Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 100

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
IndySportsCards

Default Have you tried to buy a gun lately???!!!

It's getting harder and harder to find guns and ammo anymore.. seriously! Have you tried to buy an AR-15 or an AK-47?? My local shop sold 37 AR-15's yesterday, and some dude bought 3000.00 worth of ammo, filled an entire shopping cart with it.

I AM NOT KIDDING!

They're telling me they may not get anymore for months from the factory. My buddy sells guns and tells me the ground level info on this stuff. He says his buddy took out his savings in November and has done nothing but buy and sell AR-15's and has made over 90K.. That's what he says, but after seeing today with my own eyes, it's amazing how many guns are being sold right now. Anyone else notice this trend?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
fm8418

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

only airsoft...but that doesn't count lol
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
brett06

and paintball guns sell well too lol
Old 04-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
It's getting harder and harder to find guns and ammo anymore.. seriously! Have you tried to buy an AR-15 or an AK-47?? My local shop sold 37 AR-15's yesterday, and some dude bought 3000.00 worth of ammo, filled an entire shopping cart with it.

I AM NOT KIDDING!

They're telling me they may not get anymore for months from the factory. My buddy sells guns and tells me the ground level info on this stuff. He says his buddy took out his savings in November and has done nothing but buy and sell AR-15's and has made over 90K.. That's what he says, but after seeing today with my own eyes, it's amazing how many guns are being sold right now. Anyone else notice this trend?
its because all the gun nuts were afraid of Obama keeping his vow to reinstate the federal ban on some assault rifles (he made this vow during his campaign)... so everyone was buying what they could just in case...but recently Obama's administration's rhetoric has backed off on that vow.

they do not want to take on the NRA because there are other priorities for his administration right now
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Texansfan

Barrack passed a law, making it illegal to reload the brass, that used to be mass reloaded, for agencys and the military.
For example, my office used to take tons of the used brass down, and trade it in towards new boxes of fresh ammo, and buy some additional. Now they can not do that, and have to buy everything from scratch. Our military is now under the same regulations, and its going to cost everyone millions apon millions to do this.....

That is part of the reason for the increased purchase of ammo. The guns portion, I can only imagine.......
Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Semper_PatsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansfan View Post
Barrack passed a law, making it illegal to reload the brass, that used to be mass reloaded, for agencys and the military.
For example, my office used to take tons of the used brass down, and trade it in towards new boxes of fresh ammo, and buy some additional. Now they can not do that, and have to buy everything from scratch. Our military is now under the same regulations, and its going to cost everyone millions apon millions to do this.....

That is part of the reason for the increased purchase of ammo. The guns portion, I can only imagine.......
Isn't that crazy? We the people are going to pay for such purchases. I just don't understand the logic. I'm in the Military but far from a Gun collector but all these gun laws are only going to drive up the cost of guns. Which I guess will help the gun makers now.

Bucket: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Semper_Patsfan/
Semper_PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
biodole
Banned

its true...guns are flying out of stock everywhere. It's an absolute nightmare to get something.

Picked up a couple S&W 642's in january for $319 - now they're pushing $500 a piece. In addition, got a couple S&W VE40's with 6 mags each for 280 a piece. Grabbed 2 AR-15's (olympic arms) for $600 each. GOOD LUCK finding an AR-15 for under $1,200 now (IF they're even in stock!)...they were $650-700 in january.

People are fearful of another "Assault Weapons" ban - which isn't even a ban on true assault weapons.

Definition of Assault Rifle - A Rifle that can be switched between fully-automatic and semi-automatic mode.

Any weapon that can be used in fully automatic mode was banned from private ownership (without extensive permissions through class-3 licenses) in the 1934 national firearms act.

So this so-called assault weapons ban that will probably happen again will end up banning semi-automatic rifles, magazines with more than 8-10 round capacity, certain ammunition, bayonets (seriously now...wtf?), among other things.

So I can't exactly blame people for stock piling stuff (great investment if the ban gets passed - as pre-ban weapons become very valuable for resale) - but it sucks for those of us who don't have bottomless pockets to buy what we want =(
biodole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
pearljam_cubbies

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

Im not a gun person so I have no idea but on coast to coast radio they are always talking about the walmarts being completely sold out of ammo and people lining up in the store on the day the new shipments come in.
All Topps Heritage Cubs team sets
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

I have a ruger, can someone explain what an AR-15 is and why anyone would want an AK-47. Not trying to mock anyone, but I don't get it. I take my ruger wherever I go (except court, then I have to leave it in my car), I don't think I could take an AK-47 with my concealed carry permit.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I have a ruger, can someone explain what an AR-15 is and why anyone would want an AK-47. Not trying to mock anyone, but I don't get it. I take my ruger wherever I go (except court, then I have to leave it in my car), I don't think I could take an AK-47 with my concealed carry permit.
The name AR-15 is now used almost exclusively to refer to the semi-automatic (commercially available) civilian version(s) of the M16 and M4 assault rifles.

As to why someone would want an AK-47, for the same reason someone would want a Ruger.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
BAMBAM

When I was younger I never wanted to go near a gun shop because I was younger and didn't think it would be in my best interest to own a gun, if you can get what I'm saying.

However, I'm now seriously thinking about buying a couple guns before I don't have that option anymore. Threw it out there for the wife and she didn't pitch a bitch which surpirsed me. After being dead set against it back when we first married, the wife is surprisingly now on board with owning one as well,......... maybe I should hide one I buy

Once work picks up I'm going shopping.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Once work picks up I'm going shopping.
Hopefully there will still be one available for you. I checked my local Walmart last night, the ammo shelf is bare.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
biodole
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
I'm glad someone asked this question.

I will give a brief history and description of how the 2nd amendment was utilized by our founders - and what it signified to them.

The whole point of the 2nd amendment was to protect American citizens not form wild animals...not from terrorists....but from the Government itself. The 2nd amendment was primarily for protection against TYRANNY. Please refer to Thomas Jefferson's quote here:

"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important." -Thomas Jefferson (1803).

The idea was that if a government became too powerful, with a standing army, police, and other intruments for which to enact martial law and liberty-crushing ideals - the average citizens would be fully armed without any infringement - able to destroy the regime in full scale insurrection.

So, even though we have ALLOWED out gun rights to be destroyed - we can still own certain weapons without having the BATF known down our doors and arrest us...for now.

Interestingly enough, the first GUN LAW passed in the US was in 1934, right on the heels of the repealed prohibition. This law was called the National Firearms Act....which in turn limited automatic firearms ownership and sales by putting a $200 tax stamp on all transfers of these weapons (about 6 months salary in 1934). IN addition, they banned possession of certain weapons including explosives, and certain military equipment. So from 1776-1933 -there were ZERO federal firearms laws. ZERO!

Now to make this even better...how many killings with FULLY AUTOMATIC weapons (LEGALLY OBTAINED) have happened in the U.S. since the 1934 firearms law? TWO. One was a police officer using a police-issued machine gun to committ murder, and the other was an actual citizen. So technically, ONE incident in 75 years. How many murders with fully automatic weapons that are ILLEGALLY obtained? A lot more.

The point....those who will LEGALLY seek to own a firearm of ANY variety (even a tank or artillery cannon, anything) will not be using it to commit a crime. What would be the POINT of getting it legally, if you intend to commit a crime with that weapon? (which for virtually all sitautions is obviously a MUCH more punishable crime than owning the illegal firearm to begin with). Example...do you think that the Virginia Tech shooter gave a damn that firearms were banned from college campuses? IT GAVE HIM AN EVEN EASIER JOB! Now he can commit murder without the fear of retribution through armed citizens!

Naturally it was a blood bath and he killed many UNARMED people. Reason? Beacuse law-biding citizens didn't arm themselves...they respected the law. The psychopatch murderer, however, didn't mind breaking a stupid firearm law to go and KILL people (which is OBVIOUSLY much more severe!).

The moral of the story.

We own AK-47s, AR-15s, and any other firearms we can afford BECAUSE WE CAN. It is OUR RIGHT to do so - even though the government has stopped at nothing to take these rights away gradually - so that they can impose totalitarian rule against us, with absolutely no thread of insurrection. (what the hell could we do against tanks, jets, helicopters, machine guns, rocket launchers, mortars, etc. ??)

Bottom Line -

If you don't arm yourself, that is your choice - and you have the right to not arm yourself.

However, those who do arm themselves are doing their duty as American citizens in helping protect their rights from the threat of tyranny (as well as self defense from criminals, etc.)
Old 04-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodole View Post
I'm glad someone asked this question.

We own AK-47s, AR-15s, and any other firearms we can afford BECAUSE WE CAN. It is OUR RIGHT to do so - even though the government has stopped at nothing to take these rights away gradually - so that they can impose totalitarian rule against us, with absolutely no thread of insurrection. (what the hell could we do against tanks, jets, helicopters, machine guns, rocket launchers, mortars, etc. ??)
I get the second amendment, and a well organized militia meant every able-bodied male.

I still don't get what someone would do with an AK-47. Its not like you can hide it, and its not like its really a hunting weapon.

I don't dispute your right to carry one, but if you have an AK-47 for the same reason I keep a Carey Price RC, that's cool, but other than looking at it, what can you do with one that isn't going to land you in jail or shred a deer beyond recognition.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
biodole
Banned

Quote:
I get the second amendment, and a well organized militia meant every able-bodied male.

I still don't get what someone would do with an AK-47. Its not like you can hide it, and its not like its really a hunting weapon.

I don't dispute your right to carry one, but if you have an AK-47 for the same reason I keep a Carey Price RC, that's cool, but other than looking at it, what can you do with one that isn't going to land you in jail or shred a deer beyond recognition.

It isn't even so much carry, as it is to own and operate on your own property - or in the setting of defense against tyranny or foreign invaders.

It's practical purpose is not meant to be used day-to-day for hunting, or self defense (it's too damn big for concealment lol)

But the practice of owning one is merely to arm oneself and protect one's property from the above listed dangers.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
fm8418

I cant wait until the "Space Invaders" come in and I can use my AK-47
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
I cant wait until the "Space Invaders" come in and I can use my AK-47
As my grandfather, a national .45 sharp shooting champion once told me,
"I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it."
Old 04-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
fm8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
As my grandfather, a national .45 sharp shooting champion once told me,
"I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it."
I think if it gets to the point were being invaded at our backdoor I think we're screwed.

My fiances brother wants a gun but his wife won't allow it. I think it's a combination of religion, young children.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
It isn't even so much carry, as it is to own and operate on your own property - or in the setting of defense against tyranny or foreign invaders.

It's practical purpose is not meant to be used day-to-day for hunting, or self defense (it's too damn big for concealment lol)

But the practice of owning one is merely to arm oneself and protect one's property from the above listed dangers.

That makes sense. That's pretty much why I have a ruger.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #20
fm8418

Quote:
That makes sense. That's pretty much why I have a ruger.
The sub machine gun ruger?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #21
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Ruger .22 pistol
Old 04-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #22
biodole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
The sub machine gun ruger?
I was hoping ruger made a .50 belt-fed machine gun - only to find this isn't the case =(
Old 04-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
biodole
Banned

Quote:
Ruger .22 pistol
.22? I'm hoping you are a CIA-Assassin crack-shot....or have a 50 round magazine ;-)
Old 04-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #24
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
.22? I'm hoping you are a CIA-Assassin crack-shot....or have a 50 round magazine ;-)
I'm a decent shot. If I need to I'll make up for the lack of accuracy by taking several shots.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #25
biodole
Banned

Quote:
I'm a decent shot. If I need to I'll make up for the lack of accuracy by taking several shots.
hey, even a .22 is better than nothing =)