Blowout Cards Forums
world cup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #76
rman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGT Masters View Post
If I had to guess I'd say lack of education/common sense combined with everyone now having access to social media. Some people believe everything they read and never fact check, nor do they seem to care if its true or not as long as it fits their agenda.

Just a couple decades ago if the village idiot yelled absurdities from the hill tops no one listened because there weren't enough similar people within ear shot. Now those same village idiots can throw something up on social media and all of the village idiots can read it and try and collectively blow things out of proportion.

I would like to think for the most part things haven't changed much. We just have to listen to far more village idiots at one time than we were used to from previous decades. Its a lot to filter through. Unfortunately with all of the noise they create real people, with real messages, that should be taken seriously get lost in it all. Its no longer about who is right, or what is wrong, its about who can be the loudest.
Village idiots forming together like Voltron..
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #77
Dielon

This has just been beaten to death. Colin is clearly apart of a fringe group, and people in fringe groups are not to be taken seriously. I want to listen to his problems and complains, but I dont see alot of serious actions taken and to be honest I dont think he is that serious about changing the culture of police brutality. I want black arrests and cop confrontations to go down too, as well as white arrests. His answer is: white privilege, racism, the usual answers. Not a solution. It will take someone who leaves the identity politics at home to solve the problem.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #78
MIRRABB

Quote:
If I had to guess I'd say lack of education/common sense combined with everyone now having access to social media. Some people believe everything they read and never fact check, nor do they seem to care if its true or not as long as it fits their agenda.

Just a couple decades ago if the village idiot yelled absurdities from the hill tops no one listened because there weren't enough similar people within ear shot. Now those same village idiots can throw something up on social media and all of the village idiots can read it and try and collectively blow things out of proportion.

I would like to think for the most part things haven't changed much. We just have to listen to far more village idiots at one time than we were used to from previous decades. Its a lot to filter through. Unfortunately with all of the noise they create real people, with real messages, that should be taken seriously get lost in it all. Its no longer about who is right, or what is wrong, its about who can be the loudest.
Very accurate. Trumpism in a nutshell.

Last edited by iluvfish2; 11-14-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: clean from what i can see
Old 11-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #79
Verufian

Quote:

I agree, it’s also about either side being unwilling to compromise anything. I’m right, you’re wrong, period. No willingness to consider anything but their own beliefs or way of thought.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #80
chezball

IP check in aisle 5.
keep your mouth shut beatoff/TDRavens
Old 11-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #81
pac213up

Great choice.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #82
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
I just want you to be aware that one of the things BLM is complaining about IS. ACTUALLY. HAPPENING. with data to back it up. This isn't one of those "cops kill more white people than black people" things where you could talk about gross numbers or percentages to go one way or the other. this is data right here saying that sentencing for black males is harsher than white males.
Big ups to you, as usual, Clark, for fighting the good fight, but remember, only the oppressed know what it feels like to be oppressed, and trying to explain that to people who seem proud of the fact that they lack empathy for anyone remotely different than themselves is generally futile. They're always demanding proof of police brutality or systemic racism, but the burden of proof is not on Black Lives Matter to show there is. It's on law enforcement to show there is not. Officers in the street and of the Court who truly serve the public good insist on it, and they are the majority, but that is not enough.

BLM, and by extension, the larger Progressive movement actually fights for the rights of a person to be racist if they choose. What the struggle has always been against is the institutional racism those same individuals have hid behind and benefited from. Basically, it's not fair, it never was, they should have never had it, and they can't have it anymore. (I understand why they're upset about that, but then again, I have empathy). It took a long time for that system to be installed and may take even longer to dismantle, but it will happen. Statues that should have never been erected, both real and metaphorical, will all come tumbling down eventually. A country that stands on freedom and equality must make it so, or it will surely perish.

We have passed many such tests in our history. This is only the latest. It takes courage to participate, and slings and arrows will surely come to those who do. Just look at the hate one can get for merely exercising a Constitutional right to peaceful protest.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #83
pgisback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Big ups to you, as usual, Clark, for fighting the good fight, but remember, only the oppressed know what it feels like to be oppressed, and trying to explain that to people who seem proud of the fact that they lack empathy for anyone remotely different than themselves is generally futile. They're always demanding proof of police brutality or systemic racism, but the burden of proof is not on Black Lives Matter to show there is. It's on law enforcement to show there is not. Officers in the street and of the Court who truly serve the public good insist on it, and they are the majority, but that is not enough.

BLM, and by extension, the larger Progressive movement actually fights for the rights of a person to be racist if they choose. What the struggle has always been against is the institutional racism those same individuals have hid behind and benefited from. Basically, it's not fair, it never was, they should have never had it, and they can't have it anymore. (I understand why they're upset about that, but then again, I have empathy). It took a long time for that system to be installed and may take even longer to dismantle, but it will happen. Statues that should have never been erected, both real and metaphorical, will all come tumbling down eventually. A country that stands on freedom and equality must make it so, or it will surely perish.

We have passed many such tests in our history. This is only the latest. It takes courage to participate, and slings and arrows will surely come to those who do. Just look at the hate one can get for merely exercising a Constitutional right to peaceful protest.
Victim mentality at its finest, lol. Blame everyone else but yourself. That’s the kneelers motto. 1 in 4 black women experience domestic abuse and you guys are worried about criminals sentences. Crazy world you guys live in, haha
Nikita Kucherov RCs/On Card Autos

Last edited by pgisback; 11-14-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #84
jdandns

Better than yours.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #85
pgisback

Quote:
Better than yours.
Feeling like a victim your entire life must be miserable
Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #86
jdandns

I am not a victim and don't feel like one, but I have sympathy for those who have been wronged and suffer as a result. I could think of many worse ways to live, but the one that comes to mind currently is someone being consumed seemingly 24 hours a day over other people peacefully expressing their opinions.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #87
pgisback

Quote:
I am not a victim and don't feel like one, but I have sympathy for those who have been wronged and suffer as a result. I could think of many worse ways to live, but the one that comes to mind currently is someone being consumed seemingly 24 hours a day over other people peacefully expressing their opinions.
I save my sympathy for actual victims. Not the fake victims of whiny SJW agendas. And typing really isn’t that time consuming for some.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #88
rhigh2390

I will never understand how people can complain about so much in America. If it's so bad that you have to complain non-stop and act like nothing is fair, why don't you try going to live somewhere else??? If you don't like it here, that's fine! Nobody is making you stay!

When a "Citizen of the Year" award is given to an idiot like Colin Kaepernick, that's when you know the country is in a really bad place and as someone else mentioned, you have to wonder if it can be saved by this point.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/152884306@N08/albums
Old 11-14-2017, 09:42 PM   #89
jdandns

Do you not see that you yourself are complaining about something in America that you don't like? And that you would like a certain group of people to act a different way than they have been in order to fix that problem? Should you not be allowed to do that? Should you listen to people who tell you not to do that?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:33 AM   #90
briancecilrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
He's in good company.

All of the other comments in the section should be deleted except this one, well done. Pretty much sums up GQ.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:35 AM   #91
briancecilrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
As a child of the 70's I'm glad the afro is making a comeback.
Wasn't Kaepernick adopted and raised by middle/upper class white people in a white neighborhood? When did he start sporting the afro and corn rows and wearing African tribal stuff?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:49 AM   #92
pac213up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhigh2390 View Post
When a "Citizen of the Year" award is given to an idiot like Colin Kaepernick, that's when you know the country is in a really bad place and as someone else mentioned, you have to wonder if it can be saved by this point.
I think the Presidential election was a far larger indicator than some irrelevant magazines opinion.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:57 AM   #93
preakness

Won’t be buying GQ this month

Actually never have
Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #94
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancecilrn View Post
All of the other comments in the section should be deleted except this one, well done. Pretty much sums up GQ.
Whoops, forgot a couple.

OK, now.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #95
Athey49

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancecilrn View Post
Exactly. The outrage over a magazine's opinion is laughable
Old 11-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #96
kerg

I heard Kaepernick had to know the answer to who The Lone Ranger's nephew's horse's name was in order to win this major award.
Closed Thread