Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #26
marl1220
Member
 
marl1220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,256
Default

Didn't we use to have a non-auto'd refractor thread?
marl1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:15 AM   #27
crazy4kinsler
Member
 
crazy4kinsler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,405
Default

I stopped collecting relics long ago after it was determined that most of them weren't authentic or whatever. As for autos, my Texas Rangers PC is all base (no inserts, no #d, unless it's a #d base, no parallels, refractors autos or GUd). I'm trying to build a master base set.

Also, I only have about 6 or so autos in my other 2 PCs (Tyrell Jenkins and Rickey Dudley). Other than that, I just collect vintage, so no autos or GUd.
__________________
Making the move from modern to vintage.
Website: www.hughescards.weebly.com
Shipping is $3.09 for up to 10 cards or exact shipping for larger lots/sets.
crazy4kinsler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 AM   #28
Bhenry4
Member
 
Bhenry4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charm City
Posts: 13,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marl1220 View Post
Didn't we use to have a non-auto'd refractor thread?
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...uto-color.html
__________________
Life's greatest accomplishment...Blowout's Official Orioles "Face of the Franchise" after crushing the spirit of John Ryno
Bhenry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #29
Natitude
Member
 
Natitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,630
Default

Thanks for all the insights! There are so many ways to collect and that's why I love this hobby. I'll probably wait to unload my Harper autos until he gets hot again.
__________________
PC: Washington Nationals Collector
Natitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #30
Kobe101
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,688
Default

I just started doing baseball this year and have only been buying Topps Heritage (mostly variations) and trying to complete the 2016 set.

And I also have been buying other Topps Variations & Shorts Prints.

Have really enjoyed doing this coming from basketball.

I love the topps heritage brand I wish basketball had something comparable (even a base topps set).
Kobe101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #31
awz50
Member
 
awz50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Hampshire>>>Arizona
Posts: 18,269
Default

I only collect autos of my two PC guys...


I mean who would not want 100+ Miley autos?
__________________
Eduardo Rodriguez Supercollector
Blowouts Official Red Sox face of the franchise
Believe in the Boston Red Sox 2018
Still a Wade Miley Supercollector, I still do not know why
awz50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #32
ryanvas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,926
Default

I do collect a few PC players on card autos (strawberry & gooden). I have been getting into 90s inserts, as I collected from 1989 to 1996, then got back in around 2005. I have tried vintage and love the look, but just don't have any connection to those players so I haven't been able to really get into vintage. I love Heritage (the old look with players that I follow) - did the 2015 High Number Master Set, Chrome/Chrome Ref/Purple Chrome/Black Chrome sets and 2016 Master Set.
ryanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #33
JWBlue
Member
 
JWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,653
Default

I always thought numbered cards less than 100 without autographs were undervalued.
JWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #34
Qwasian
Member
 
Qwasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 11,643
Default

I have some auto's but not really in my collection, just some stuff left over from when I bought cases.

I don't collect auto's at all, I mainly collect graded rookies, inserts, etc of players I like, no particular team affiliation.
__________________
buying Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Amari Cooper, Todd Gurley, Odell Beckham Jr. and Star Player RC bgs slabs.
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #35
Bhenry4
Member
 
Bhenry4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charm City
Posts: 13,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanvas View Post
I do collect a few PC players on card autos (strawberry & gooden). I have been getting into 90s inserts, as I collected from 1989 to 1996, then got back in around 2005. I have tried vintage and love the look, but just don't have any connection to those players so I haven't been able to really get into vintage. I love Heritage (the old look with players that I follow) - did the 2015 High Number Master Set, Chrome/Chrome Ref/Purple Chrome/Black Chrome sets and 2016 Master Set.
It is kind of tough. I'm a huge Brooks fan, and I love my collection. However, it's not easy to get excited about it when he's not playing.
__________________
Life's greatest accomplishment...Blowout's Official Orioles "Face of the Franchise" after crushing the spirit of John Ryno
Bhenry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #36
CCSportsCards
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Federal Way, WA
Posts: 2,240
Default

I do for football. Only collect 2 guys and I have one patch in my pc. No autos
CCSportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:40 PM   #37
base set
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NW Michigan
Posts: 3,248
Default

I do collect certain "auto" cards that catch my eye. Far and away my very favorite of these cards is this one:

[IMG]
1982 Topps #299 - Steve Trout
Courtesy of COMC.com[/IMG]

Coming in a distant second:

[IMG]
2008 Topps Trading Card History #TCH28 - Chin-Lung Hu
Courtesy of COMC.com[/IMG]



I'm not quite sure I'll ever find 7 more cards good enough to put on a binder page with those however. But I'm always looking.

Steve Trout does have an actual auto card I learned, I might have a moment of weakness and end up buying that some day.
base set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #38
Turnitin2004
Member
 
Turnitin2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyjg13 View Post
In cases like this, it's best just to buy the main Kris Bryant/Correa/Harper/Trout/etc autos since the rest will be "just another" auto. Just get the main ones and move on
How do we know which the "main autos" are? Rookie cards?
Turnitin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #39
Hallco
Member
 
Hallco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,939
Default

#noautos4hallco
Hallco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:21 AM   #40
rainbowkiller
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnitin2004 View Post
How do we know which the "main autos" are? Rookie cards?
Q: Why Topps doesn't put vet base card autos in Topps/Topps Chrome/Bowman/Bowman Chrome?

A: Because it would reduce the importance of pre-RCs/RCs.

Topps playing people for fools....

When sales begin to slump, they'll have vet base card autos in every product.
rainbowkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:20 AM   #41
Turnitin2004
Member
 
Turnitin2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowkiller View Post
Q: Why Topps doesn't put vet base card autos in Topps/Topps Chrome/Bowman/Bowman Chrome?

A: Because it would reduce the importance of pre-RCs/RCs.

Topps playing people for fools....

When sales begin to slump, they'll have vet base card autos in every product.
Why would base card autos bring down the RC autos, but the color autos dont? Especially if people are deciding the RC autos or pre rc are the "main card"
Turnitin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #42
bounty37h
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Cackalacky
Posts: 733
Default

I have been focusing more on autographs and getting away from cards in the last couple years. Running out of room for so many cards, and don't care about (fake) memorabilia cards, parallels, refractors etc one bit. I prob have tons of those that I didn't even realize sitting in boxes, just don't have interest in them beyond them being a baseball card. The fact you have to research so many releases to even see if they are a standard base or some parallel makes me lose interest. I don't care about a jersey card-hated them when they were real and cut up a good jersey, and hate em even more when its some Wal-Mart jersey that means nothing.
__________________
Looking for UNC and Reds cards/autos/memorabilia. Go Heels Go Reds
bounty37h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #43
Natitude
Member
 
Natitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
I have been focusing more on autographs and getting away from cards in the last couple years. Running out of room for so many cards, and don't care about (fake) memorabilia cards, parallels, refractors etc one bit. I prob have tons of those that I didn't even realize sitting in boxes, just don't have interest in them beyond them being a baseball card. The fact you have to research so many releases to even see if they are a standard base or some parallel makes me lose interest. I don't care about a jersey card-hated them when they were real and cut up a good jersey, and hate em even more when its some Wal-Mart jersey that means nothing.
This is a good take. I'm the opposite though, I love researching releases, especially going back to older releases from when I wasn't collecting and seeing what's out there that may catch my eye.

I guess one reason I'm thinking of going to a non-auto'd collection is that it would be a little bit cheaper, especially since Bryce Harper is one of my guys. His non-auto'd SP and parallels, especially from Heritage, are still pretty expensive, but when compared to a SP or parallel of an autographed card of his, it's still cheaper.

I know some collectors aren't fans of the "manufactured" rarity like SPs and parallels, but it's the reality of modern collecting and just only one aspect of the hobby. Personally if I had a choice of a base heritage card or say the "red back" version, I want the "red back".
__________________
PC: Washington Nationals Collector
Natitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #44
RossOK
Member
 
RossOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,204
Default

This is the " I don't even own a tv" of collecting.
__________________
Brandons, Buster and Bum
RossOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #45
rkuhn3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by base set View Post
I don't collect autos on purpose though even that thought gets subverted by their ubiquity. I do collect image variations of 2013 Topps so I am half-heartedly working on the Chrome autos from that year. Not sure I will ever pony up for the Machado though.

And I do like to rip wax so I end up with autos anyway. This has yielded 3 Anthony Rizzo autos, which is nice, and I will get around to moving those some day. I also really like the Doc Gooden I pulled, I will just always keep that one.

Also kinda neat is having two Koji Uehara autos, I like them but I should probably investigate the Japanese market for those.

Far less interesting are Kelvin Herrera, Billy Butler, Jason Kipnis and Willy Peralta autos I also own but have to wonder if I will ever feel it is worth the effort to do something with them.

As a Tigers fan, it was very nice of a couple people to give me Nick Castellanos and Bruce Rondon autos as throw-ins on trades. Those kind of do make me want to collect on-card Tigers autographs........they creep up on you.
I'd like to agree with you but i don't know what "subverted by their ubiquity" means.
rkuhn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #46
Natitude
Member
 
Natitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossOK View Post
This is the " I don't even own a tv" of collecting.
Or maybe the "I don't have cable" of collecting.

I actually don't have cable.
__________________
PC: Washington Nationals Collector
Natitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #47
bounty37h
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Cackalacky
Posts: 733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natitude View Post
This is a good take. I'm the opposite though, I love researching releases, especially going back to older releases from when I wasn't collecting and seeing what's out there that may catch my eye.

I guess one reason I'm thinking of going to a non-auto'd collection is that it would be a little bit cheaper, especially since Bryce Harper is one of my guys. His non-auto'd SP and parallels, especially from Heritage, are still pretty expensive, but when compared to a SP or parallel of an autographed card of his, it's still cheaper.

I know some collectors aren't fans of the "manufactured" rarity like SPs and parallels, but it's the reality of modern collecting and just only one aspect of the hobby. Personally if I had a choice of a base heritage card or say the "red back" version, I want the "red back".
And that's a good thing about this hobby, there are so many routes, so many options for so many collectors that everyone can find what they like and nobody is right, nobody is wrong as long as they are happy.
__________________
Looking for UNC and Reds cards/autos/memorabilia. Go Heels Go Reds
bounty37h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #48
rainbowkiller
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowkiller View Post
Q: Why Topps doesn't put vet base card autos in Topps/Topps Chrome/Bowman/Bowman Chrome?

A: Because it would reduce the importance of pre-RCs/RCs.

Topps playing people for fools....

When sales begin to slump, they'll have vet base card autos in every product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnitin2004 View Post
Why would base card autos bring down the RC autos, but the color autos dont? Especially if people are deciding the RC autos or pre rc are the "main card"
Topps purposefully doesn't put base autos of vets in their T/TC/B/BC, only in insert sets - if a player had an auto every year in base T/TC/B/BC, their rookie and pre-rookie autos would be less sought after.
rainbowkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #49
abcd1234
Member
 
abcd1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The South
Posts: 531
Default

Hopefully, we can value cards that are not auto'd ala vintage cards.... But I have a feeling that without production runs, we will never know just how valuable modern non-auto'd cards are unless they are numbered....But even then you got all kinds of variations of low numbered cards...it makes you wonder if anything modern is that valuable relative to vintage cards.
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #50
abcd1234
Member
 
abcd1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The South
Posts: 531
Default

something is going on when I try to do a quick post...... it takes me to a login screen after submitting and I have to login to proceed. is this normal?
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.