haseley, Malcolm Brogdon, Kobe Bryant, Ken Griffey Jr., Tom Brady
KhalDrogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #139
chathampa
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: East Bay
Posts: 3
Default BGS/PSA

Thanks for the great article and I plan on sending in some cards to you in March.

I sent in 7 cards to BGS for the first time and I was disappointed that I only received 1 9.5. 5 were 9s and 1 was a 8.5. I'm not that upset as this was all for my Eagles PC. The biggest thing I noticed was that the corner and edge grades came out lower than I thought. I chose 7 of my best cards so I could learn from the process. Besides getting a magnifying glass with light to check out the edges and corners, what else can you do to really judges the 2 factors? What truly separates a 9.5 vs. a 9 edge/corners? I even took out a PSA 10 Ajayi card perfectly and I got a 9 back from BGS.
chathampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #140
jewcer2k5
Member
 
jewcer2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 29,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathampa View Post
Thanks for the great article and I plan on sending in some cards to you in March.

I sent in 7 cards to BGS for the first time and I was disappointed that I only received 1 9.5. 5 were 9s and 1 was a 8.5. I'm not that upset as this was all for my Eagles PC. The biggest thing I noticed was that the corner and edge grades came out lower than I thought. I chose 7 of my best cards so I could learn from the process. Besides getting a magnifying glass with light to check out the edges and corners, what else can you do to really judges the 2 factors? What truly separates a 9.5 vs. a 9 edge/corners? I even took out a PSA 10 Ajayi card perfectly and I got a 9 back from BGS.
Only time practicing will teach you what can get by as a 9.5 or a 9. Also comes down to the grader you get and the day that he is having. Lots of variables.
__________________
Follow me on eBay, 200+ auctions per week
If you are looking to submit to BGS or PSA look for my tri weekly submissions in the Box/Case Breaks Section
Secondary eBay account - pc_sportscards
jewcer2k5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #141
padremurph
Member
 
padremurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 1,635
Default

Question on wiping the card down. Do you do it with a dry microfiber cloth or slightly wet?

I just received a 2001 Heritage chrome card this past week that was stuck pretty badly to the penny sleeve because itís probably been in there forever. The surface is a little dirty.
padremurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #142
jewcer2k5
Member
 
jewcer2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 29,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by padremurph View Post
Question on wiping the card down. Do you do it with a dry microfiber cloth or slightly wet?

I just received a 2001 Heritage chrome card this past week that was stuck pretty badly to the penny sleeve because itís probably been in there forever. The surface is a little dirty.
I use it dry because it is usually on chrome cards. I don't know the answer to a heritage card but you can try whatever you want.
__________________
Follow me on eBay, 200+ auctions per week
If you are looking to submit to BGS or PSA look for my tri weekly submissions in the Box/Case Breaks Section
Secondary eBay account - pc_sportscards
jewcer2k5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #143
padremurph
Member
 
padremurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 1,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewcer2k5 View Post
I use it dry because it is usually on chrome cards. I don't know the answer to a heritage card but you can try whatever you want.
Thanks! I guess Iíll start with dry and see if it helps. Itís a card Iíve been wanting for years so hoping it works out.
padremurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.