Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
senorlaverga

Default Toronto National Show question

Thinking about making the trip out there this weekend. But Sunday is the only day that works. Is it worth the drive for the Sunday portion or is everything pretty much wrapped up by then?

Thanks
senorlaverga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Craig

I've found Sunday is still a good day to go, and it's the day when you might get some good deals from vendors who don't want to lug everything home. Sometimes that's the best day to get a deal, as the prices tend to go down (in my experience) as the weekend goes on.

I usually go on Friday, but I don't like it because it's ridiculously busy with everyone trying to get first crack at certain items. I'm going on Saturday afternoon this time, hoping it's not quite as busy...we'll see.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
powder132366

I prefer Sunday for the fall show when I can listen to football on the drive back to the states. As Craig said some of the dealers might be a bit more flexible on their prices, especially with the volume of Series 1 that will likely be opened. I also enjoy doing the Beckett Scavenger Hunt and checking out the wrapper redemption programs when I am at the show.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
Melagoo

I'm heading there on Saturday ... 1st time ... looking forward to it ... http://sportcardexpo.com/ ... tons of stars there ...
Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
senorlaverga

Nice! This is my first time too. Do people usually bring cards with them? I'm debating.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
k13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorlaverga View Post
Nice! This is my first time too. Do people usually bring cards with them? I'm debating.

I have before, sometimes you end up selling/trading more than the actual dealers do.
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
I have before, sometimes you end up selling/trading more than the actual dealers do.
Probably because we mostly have realistic values on our cards, which is more than I can say for some of those sellers (not a shot at you, but at some others I've seen).

I saw a pre-Expo sale post on another site, the prices were nuts.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
psumac

if anyone is going, i'm still looking for a Wayne Simmonds Young Guns HIGH GLOSS and i'll pay a finders fee.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
markscards1

Default Toronto show

I'm heading there tonight after work. I rarely go on the Friday, but it's the only time that works this time around.
There's only 5-6 guys that bring wax, and it's gotten more and more unaffordable over the last few years.
1-2 guys have baseball singles, and the other 398 dealers have the same super-rare hockey cards.
Upper Deck Series 1 will be everywhere, hundreds of cases will be opened.
I'll make a point to look for Simmonds.
markscards1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
itrocdaj

As someone who has never really been too nuts about the Young Guns, I wasn't that crazy about what I found this year, limiting most of my singles purchases to completing my O-Pee-Chee sets. I was pleased to see some vintage CFL though, and not unreasonably priced either.
My auto-accept at COMC is at 60% of asking price. Have fun! It is easier/less expensive for me to send cards to COMC than to ship across the border, so if you're interested in something I've posted, ask and I'll include it in my submissions!
itrocdaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
senorlaverga

I am looking for tough to find high end singles from the last 10 year’s. Do you think it’s worth my time to drive 4 hours each way?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #12
k13
Banned

Quote:
I am looking for tough to find high end singles from the last 10 year’s. Do you think it’s worth my time to drive 4 hours each way?
Which ones?
Old 11-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #13
senorlaverga

Graded OPC gretzkys from the 80s, Crosby and Ovie ultimate rookie stuff, mcjesus non YG

I sort of feel that with most high end cards, if they were worth anything and tough to find, someone would put them on eBay. But maybe I’m wrong. I know Martin Sports will be there and they seem to be the heaviest purveyor of graded Gretzky stuff. But why go to Toronto when I can just buy it on eBay?
Old 11-10-2018, 04:40 AM   #14
Craig

Quote:
I sort of feel that with most high end cards, if they were worth anything and tough to find, someone would put them on eBay.
You'd think so, but I've met people who set up the Expo who rarely list cards on Ebay, or who hold back certain cards.

Is it worth the drive, though? Tough to say - I find that the focus tends too often to be on the new releases (eg. Young Guns), and as a collector of stuff even from the early 2000s I find it tough to get anything good.

I'll be going today, but that's just because I have to be in the Toronto area regardless.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #15
powder132366

Due to an unexpected blizzard (thanks Erie) I'm not sure I'll make it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can get there but if not hope everyone enjoys the show.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #16
k13
Banned

Quote:
Graded OPC gretzkys from the 80s, Crosby and Ovie ultimate rookie stuff, mcjesus non YG

I sort of feel that with most high end cards, if they were worth anything and tough to find, someone would put them on eBay. But maybe I’m wrong. I know Martin Sports will be there and they seem to be the heaviest purveyor of graded Gretzky stuff. But why go to Toronto when I can just buy it on eBay?
They have a lot of graded opc Gretzky stuff usually.

I bought my ovie ultimate and fwa rookies there. Those were tougher to find. I'm sura a lot more of them now since he won cup and they can charge premium.

My buddy bought a Crosby fwa 9.5 for $800 cad there about two years ago. That's like $500 usd lol
Old 11-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #17
k13
Banned

Lot of these dealers never use ebay or even look at it.

You'll get a lot of ...I don't care what it sells for on ebay...go buy it from eBay then...

But that can work both ways...

Like getting Barzal cup rpa for $80 cad
Old 11-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #18
Craig

I went this afternoon, prices were as bad as I expected. There were a few exceptions (like Blowout user tuukkatime), but many of the vendors were so out of touch with prices that it wasn't even worth negotiating because of their high starting point. Still working on a couple of deals, picked up a few smaller items.

Too crowded, too, I'm just not a fan of having to make my way through crowds like that.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #19
Melagoo

I went today sold 2 McDavid YGs and MacKinnon for $560 total ... I will post pix tomorrow ... Marcel Dionne was great he had his booth going I bought a Mug from him and he signed the box ... That guy from Guelph with the $250,000 Orr rookie was there ... I said aren't you suppose to pull cards from a pack ...
Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #20
Melagoo

HOFer Marcel Dionne ...

The most Gretzky RCs I've seen at once all different grades

the infamous $250,000 Bobby Orr RC ... seen on Ebay ...

Nice Jordan RCs

Upper Deck at the show

The Great Bobby Hull ... one of my faves of all-time

My cousins grabbed a few cards

Beer with the Great One ...

One of the funniest cards ever ... Rogie Vachon

SAY NO TO DRUGS -Barry Bonds RC ... $125,000 ...

a couple of nice Mantles ... $120,000 - PSA 6 ... $120,00 - PSA 5.5

400 tables ... lots to see

Last edited by Melagoo; 11-11-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Melagoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:39 AM   #21
Ibanezgod

Quote:

do you know how to get in touch with Martin Sports outside of ebay?
Ibanezgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #22
senorlaverga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezgod View Post
do you know how to get in touch with Martin Sports outside of ebay?
I don’t. Sorry.