Blowout Cards Forums
2018 community chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #51
ensbergcollecto
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Garland, Tx
Posts: 2,051
Default

I can't count the number of times that I have heard this phrase or the similar "inmates running the asylum" and I never once heard it said in a racial way (not saying it can't be racist). It has always been (at least in my experience) a reference to employees or anyone who is not the boss trying to run the show.
I have heard it used in groups that were all white and groups that were mostly minority and the phrase was spoken by a minority.

is mcnair racist? I don't have a clue. Never met the guy. But I kinda hate the world we live in where a 70 year old (who to my knowledge has never even been accused of racism) can use a phrase he has probably heard 1000 times and is suddenly a closet racist.
__________________
Collecting Leonys Martin, Brett Marshall, Morgan Ensberg, and Chris Lytle. Also Need 2007 and 2013 A&G minis for my sets.
ensbergcollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #52
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

President Camacho, it's where we are headed.

Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #53
Clarka3
Member
 
Clarka3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 18,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Good point, but I think most NFL owners are so rich from other things, they don't rely on their teams for money. Rather they enjoy owning the team as a prestige thing, since it is a real statement of wealth and power to actually own an NFL team. Many, many people, have tried and failed to get one, believe me, that I can tell you...
the bolded was comedy gold that flew over people's heads here haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
What, exactly, is the point? If they think the guy is racist, OK. But I mean, if they're fine with playing for the guy and cashing his checks, I'd say that's pretty far from 'taking the high road'.

i mean, they're still "working", so why in the world wouldn't they cash his checks? I work for a charter school, and i don't agree with the politics of the higher ups, but I'm still putting in my work. I'm cashing that check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzle View Post
I didn't say that all old white men are racist. I said that there's a "very real chance" he meant it racially because he's an old rich white man from the south. Which, YES, those attributes absolutely mean there's a higher chance that he could be racist (or have racist tendencies) than just any other regular person you might encounter.

And there absolutely was disrespect meant in that figure of speech. The NFL money making system is a two way street. Yes, he does pay them millions of dollars to play football, and they make him that much back and a very tidy profit on top of it. It's not like they could go sign anyone off the street and make the same money off of them, and if someone like DeAndre Hopkins or D'Onta Foreman (the main two names that have come up in talks about being upset with his comments) decided they didn't want to play for the Texans any more after their contracts were up, or before, there would be plenty of other teams with better (in their eyes) owners that would be happy to snatch them up. It's not as if them no longer playing for the Texans would suddenly destroy their career trajectories. However, by McNair referring to them as the inmates in the prison, he's very clearly trying to throw jabs at the players making statements he doesn't like by insinuating that they're unable to make decisions for themselves and attempting to assert himself as if he has all the power, which is just blatantly untrue.
this was my take on it. I don't think dude was making a racist comment, but he very clearly was making a "shut up and do your job" kind of comment while completely ignoring that this league is nothing without the player talent they have. NFL Europe failed for 2 reasons. 1- it's not that big of a sport abroad, and 2- the talent level was terrible. Without the guys rostered right now, this sport loses tons of revenue because who wants to go see crappy teams? Same thing goes for college teams. Nobody goes to the bad teams, so those teams have smaller athletic budgets and have a harder time competing with the big boys that can funnel that money into nice facilities etc.

I think dude forgot that while yeah, he's the owner and pays their salaries, they make him a very nice profit/return on his investment through their talent. His comment really minimized the role the players have in making the league money, which was definitely not what you want to do when you've already got a strained relationship throughout the league.


Also, his "explanation" was hilariously fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
And the ratings will continue to plummet....

I really think the cause of this is the quality of some of the games going on. Diehards love watching football any chance they get, but man, when you get matchups like the one last Thursday (Ravens 40-0 rout of the Phins) or games where there is only 1 TD scored (the Browns-Titans a few weeks ago), fans don't want to watch that. I tuned out thursday night at half.

I don't think the cause of this being the fans tuning out due to the protests (or the other side, the fans tuning out due to Kaep not having a job) is not nearly as large as the terrible team matchups that we're seeing more and more of.

Also, i really think moving the Monday night game to ESPN hurts too, because you eliminate all non-cable customers from what is supposed to be the "showcase" game of the week.
__________________
Luke Kuechly Collector
pending: w8lifter28 (custom),

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #54
Verufian
Member
 
Verufian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensbergcollecto View Post
I can't count the number of times that I have heard this phrase or the similar "inmates running the asylum" and I never once heard it said in a racial way (not saying it can't be racist). It has always been (at least in my experience) a reference to employees or anyone who is not the boss trying to run the show.
I have heard it used in groups that were all white and groups that were mostly minority and the phrase was spoken by a minority.

is mcnair racist? I don't have a clue. Never met the guy. But I kinda hate the world we live in where a 70 year old (who to my knowledge has never even been accused of racism) can use a phrase he has probably heard 1000 times and is suddenly a closet racist.
i totally agree, but I would add that itís just part of the bigger problem. PoC being labeled ďthugsĒ is no different than this.

Anyone who doesnít think this country is heading towards another civil war within the next 10 years is kidding themselves. Totally divided country.
Verufian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #55
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
i totally agree, but I would add that itís just part of the bigger problem. PoC being labeled ďthugsĒ is no different than this.

Anyone who doesnít think this country is heading towards another civil war within the next 10 years is kidding themselves. Totally divided country.
Please stop hahahaha Please
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #56
myerscards
Member
 
myerscards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 7,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
i totally agree, but I would add that itís just part of the bigger problem. PoC being labeled ďthugsĒ is no different than this.

Anyone who doesnít think this country is heading towards another civil war within the next 10 years is kidding themselves. Totally divided country.
^^^^^^ This 100% truth but I think it will be before then.
__________________
I reserve the right to sell to who I want to.
myerscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #57
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

You people think a Civil War is coming? hahahahahaha
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #58
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 17,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
You people think a Civil War is coming? hahahahahaha
Agreed. People are too lazy to do anything...see kneeling players complaining but doing nothing about complaints.
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22

Last edited by iluvfish2; 10-31-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: edited pm sent
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #59
Verufian
Member
 
Verufian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
You people think a Civil War is coming? hahahahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Agreed. People are too f'ing lazy to do anything...see kneeling players complaining but doing nothing about complaints.
I guess we will just have to see.

What I see is a growing population that feels like they are less than. PoC, LGBT, immigrants, etc. Add that to the group of people that sympathize with them, and you have a truly divided country. You can laugh all you want, but itís real whether you want to deny it or not.
Verufian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #60
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
I guess we will just have to see.

What I see is a growing population that feels like they are less than. PoC, LGBT, immigrants, etc. Add that to the group of people that sympathize with them, and you have a truly divided country. You can laugh all you want, but itís real whether you want to deny it or not.
Civil war isn't happening, please just stop with your nonsense.

Population feels less than what? Finish your sentence

People of Color? What the hell does that even mean? I'm a person of color, so are you and so is everyone else. We all are made of different colors.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #61
rman112
Member
 
rman112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Svenborgia
Posts: 7,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i mean, they're still "working", so why in the world wouldn't they cash his checks? I work for a charter school, and i don't agree with the politics of the higher ups, but I'm still putting in my work. I'm cashing that check.
Disagreeing with someone's political views is not the same thing as threatening to leave "work" (practice), and then having 40 players openly protest the owner before a game because they think he's a racist.
rman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #62
pgisback
Member
 
pgisback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 14,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
i totally agree, but I would add that itís just part of the bigger problem. PoC being labeled ďthugsĒ is no different than this.

Anyone who doesnít think this country is heading towards another civil war within the next 10 years is kidding themselves. Totally divided country.
I disagree on the civil war thing. Usually that requires desperation of basic necessities of life. We are too spoiled for the country to get in the streets and kill each other. Poor communities might riot and what not, but the police/military will still handle them. The nation is totally divided though. Only thing I can envision changing this would be to separate in to two nations that share the same infrastructure but live by different social laws. I don't know how that would work though. That would be cool to have a red state sports league and a blue state league. Imagine the heated rivalries when politics get involved.
__________________
Collecting:
Redskins RC Auto PC - 216/363 (59.5%)
Ben Gamel Bowman/BC/Heritage
Nikita Kucherov RCs/On Card Autos
pgisback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #63
Verufian
Member
 
Verufian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
Civil war isn't happening, please just stop with your nonsense.

Population feels less than what? Finish your sentence

People of Color? What the hell does that even mean? I'm a person of color, so are you and so is everyone else. We all are made of different colors.


Population of people (People of Color, LGBT, etc) that feel they don’t have the same rights as non people of color, or non LGBT. It was a complete sentence/thought.

Definition of person of color ... https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...erson_of_color

Quote:
A person who is not white or of European parentage.
Any other condescending questions you would like me to answer? Just because you don’t agree with something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. In fact, you are proving my point about a severe divide. You are blind to only your beliefs, so us going back and forth won’t solve or serve anything.

We are a country of 50 different states with 50 different ideas of “what this country needs”, and it is only getting worse because everyone feels like their voice needs to be the loudest, everyone has the ability to anonymously spew whatever their opinion is via social media, internet etc. if we as a country can’t even agree on basic human rights, how is it going to get better?

Civil war may be a bit direct, maybe what I should have said is, more of a push for local independence. Territories versus states.
Verufian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #64
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post


Population of people (People of Color, LGBT, etc) that feel they donít have the same rights as non people of color, or non LGBT. It was a complete sentence/thought.

Definition of person of color ... https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...erson_of_color



Any other condescending questions you would like me to answer? Just because you donít agree with something doesnít mean it doesnít exist. In fact, you are proving my point about a severe divide. You are blind to only your beliefs, so us going back and forth wonít solve or serve anything.

We are a country of 50 different states with 50 different ideas of ďwhat this country needsĒ, and it is only getting worse because everyone feels like their voice needs to be the loudest, everyone has the ability to anonymously spew whatever their opinion is via social media, internet etc. if we as a country canít even agree on basic human rights, how is it going to get better?

Civil war may be a bit direct, maybe what I should have said is, more of a push for local independence. Territories versus states.
The only reason we are going back and forth is because you think thereís a civil war about to start. I found that hilarious and responded. Iím a person of color whether you accept it or not
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #65
jlzinck
Member
 
jlzinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 25,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post

Definition of person of color ... https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...erson_of_color

.
Cool so I am a person of color because I have Native American blood in me!!!!
__________________
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #66
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Cool so I am a person of color because I have Native American blood in me!!!!
Same here. We are blood brothers
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #67
Verufian
Member
 
Verufian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
The only reason we are going back and forth is because you think thereís a civil war about to start. I found that hilarious and responded. Iím a person of color whether you accept it or not
No, the only reason we were going back and forth is because you chose to argue my opinion that wasnít even directed at you, something I havenít done with you. You couldnít help yourself. You just HAD to do it. You felt compelled to do it, then continue to mock it.

It seems, in todayís age, it isnít ok to have differing opinions. Perhaps itís because of where we live, and what we grew up around. We see things through different lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Cool so I am a person of color because I have Native American blood in me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
Same here. We are blood brothers
You both understand that itís a term our founding fathers used, right? It isnít a new millennial term. Been around for centuries. But, if you identify as a person of color, good for you. I hope the fact that your part native blood has made you live your life 100% as a Native American. I cheer the fact that you live on a reservation, identify as Native American, and donít just use the fact that your great, great, great, great grandfather married an Indian woman and use that fact to belittle natives that do live their lives respecting their history.

Cheers
Verufian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #68
jlzinck
Member
 
jlzinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 25,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
You both understand that itís a term our founding fathers used, right? It isnít a new millennial term. Been around for centuries. But, if you identify as a person of color, good for you. I hope the fact that your part native blood has made you live your life 100% as a Native American. I cheer the fact that you live on a reservation, identify as Native American, and donít just use the fact that your great, great, great, great grandfather married an Indian woman and use that fact to belittle natives that do live their lives respecting their history.

Cheers
I like how people use the founding father's words only when it fits their argument. It was made in jest here. If you cannot have a little fun in your day to day like then there is no reason living

I have never used my native blood in any other way than to tell people something interesting. Unlike the senior senator from Massachusetts.
__________________
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #69
Verufian
Member
 
Verufian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
I like how people use the founding father's words only when it fits their argument. It was made in jest here. If you cannot have a little fun in your day to day like then there is no reason living

I have never used my native blood in any other way than to tell people something interesting. Unlike the senior senator from Massachusetts.
Iím not using it to fit my argument. Iím using it because using that term is not considered offensive.

I can have fun, however, it would be nice if we could actually have a positive discussion in this forum. However, itís obvious we canít and I should probably stop trying. This whole political and sports forum is majority right leaning, and anyone who doesnít agree with a subject is ridiculed and mocked. 2017 America
Verufian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #70
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
No, the only reason we were going back and forth is because you chose to argue my opinion that wasnít even directed at you, something I havenít done with you. You couldnít help yourself. You just HAD to do it. You felt compelled to do it, then continue to mock it.

It seems, in todayís age, it isnít ok to have differing opinions. Perhaps itís because of where we live, and what we grew up around. We see things through different lenses.


You both understand that itís a term our founding fathers used, right? It isnít a new millennial term. Been around for centuries. But, if you identify as a person of color, good for you. I hope the fact that your part native blood has made you live your life 100% as a Native American. I cheer the fact that you live on a reservation, identify as Native American, and donít just use the fact that your great, great, great, great grandfather married an Indian woman and use that fact to belittle natives that do live their lives respecting their history.

Cheers
Take off the lenses, they aren't needed.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #71
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
No, the only reason we were going back and forth is because you chose to argue my opinion that wasnít even directed at you, something I havenít done with you. You couldnít help yourself. You just HAD to do it. You felt compelled to do it, then continue to mock it.

You both understand that itís a term our founding fathers used, right? It isnít a new millennial term. Been around for centuries. But, if you identify as a person of color, good for you. I hope the fact that your part native blood has made you live your life 100% as a Native American. I cheer the fact that you live on a reservation, identify as Native American, and donít just use the fact that your great, great, great, great grandfather married an Indian woman and use that fact to belittle natives that do live their lives respecting their history.

Cheers
Takes two to tango
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #72
Verufian
Member
 
Verufian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
Take off the lenses, they aren't needed.
Iíd rather see things clear than to be blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
Takes two to tango
Ok. So then Iíll stop, since you apparently cannot. Enjoy raising your post count!
Verufian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #73
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
Iím not using it to fit my argument. Iím using it because using that term is not considered offensive.

I can have fun, however, it would be nice if we could actually have a positive discussion in this forum. However, itís obvious we canít and I should probably stop trying. This whole political and sports forum is majority right leaning, and anyone who doesnít agree with a subject is ridiculed and mocked. 2017 America
I think BO forum is heavy right leaning based on the election thread/poll back then. Also, the mocking went both ways and is one reason why it got shut down. I don't identify with either side or any party. The two main parties are both ridiculous and I wouldn't want to be associated with either.

Even you changed your tune on a "Civil War" after being called out for it. It's just over the top.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #74
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 17,334
Default

Civil war...still LMAO at that one guys.
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #75
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
Iíd rather see things clear than to be blind.

Ok. So then Iíll stop, since you apparently cannot. Enjoy raising your post count!
I'm sorry that you can't see clearly with your own eyes and have to use a lense made by others. Almost to 8K posts, sad really.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.