Blowout Cards Forums
Basketball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
BlowoutBuzz

Default First Buzz: 2018 Topps Solo: A Star Wars Story trading cards

First Buzz: 2018 Topps Solo: A Star Wars Story trading cards >> BlowoutBuzz.com #starWars

BlowoutBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
insanepjc

The potential signers for this is pretty awesome, if they can pull it off.
insanepjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
Vargaman

So this comes out a month before the movie, how likely will three be a series 2 to finish the story cards?

Also, a Ron Howard, young han, young lando triple would be insane!

And of course there's patch cards :/ wish they could've done fabric swatches

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Vargaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
ForceChange77

Sounds like a journey set to me aka mission briefing. If that is the case, no new signers
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
BlowoutBuzz

Topps noted that there will be signers from *this* film.
BlowoutBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Vargaman

Honestly, for a standalone, and heck even for Episode 9, there's nothing worth recapping at this point.

Why couldn't they release this after the movie comes out and then have it be a full set? I highly doubt they'll give away the ending and plot point a month early. It makes sense this drops on 4/20 because the people there have to be high lol.

JTTFA made sense because it had to wrap up 6 other films before it. JTTLJ was just a repeat.

Topps needs to cut back the into/journey sets, focus on getting hard signed cards and only put out 4 sets a year with 1 on demand and 1 widevision/web exclusive.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Dewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
Topps needs to cut back the into/journey sets, focus on getting hard signed cards and only put out 4 sets a year with 1 on demand and 1 widevision/web exclusive.
I agree but I don't think it's going to happen.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Vargaman

Just throwing this out there, but anyone else think this movie set should have a flashback subset with Ford/Williams/Mayhew and then they could have auto parallels too?

It'd be huge!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
auctionjmm

Nothing in the solicitation suggests to me that this is a "journey" set. I would not have ordered if it was. All of the solicitation says new characters, new scenes, movie art, cast signers, etc. This sounds to me like Series 1 for sure. Coming out before the movie doesn't mean they have to spoil anything either. If you remember, TFA Series 1 retail came out a full week before the movie with no spoilers even though the base set was all new images and there were new signers. I'm certain the same could be done here.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Nothing in the solicitation suggests to me that this is a "journey" set. I would not have ordered if it was. All of the solicitation says new characters, new scenes, movie art, cast signers, etc. This sounds to me like Series 1 for sure. Coming out before the movie doesn't mean they have to spoil anything either. If you remember, TFA Series 1 retail came out a full week before the movie with no spoilers even though the base set was all new images and there were new signers. I'm certain the same could be done here.
I wasn't implying total journey type set, but they could have a then and now type insert which would only pave the way to include Ford, Williams and Mayhew only in this regard. I can't think of anyone who'd be upset with having the chance to pull those names instead of "Matt Wood as alien #53" haha.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
moistpaper

Yes can’t wait for the patch cards!!! .... said no one ever

Although the Autograph potential should be fresh for once.
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:33 AM   #12
zonacats8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
Just throwing this out there, but anyone else think this movie set should have a flashback subset with Ford/Williams/Mayhew and then they could have auto parallels too?

It'd be huge!
How about a 6 Auto book with each set?

Now that would be amazing
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
jdhaugh11

Looks like the release of this product has been pushed out a month.

The release date is the same as the movie premiere: May 25th.

This is probably a good thing, so that they can hopefully have more revealing images.

There are some great possible signers for this set, if they can just get 3-4 of the bigger names, I will be pretty happy.

You know for sure that Joonas Suotamo & Warwick Davis will be signing

Also Phoebe Waller-Bridge as L3-37 is very likely since Topps loves to have plenty of alien and droids on the auto checklist!

Emilia Clarke is highly likely since she signed for GoT

There are several other great names as well:

Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo (Hopefully very likely)
Woody Harrelson as Tobias Beckett (Not likely is my guess)
Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian (No clue his odds)
Thandie Newton as Val (50/50 I would say)
Jon Favreau as Rio Durant (Kevin's distant cousin!) (Not likely?)
Clint Howard as probably some crazy dude! (Good chance I would say)
Paul Bettany as Dryden Vos (50/50?)

So there looks to be 8 really good possibly signers for this set. Topps can hit a homerun if they can get 4 of these.

Rogue One Series 1 and 2 were really solid because the production was low, plenty of sketch cards and the auto checklist had most of the top people. If only Topps could stick to this blueprint for every product! #aboycandream!

Last edited by jdhaugh11; 03-20-2018 at 01:42 PM.
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
PoPCulture

Awesome!!! This gives just enough time for Topps to squeeze in a “Journey to Find the Road to Solo: A Star Wars Story Illustrated Masterwork” set. Solicitation coming later today from Topps.......stay tuned!
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
Bryanjs14
Banned

Emelia is highly UNLIKELY imo
She signed for one game of thrones set, and hasn’t signed in 5 seasons since.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #16
dd316

Favreau and Newton have also signed before, so there's hope.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #17
ForceChange77

Emilia Clarke hasn't signed for rittenhouse for several years. I dobut she signs this, but who knows. I don't know why you say it is highly likely, I think it is highly unlikely.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
Scottish Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceChange77 View Post
Emilia Clarke hasn't signed for rittenhouse for several years. I dobut she signs this, but who knows. I don't know why you say it is highly likely, I think it is highly unlikely.
Agreed. She was also cause a huge swing in demand if she actually signs.
Scottish Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
bjho852

I just hope to see that at least some of the potential signers will have on-card autographs!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #20
Plinth

I do hope that the release date is pushed out to the opening of the film. Having it a month early was a bit worrisome, considering what the content restrictions might be. This set should be a proper first series, rather than a "journey to" preview set.

Secondly, I hope that they take the Rogue One series 1 approach to the cards, with true photo imagery on the fronts. There seems to be a compromise that Topps has to balance with: If the front imagery is a photograph, there can't be accompanying descriptive text on the back (ROs1)... If the front is a digital painting recreation of a photo, then there can be text on the back (TFAs1 with mixed exceptions & TLJs1).

I have no insider knowledge about this at all, just speculation based on what we've seen for the past few years: It might be that there is some rule where it is forbidden to explain or discuss anything pertaining to a direct image from these films before they're released. But if it is a slightly altered digital painting, there is enough technical separation of the two where they can. If someone has more industry knowledge about this, I'd like to hear it for curiosity's sake.

It's not that the digital paintings look bad; they can be quite nice, and even hyper-real in a mythological way. It's just that I think I personally would prefer the first set in a series to have more photographs, probably for continuity with the sets from previous original and prequel trilogy films. I know that the ROs1 set bothered a lot of people with their relatively blank backs. But if we had to choose between the two options, I would go with forgoing text on the back for a crisp image on the front.
Plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #21
ForceChange77

Even with the release date being pushed to the movie date, I have a feeling the cards will be boring just like a s1 release of last jedi. Mostly stock character poses and some non spoiler action shots or location shots
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #22
ksmith31

I just want Donald Glover...very badly...but he seems like the type that wouldn't sign.
ksmith31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #23
kyle1707

I’m in the minority. But I think this movie is going to be amazing

And yes if they get majority of signers

This could be amazing.

The risk is huge because of auto checklist

I was offered 4 cases and took 2.

Just anything new will be great
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #24
jason00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith31 View Post
I just want Donald Glover...very badly...but he seems like the type that wouldn't sign.
I belong to a few autograph groups and apparently Donald Glover is the second hardest to get in this cast (Woody is the hardest). Maybe they can convince him to sign as part of his promotional duties for the movie, but that doesn't seem like a thing that Topps is able to convince a lot of people to do for SW.
jason00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #25
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason00 View Post
I belong to a few autograph groups and apparently Donald Glover is the second hardest to get in this cast (Woody is the hardest). Maybe they can convince him to sign as part of his promotional duties for the movie, but that doesn't seem like a thing that Topps is able to convince a lot of people to do for SW.
That's a bummer to hear about Woody. He's the one I'd most like to get.