Blowout Cards Forums
2018 topps series 2

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #76
Big35Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
It's not simply working. Bruce wants more fair treatment. For whom exactly? There is not one person on this planet that cannot better their own life if they choose to. Is Bruce non-white? I honestly don't know. If not, how was he able to reach the pinnacle of baseball with all the unfair treatment? If he's not a minority, insert a guy like Adam Jones. He obviously wasn't treated unfairly enough that he couldn't become an MLB star. Point is, do something! Change starts from within, and you can't simply give someone a better life.
This nails it on the head, but it's so much easier to play the victim card. Imagine how nice life would be if everyone could take accountability and responsibility instead of placing the blame on others? I know, I know...it's a novel thought for many.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #77
preakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderdale View Post
What has Trump done that's racist? Serious question
Married a foreigner
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #78
OscarOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipscards View Post
I don't remember agreeing or disagreeing. I also don't remember saying anything about being patriotic or unpatriotic.

I simply found it odd that he bothered taking of his hat while making his statement.

But thanks for the condescension.
I wasn't trying to be condensending (I guess it just kinda just squirted out...), but I just wanted to say that I think he "bothered" because he cares enough to still be respectful.

Please no hard feelings. I like the Royals, if that helps? Worked for them once and everything!
"Sports and gambling, whether pursued from a desire of gain or the love of pleasure, are as ruinous to the temper and disposition of the one addicted to them, as they are to his fame and fortune." - Richard Burton
Check out my site at wahoocardboard.com --Every base Topps Indians card 1952-present
OscarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #79
cobravetteki

Quote:
Dude seriously....He on multiple occasions....Said very, VERY mean things...
cobravetteki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:30 PM   #80
thebrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigunitcards View Post
Please tell us exactly what is being asked for, in specifics. Not an end result desired, but how what you want is to be achieved thru law & government.
Happily

African Americans are asking that law enforcement professionals protect and serve them without bias to race.

If you would like more specific information, please refer to literally... and yes I am purposefully using literally and confident I am using it correctly... LITERALLY every study by every impartial source in the entire history of African Americans in this country to see that that is not, and has never happened.

As for what outcome they specifically want to cause them to stand up? Ok, I'll play

1) Body cams on all police officers at all times
2) Convictions and punishment for the small % of law enforcement who show clear disregard for the stated purpose of law enforcement
3) An environment of education and interaction with non white communities. Some sign of progress

More than anything, just ask yourself.

If the armed pseudo militants that marched on Charlottesville were black... what would the response have been?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #81
gradedeflator

I respect what he did..I respect other's perspectives. I don't believe sports and politics have to be separated. Athletes through their popularity have a pulpit from which to influence, inspire, and improve society. No different than Hollywood celebrities. For those that choose to use that pulpit - good for them. For those that don't - that's fine too.

The list of athletes who have stood for something bigger than themselves or their careers is
pretty impressive - Ali, Ashe, Clemente, and some guy named Robinson.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #82
Technochocolate

Send a message via Skype™ to Technochocolate

I think the entire situation is being mismanaged, on all 3 sides of the argument.

- No one has ever clearly defined what the national anthem is supposed to mean in the first place. For some, it means military appreciation. For others, patriotism. For some people, it's a perfect avenue to protest to show that there is an aspect of the country that is failing some of its citizens. For some people, it's a perfect avenue to honor people who have sacrificed for the country. Both sides have done a pretty poor job of understanding the point of view of the other side, and to address it to the other side. (IMO, one side has been much worse than the other about this, the people angry at the protests, but it's still there on both sides)

- It's funny to see, after football, the WNBA and USWMT have been on this the hardest, and no one cared. One baseball player and here we are. America keeps mixing its sexism with its racism.

- The one thing the protesters need to do a better job of is message. This is the one thing Kaepernick has done so much better than most - he's walked the walked after talking the talk, donating to specific charities, donating time and money, identifying specific causes he's supported. I feel like the others need to be more direct with their messages than speaking in generalities.

- I think maybe perhaps we should listen to people in the military when it comes to kneeling for the anthem, and they've overwhelmingly said they fought for the right to be able to protest like this, so maybe just maybe perhaps we should listen to them.

- Politics has always been ingrained in sports. Baseball was segregated for forever. Most sports had some form of segregation in their infancies. People who watch sports to escape from real life are doing it wrong. Real life and politics are embedded within sports. If you want to avoid it, you need to find an activity other than sports to do it. You are using sports in the wrong way.

- The effect on these protests on NFL ratings are very real...and also overblown. 3% is much lower than 26%, but 3% is a real and non-trivial number of viewers. NFL is in a unique situation where it's not just the quality of the issue, but the quantity of issues that's driving viewership down. I think MLB will be fine, relatively speaking, on the protest front. I don't think we'll lose viewers.

- So players who commit domestic violence vs. protesters. People won't quit watching because of criminals, but will because of protesters?

People on the left need to be more direct and detailed with their protests. People on the right need to realize protest is a fundamental American right, and need to realize there's legitimate problems that need to be fixed. People in the middle need to stop pretending sports can be an escape for all this.
Technochocolate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:33 PM   #83
TWard

Iím offended. This thread offends me. I want money for being offended.

Go Colts.
TWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:33 PM   #84
preakness

If you struggle in life it's either your fault or your ancestors
Old 09-23-2017, 11:34 PM   #85
ILOVEBEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarOne View Post
So...I would argue that kneeling is action...but, I also agree 100% with what you are saying.

Like, when Kaepernick said he didn't vote. I was like...man...you a goddamn moron. If you want to make a statement that's great, but you better be willing to lead, if only by example.
You're right, it's getting peoples' attention, but it's making the other half overly upset and causing more problems. Just like all the police protests. Go be a cop if you hate the way they are treating people. Don't stand on the highway or burn down a gas station.

I'm just sick of hearing about what these athletes think. The Warriors not going to the White House has zero effect on my life. Trump doesn't care either so they aren't winning. Use your millions to make the world a better place.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:34 PM   #86
rman112

Techno, you're way off on the WNBA / women's soccer point. The truth is that no one cares enough about the WNBA or Women's National Soccer to get worked up or argue over it.
rman112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #87
ThoseBackPages

who?.

PSA
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #88
TWard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
who?.

#ALLRISE

Go Colts.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #89
Technochocolate

[Q
Quote:
Techno, you're way off on the WNBA / women's soccer point. The truth is that no one cares enough about the WNBA or Women's National Soccer to get worked up or argue over it.
That's precisely what I was saying, that no one cared about those protests.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #90
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward View Post
#allrise
goat mlb rookie!!!

PSA
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #91
preakness

WNBA is still around?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #92
NeedChapmans

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobravetteki View Post
Dude seriously....He on multiple occasions....Said very, VERY mean things...
Heh, we've been down this road gentlemen. It's a dead end every single time.

Listen, this whole protest the national anthem thing is only going to get larger and larger. As the country has shown since Trump's victory, protesting is in. The trouble I have with all of these athletes taking a knee is that I really don't know what it is they're protesting.

Is it Trump specifically? Is it racial injustice? Is it economic injustice? Is there a specific even that has happened? In the case of Bruce Maxwell, why is he taking a knee and what is he doing outside of this action to further his cause? I feel like everyone out there is just looking for anyway they can to make themselves relevant ... and taking a knee for 60 seconds is the easiest way to do it. For 48 hours, Bruce Maxwell will be a hero to 60 million Americans.

This ultimately ends one of two ways. It becomes so common place that people don't care anymore OR the leagues are taking a PR and ratings beating and decide to remove the anthem from games. I'm more inclined to believe the latter will happen, because Trump is likely going to be here a long time and he's not changing.
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:40 PM   #93
bigunitcards

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrett View Post
1) Body cams on all police officers at all times
2) Convictions and punishment for the small % of law enforcement who show clear disregard for the stated purpose of law enforcement
3) An environment of education and interaction with non white communities. Some sign of progress
While I could debate these, that isn't the point of this board. But I do applaud you for actually answering the question and providing factual, actionable ideas for change. That's my whole issue with these 'protests', they are supposed to shed a light on social issues but they don't have much substance beyond "muh injustice'". But you have thought out ideas and I give it up to you, sir.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:41 PM   #94
rman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technochocolate View Post
[Q

That's precisely what I was saying, that no one cared about those protests.
How is that sexist, though?
rman112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:42 PM   #95
chezball

keep your mouth shut beatoff/TDRavens
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #96
preakness

Maxwell on bench today

The starting C playing ahead of him is hitting .150
Old 09-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #97
TWard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post

Iím offended.

Go Colts.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #98
preakness

If they make a Sharknado 7 there will be scene where shark takes out a kneeling athlete
Old 09-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #99
HeritageKing

#toppsnow
#2 Topps Heritage Autograph Collector
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #100
Technochocolate

Quote:
How is that sexist, though?
Because of the way everyone dismissed them, as not being important enough to listen to their message in the first place.