Blowout Cards Forums
2018 football

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
VinnyH

Default Might go to 2018 San Diego Comic Con, any tips?

Tempted to bring my daughter to next year’s San Diego Comic Con. As I start thinking of travel and hotels, any tips or help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vinny
VinnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
glen87

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyH View Post
Tempted to bring my daughter to next year’s San Diego Comic Con. As I start thinking of travel and hotels, any tips or help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vinny
Old 12-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
VinnyH

Old 12-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
kerg

I'd probably prepare by standing in random lines for a few hours and see how much you like that and then go from there.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
VinnyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
I'd probably prepare by standing in random lines for a few hours and see how much you like that and then go from there.
Have done that for years at collectibles shows in NYC.
Part of our fun will be cosplaying and just wandering around. Had more fun in NY this past Oct with people asking me for pictures as the War Doctor. Told my principal that I wasn’t shaving or cutting my hair to prepare for the next con.

Vinny

Last edited by VinnyH; 07-21-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
gdelan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
More like a day. If you want to get into the main hall, be prepared to wait for a day in line. I know someone who did make it into one of the Marvel panels, and did get selected for the signatures, but he was in line for literally 30 hours.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
gdelan1

The best part of the sdcc when I went was just immersing myself in it. (My hotel was the one in the ghetto of La Hoya, with the strip club attached to it)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Carrbeaz

Buy any lego exclusives.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
Spider-Fan

Half a Sunday at NYCC and noe you're going cross country for the big one?

First things first... get tickets. Unless you've got a connection, that is easier said than done. Good luck! Just can't justify the travel expenses myself. Maybe one day...
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
VinnyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Half a Sunday at NYCC and noe you're going cross country for the big one?

First things first... get tickets. Unless you've got a connection, that is easier said than done. Good luck! Just can't justify the travel expenses myself. Maybe one day...
Went to the last 3 NYC cons. Started with my son but he moved on. Luckily my teen daughter watches a lot of DC and Marvel shows besides out main addiction, Dr Who.
Just signed up for tix approval and newbies get offers next week, I believe. Then I may be fighting the queue.

Vinny
PS: figure to mix in the zoo and a few sights.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
TimBuckTwo

No info for you but have fun.

I went to one in the mid-90's before it really exploded and became as huge as it is. It was nice to walk around and check everything out.

I am sure much has changed since then.
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #12
SethMurphy

Send a message via Skype™ to SethMurphy

Sounds like an awesome time, NYCC is on my list of things for the next few years hopefully (NY is a lot closer than SD to us, plus we love the City).
SethMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #13
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyH View Post
Went to the last 3 NYC cons. Started with my son but he moved on. Luckily my teen daughter watches a lot of DC and Marvel shows besides out main addiction, Dr Who.
Just signed up for tix approval and newbies get offers next week, I believe. Then I may be fighting the queue.

Vinny
PS: figure to mix in the zoo and a few sights.
The zoo is great, butmi you can only do one or the other then do the safari park.

I love San Diego
Old 12-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #14
cardbooker

SDCC 2018 badges are going on sale to the general public next Saturday at 9am!

I've gone the last 2 years and already have tickets for 2018. My suggestion would be to create a Twitter account and follow anything SDCC related to stay on top of the news. Pick 1-3 things you want to do each day and line up early.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #15
Fenway55

You can prepare by standing in line for 4 hours and then watching a 2 minute trailer to a comic related movie.
Fenway55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #16
Marco7881

Take out a second mortgage. Go to Dragon Con instead.
Marco7881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:30 AM   #17
cardbooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway55 View Post
You can prepare by standing in line for 4 hours and then watching a 2 minute trailer to a comic related movie.
I haven't attended any of the big panels (Hall H, Ballroom 20), but I know a lot of folks camp out overnight to get the best seats in the room. If you don't care where you sit, you can get a wristband the night before and come back the next morning before the cutoff time for a guaranteed seat.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #18
VinnyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco7881 View Post
Take out a second mortgage. Go to Dragon Con instead.
Hmmmm 🤔

Vinny
Old 12-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #19
daxwills

I used to work convention security, bring Vick’s. At some point the smell can get insane and you’ll be willing to pay serious money for anything to make it stop. I’m not exaggerating some people go to a 4 day convention and apparently don’t bath or bring a change of clothes.

One year the video game convention ran a “permanently open” gaming room. Bring your pc or whatever and game in there all you wanted as that room wasn’t attached to the main hall. Three day convention and there was over a dozen people who basically stayed in there.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:09 PM   #20
GFD18

Wait...so if I'm reading the website correctly, you need to have signed up for an ID before November 27th...In order to attempt to get a badge during Open Enrollment on December 9th...for a convention that is in July on 2018?

I knew SDCC was hard to get into, but wow, those are some BRUTAL prerequisites. I've always wanted to go, so I thought I'd try for 2018. Nope. Guess I cant, and its not even the time badges go on sale yet.

Am I correct? I'm completely out of luck because I didnt get an ID on 11/27/17?
GFD18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #21
VinnyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD18 View Post
Wait...so if I'm reading the website correctly, you need to have signed up for an ID before November 27th...In order to attempt to get a badge during Open Enrollment on December 9th...for a convention that is in July on 2018?

I knew SDCC was hard to get into, but wow, those are some BRUTAL prerequisites. I've always wanted to go, so I thought I'd try for 2018. Nope. Guess I cant, and its not even the time badges go on sale yet.

Am I correct? I'm completely out of luck because I didnt get an ID on 11/27/17?
That’s interesting. I will have to reread things. Still on the fence. Marco put Dragon Con in my thoughts so the fence is wobbly anyway.

Vinny
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #22
webjon

San Diego itself is a fantastic city, there is a lot to do and see out there. . .

As Marco indicates -- it's not cheap.

As for SDCC -- I've gone twice, but it has been many years.

The first time I went it was the best comic convention I've ever been to in my life. It was huge and an amazing experience. This was before the insanity, and before SDCC turned into a pop culture convention or whatever it is now.

I went four or five years later -- that was the first year anything at the show sold out, and the only thing that sold out were single day Saturday tickets that sold out the day of the show. Just in those few years the show had changed significantly, it was very much about media and pop culture, but there was still a very strong comic/collectible connection. The show was great on Thursday and Friday, but by the weekend it was so packed you couldn't walk around.

Honestly after that 2nd show I've never had the desire to go back to SDCC, for me the focus pivoted too much away from collectibles/artists/cards. That on top of the massive crowds and high cost were enough to make it not worth it for me.

Certainly I am not trying to dissuade anyone from going, obviously many people love what SDCC is now -- I guess my suggestion is to make sure you know what you are getting in to, and make sure it is your 'thing' before you go. The crowds and the lines are very real.

If you do go San Diego is amazing.

La Jolla cove is awesome, there are often seals and sea lions on the beach. Go at sunset if you can.
Old Town is very cool.
The zoo and safari park are world class. The zoo is in Balboa park, which is beautiful and has a number of small museums -- I was never really impressed with the museums we went in to.
We also love shopping in Seaport Village and tend to check out a few spots in Gas Lamp.
If you are interested in the military you can tour the Midway, which I believe is an aircraft carrier. We've never done it, but we have friends you have done it and loved it.

If I was going to spend a single day in San Diego I'd probably start at the zoo in the morning, get dinner in Old Town and watch the sunset at La Jolla cove.

I've never been to Dragon Con, but I've always wanted to go, it's probably the next big con on our list.

Last edited by webjon; 12-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.
webjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #23
Spider-Fan

For what its worth, a lot of artists at NYCC tell me that Heroes Con is the best. They also speak very highly of Dragon Con and Baltimore Comic Con. I did Baltimore earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Will likely go back in the future.

SDCC is a different kind of beast. I'd love to go one day just to experience it, but I've heard from many that NYCC is much better as a "comic" convention.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #24
therorkstar

Get there early in the morning, it gets crowded. I've been going for the past 4 years and I prefer going early and solo.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #25
thuy

I had gone to SDCC every year from 2005 to 2016. This was the first year that I stopped going and I don't think I will be going again. It is just getting out of hand and no longer fun. In 2005, I bought my ticket a month before and got the full pass without any problems. Then every year I had to buy earlier and earlier and the last 5 years I was only able to get in because a friend is a dealer and I got a pass from him. Plus trying to get anything or see anything is just such an ordeal. Long lines and no guarantees of getting anything. Since I mainly collect autographs, this is not the con for it. Yes, you have the chance of getting a cast signed piece but that would require standing in line for hours to get the CHANCE of getting one. I did it a few years ago, 5 hours in line and by the time I got to the front of the line, all of the main signings were gone and I LUCKILY got a poster signed by the folks of Pacific Rim. And after getting that ticket, it took me another 2 hours later in the day in another line getting herded through to get a poster signed. So never attempted that again.
The line for Funko Pops is a madhouse, the lines for panels are almost impossible for the main ones.
So I am glad that I have had the opportunity to at least go to one SDCC but those days to me are over.

I now mainly attend smaller to medium sized cons which are much more fun. I get more autographs, artist commissions, souvenirs ans a lot less hassle.

Some of my favorites
1) Emerald City Comic Con
2) NY Comic Con
3) Comicpalooza
4) Dragon Con

Just my 2 cent
thuy is offline   Reply With Quote