2017 Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #151
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobfan8 View Post
This is the problem, you're trying to make out that he won't be good and you're also saying he's gonna be a bust. That's pure garbage, nobody is saying he's gonna be a superstar.

Here's a nice read. And there are a couple more that are even more favourable towards Simmons.

NBA Draft Expert's Ultimate Tale of the Tape: Ben Simmons vs. Brandon Ingram | Bleacher Report

Simmons will be just fine in the NBA, yes he'll need to get a better shot, so what, do you know how many players have come in without a jumpshot? Hell Tony Parker was TERRIBLE outside of the paint in his first few years.

It's not like Simmons has no touch, but no I do not think the comparisons to LeBron by some (not just passing) are accurate.

I think a Brand comparison is best case, and Bennett is worst.

His passing is really on LeBron's level, there's not too many guys that can stand out at the top of the 3 and make that pass to the corner 3 shooter coming off a screen. Unfortunately I'm not sure who's gonna be shooting those 3s for Philly, Stauskas? Ouch.

Simmons draft measurements are similar to Blake Griffin, another guy that didn't have a jump shot.

I mean hell, he might be awful, but Philly plays at a good pace, and they are desperate for a playmaker, they have decent bigs that can finish and Simmons is just not going to have trouble getting rebounds and pushing the break.

Superstar? Who the hell knows, if he gets ROY and becomes a legit starter in the League in the Giannis or Odom mould or even sniffs 1/3 of LeBron's level then that's a win for Philly.

The argument he played against weaker College teams doesn't really wash as he also had average teammates.

But we'll see.
I never said he was definitely going to be a bust, I showcased some legitimate issues, which the competition he played was a major one. It is why Coach Cal even though he plays in the SEC tries to ramp up the non-conference.

Exact words at the end are what I have said we'll see.

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #152
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4YH3M1 View Post
Its the NBA Properties arm of the business that screwed us all for deciding to go with an exclusive licence.

And yes, Panini has screwed us all.

Feel sorry for the NFL collectors, next year they will come to terms with what its like under a Panini NFL exclusive.

Us NBA collectors have had 6 years to deal with this crap.

Panini NBA exclusive contract ends after the 2016/17 season.
Probably will be renewed as Topps wants out of Sports except for Soccer and Baseball.

NBA has done the screwing no one else.

They wanted exclusive. They want 40 products by 2020.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #153
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
Topps and UpperDeck were actually pushing the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB to adopt exclusives so they could "better serve" fans and customers while making the leagues and companies more money.
And the leagues rejected in 2004-2006, as UD wanted it around the LeBron Dwight time.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #154
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
he's never going to be lebron, but there is plenty to say he will be a beast, he's already been one.

he's probably more along the lines of a blake griffin, than a lebron....... lebron is a once in a generation type of player, to me ben simmons is not, but he is an allstar caliber player and still going to be great..........

ingram has a very easy chance of being a very average player in the league, that size makes alot of difference, if your weight isn't right you have to be really really good, I don't think he's that caliber.

not at all saying that simmons is the future of the NBA and the greates of all time, that's what alot of people compare to I guess, if you can't be lebron or better than people don't care?
I compared Lebron as someone else compared him to Lebron so I was using their argument in my counter points.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #155
Qwasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliercards View Post
I compared Lebron as someone else compared him to Lebron so I was using their argument in my counter points.
I know, but the thing is so many people with the debates are basically saying if he's not better than lebron he's not worth talking about. people constitute a bust being anyone that's not the greatest player to ever play the game these days... people expect too much, the general situation of the nba is let's get thru all the games and all the playoffs to watch lebron & curry play because we don't care about nothing else, lol........I really like blake griffin by the way.... among many other players, I just like to see these guys play, don't care if they win it all......
Old 06-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #156
neilfrancis1955

Panini is a joke. Three tears and still waiting on one redemption card.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
neilfrancis1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #157
benz35

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfrancis1955 View Post
Panini is a joke. Three tears and still waiting on one redemption card.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
get a replacement, contact them
benz35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #158
hairyharold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz35 View Post
get a replacement, contact them
yea they do replace but cmon, you make a product and put a card down as part of the product but it doesnt exist and never will. that isn't disgraceful to you?
hairyharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #159
k13

Quote:
Its the NBA Properties arm of the business that screwed us all for deciding to go with an exclusive licence.

Feel sorry for the NFL collectors, next year they will come to terms with what its like under a Panini NFL exclusive.

Funny how in soccer everyone loves panini and hates Topps. ..

Topps is mostly garbage in everything...
But has a sheep following...
Make a million sets in baseball and people eat it up. ..while panini does the same and everyone cries...except Topps is 99% ugly #@#@#@#@ and panini is 95% ugly #@#@#@#@ .
k13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #160
byronscott4ever

If Panini is smart, they'll have NBA draft autographs out early so that a UD airbrush set isn't desirable. Otherwise, UD can anchor a draft set with Simmons and others
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #161
TungTLe

Quote:

Does anyone know if they are or already renewed?
Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #162
blinkme323

Quote:
How did Simmons do outside the paint area shooting?

Ingram dominates him outside the paint area in shooting percentage.

Ingram better FT Shooter

Ingram 22 more Blocks than Simmons

SOS for Ingram was much harder than Simmons in doing this.

Simmons won't be able to drive to the basket as easily and get the easy hoops like he did in the SEC, he will have to learn to shoot a higher percentage outside of the paint.

Ingram comes in as a shooter that needs to refine his game and be able to deal with the wear and tear of the NBA.

Personally, I like Ingram, but Simmons is what if what if what. If he does this and if he does that, then yes he can become a good player, but he has some huge question marks that his time at LSU did not answer.
And Ingram at 190 pounds is going to be able to do what exactly? Simmons is going to run away with ROY, book it.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #163
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
And Ingram at 190 pounds is going to be able to do what exactly? Simmons is going to run away with ROY, book it.
He might, Ingram might be Durant 2.0. Simmons may be Griffin without a PG, both may flop and Thon may become the next great thing, who knows.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #164
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyharold View Post
yea they do replace but cmon, you make a product and put a card down as part of the product but it doesnt exist and never will. that isn't disgraceful to you?
Same thing Topps and UD does too.

All of the companies should just put no redemptions in product if they don't have a guy in time make an update product once a year with the late cards.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #165
Tarheelsfan2012

In a way I'm glad UD was able to get Simmons to an exclusive deal. I was upset a few years ago when Panini tried signing all draft picks to exclusive deals because I really wanted some rookie autos of Barnes and Henson in UNC gear. I strongly believe the NBA should do away with the exclusive license because competition would be a great thing for both companies.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #166
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelsfan2012 View Post
In a way I'm glad UD was able to get Simmons to an exclusive deal. I was upset a few years ago when Panini tried signing all draft picks to exclusive deals because I really wanted some rookie autos of Barnes and Henson in UNC gear. I strongly believe the NBA should do away with the exclusive license because competition would be a great thing for both companies.
There is a reason you do not see as many active players signing with UD as they do with Panini. Even if the exclusive was done away with the NBAPA issues a warning like a travel alert to their members about UD.

I rather see Topps come into the fold if there is no exclusive, but they want out of sports as much as they can except for Baseball and Soccer, and UD can not put up the basic licensing fee for the NBA or the NCAA.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #167
Bigalloyd13

And the plott thickens
Old 06-27-2016, 03:52 AM   #168
Andy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungTLe View Post
Does anyone know if they are or already renewed?
Expect it to happen soon.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #169
Kosmo Kards

As much as I'd love to see UD become the exclusive for hoops, they just don't have the money for it. I wish they would've gotten it back in 2009 because Panini has killed Kobe AUTO's and the cost of boxes/cases are exploded.

Although I might be assuming that if UD had exclusivity that prices that prices would've been high, but not insane. Plus UD did a good job of limiting Kobe/Jordan/LBJ AUTO's and even guys like Bird/Magic/Ewing.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #170
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
Funny how in soccer everyone loves panini and hates Topps. ..

Topps is mostly garbage in everything...
But has a sheep following...
Make a million sets in baseball and people eat it up. ..while panini does the same and everyone cries...except Topps is 99% ugly #@#@#@#@ and panini is 95% ugly #@#@#@#@ .
Totally agree. Panini > Topps on soccer though. Topps had a great product the first year of Premier Gold. Next year, they drop a good amount of the big name signers, increase the amount of plain color jerseys, and charge the same price. It's all been downhill since then. I give Panini props for getting some of the big names to sign for their soccer products and Flawless is pretty amazing considering it's all on-card and they had to probably go all over the world to get those signed.

Regardless, for every Flawless soccer, there is a Flawless NFL. Overpriced, low level players, and fake patches. Panini, Topps, and Upper Deck are all the same garbage with the only difference being their bankroll.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #171
paulgeorge13

UD needs to sign with NBA again. These college jersey cards are garbage. I wont go near them with a 20 foot pole.
paulgeorge13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #172
Yaga

When do we find out if UD is back in the game?
Yaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #173
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaga View Post
When do we find out if UD is back in the game?
When/If they or Panini or NBA makes an announcement.

Their product line will have as many as Panini's across the price points and still flood the market as per the license deals.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #174
xavieronly1

Didn't Panini just renew the license until 2020?

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #175
byronscott4ever

Quote:
When/If they or Panini or NBA makes an announcement.

Their product line will have as many as Panini's across the price points and still flood the market as per the license deals.
And I bet if roles reverse, Panini will sign someone to an exclusive to keep them away from UD.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote