Blowout Cards Forums
blowout specials

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
NoleinJax

Default Conley Signs Richest Deal in History....WHAT!!!!

The apocalypse has arrived. He's a very good player, but $30.6 million per year average for 5 years? WOW. You won't be seeing these guys on the autograph circuit in 30 years because they could use some extra $$. Wilt is rolling in his grave. Now I see why old timers are so salty. lol
NoleinJax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
bballcollector

Dumbest contract ever.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
ninjacookies

It's scary what elite NBA players could have made back in the 90's if they were given the same respective % of profits. Owners have been the real winners the past few decades.

I'm thinking AD is kicking himself for signing early. He just got severely outpayed by an upper mid tier PG.
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
Qwasian

are we about to see kobe give it one more try? lol..........
Old 07-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
Kefka891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
are we about to see kobe give it one more try? lol..........

Yes, since he's so broke and desperately needs money.
Kefka891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
NoleinJax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
It's scary what elite NBA players could have made back in the 90's if they were given the same respective % of profits. Owners have been the real winners the past few decades.

I'm thinking AD is kicking himself for signing early. He just got severely outpayed by an upper mid tier PG.
AD is so young. They will probably re-do his deal after 3 years and even if they don't he'll be 28 when his contract is up and should be in his basketball prime and if he stays healthy and wants to play can easily earn another $300+ million for the rest of his career. But to think only 2 guys have ever earned $30 million in a season (Jordan & Kobe) and now Mike Conley is going to average that for 5. I almost feel stupid collecting cards and autographs of super rich people. Almost. lol
NoleinJax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #7
Mongol
Banned - PBM

Seems like a lot,of course it is, but any idea how much the owners are banking of the new tv deal?

I feel bad for the sucker that paid Parsons, the most over rated garbage free agent.

People keep talking as if they are cutting the check and the owners laugh and love the criticism players get.
Mongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
hychang5

Just saw this tweet:
The Warriors will pay Curry, Green and Thompson 44.1 million next season

The Grizzlies will pay Conley Jr and Parsons 48.8 million

Oh to be a half decent free agent right now!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #9
tjforce

Conley has never even been an All-Star.

Let that sink in for a second.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
jhileman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleinJax View Post
The apocalypse has arrived. He's a very good player, but $30.6 million per year average for 5 years? WOW. You won't be seeing these guys on the autograph circuit in 30 years because they could use some extra $$. Wilt is rolling in his grave. Now I see why old timers are so salty. lol

I live in Memphis and I think Conley is worth every penny! He is not only a great basketball player he is also a great teammate. For all the things he does for the city and what Grizzlies mean to Memphis there is no way the Higher Ups would let him leave.
jhileman79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #11
Archangel1775

Is this guy the next Kobe? Honestly, I dont know who this guy is.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #12
vinsanity15

I can't believe some of these contracts now it crazy. Honestly Lebron worth 5 years 500 million then. These contract are nuts. Solomon hill 4 years 48 mill this is a freaking joke now wow.
vinsanity15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #13
CaseBreak

Been an NBA fan all my life but the insanely dumb contracts that we are starting to see and will continue to see makes it hard to justify watching. I think back to the Magic and Jordan days and think about how crazy today's NBA is based on the new contracts.
CaseBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #14
CaseBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhileman79 View Post
I live in Memphis and I think Conley is worth every penny! He is not only a great basketball player he is also a great teammate. For all the things he does for the city and what Grizzlies mean to Memphis there is no way the Higher Ups would let him leave.
Okay.....but for $152 mil. I agree that Lebron should get $100 mil if Conley and the others are getting $25 mil.
CaseBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #15
jhileman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseBreak View Post
Okay.....

Did you not like my opinion?
jhileman79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #16
xavieronly1

Just a few millions more, he would make as much as MJ in 97-98.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #17
rttrffg2012

Every former player is looking at this and saying," I'm better than Conley and he got HOW MUCH?!?"

I just giggle and congratulate Conley.
Remember that if you are implying a player is getting paid too much, you are also implying the owners are underpaid.

It's a 5 billion dollar pie and it's split with players and owners. If the owners don't spend on salary, they keep the money. God forbid they lower prices on tickets or hot dogs.
And let's not forget these stadiums build with tax payer money (Atlanta is asking for $700 mill)
rttrffg2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #18
Mongol
Banned - PBM

The owner of the Grizz is doing this for laughs

Raising the bar for all other owners to pay up. Love it.
Mongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #19
xavieronly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rttrffg2012 View Post
Every former player is looking at this and saying," I'm better than Conley and he got HOW MUCH?!?"
Maybe this is the reason why all the oldies are so mad with today's NBA players.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/xavieronly1/Basketball/Penny%20Hardaway%20PC/
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #20
Skybox

This is pure insanity
Skybox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #21
bkamm1

I have to chime in as Ill put my MC stuff against anyones out there.

"Never been an All Star" - Very true, but in the WC with Curry/Russ/Lillard/CP3 others will always be tough as making it means one of those is left off. You cant make the argument that only All Stars should get max money, with that only a couple guys at each position would get it.

"He Got How Much Compared to The Past" - Obviously this is all salary cap related compared to past years. The MC, others, made xxx more than someone in the past is a dumb argument just based on the cap levels historically

"Insanely Dumb Contracts" These have always been around. someone who didnt deserve it probably got 20% of the teams cap. In 2011 that was $11million, this year 6 years later its $19 million, once again cap inflation makes this really stand out

The owners arent giving up this money, their pockets are lined just as much based on the CBA, and if you dont think the players deserve this pay you are basically saying the owners should keep more of it

For those saying this was a dumb deal (not just here, but all over) I have yet to see anyone offer WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE INSTEAD. Not sign Mike and go after Rajon Rondo? Deron Williams? Jeremy Lin?

OK, joking aside (dont take all that too seriously), Im from Memphis and catch nearly every game, he is the leader of the team, a team that has made the playoffs 6 straight years, a small market team that doesnt exactly attract the big names. He's huge in the community, genuine nice guy, so honestly this was a no brainer from the FO side.

Most importantly whoever has the 2007-08 Exquisite 1/1 needs to come out of hiding and give it up
bkamm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #22
byronscott4ever

It's timing, owners have to spend more money and the players benefit
byronscott4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #23
ka13cards

30 mil a year for a second round exit
Old 07-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #24
roro17

Jordon would be making 50 mil plus a year if he played now.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #25
tennelson55

Conley does run this team and we all know that if the Grizzlies want to keep you, they're going to offer the boat for you.
Looking at previous players you've got gasol who got paid, Allen who got paid and even Zbo got paid. Memphis makes it a point to keep players inside their organization and I do think they've got a good GM/owner combo going.

All that said, this contract is I guess what I expected. When you type it out, it sure seems funky, but it really isn't. Memphis overpays to keep their guys there (because no one is flocking to Memphis to play there) and keep their drafted picks.
130 million to Mike Conley doesn't sound right, but what's crazier is all the other contracts too...
Beal got 125, Lin at 3 for 36??? Jefferson for 3 and 30???? I'd think they'd get more money when comparing rates to conleys, but that's not what the market dictates.

Great sign for Memphis and keeping their players within the organization. You've now had him and gasol on lock for the past few years.
99-00 topps east/west, 04-05 ud black diamond gemography autos, 08-09 topps chrome orange refractors, 09-10 certified, 10-11 donruss cracked ice, 11-12 limited xrc non autos, 12-13 prizm, 12-13 brilliance spellbound letters
tennelson55 is offline   Reply With Quote