Blowout Cards Forums
Trending

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
stokesboystoys

Default Bowman Platinum Retail

Not a baseball collector, but overheard some guys at my LCS talking about how difficult it is to find Bowman Platinum retail products. I'm currently on vacation in NC and decided to swing by the Wal-Mart to see if they had any. Turns out that their display was almost full. Bought it all hoping to be able to resell. Wound up with 2x 2 Autos Boxes, 6x Blaster boxes and 14x 12-card hanger packs.

Did I do well? Will they resell for more than I bought them for? Anyone flipped these and willing to give some advice to a noob?

Thanks in advance for your help!
stokesboystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
spuds1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokesboystoys View Post
Not a baseball collector, but overheard some guys at my LCS talking about how difficult it is to find Bowman Platinum retail products. I'm currently on vacation in NC and decided to swing by the Wal-Mart to see if they had any. Turns out that their display was almost full. Bought it all hoping to be able to resell. Wound up with 2x 2 Autos Boxes, 6x Blaster boxes and 14x 12-card hanger packs.

Did I do well? Will they resell for more than I bought them for? Anyone flipped these and willing to give some advice to a noob?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Not the best product to try and resell for a profit, they will not sell for more than what you paid, maybe the blasters but no one is going to pay more than 80 dollars for the collectors boxes.
spuds1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
cj828282

There was a reason why there was almost a full display still available.
cj828282 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
DdhMoco

Good thing you bought it all... Its pretty tough to understand why people can't find any, when a person with zero knowledge on what it is grabs all of it just hoping to resell at a profit. Just to clarify you also just stopped at a random Walmart while on vacation to check for something you don't collect?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
jeff24k

If you can't re-sell it for a profit, you can always return to Walmart for a full refund. It's a no-lose proposition.
jeff24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
Dbacksbaseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DdhMoco View Post
Good thing you bought it all... Its pretty tough to understand why people can't find any, when a person with zero knowledge on what it is grabs all of it just hoping to resell at a profit. Just to clarify you also just stopped at a random Walmart while on vacation to check for something you don't collect?
While this comes off a little salty, it is actually kinda funny.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
beauspencer

No, you did not do well if you intend to resell. After fees and shipping you will lose money. if you intend to resell anything do a couple minutes of research.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
macman23

OP regrets this post. Im going to go buy something I have no clue about and hope to flip it for a profit, but first let me ask people blowout, if I made a good purchase.
macman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
LC2nine10

I thought your name was stRokesboystoys and was aghast.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
blackbears86

OP: As you can see from the above responses, not the best product to buy if you have never dabbled in this type of thing before. Not sure what the card shop guys were saying, but this product is falling in interest quickly.

My advice: open and enjoy or return.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
christhecpa

I agree with Jeff. It is a no lose investment. Either they run short and you resale for a profit or you get a refund. Not many risk free investments.
christhecpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #12
The Accountant

fomo is real
Cole Hamels 1/1's, autos, and numbered refractors
The Accountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
auctionjmm

Yep. You screwed up. Now hopefully you'll do the honest thing and sell them for a loss on eBay instead of returning them to the store. Don't stick Walmart with your problem. It's yours now.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
djolley86

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Yep. You screwed up. Now hopefully you'll do the honest thing and sell them for a loss on eBay instead of returning them to the store. Don't stick Walmart with your problem. It's yours now.
Haha what? Why would anyone do what you are suggesting?

I think it’s stupid to buy something not knowing anything about it, and then have the stones to come on here and ask if you should flip, but give the guy a break. He can return to Walmart without any problem and move on. He doesn’t need the morality police coming on here to tell him he should take an unnessecary loss on it now.
djolley86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #15
auctionjmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by djolley86 View Post
Haha what? Why would anyone do what you are suggesting?

I think itís stupid to buy something not knowing anything about it, and then have the stones to come on here and ask if you should flip, but give the guy a break. He can return to Walmart without any problem and move on. He doesnít need the morality police coming on here to tell him he should take an unnessecary loss on it now.
I'm speaking from experience. I have no problem with people who clean out stores looking to make a buck cause I've done the same thing, but I've never returned a thing. If I am going to be "that" guy in Walmart, I will damn sure take my lumps when I've made a poor investment.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #16
smanzari

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
I'm speaking from experience. I have no problem with people who clean out stores looking to make a buck cause I've done the same thing, but I've never returned a thing. If I am going to be "that" guy in Walmart, I will damn sure take my lumps when I've made a poor investment.
You realize that when you return a sealed box, Walmart will put back on the shelf; therefore, this would indirectly be leaving some for the kids. (or the next "that" guy who comes to clear the shelf,)

Its a no lose for everyone!

smanzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #17
auctionjmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smanzari View Post
You realize that when you return a sealed box, Walmart will put back on the shelf; therefore, this would indirectly be leaving some for the kids. (or the next "that" guy who comes to clear the shelf,)

Its a no lose for everyone!
I wrote that with the assumption that nobody else would really want it. All I've read is negativity about the product.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
christhecpa

I think short of total arson there is not much you could do to WalMart that would be unjustified. The company is pure evil.

I just cleaned out my local store of five boxes. I'm not interested in driving market up, I just think it makes a good product to have at a upcoming card show to pack out. It's cheap enough kids can afford.

But best believe they are going back if the interest isn't there. Until they start paying a living wage and not replace humans with scanners f them.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #19
Hamfisted9

Yeah....not a good buy. Hanger packs won't resell because everyone will think they are searched and the collector boxes are already overpriced for what this is. Not all retail exclusive releases are made equal.
Hamfisted9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #20
christhecpa

OP....I hope you kept them and they are sealed. WalMart is out and everywhere from hobby shops to Craigs List to eBay are selling at a premium. There are some auctions tonight that will give a good update now that the buying rush is starting. It's just a matter of where you think the peak is. I'm holding on to mine and actually was lucky enough to have a relative in a podunk town in NC that works at WalMart and found me 5 more plus the 10% employee discount. WalMart.com is out though. All that being said I agree it's a subpar product that Bowman halfass puts out to appease the retail market. I opened 10 fat packs just to get a feel and was not real impressed with the look of the card. I got a Bellinger variation and two autos but nothing that will be huge. Seems like this class of rookies are very pitcher laden. BOL in whatever you do.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #21
cardmole

Quote:
Originally Posted by christhecpa View Post
OP....I hope you kept them and they are sealed. WalMart is out and everywhere from hobby shops to Craigs List to eBay are selling at a premium. There are some auctions tonight that will give a good update now that the buying rush is starting. It's just a matter of where you think the peak is. I'm holding on to mine and actually was lucky enough to have a relative in a podunk town in NC that works at WalMart and found me 5 more plus the 10% employee discount. WalMart.com is out though. All that being said I agree it's a subpar product that Bowman halfass puts out to appease the retail market. I opened 10 fat packs just to get a feel and was not real impressed with the look of the card. I got a Bellinger variation and two autos but nothing that will be huge. Seems like this class of rookies are very pitcher laden. BOL in whatever you do.
let me know next $5 retail product where you get 1 in 5 pack auto hits-i'll take my chances pulling a few duds!
cardmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #22
Mrhenrychan

This year is not so good. Last year Judge’s and Bellinger’s were being pulled while this year the checklist for autographs is not that great. Plus the premium boxes went up $10. I bought 25 from Walmart.com but they cancelled the order so I’m kinda glad they did.
Mrhenrychan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #23
nasboat

You could always try just selling/trading it to your local LCS if there's a demand out there and retail is empty. Admittedly it was with 2017 that I did this, and they had the Judge/Bellinger bump, but one of the LCS' around here gave me slightly above what I paid at retail for my 5 blasters and I ended up basically swapping 'em out for a hobby box of Topps Chrome. Felt like a win-win for everyone.

I cleared out almost all of what our local Wal-Mart had of 2018 and ended up ripping it, FWIW. Didn't turn out very well. Two autos from the collector box, one auto out of 5 blasters, and one decent hanger pack (I left the rest of the packs for the kids). Wish I had at least tried to do another swap/sell on that, honestly.

Last edited by nasboat; 07-13-2018 at 12:14 AM.
nasboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:46 AM   #24
jjo1776

Honestly thinking about returning some of the hobby boxes I snagged, thought about breaking, thought about holding, I wish i could see the future. It'd help with this hobby lol
jjo1776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #25
djohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasboat View Post
You could always try just selling/trading it to your local LCS if there's a demand out there and retail is empty.
This is the first thing you should try to do. I was telling my LCS that I was going to buy a bunch and they asked me if I could get any for them. So that would be the first place I would try to sell. Just don't get greedy. I offered to resell them to my LCS at cost and a few singles for my time.