Blowout Cards Forums
Ben Simmons

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
chipmaster

Default RG3 - Sell NOW or continue to HOLD?

He's at higher levels then he's been in a year or two.

Sell now or HOLD with the hopes that he actually does something this year or doesn't get injured?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Braswell10

Hold. He will have a decent season.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Aays06

Sell he's a brown.
Aays06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
imbaked247

If you bought when prices were high then I say you have to hold out hope for his prices to go up some more to lessen the blow. If you bought when he was dirt cheap and can turn a profit sell sell sell!
imbaked247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
xbignick

Depends on what you're in for, I would sell. I could see some RGIII->Gordon weeks providing some spikes but not like they're going to hold long-term.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
chipmaster

Let's just say I paid $950 for a Chrome Gold/10 and $750 for a Finest Atomic Red /10, and have many more stories like this.

If I could get 50% or more back I would be ecstatic at this point. Probably should sell.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
ILOVEBEER

Browns have two 1st Round picks next year. Chances are they will be top 5 picks. Very well could take a QB. RG3 could be gone after two years. But, this football and all it takes is a few games.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
BoxBreaker72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aays06 View Post
Sell he's a brown.
/Thread
BoxBreaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #9
Gustomania

Sell doesn't matter where prices are if they go down, I think hes burned his collecting bridges already and people won't be duped again.....there's safer investments that's for sure

Just my 2 cents....

1957 Johnny Unitas - 1958 Jimmy Brown - 1976 Walter Payton - 1981 Joe Montana/1986 Jerry Rice
Gustomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
chipmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustomania;11273578[B
]Sell doesn't matter where prices are if they go down[/B], I think hes burned his collecting bridges already and people won't be duped again.....there's safer investments that's for sure

Just my 2 cents....
Kind of what I've been thinking. They were worthless 6 months ago, now they have some value again, but could soon enough be worthless again.

Probably heading off to eBay.

The positive on this is I'd take a loss on every one of them, so there should be little if any taxes owed
Old 08-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
DJCollector1

I think the "high upside" may be gone from the realm of RGIII.

But then again, everything that I ever read about him was that he was essentially in the doghouse.
Can we all remember he had a bunch of games where he looked "at least" semi-exciting?
His confidence certainly has deteriorated, and I can't blame the guy, its as if the organization as a whole just gave up on him.

Has his skills just evaporated into thin air?
Maybe they declined some, but you have to think with a decent system built around him, he may well still succeed....at least a little and win some games.
Will his cards be the next Andrew Lucks or Bradys? NOT. We all know that.

But then again, imagine what say 2-3 good games under Hue Jackson would do to the value of his cards.
Their first 3 weeks are vs. the Eagles, Ravens and Dolphins.
Now, I'm not saying they win the first three. But if they happen to win say 2 of those 3 I think I might be happy I sat on some of his cards and would be looking to unload at that point.

I guess what I am saying is that if you believe he is still a train wreck and in a bad spot to succeed, I get it.

But this is a scenario where I couldn't blame you for holding, OR if you wanted to "cut your losses" and dumped them right as the season started I couldn't fault that either.

I PC - DAVID JOHNSON, ROBERTO CLEMENTE, MICKEY MANTLE
https://djcollector.imgur.com/
DJCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
roro17

sell....3 years ago
Old 08-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #13
bewareof94

Probably should list them 30 days for a high BIN/BO and hope for some solid starts/numbers during the preseason that get attention and drive a little hype for him. Then hope someone makes a decent offer - there will always be demand for rare Chrome autos, but like you said, getting half of what you have in at this point would be awesome
Old 08-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #14
mike1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post

But then again, everything that I ever read about him was that he was essentially in the doghouse.
Can we all remember he had a bunch of games where he looked "at least" semi-exciting?
His confidence certainly has deteriorated, and I can't blame the guy, its as if the organization as a whole just gave up on him.

Maybe they declined some, but you have to think with a decent system built around him, he may well still succeed....at least a little and win some games.

But then again, imagine what say 2-3 good games under Hue Jackson would do to the value of his cards.
Now, I'm not saying they win the first three. But if they happen to win say 2 of those 3 I think I might be happy I sat on some of his cards and would be looking to unload at that point.

I guess what I am saying is that if you believe he is still a train wreck and in a bad spot to succeed, I get it.

But this is a scenario where I couldn't blame you for holding, OR if you wanted to "cut your losses" and dumped them right as the season started I couldn't fault that either.

This was actually a really smart post. I origonally was going to post just "sell" but I like where hes going with this also
mike1498 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
majestik101

I agree with those who say hold. Hue Jackson is not going to clown RG III the same way that Gruden/Shanahan/Dan Snyder did. Plus I think he benefits from the change in environment, and reuniting with top WR Josh Gordon doesn't hurt either. Of course this is all on the caveat that he stays healthy. That's the big question isn't it?

PC - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Anaheim Angels - Auburn - Notre Dame
majestik101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #16
cadillac540

Let's be real here... This is going to be a 2-14 team. Cut your losses.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #17
asujbl

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

HOLD

If (and I realize it's a big if) Josh Gordon decides he wants to stop being an idiot? Gordon/Coleman/Pryor/Barnidge/Johnson is a very legit group of offensive weapons.

If RG3 can't put up some stats with that? Then he's a loss cause.

Might as well hang on a little while longer
Old 08-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #18
bewareof94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1498 View Post
This was actually a really smart post. I origonally was going to post just "sell" but I like where hes going with this also
The problem is that he's somewhat injury prone and has never played a full 16-game season (not to mention his knee has been reconstructed multiple times), and the year where he had the most success came in 2012 when Mike & Kyle Shanahan designed a custom offense to fit him and his skillset when he was willing to run the read option and be somewhat of a running quarterback.

In a traditional drop-back offense, he's awful. He stares down receivers, can't make reads, can't read the defense pre-snap or decipher where pressure is coming from and has terrible pocket presence. He's got a great arm and throws a great deep ball, but unfortunately he lacks a lot of skills needed to be a successful starting QB.

I'm not saying this because I'm some sort of "hater", nor am I trying to start an argument, but he has not been the same dynamic, dual-threat QB after his rookie year and has shown very little growth since then.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #19
rittdk01

Look for a flux capacitor
Old 08-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #20
nabzy28

Tim Couch, Ty Detmer, Doug Pederson, Spergon Wynn, Kelly Holcomb, Jeff Garcia, Luke McCown, Trent Dilfer, Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson, Ken Dorsey, Brady Quinn, Bruce Gradkowski, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, Brandon Weeden, Thaddeus Lewis, Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer, Johnny Manziel, Connor Shaw, Josh McCown, Austin Davis,

Next up: Robert Griffin III.

Sell, and don't look back.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:35 PM   #21
DJCollector1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareof94 View Post
The problem is that he's somewhat injury prone and has never played a full 16-game season (not to mention his knee has been reconstructed multiple times), and the year where he had the most success came in 2012 when Mike & Kyle Shanahan designed a custom offense to fit him and his skillset when he was willing to run the read option and be somewhat of a running quarterback.

In a traditional drop-back offense, he's awful. He stares down receivers, can't make reads, can't read the defense pre-snap or decipher where pressure is coming from and has terrible pocket presence. He's got a great arm and throws a great deep ball, but unfortunately he lacks a lot of skills needed to be a successful starting QB.

I'm not saying this because I'm some sort of "hater", nor am I trying to start an argument, but he has not been the same dynamic, dual-threat QB after his rookie year and has shown very little growth since then.
I agree with much of this.
But we just can't say "sell based on injury risk or injury history", because if thats the case, then logically he should have sold his cards long ago, correct?

I think part of the reason I am saying hold (though like I mentioned before, if he sold I really couldn't blame him) but there is one small difference this go around.
Or at least a glimmer of hope.
I believe that he has "just as good a chance" under Hue Jackson than the majority of what he has played under.

Now, I don't follow his cards, nor his values.
But judging from what everyone here has said, the cards value has been in the toilet for some time now, right?
If thats the case, how much further down are they going to go from here..?
Are we saying his cardboard has seen a 20% jump recently because he may get another chance?
If they have rebounded by 20% in the last few weeks, then by all means I say sell, IF you think he has no chance of success.

Like I say, I have no idea what they are selling for in relation to say, 6 months ago.
If they are up a fair chunk, then part ways.
If not, exactly how much more are the card owners going to lose by taking a chance on a few wins early season?

I PC - DAVID JOHNSON, ROBERTO CLEMENTE, MICKEY MANTLE
https://djcollector.imgur.com/
DJCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
bkz81

Hue Jackson worked miracles with the offense in Oakland. Barring injury, his value will go up.
bkz81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #23
Qwasian

I'd say sell, it's a possibility that he will have a few flashes and maybe people will go crazy for a week or two, but it's much more likely that he wont.

the thing about RGIII is all of his ability came from his mobility and he doesn't have the durability to do it in the NFL, people and crunching him up when he runs. I'd say it's almost inevitable that he is hurt again in the very near future, he's just going to get hit too much. It's going to be tough for him to be amazing because he's not going to be able to run all over the place, that's what made him great, he never was a pocket passer.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #24
chipmaster

Started scanning them all for better or worse. Is he extremely talented? Look at 2012, or course he is, but not sure that lightning in a bottle will exist again. I myself, don't have much faith in him. He needs an OL, and I'm not sure Cleveland has one that can protect him being he isn't a "scrambler" anymore- That's really what scares me more than anything. He's one major injury away from flipping burgers IMO.

Decisions decisions

Last edited by chipmaster; 08-15-2016 at 11:15 PM.
chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:07 PM   #25
Braswell10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
Started scanning them all for better or worse. Is he extremely talented? Look at 2012, or course he is, but not sure that lightning in a bottle will exist again. I myself, don't have much faith in him. He needs an OL, and I'm not sure Cleveland has one that can protect him being he isn't a "scrambler" anymore- That's really what scares me more than anything. He's one major injury away from flipping burgers IMO.

Decisions decisions
I would still hold. His prices wont really move unless he does well. The only reason his prices have went up is because he is named the starter.