Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #26
marl1220

Didn't we use to have a non-auto'd refractor thread?
marl1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:15 AM   #27
crazy4kinsler

I stopped collecting relics long ago after it was determined that most of them weren't authentic or whatever. As for autos, my Texas Rangers PC is all base (no inserts, no #d, unless it's a #d base, no parallels, refractors autos or GUd). I'm trying to build a master base set.

Also, I only have about 6 or so autos in my other 2 PCs (Tyrell Jenkins and Rickey Dudley). Other than that, I just collect vintage, so no autos or GUd.
crazy4kinsler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 AM   #28
Bhenry4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marl1220 View Post
Didn't we use to have a non-auto'd refractor thread?
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...uto-color.html
Old 08-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #29
Natitude

Thanks for all the insights! There are so many ways to collect and that's why I love this hobby. I'll probably wait to unload my Harper autos until he gets hot again.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #30
Kobe101

I just started doing baseball this year and have only been buying Topps Heritage (mostly variations) and trying to complete the 2016 set.

And I also have been buying other Topps Variations & Shorts Prints.

Have really enjoyed doing this coming from basketball.

I love the topps heritage brand I wish basketball had something comparable (even a base topps set).
Kobe101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #31
awz50

I only collect autos of my two PC guys...

I mean who would not want 100+ Miley autos?
Still a Wade Miley Supercollector, I still do not know why
awz50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #32
ryanvas

I do collect a few PC players on card autos (strawberry & gooden). I have been getting into 90s inserts, as I collected from 1989 to 1996, then got back in around 2005. I have tried vintage and love the look, but just don't have any connection to those players so I haven't been able to really get into vintage. I love Heritage (the old look with players that I follow) - did the 2015 High Number Master Set, Chrome/Chrome Ref/Purple Chrome/Black Chrome sets and 2016 Master Set.
ryanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #33
JWBlue

I always thought numbered cards less than 100 without autographs were undervalued.
JWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #34
Qwasian

I have some auto's but not really in my collection, just some stuff left over from when I bought cases.

I don't collect auto's at all, I mainly collect graded rookies, inserts, etc of players I like, no particular team affiliation.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #35
Bhenry4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanvas View Post
I do collect a few PC players on card autos (strawberry & gooden). I have been getting into 90s inserts, as I collected from 1989 to 1996, then got back in around 2005. I have tried vintage and love the look, but just don't have any connection to those players so I haven't been able to really get into vintage. I love Heritage (the old look with players that I follow) - did the 2015 High Number Master Set, Chrome/Chrome Ref/Purple Chrome/Black Chrome sets and 2016 Master Set.
It is kind of tough. I'm a huge Brooks fan, and I love my collection. However, it's not easy to get excited about it when he's not playing.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #36
CCSportsCards

I do for football. Only collect 2 guys and I have one patch in my pc. No autos
CCSportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:40 PM   #37
base set

I do collect certain "auto" cards that catch my eye. Far and away my very favorite of these cards is this one:

[IMG]
1982 Topps #299 - Steve Trout
Courtesy of COMC.com[/IMG]

Coming in a distant second:

[IMG]
2008 Topps Trading Card History #TCH28 - Chin-Lung Hu
Courtesy of COMC.com[/IMG]

I'm not quite sure I'll ever find 7 more cards good enough to put on a binder page with those however. But I'm always looking.

Steve Trout does have an actual auto card I learned, I might have a moment of weakness and end up buying that some day.
base set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #38
Turnitin2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyjg13 View Post
In cases like this, it's best just to buy the main Kris Bryant/Correa/Harper/Trout/etc autos since the rest will be "just another" auto. Just get the main ones and move on
How do we know which the "main autos" are? Rookie cards?
Turnitin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #39
Hallco

#noautos4hallco
Hallco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:21 AM   #40
rainbowkiller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnitin2004 View Post
How do we know which the "main autos" are? Rookie cards?
Q: Why Topps doesn't put vet base card autos in Topps/Topps Chrome/Bowman/Bowman Chrome?

A: Because it would reduce the importance of pre-RCs/RCs.

Topps playing people for fools....

When sales begin to slump, they'll have vet base card autos in every product.
rainbowkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:20 AM   #41
Turnitin2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowkiller View Post
Q: Why Topps doesn't put vet base card autos in Topps/Topps Chrome/Bowman/Bowman Chrome?

Why would base card autos bring down the RC autos, but the color autos dont? Especially if people are deciding the RC autos or pre rc are the "main card"
Turnitin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #42
bounty37h

I have been focusing more on autographs and getting away from cards in the last couple years. Running out of room for so many cards, and don't care about (fake) memorabilia cards, parallels, refractors etc one bit. I prob have tons of those that I didn't even realize sitting in boxes, just don't have interest in them beyond them being a baseball card. The fact you have to research so many releases to even see if they are a standard base or some parallel makes me lose interest. I don't care about a jersey card-hated them when they were real and cut up a good jersey, and hate em even more when its some Wal-Mart jersey that means nothing.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #43
Natitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
I have been focusing more on autographs and getting away from cards in the last couple years. Running out of room for so many cards, and don't care about (fake) memorabilia cards, parallels, refractors etc one bit. I prob have tons of those that I didn't even realize sitting in boxes, just don't have interest in them beyond them being a baseball card. The fact you have to research so many releases to even see if they are a standard base or some parallel makes me lose interest. I don't care about a jersey card-hated them when they were real and cut up a good jersey, and hate em even more when its some Wal-Mart jersey that means nothing.
This is a good take. I'm the opposite though, I love researching releases, especially going back to older releases from when I wasn't collecting and seeing what's out there that may catch my eye.

I guess one reason I'm thinking of going to a non-auto'd collection is that it would be a little bit cheaper, especially since Bryce Harper is one of my guys. His non-auto'd SP and parallels, especially from Heritage, are still pretty expensive, but when compared to a SP or parallel of an autographed card of his, it's still cheaper.

I know some collectors aren't fans of the "manufactured" rarity like SPs and parallels, but it's the reality of modern collecting and just only one aspect of the hobby. Personally if I had a choice of a base heritage card or say the "red back" version, I want the "red back".
Old 08-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #44
RossOK

This is the " I don't even own a tv" of collecting.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #45
rkuhn3

Quote:
Originally Posted by base set View Post
I don't collect autos on purpose though even that thought gets subverted by their ubiquity. I do collect image variations of 2013 Topps so I am half-heartedly working on the Chrome autos from that year. Not sure I will ever pony up for the Machado though.

And I do like to rip wax so I end up with autos anyway. This has yielded 3 Anthony Rizzo autos, which is nice, and I will get around to moving those some day. I also really like the Doc Gooden I pulled, I will just always keep that one.

Also kinda neat is having two Koji Uehara autos, I like them but I should probably investigate the Japanese market for those.

Far less interesting are Kelvin Herrera, Billy Butler, Jason Kipnis and Willy Peralta autos I also own but have to wonder if I will ever feel it is worth the effort to do something with them.

As a Tigers fan, it was very nice of a couple people to give me Nick Castellanos and Bruce Rondon autos as throw-ins on trades. Those kind of do make me want to collect on-card Tigers autographs........they creep up on you.
I'd like to agree with you but i don't know what "subverted by their ubiquity" means.
rkuhn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #46
Natitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossOK View Post
This is the " I don't even own a tv" of collecting.
Or maybe the "I don't have cable" of collecting.

I actually don't have cable.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #47
bounty37h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natitude View Post
This is a good take. I'm the opposite though, I love researching releases, especially going back to older releases from when I wasn't collecting and seeing what's out there that may catch my eye.

I guess one reason I'm thinking of going to a non-auto'd collection is that it would be a little bit cheaper, especially since Bryce Harper is one of my guys. His non-auto'd SP and parallels, especially from Heritage, are still pretty expensive, but when compared to a SP or parallel of an autographed card of his, it's still cheaper.

I know some collectors aren't fans of the "manufactured" rarity like SPs and parallels, but it's the reality of modern collecting and just only one aspect of the hobby. Personally if I had a choice of a base heritage card or say the "red back" version, I want the "red back".
And that's a good thing about this hobby, there are so many routes, so many options for so many collectors that everyone can find what they like and nobody is right, nobody is wrong as long as they are happy.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #48
rainbowkiller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowkiller View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnitin2004 View Post
Why would base card autos bring down the RC autos, but the color autos dont? Especially if people are deciding the RC autos or pre rc are the "main card"
Topps purposefully doesn't put base autos of vets in their T/TC/B/BC, only in insert sets - if a player had an auto every year in base T/TC/B/BC, their rookie and pre-rookie autos would be less sought after.
rainbowkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #49
abcd1234

Hopefully, we can value cards that are not auto'd ala vintage cards.... But I have a feeling that without production runs, we will never know just how valuable modern non-auto'd cards are unless they are numbered....But even then you got all kinds of variations of low numbered cards...it makes you wonder if anything modern is that valuable relative to vintage cards.
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #50
abcd1234

something is going on when I try to do a quick post...... it takes me to a login screen after submitting and I have to login to proceed. is this normal?
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote