Blowout Cards Forums
prizim banner

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Fspook00

Default Need Help! Not sure how to store sketch cards.

Okay. I don’t know why I am obsessed with figureing this out, but i need to know what to do. Here are my two options.

Magnetic holder is 55pt, for a card that could fit a 35pt for a little wiggle room, just in case. (Nice pun right?) The shown cards (the two greatest battle cards) are very tight for some reason (height wise) not sure why. And they (magnetic holders will be stored laying on top of themselves in a case.

The toploaders have a penny sleeve and again the top loader is a size up to prevent pressure on the art. And they will be laying on top of each other in the case seen above.

Below is a picture, which method is better and why. Please help. I want to make this decision and move on with my life. I feel like I keep going back and forth every six months or so. Need to know best method to keep sketch cards for a long period of time.

@sketchcardhive | Instagram
Sketch Card Hive | YouTube
Fspook00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
gdelan1

An artist friend of mine got me some archival mylar semi-rigid sleeves that I'm now using for my sketch cards

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
gdelan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
Fspook00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelan1 View Post
An artist friend of mine got me some archival mylar semi-rigid sleeves that I'm now using for my sketch cards

Why do you prefer those?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
TimBuckTwo

Send the Thanos dual to me. That will alleviate part of your problem.
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Fspook00

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBuckTwo View Post
Send the Thanos dual to me. That will alleviate part of your problem.
Right now. Lol

Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
TimBuckTwo

Well... when you get around to it.

It appears to be Hall to me.
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #7
Fspook00

Yes it is Charles Hall. It’s one of the first pieces I got.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
gdelan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fspook00 View Post
Why do you prefer those?
There's more wiggle room around the edges, they're crystal clear, and hold the cards snugly.

gdelan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #9
HiltonL

Honestly, rather than obsessing over "the best method", spend some time thinking about the method that works for your specific case.
Hall is a painter, I don't recall whether he uses acrylics or oils or both or neither. What I do know is that paints never truly dry, so you don't want to store them in tight spaces, which means no penny sleeves, no toploaders. Maybe he used a fixative that works with paint, again I don't know. That would protect the paints to a certain extent.
Storing the cards in magnetics with a little breathing room seems reasonable to me, since the rigidity of the magnetic would mean no external pressure is being applied to the card, with the minor exception of gravity if stored paint-side-down.

Bottom line: Have you asked Charles?
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
Fspook00

That i will have to do. I don’t have his contact. I was able to pruchase this on eBay. It’s one of my favorite and why I am asking if any one knows. But I think I have a better idea now.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:20 AM   #11
jjsmallvillelvr

Or just make sure you don't remove it from whatever you put it in. If you ever try to remove a card and it's stuck, you're most likely better off leaving it what it's in. That's when you'd damage it if you peel it off and the paint transfers to the storage unit.
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
Fspook00

Got it.

Not sure if I’m wrong or right here, but penny sleeves only hurt oil painted cards?

I might do a video on how to store cards and run it by you guys first to see if my information is right. What does everyone think?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #13
Spider-Fan

I think if you are asking a question on how to store cards, you shouldnt present yourself as an expert in a video you post online
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #14
HiltonL

This thread got me thinking that I also need the answer to 'how to store Hall sketches' so I asked him (emphasis mine in quote below).

Quote:
Hilton: Quick sketchcard question - do you have any recommendations for how to store your painted sketchcards?
Some folks say not to store painted art in penny sleeves/toploaders, others say it's ok. Do you use a fixative on your cards? Have you ever been asked this/given thought to this?

Charles Hall: I use a lacquer to seal my oil paintings. Oils need to breath in the long run so just a top loader will do. I use a penny sleeve for shipping though and shouldn't be a problem for short term storage. Oils are pretty tough and should be more durable than other more fragile mediums
I realize that this is not a "do this, then this, and my art will last forever" answer, but it is straight from the artist himself.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #15
Fspook00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think if you are asking a question on how to store cards, you shouldnt present yourself as an expert in a video you post online
Just because you make a video of something doesn’t mean you are stating that you are an expert. At least as a viewer you should be critical of that fact.

Also gathering information and presenting it in one collective place would be helpful to a lot of people, who like me, are asking a question and not be given comments like these that don’t help at all. Thanks.

Last edited by Fspook00; 12-15-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #16
Fspook00

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
This thread got me thinking that I also need the answer to 'how to store Hall sketches' so I asked him (emphasis mine in quote below).

I realize that this is not a "do this, then this, and my art will last forever" answer, but it is straight from the artist himself.
Thanks for checking this out. This was really helpful.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
Fspook00

Maybe the best way to sort this might be by materials used by artist and what storing method suits those oils, markers, pencils and etc.

I would love some help figuring this out. If anyone has any useful opinions on this let me know.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #18
aggie4ever

I think both of the methods you described in your first post are great, and will work well for 99% of sketch cards. And really it just comes down to preference, I don't think one has an advantage over the other.

I think the 1% is mostly painted type sketch cards, that might stick to the holder. In that case, you probably do want to use an oversized magnetic one touch. And it may be better to store those flat instead of standing up, so that the painted side of the sketch card doesn't touch the holder.

From my own personal experience, I've stored all of my sketch cards in sleeves and toploaders, and just regular size toploaders and not a size bigger. Many of them have been stored that way for over 5 years. And recently I've been taking the cards out to scan them so I can show off my collection. So far, I've only had a handful of cards stick to the sleeves, and in all those cases it was puzzle cards where the artist had used tape
on the back of the cards to keep them together when doing the sketch, and there is some sticky residue left after they removed the tape. I haven't had any of the art itself stick to the sleeves. Of course, I don't have many painted sketch cards, so not much experience with whether those stick. But maybe I'll start keeping those in one touches instead just to be safe.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #19
Fspook00

Awesome. This was exactly what I wanted to know. I'd been only collecting for three years or so and wanted to know from someone who stores them as I do--to know for sure, if the method had any negative long term effects. Thank you.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
thuy

I have too many sketches so I just have mine in penny sleeve in Ultra Pro Premium Binders with the side insertion. Fits very well and easy to look through. Also can put puzzle cards next to each other.

Exceptions would be the painted ones which I agree with the use of thicker magnetic holders
thuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #21
Hadiya

Hi, how to safely store sketch cards is a perennial issue facing collectors.

In another thread I mentioned that I have stored my sketches, especially painted ones, in Ultra Pro One-Touch Magnetic holders. I did this after checking a number of forums on how to best protect sketches, and hearing horrific stories about some holder lids sticking to the surface of sketches. Originally I used 35pt holders until I had one experience with an oil sketch sticking to the lid, so I have placed all my painted sketches in 100pt holders. This ensures there is a layer of air above the sketch surface, which I understood, and is also confirmed by others here, safe-guards painted sketches in the longer term.

I am still researching how to best to store multi-card panels, which I want to display together. Ultra Pro has a booklet card holder, but these do not exactly fit two regular cards and it does not have any that hold three or more cards.

I would be very interested in hearing more about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelan1 View Post
... archival mylar semi-rigid sleeves that I'm now using for my sketch cards
What sizes do they come in, where can you buy them etc? Thanks for any more information you can provide on these.

Hadiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #22
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fspook00 View Post
Just because you make a video of something doesnít mean you are stating that you are an expert. At least as a viewer you should be critical of that fact.

Also gathering information and presenting it in one collective place would be helpful to a lot of people, who like me, are asking a question and not be given comments like these that donít help at all. Thanks.
If you ultimately chose not to post a video, my post helped many curious individuals that may assume anybody with the gall to post a video on the topic has a decent amount of expertise.

If you chose to ignore my post... well I hope nobody screws up thier sketch cards as a result.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:19 AM   #23
jjsmallvillelvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuy View Post
I have too many sketches so I just have mine in penny sleeve in Ultra Pro Premium Binders with the side insertion. Fits very well and easy to look through. Also can put puzzle cards next to each other.

Exceptions would be the painted ones which I agree with the use of thicker magnetic holders
I have almost all of mine in one of them now too. Got the 12 card page one and puzzles go great in the center two. Plus they hold penny sleeves. I need to get a couple more.
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:37 AM   #24
thuy

Wanted to show what the books looks like.
So some other positive things about this too is that
1) takes less space
2) I can organize some stuff by artist, by sets, or by characters
3) I can put puzzles next to each other

There are different sized binders too so some stuff I keep in 4 card pages instead of 9 cards pages.

thuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #25
Fspook00

@thuv Those binders are so amazing. I do love those benefits. The cards do looks much more inviting and the quality of the collection doesn’t hurt.