Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #526
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
However, my gut says that UD will screw up the epack release by watering it down with a boatload of virtual base cards that can be combined for parallel variants and deviating from the guaranteed 2 sketches per box that make this set “Premier.”
This is incorrect. The e-Pack version of premier will be 100% physical. You can have every card sent to you. It will mirror the hobby release but with the addition of achievement cards.
UpperDeckMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #527
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post
This is incorrect. The e-Pack version of premier will be 100% physical. You can have every card sent to you. It will mirror the hobby release but with the addition of achievement cards.
That is great news! Thank you!
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:01 PM   #528
JRCrosby

Finished artin' this AP.

Question - what size magnetic case fit these thick Premier cards? THANKS!

Old 12-03-2017, 01:03 AM   #529
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
Finished artin' this AP.

Question - what size magnetic case fit these thick Premier cards? THANKS!

wow!
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #530
JRCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
wow!
Thanks!

2017 Premier is thicker than 2014's set which fit the 100pt cases. I bought some 130pt Magnetic Ultra Pro so hoping they fit the thicker stock.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #531
marvelfan2019

It would be nice to get some kind of update on when or if this is going to ever hit ePack...

I've had money set aside for quite a while now. UD is way behind on releasing this and any details would sure be nice to know, especially since it seems UD has a rep on these forums.
marvelfan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #532
JRCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfan2019 View Post
It would be nice to get some kind of update on when or if this is going to ever hit ePack...

I've had money set aside for quite a while now. UD is way behind on releasing this and any details would sure be nice to know, especially since it seems UD has a rep on these forums.
I contacted the AD a few weeks ago and they said no word on epack's release. I'm disappointed as well since all my cards have yet to surface plus I'll finally be paid for all the work.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #533
marvelfan2019

Quote:
I contacted the AD a few weeks ago and they said no word on epack's release. I'm disappointed as well since all my cards have yet to surface plus I'll finally be paid for all the work.
You're sketches are the main reason I set aside money to open a case of this on ePack when it releases

Hopefully I pull one and hopefully MP shows up on ePack before Christmas gets here. It's been too long of wait already.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #534
JRCrosby

Quote:
You're sketches are the main reason I set aside money to open a case of this on ePack when it releases

Hopefully I pull one and hopefully MP shows up on ePack before Christmas gets here. It's been too long of wait already.
I'm sending you good vibes. May you pull all the cards you want!

Thought everyone might like to see how the sausage is made after the Hepner brouhaha.

Loose pencil sketches for the clients to see (which are sent along w/ the final card), pencil, inks, markers and paints. MAGIC!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #535
jadams

Quote:
They still haven't paid you?

That's criminal.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:04 PM   #536
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
They still haven't paid you?

That's criminal.
Seriously, what does the epack release have to do with anything...
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #537
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:

I've been told the current release window of the ePack version of Premier is around Jan/Feb time frame. There are certain milestones that need to be reached prior to any ePack launch. Once those milestones occur, we can finalize a timeline down to a release date.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #538
Carrbeaz

Quote:
I've been told the current release window of the ePack version of Premier is around Jan/Feb time frame. There are certain milestones that need to be reached prior to any ePack launch. Once those milestones occur, we can finalize a timeline down to a release date.
Is there a reason UD hasn't paid an artist for their work?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #539
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Is there a reason UD hasn't paid an artist for their work?
I have no direct insight in regards to the status of artists payments regarding sketch cards. And even if I did, I would not discuss them in a public forum.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #540
rudzud

Quote:
I have no direct insight in regards to the status of artists payments regarding sketch cards. And even if I did, I would not discuss them in a public forum.
That is an excellent answer.
rudzud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #541
marvelfan2019

Quote:
What exactly are these milestones?

We are approaching 5 months from release date, this should have already hit ePack months ago right?

If the release date is really February, then that's disappointing Hell why not just push it back to July then and make us wait a full year
Old 12-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #542
mf1971999

It could be lots of things, and most if not all will be contractual and something they are not going to publicly disclose. Some possibilities:

1. Certain percentage of inventory at the biggest distributors sold (to ensure ePack doesn't stick them with inventory - cash flow is king) I dont know enough about the distribution channels to know how easily this could be tracked.

2. Sales of their own physical inventory. It's possible UD hasn't sold out of the physical cases and needs to move them into the distribution channel before they open ePacks for the same reason as above, it would risk their physical inventory sitting there for a longer period of time as ePacks could conceivable satisfy all of the remaining demand for this set.

3. Simple time requirement from the licensor, Marvel. Release windows are not at all uncommon - my company sees them all the time with licensed products. With the rise of ePacks it is conceivable that they are treated as different released in the license agreement.

Just some armchair guesses.
mf1971999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #543
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1971999 View Post
It could be lots of things, and most if not all will be contractual and something they are not going to publicly disclose. Some possibilities:

1. Certain percentage of inventory at the biggest distributors sold (to ensure ePack doesn't stick them with inventory - cash flow is king) I dont know enough about the distribution channels to know how easily this could be tracked.

2. Sales of their own physical inventory. It's possible UD hasn't sold out of the physical cases and needs to move them into the distribution channel before they open ePacks for the same reason as above, it would risk their physical inventory sitting there for a longer period of time as ePacks could conceivable satisfy all of the remaining demand for this set.

3. Simple time requirement from the licensor, Marvel. Release windows are not at all uncommon - my company sees them all the time with licensed products. With the rise of ePacks it is conceivable that they are treated as different released in the license agreement.

Just some armchair guesses.
I think it is time for UD to move to ePack 100%. ePack = Amazon, Hobby = Crappy Sears. Their "milestones" just serve to prop up a dinosaur that is dying out and neglect the interest of consumer dolllars (that drive sales of UD products in the first place).

There is a reason Amazon does so well and bricks and mortar is dying. E-commerce is sooooooooooo convenient. UD should just cut the strings to bricks and mortar and join the 21st Century. Collectors dollars are there to be had, they just need to take them.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #544
nabzy28

Not really a fair comparison with Amazon. Amazon sells things people need, along side mountains of garbage, too. Nobody needs trading cards, so UD would be taking all the risk and (potential) loss. With distributors buying up nearly all of a production run before release, they continually eat the losses when products are discounted to $30-$50/box that were $80-$125 at release.
Will 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 be the year Panini finds Marvin Harrison & Marcus Allen to sign their NFL's Greatest Signatures cards? Nearly a decade of complete failure and incompetence continues...
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #545
aggie4ever

While I understand a lot of people love epacks, since it is easy to use and easy to get your fix in and fun to trade, it has several flaws. Many times more costly than physical packs, got to pay extra money to ship physical cards (and the cost makes shipping a base set and/or parallel base set not worth it), not all cards physical, etc.

And most importantly, the "randomness" of opening packs does not seem to be truly random. Certain times of the day and certain days of the month seem to produce big hits more often. How you buy, how you pay, and how you open the packs also seems to affect what you get; and IMO none of those things should affect what you get in any way. Based on my own experience, I won't buy many sets due to the questions I have on randomness. I'll buy physical boxes/cases when they go on clearance instead.

Any I'm sure I'm not the only person who likes to actually open packs by hand. So I don't think they will ever go 100% epack.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #546
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
While I understand a lot of people love epacks, since it is easy to use and easy to get your fix in and fun to trade, it has several flaws. Many times more costly than physical packs, got to pay extra money to ship physical cards (and the cost makes shipping a base set and/or parallel base set not worth it), not all cards physical, etc.

And most importantly, the "randomness" of opening packs does not seem to be truly random. Certain times of the day and certain days of the month seem to produce big hits more often. How you buy, how you pay, and how you open the packs also seems to affect what you get; and IMO none of those things should affect what you get in any way. Based on my own experience, I won't buy many sets due to the questions I have on randomness. I'll buy physical boxes/cases when they go on clearance instead.

Any I'm sure I'm not the only person who likes to actually open packs by hand. So I don't think they will ever go 100% epack.
Fair points... but "pack searching" is rampant in bricks and mortar. I would always feel more comfortable buying a random pack on ePack vs. a pack from an open box on hobby. Especially for sets where the hits are so easy to detect. I think ePack is a fairer format for pack purchases, which is a large chunk of the ePack audience.

I do get what you are saying about running hot and cold on ePack. Sometimes it definitely does seem like hits are more prevalent then others. However, I have never been able to predict this ebb and flow. You mention certain times of day and days of month, but I wish I could crack that code because it seems like a crap shoot to me.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #547
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Not really a fair comparison with Amazon. Amazon sells things people need, along side mountains of garbage, too. Nobody needs trading cards, so UD would be taking all the risk and (potential) loss. With distributors buying up nearly all of a production run before release, they continually eat the losses when products are discounted to $30-$50/box that were $80-$125 at release.
^this
Why would UD want to accept the inventory risk when they can shift that onto dealers?
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #548
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post

And most importantly, the "randomness" of opening packs does not seem to be truly random. Certain times of the day and certain days of the month seem to produce big hits more often. How you buy, how you pay, and how you open the packs also seems to affect what you get; and IMO none of those things should affect what you get in any way. Based on my own experience, I won't buy many sets due to the questions I have on randomness.
There are no modifiers when it comes to pack randomness. Contents of a given product pack do not change based on time of day, quantity, payment method, or any other factor. It is purely random. I have had times where I buy 10 loose packs and get nothing, and then I will buy 1 pack an hour later and hit a dual autograph.

You need to think of ePack on a larger scale when buying packs. When you buy packs on ePack, don't think of it as you are buying a single pack out of a sealed box, but rather you are buying a sealed pack out of the entire production run. If a card falls 1:5, and you buy 5 loose packs, you should get at least 1 on average. But sometimes you might get zero, and sometimes you might get 5. It's no different than buying 5 loose packs out of an open box. The only difference is, if you don't get any in that first batch of 5, you can buy another 5 and have higher odds. With ePack, those odds do increase for future purchases, but you don't notice it because the system is incorporating all possible available packs in it's production run. If you want to make sure you get an auto or sketch card out of the packs that you buy, you need purchase them as whole boxes or cases. Those are guaranteed to have those specific hits (Mem, Autos, Sketches, etc)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #549
sketchopolix

Quote:
Contents of a given product pack do not change based on ... any ... factor.
While that may be true for the products that are selling digital base cards (like GotG) I suspect this is not true for products selling physical base cards that can be combined (and therefore returned to the system). Are you telling me that when someone combines 10 base cards of Ultra Spiderman that a COMC employee takes 10 physical cards and shreds them?

I have been purchasing that product 1 pack at a time for quite a while and just looking at the cards that I have multiple copies suggests that is not true. Almost every card that I have large quantities of is a popular character, suggesting when a physical card is combined, those singles go back into the pool. Certainly if I were you (UD) I'd do that - think of how many more packs you could sell that way?

UD can make this transparent very easily - put up how many packs are available and show a running total as packs are sold. This might even help you since it would show people when a product is getting low and may encourage additional buying.
sketchopolix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #550
Bryanjs14

As far as the risk UD faces with competing against dropping prices on not so hot sets --

1) they have had sales on epack, and I believe they have done pretty well with them

2) the only reason the price drops are BECAUSE there are so many distributors/hobby shops/individuals with Sealed product. They are ALL competing against each other to sell and are lowering prices time and time again. If they go away, and UD e-pack was the only place to get the product, then UD controls the market as far as price goes. They only lower the price if they see the need, not because two distributors are getting in a pissing match to blowout their inventory before the other.

I agree with what was said earlier, cut out the middle man. Go fully e-pack in the future.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote