Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 11-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Morgoth

Default Modern Keys top 20

What does everyone think are the Top 20 modern Keys?

This list is not for variant covers as I think that is a separate topic and collector.

I am looking for modern books that will always be sought after due to either FA's, Story or other (writer, artist, etc.)

Here is what I put together for my top 20 but would love to see others opinions. These are not in order of best to worst as that will be something I do at a latter date after gathering some opinions.

1. BA 12
2. Walking Dead #1
3. Chew #1
4. Invincible #1
5. Bone #1
6. TMNT #1
7. New Mutants 98
8. New Mutants 87
9. Harbinger 1
10. Y the Last Man #1
11. Fables #1
12. Uncanny X-Men 266
13. Amazing Spiderman #300
14. Sandman #1
15. Spawn #1
16. Saga #1
17. NYX #3
18. Strangers in Paradise #1
19. Preacher #1
20. Watchmen #1

Last edited by Morgoth; 11-24-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
pjray55

Good list!

I would find a way to fit in San Diego Comic Con #2 (first hellboy) and Runaways 1 should warrant consideration (I am enjoying the show)
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Morgoth

Those 2 were definitely considered for the list.

I personally love Runaways and but the whole FA of Hellboy issue had me stay away from that book.

Who would you take off the list for Runaways?
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
pjray55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
Those 2 were definitely considered for the list.

I personally love Runaways and but the whole FA of Hellboy issue had me stay away from that book.

Who would you take off the list for Runaways?
If it were my list I wouldnít have New Mutants 87 on there. I am not a Deadpool person either but I do understand the impact the character has had. I feel the buzz for 87 is movie related and prior the allure of Cable was waning
Old 11-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Donkaylove

GOOD LIST...

but, plz defend mouse guard, locke and key (mini series based ), fables, and especially a valiant harbinger 1. would like to hear some arguments on those.....in terms of catergorizing them iconically
Donkaylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
pjray55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkaylove View Post
GOOD LIST...

but, plz defend mouse guard, locke and key (mini series based ), fables, and especially a valiant harbinger 1. would like to hear some arguments on those.....in terms of catergorizing them iconically
Donít put it all on Morgoth, would like to hear who you would replace those with on your list?
Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
akarlen

Depending on when exactly you consider "Modern" (eg 1984) you could also consider:
Eastman & Laird TMNT 1
Albedo 2

I'd send spawn way up the list just for what it meant as a cultural thing - break from the big two and a zillion sales. It's like the Ken Griffey Jr. #1 card from 1989 Upper Deck.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/akarlen
akarlen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Donkaylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjray55 View Post
Donít put it all on Morgoth, would like to hear who you would replace those with on your list?
GEEZUZ--why so pushy? tmnt, gijoe, the other hellboy 1,rick and morty? ....couple more too
Old 11-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Rictor

I think Infinity Gauntlet #1 would go on there before a couple of those indies. Secret Wars #8 used to be the go-to Spider-man modern key.

If Squirrel Girls stays as popular as she is long-term (high sales on Scholastic to kids, TV show), her first appearance in Marvel Super Heroes books will become more important.

TMNT #1 should definitely be on that list, as others have said. It's the book that started the industry boom and eventual glut that killed the market.
Rictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
Donkaylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rictor View Post
I think Infinity Gauntlet #1 would go on there before a couple of those indies. Secret Wars #8 used to be the go-to Spider-man modern key.

If Squirrel Girls stays as popular as she is long-term (high sales on Scholastic to kids, TV show), her first appearance in Marvel Super Heroes books will become more important.

TMNT #1 should definitely be on that list, as others have said. It's the book that started the industry boom and eventual glut that killed the market.

yes-i had this one to mention as well, Secret Wars #8. And, i could see gauntlet with the current theme going now.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
pjray55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkaylove View Post
GEEZUZ--why so pushy? tmnt, gijoe, the other hellboy 1,rick and morty? ....couple more too
Not at all bud, you put emotion into my words. I genuinely was interested in what you would put in there as I think you have great insight based on your pick ups. My bad if it came across wrong
Old 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #12
pjray55

And agreed on TMNt, not sure how I overlooked that

Whatís interesting is you can segment this list in a lot of different ways, value, pure story, cultural impact, crossover into film or tv, etc
Old 11-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #13
Donkaylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjray55 View Post
Not at all bud, you put emotion into my words. I genuinely was interested in what you would put in there as I think you have great insight based on your pick ups. My bad if it came across wrong
HA-no sweat here, appreciated... the way spidey 361 is going, it may also have a spot. and, maybe bats--dark knight 1?
Old 11-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
Spider-Fan

TMNT #1 Is a no brainer. Not only should it be on the list, but it should be in the top 3. I'm guessing more of an oversight than an intentional leave off.

I think ASM 361 will make its way onto that list in the long run, and at least half of the indie stuff will fall off. A lot of those books are sought after because of the current TV/film spec market. That will pass and those books will be forgotten and eventually replaced by the first appearances of Spider-Gwen, Kalama Kahn, Miles Morales, and a few other newer characters that the big 2 will likely build long term franchises around.

Books like BA12 and NM98 are clear indicators that supply won't necessarily hurt these titles from blowing up in value and demand in the future.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #15
Rip67vdub

Personally, I would swap out Strangers in Paradise #1 with Caliber Presents #1.
2016-2017 NBA World Champions Golden State Warriors
Rip67vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #16
jdandns

I like the original list and all the stuff mentioned since, but there are a lot of different ways to make a list like this. If the cut-off is 1980 on, I would consider some of the "alternative" stories that introduced characters and stories that are going to be around a long time, and will be read long into the future, Acme Novelty Library by Chris Ware, Love and Rockets, Ghost World, Grendel, to name a few, and a whole lot of Alan Moore. Swamp Thing #37, 1st John Constantine, is a popular book already.
Super-hero wise, DC Presents #26 and New Teen Titans #2 (Deathstroke) probably just got a nice bump from the Justice League movie.

As you were, as you were...
Old 11-22-2017, 09:45 PM   #17
Mysterio

I would remove Invincible, Mouse Guard, Fables, and Locke & Key. I don't think those books are quite to "key" status yet, but could get there in the next few years. I would replace them with Uncanny X-Men 266, DC Comics Presents 26, Batman The Killing Joke, and Batman The Dark Knight Returns #1 - a mix of first appearances and excellent stories by top creators.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:56 PM   #18
Donkaylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
I would remove Invincible, Mouse Guard, Fables, and Locke & Key. I don't think those books are quite to "key" status yet, but could get there in the next few years. I would replace them with Uncanny X-Men 266, DC Comics Presents 26, Batman The Killing Joke, and Batman The Dark Knight Returns #1 - a mix of first appearances and excellent stories by top creators.

i concur on these too--even the alan moore batman with the 20 prints, iconic sure.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #19
fastballspecial

I would keep Invinicible, but junk Locke and Key, Mouse Guard and Fables as well.
fastballspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:13 AM   #20
Spunky245

I was wondering when someone would mention Uncanny 266!
Spunky245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:31 AM   #21
Morgoth

I agree about TMNT #1 just an oversight.

Uncanny 266 was on my short list but it's a FA of still not widely used character.

Locke and Key is a fabulous story along with Fables but it's just my opinion.

I feel Killing Joke is overrated maybe due to the shock factor isn't what it was when first released.

Death in the Family I thought was more iconic and had more long term impact

Mouse guard is more rarity driven so I can see it moving off
Old 11-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #22
Starman

I think Johnny the Homicidal Maniac # 1 is an overlooked but not undervalued modern key. Albedo 2 has been a key forever. Rick and Morty # 1 is a new contender. Locke and Key just does not make the cut with the other books on your list.
Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #23
fastballspecial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
I think Johnny the Homicidal Maniac # 1 is an overlooked but not undervalued modern key. Albedo 2 has been a key forever. Rick and Morty # 1 is a new contender. Locke and Key just does not make the cut with the other books on your list.
I wouldn't call Johnny a key, but I can tell you this. Its next to impossible to find a 1st print. Ive looked for years and the closest I have got is like a 4th print.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #24
fastballspecial

What I have always wanted to do was make a list that was purely based on appreciation. That way it takes all the BS out.

You look back at sales for the last 3 months on each book and chart their appreciation. If I had more time I would do it just for fun. Its would be interesting to take those 20 books and see what it looks like.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #25
Morgoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
Great comments and the point of this thread is debate and opinion.

Albedo 2 is on cusp of not being Modern in my book, I normally look at Watchmen as the birth of Modern comics or 1985/86 as being my starting point.

Rick & Morty will need some time to really be Key book as being really popular today may not translate 20 years from now.

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac is definitely getting a cult following and it is in with books such as The Tick, Flaming Carrot, The Crow, The Goon, Hellboy as being top 20 keys.

I agree Locke & Key are out now based on looking at some other books but I will replace with UXM 266 as I feel it will explode if ever they do the character right onscreen.