Blowout Cards Forums
2018 community chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2018, 01:01 AM   #126
quackhead
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 2,550
Default

Sad. So will they not show the movie Major League on TBS every weekend during the baseball season?
quackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #127
RossOK
Member
 
RossOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataman2612 View Post
That doesn't tell me anything I already know. So just because someone thinks it's racist, then it is? Just because I don't, I'm wrong? Who exactly decides this?
It boils down to this — you've decided your feelings/opinions are more valid than theirs. In other words, if somebody says "we find this offensive" you're essentially responding "I don't care." Your failure to assess the situation with an empathetic eye reveals a lack of good faith and the absence of respect.
__________________
Brandons, Buster and Bum
RossOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #128
Astros19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 979
Default

Opinions are like#@!&#@!&,
everybody's got one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Astros19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #129
Astros19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 979
Default

And there's your irony you mentioned earlier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Astros19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #130
Chris Lyle
Member
 
Chris Lyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: OHIO
Posts: 1,954
Default

Sad to see it go, but I see why in this PC world that we live in that it had to be done. The part I don't like is that ones against these sort of logos paint the picture that anybody that wears these logos or lets their kids wear this logo are racist and are raising racists.
Chris Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #131
jataman2612
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lyle View Post
Sad to see it go, but I see why in this PC world that we live in that it had to be done. The part I don't like is that ones against these sort of logos paint the picture that anybody that wears these logos or lets their kids wear this logo are racist and are raising racists.
Agree. The kids are completely innocent in this situation. Maybe it is ignorance on my part but I just think there are more important things to worry about than a logo. They have one of the highest suicide rates and one of the highest rates to drop out of school. Focus on your people, stuff that's actually hurting you.

I saw a suggestion on Twitter that the Indians should of offered to donate a percentage of Wahoo sales to Native American causes/charities in order to keep the logo. I think that would've been a great idea and a fair compromise. At least you're showing some compassion and that you care.

I wish Dolan would've proposed that to Manfred. Thoughts?
__________________
Always looking for Cleveland sports memorabilia.
Looking for rare late 90's Indians Cards- if price is right.

Also possibly interested in current Indians (Not crazy about current card designs though)
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #132
mattglet
Member
 
mattglet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataman2612 View Post
Maybe it is ignorance on my part
It is.

/thread
__________________
Collecting Jose Canseco - www.MattsCansecoCollection.com Approaching 2400 unique cards and over 300 autos!

Collecting Riley Pint - www.RileyPint.com Total owned: 67%, 1/1s: 50
mattglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #133
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattglet View Post
It is.

/thread
/thread? Nope
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #134
jataman2612
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattglet View Post
It is.

/thread
That's fine. To each their own. I have my opinion, and you have yours.
__________________
Always looking for Cleveland sports memorabilia.
Looking for rare late 90's Indians Cards- if price is right.

Also possibly interested in current Indians (Not crazy about current card designs though)
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #135
Chris Lyle
Member
 
Chris Lyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: OHIO
Posts: 1,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataman2612 View Post
Agree. The kids are completely innocent in this situation. Maybe it is ignorance on my part but I just think there are more important things to worry about than a logo. They have one of the highest suicide rates and one of the highest rates to drop out of school. Focus on your people, stuff that's actually hurting you.

I saw a suggestion on Twitter that the Indians should of offered to donate a percentage of Wahoo sales to Native American causes/charities in order to keep the logo. I think that would've been a great idea and a fair compromise. At least you're showing some compassion and that you care.

I wish Dolan would've proposed that to Manfred. Thoughts?

You are right in my opinion there are bigger fish to fry, but it is what it is. As far as giving a percentage of Wahoo sales to Native American causes/charities I think this got to the point there was no compromise. And if the Native Americans would have agreed to something like this then it would have ended their cause of getting rid of any of these logos, because the public opinion would be that they could be bought to say, "oh it doesn't offend anymore as long as you're giving us money"..
Chris Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #136
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,242
Default

/thread yet.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #137
jataman2612
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lyle View Post
And if the Native Americans would have agreed to something like this then it would have ended their cause of getting rid of any of these logos, because the public opinion would be that they could be bought to say, "oh it doesn't offend anymore as long as you're giving us money"..
You don't think Florida State paid the Seminole tribe to leave them alone? I don't know for sure if they did, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

I was surprised that the tribes would let casinos be built on there land. I was told it's because they get a cut of what the casino makes plus legal services that are paid by the casino. So never say never.
__________________
Always looking for Cleveland sports memorabilia.
Looking for rare late 90's Indians Cards- if price is right.

Also possibly interested in current Indians (Not crazy about current card designs though)
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #138
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataman2612 View Post
You don't think Florida State paid the Seminole tribe to leave them alone? I don't know for sure if they did, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

I was surprised that the tribes would let casinos be built on there land. I was told it's because they get a cut of what the casino makes plus legal services that are paid by the casino. So never say never.
I thought the Seminole tribe owned the Hard Rock casinos in Florida?
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #139
jataman2612
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
I thought the Seminole tribe owned the Hard Rock casinos in Florida?
Maybe I don't know. I was talking more like Mohegan Sun. Either way, that promotes gambling and alcoholism which I would think are things looked down upon by their people. I know they aren't the Amish but I assume they have a different lifestyle than you and me if they live on the reservation.
__________________
Always looking for Cleveland sports memorabilia.
Looking for rare late 90's Indians Cards- if price is right.

Also possibly interested in current Indians (Not crazy about current card designs though)
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:57 PM   #140
Astros19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 979
Default

Pretty sure most casinos on native American reservations are owned and operated by native Americans.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Astros19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #141
spuds1961
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Terry,Ms.
Posts: 5,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
I thought the Seminole tribe owned the Hard Rock casinos in Florida?
They do and there was an article in sports illustrated about it, Let's just say they are worth a lot more money than people may think.
spuds1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #142
ensbergcollecto
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Garland, Tx
Posts: 2,051
Default

to start, i have no care one way or another about the indians logo. But as an overarching question, how many people need to be offended to change something? Let's stick with team logos. I don't think anyone would argue that if one person is offended, then a team should change their logo. I also don't think that anyone would argue that if 90% of the country was offended they shouldn't change there logo.
So, then the question becomes, how many people need to be offended in order to make a major change?
__________________
Collecting Leonys Martin, Brett Marshall, Morgan Ensberg, and Chris Lytle. Also Need 2007 and 2013 A&G minis for my sets.
ensbergcollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #143
BGT Masters
Member
 
BGT Masters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellsville, New York
Posts: 7,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensbergcollecto View Post
to start, i have no care one way or another about the indians logo. But as an overarching question, how many people need to be offended to change something? Let's stick with team logos. I don't think anyone would argue that if one person is offended, then a team should change their logo. I also don't think that anyone would argue that if 90% of the country was offended they shouldn't change there logo.
So, then the question becomes, how many people need to be offended in order to make a major change?
It's not always the amount of people who are offended that gets something changed. It's often who is offended and how loud and obnoxious they can be.
__________________
If you have less than 30 feedback or poor feedback I'm going to ask that you send first.
BGT Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #144
Orangejello727
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataman2612 View Post
Maybe I don't know. I was talking more like Mohegan Sun. Either way, that promotes gambling and alcoholism which I would think are things looked down upon by their people. I know they aren't the Amish but I assume they have a different lifestyle than you and me if they live on the reservation.
You make it sound like they are aliens or something. They are just like you and I. If Casinos were offensive, you would have a point. The reason why casinos are built on reservation land is because of gambling laws that prohibit certain states for setting up casinos. They run the casinos and take their cut.

As for promoting alcoholsim? Thats a far fetched statement. That Bud commercial you watch during the superbowl is what promotes alcoholism!! But thats okay right?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #145
Ray27Ray52
Member
 
Ray27Ray52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 15,748
Default

I'm offended that the Wahoo is going to be eliminated. Does my opinion count?
__________________
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm...I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired...I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind..I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
Ray27Ray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #146
SDcardguy24
Member
 
SDcardguy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,510
Default

Good guy Jim Thome weighs in:

__________________
"I can't remember the last time I had a losing day" -EricInCT
"Now what if he were to break his leg tomorrow and damage ligaments and never play again? What would those be worth? Just wondering?" -Brewcrew226
"show me your credentials before you keep speaking" -Running Back
SDcardguy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #147
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
I'm offended that the Wahoo is going to be eliminated. Does my opinion count?
Nope, you’re not whining enough. Which is weird because you’re a Red Sox fan. And they whine a lot
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #148
jataman2612
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You make it sound like they are aliens or something. They are just like you and I. If Casinos were offensive, you would have a point. The reason why casinos are built on reservation land is because of gambling laws that prohibit certain states for setting up casinos. They run the casinos and take their cut.

As for promoting alcoholsim? Thats a far fetched statement. That Bud commercial you watch during the superbowl is what promotes alcoholism!! But thats okay right?
I guess it's because I'm going by what I have read. It always painted a picture to me like they are very strict and have things that they look down on. So I wouldn't think they would be for a casino on a reservation. Apparently they given in to the almighty dollar too.
__________________
Always looking for Cleveland sports memorabilia.
Looking for rare late 90's Indians Cards- if price is right.

Also possibly interested in current Indians (Not crazy about current card designs though)
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #149
jataman2612
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcardguy24 View Post
Good guy Jim Thome weighs in:

He's just taking the safe road so the PC people don't come after him. Unfortunately it's the Hall's choice as to what goes on his cap. But I could see the Hall taking the high road too.
__________________
Always looking for Cleveland sports memorabilia.
Looking for rare late 90's Indians Cards- if price is right.

Also possibly interested in current Indians (Not crazy about current card designs though)
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:52 PM   #150
jdandns
Member
 
jdandns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: California, where begins the shining sea.
Posts: 6,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
I'm offended that the Wahoo is going to be eliminated. Does my opinion count?
It counts, certainly, but how much depends on why you are offended.
Please share why, sparing no detail.
__________________
Smack, smack, Sugar Smacks, gimme a smack, and I'll give you salmonella back...
jdandns is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.